Forum Settings
Forums

Is "Chain Chronicle: Haecceitas no Hikari" the closest thing to a lord of the rings anime?

New
Dec 19, 2016 5:22 AM
Dec 2016
Set in Medieval fantasy world with swords and magic
MC trying to gather an army to defeat evil king,
comes out in Trilogy,
Thoughts?
Dec 19, 2016 5:49 AM

Nov 2009
Yes, "Chain Chronicle" seems to share a genre ("high fantasy") with Lord of the Rings. Note that in the past, high fantasy was a lot more popular, so there are some old anime with similar plots.
Nowadays, authors are too often embarrassed to play this genre straight, because it's considered cliche.
Dec 31, 2016 3:57 AM

Jul 2007
flannan said:

Nowadays, authors are too often embarrassed to play this genre straight, because it's considered cliche.

Yet they are not embarassed to churn out dozens of isekai? somehow that is not cliche?

There's nothing wrong with a fantasy setting done right, no one is embarassed at doing it. Its just way more work than just adapting an isekai ln that sells nowadays.
Dec 31, 2016 3:59 AM
Apr 2013
I only want a second season of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. Come on Japan.
Dec 31, 2016 4:07 AM

Nov 2009
Fai said:
flannan said:

Yet they are not embarassed to churn out dozens of isekai? somehow that is not cliche?

There's nothing wrong with a fantasy setting done right, no one is embarassed at doing it. Its just way more work than just adapting an isekai ln that sells nowadays.

"Dozens" has nothing on the amount of high fantasies that were written in their heyday.
The sub-genre of "isekai" has resorted to self-parodies by now (like KonoSuba), so it must be going out of fashion too.
By the way, isekai is about as old as high fantasy, having started in modern form by C.S. Lewis with his Narnia books.
Dec 31, 2016 6:32 AM

Jul 2007
flannan said:
Fai said:

"Dozens" has nothing on the amount of high fantasies that were written in their heyday.
The sub-genre of "isekai" has resorted to self-parodies by now (like KonoSuba), so it must be going out of fashion too.
By the way, isekai is about as old as high fantasy, having started in modern form by C.S. Lewis with his Narnia books.

Does not change the fact that LN isekai shlock with long titles is about as safest of bets as possible in terms of adaptations.

That is the reason why we get almost no fantasy works ever nowadays. Not embarrassment.
Jan 16, 2017 12:29 PM
Mar 2012
There's Spectral Force/Chronicle Divergence ovas. King also looks similar, tho this is Ideafactory garbage.
Jan 16, 2017 12:39 PM

Aug 2014
I'd say Lodoss is much closer.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 28, 2017 1:14 AM

Dec 2015
The problem with such anime is: The plot usually is not that interesting. They heavily rely on other stuff to attract users and keep them watching. Tbh other than LotR I don't know many other western fantasy movies that are set in their own fantasy world that are good/interesting. And for LotR a lot of enjoyment for me came from the music and the landscapes (I even liked this in the books when they got described.) Other good/intersting movies were Willow (with the dwarf/hobbit guy that wants to be a magician ... more like dark fantasy already and not high fantasy).

Then there is lots of other crap ... not even mediocre. Those D&D movies ... it just doesn't work. Might be fun as games but in a movie I just don't like it. (Too much magic and the Gandalf-style magic in LotR ... less throwing fireballs around and overpowerd - was much better.) And always that 1 black guy ... just to have at least 1 black in the movie. (I think the english terms fore it are "token black" or somethng like that.) And really bad/uninteresting personality. Always some silent brutal guy that gets feared by others (and in the end he is nice and cares for other members of his party and sacrifices himself for them).

I guess for for anime - especially with the anime art style - it is even harder. Tbh I prefer human faces and mimics for such "high fantasy".
Feb 20, 2017 10:35 PM

Dec 2015
It has already been animated. "Long ago".

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chain Chronicle: Haecceitas no Hikari Part 1 Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2016

36 by Zaphkiel_El_Rem »»
Jun 8, 2017 9:46 AM

» watch order?

SferRae - Feb 27, 2017

2 by Rei_III »»
Apr 16, 2017 1:11 PM

» Anyone notice Aram is missing from characters list

Katanah - Jan 3, 2017

0 by Katanah »»
Jan 3, 2017 9:53 AM

» The ending theme has a released preview. It will be done by nano

GiantQAACSleier - Oct 21, 2016

3 by GiantQAACSleier »»
Oct 21, 2016 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.