Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2016 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, another serious tone episode :o

For the finale, they had one of those climatic battles to wrap things up. I found that kinda fitting considering all the storytelling up to this point. Yasusada also popped up at the right place at the right time to make a timely save.

Well I guess the show was okay overall, had some episodes I found pretty entertaining while others not so much.
Dec 18, 2016 8:03 AM

Oct 2016
Well, the last episode officially confirms that Ufotables Anime is NOT sequel for anyone that still thought it was. and I'm glad for that because I did not want the Two anime to be connected in any way. I did enjoy Hanamaru, though. And I'm a little sad now that its over and I won't have anything to look forward to on Sundays until Ufotables Anime premiers , whenever that will be. Hanamaru was fun but it had its flaws. The bias toward Yamato was really annoying and they really didn't take the given opportunities to develop the characters outside of him. Hell, even Kashuu was pushed aside for Yamato despite being a main character too. I felt this anime could have worked just as easily if it didn't have a main character at all but whatever.

The bad things: This anime felt really generic in some aspects and some of the little events were taken from the anthologies, only thinly masked by changing the characters up a bit. How it ended was predictable. The fight scenes and bits of drama were a little.. Eh.. Yamato was a very annoying not fun protag as I predicted he would be from the beginning. Some of the episodes were boring. A lot of the characters were fucked ( Taroutachi for example BARELY having any lines. Honebami as well might be him just being the quiet type. ) revealing what the Okita looked like ( as well as mutsu and nagasones masters ) though I knew it would happen. Certain sword families DID NOT GET A LOT OF INTERACTIONS ( sanjou school for example ). Not all of the swords got a chance to sing which wasn't fair IMO, certain sword schools didn't get endings together despite them all being there, certain swords being in more than one ending ( AWATAGUCHI ) which could have easily gone to another sword group, Yamato being the main character at all. The off models. There were a lot more than I desired to see

The good things: animated sword boys, lots of scenetime for my faves/the more interesting touken danshi, THERE WERE GOOD EPISODES, almost everyone was incharacter and really remnant of their ingame selves, saniwa WAS NOT revealed which is good. The ending themes were good every time and beautifully aesthetic, MIKATSURU. Swords family acknowledgement, this really did feel like a touken ranbu anime, the anime saniwa was relatable, SOME of the drama was done right, character struggles were believable and suited their characters ( kashuu being jealous of mikazuki for example, budget lips, the awakening scenes were absolutely beautiful, when the animation wasn't shitty- it was great. The voice acting but then again, most of the VAS are professional.

If you could look past the flaws, Hanamaru was very good. There were lots of missed opportunities but still if you're touken ranbu fan, i can't imagine why you wouldn't enjoy this anime. Flawed but a good watch. I'm going to miss it. Probably will rewatch it ( or just my favorite episodes ) now and again while I wait for Ufotables anime to premiere
Dec 18, 2016 8:08 AM

Mar 2013
good job touken ranbu: hanamaru.. dogakobo.

good job for making us cry. ah KASHUU!
so the Kebishii arrived. Amazing Masuda Toshiki-san's cry makes me cry.
amazing! it's now over :(
now waiting for ufotable.

10/10
honokiDec 18, 2016 7:50 PM
Dec 18, 2016 9:07 AM

Feb 2016
the last part of it was so cute!!!
aaaa ;;;;
we had some really cute parts this episode (despite the inkedaya part that got me nERVOUS)
AWESOME ;;;
now ufotable needs to be here~
Dec 18, 2016 10:51 AM

Dec 2014
So this was, alright I guess. Dogakobo brings it the virtue of very goofy yet clean animation for the comedy, and the action sequences aren't bad either! That said though, I'm not really a fan of the humor, and for a show centered around that, that's not the best thing in the world to have. Still, the show was a good enough time waster to prevent it from being a 5 or below.

6/10
Dec 18, 2016 11:16 AM

May 2010
The musical for Atsukashiyama arc, the stage play for Honnouji arc, and Hanamaru for Shinsengumi arc. I couldn't get any happier. I'm so glad this one ended with a proper ending too. Now onto waiting for 2nd musical for Shinsengumi arc and ufotable's version.

They made very good use of Kebiishi appearance and when Yasusada went onto a journey by himself I couldn't help myself from thinking he's getting Kiwame...
petalshredsDec 18, 2016 11:22 AM
Dec 18, 2016 11:54 AM

Jul 2014
Yagen and Shoku wear their gloves in the bath
theY KBC'D THE MAP IM LAFFING
And those Okitagumi feels <///3
Lmfao it's like Yasusada is getting a kiwame or smth

Overall a fantastic show, as a big fan of the game I loved every second of it. Hoping ufotable's will deliver as well.
Dec 18, 2016 4:36 PM

Feb 2013
Kinda wish more people had watched this. It was pretty good, nothing amazing, but entertaining to say the least. My favorite part of the whole season was them singing making noodles XD

7/10
Dec 18, 2016 8:16 PM

Jun 2015
Decent episode. Everything wrapped up nicely at the inn. As for the show, it's not my kind of series. There were some moments I liked, and some I didn't. I'm not a fan of the humor that much and the action was not that good TBH. An okay show overall.
Dec 18, 2016 10:20 PM
Sep 2013
A good show with an overall peaceful and soothing atmosphere. I looked forward to watching this every week and I got quite attached to the characters. It's somewhat generic to a certain extent but I don't really mind it. I wasn't looking forward for anything serious to watch anyway. Somehow, the last two episodes really moved me, the show was actually on a 7/10 but I moved it to 8/10 because as I've said before I got really attached to the sword boys that I even did some research and found out that their history is really interesting. In the end, I got myself even more attached to them so the enjoyability of this show just rose even higher. I look forward to the Ufotable version of this but at the same time I'm quite nervous because of the "serious" vibes that I'm getting from the PV. What if one of the sword boys break? Goodness! Just when I'm starting to like them (T_T)
dammdd123Dec 18, 2016 10:28 PM
Dec 19, 2016 1:04 AM

Aug 2010
I'm so biased, but my score is a solid 9/10 because I enjoyed all the references and what not, also episode 7 with AWT48 is still 100/10 LOL

Anywho, the episode itself was pretty predictable but the KBC showing up was a definite plus and they executed it very nicely. I guess the important question for the ending is did Yasusada go on the kiwame journey or not and is this a possible hint towards the next set of kiwame swords.... Hmm

Also insert song was solid and Kane-san Shinken Hissatsu!! Overally very enjoyable and can't wait till Ufotable and whether they decide to go the dark route or not (so not ready for any swords breaking)
Dec 19, 2016 5:06 AM
Dec 2015
MikazukiRanbu said:
Well, the last episode officially confirms that Ufotables Anime is NOT sequel for anyone that still thought it was. and I'm glad for that because I did not want the Two anime to be connected in any way. I did enjoy Hanamaru, though. And I'm a little sad now that its over and I won't have anything to look forward to on Sundays until Ufotables Anime premiers , whenever that will be. Hanamaru was fun but it had its flaws. The bias toward Yamato was really annoying and they really didn't take the given opportunities to develop the characters outside of him. Hell, even Kashuu was pushed aside for Yamato despite being a main character too. I felt this anime could have worked just as easily if it didn't have a main character at all but whatever.

The bad things: This anime felt really generic in some aspects and some of the little events were taken from the anthologies, only thinly masked by changing the characters up a bit. How it ended was predictable. The fight scenes and bits of drama were a little.. Eh.. Yamato was a very annoying not fun protag as I predicted he would be from the beginning. Some of the episodes were boring. A lot of the characters were fucked ( Taroutachi for example BARELY having any lines. Honebami as well might be him just being the quiet type. ) revealing what the Okita looked like ( as well as mutsu and nagasones masters ) though I knew it would happen. Certain sword families DID NOT GET A LOT OF INTERACTIONS ( sanjou school for example ). Not all of the swords got a chance to sing which wasn't fair IMO, certain sword schools didn't get endings together despite them all being there, certain swords being in more than one ending ( AWATAGUCHI ) which could have easily gone to another sword group, Yamato being the main character at all. The off models. There were a lot more than I desired to see

The good things: animated sword boys, lots of scenetime for my faves/the more interesting touken danshi, THERE WERE GOOD EPISODES, almost everyone was incharacter and really remnant of their ingame selves, saniwa WAS NOT revealed which is good. The ending themes were good every time and beautifully aesthetic, MIKATSURU. Swords family acknowledgement, this really did feel like a touken ranbu anime, the anime saniwa was relatable, SOME of the drama was done right, character struggles were believable and suited their characters ( kashuu being jealous of mikazuki for example, budget lips, the awakening scenes were absolutely beautiful, when the animation wasn't shitty- it was great. The voice acting but then again, most of the VAS are professional.

If you could look past the flaws, Hanamaru was very good. There were lots of missed opportunities but still if you're touken ranbu fan, i can't imagine why you wouldn't enjoy this anime. Flawed but a good watch. I'm going to miss it. Probably will rewatch it ( or just my favorite episodes ) now and again while I wait for Ufotables anime to premiere

Hello, I just want to ask if Okita Souji lived the Ikeda Inn incident historically, just like how this was implied in the last episode? I thought he died there in the 2nd floor but it was shown he was helped out by Kondou (if that was Kondou).

EDIT: Ahh I researched and it seems he did not die in Ikeda Inn? Based on how the anime portrayed the Ikedaya incident, I thought that was where he was gonna die and that's why Yamatonokami felt the need to save him.
Loyalty06Dec 19, 2016 5:22 AM
Dec 19, 2016 7:00 AM

Feb 2014
Ahhhhhhh I thought we were going to get a sneaky preview of Yasusada's kiwame form... Maybe when it eventually comes out he'll have a little flower hair pin. This is a cross media reference that's too good to miss.

Overall: Eh. Cozy and better than KanColle adaptation, but that doesn't say much tbh.
Dec 19, 2016 9:03 AM
Feb 2016
For an episode that left us hanging last week and in a such a way that makes us palpitating I was left a bit disappointed that the continuation doesn't have the same effect as it has of the previous episode. It was worrisome when Yasusada is missing from all the photograph that it can only lead to thinking something must have happened in Ikeda Inn but maybe they took too much time in asking what everyone thinks about it that the scene of Yasusada trying to save Okita-kun and Kiyomitsu trying to save him from making mistakes of changing history is a bit short for my taste. But after they come back and Yasusada chose to leave the citadel for a while I thought we're going to have a sad scene or something like that but it was all over in just a second. The time-skip is really fast. Faster than any shows I've watched. All in all I enjoyed this show every week and so I can't wait for the 2017 version (*゚▽゚*)
Dec 19, 2016 9:22 AM

Dec 2015
Wow, I actually cried. This show manages to touch me, I'm amazed. Now eagerly looking forward to ufotable's one in 2017!
Dec 20, 2016 11:54 PM

May 2016
Beautiful Ending >.< Too much emotions and stuff. The anime is end already but, we never have a chance to see their Master's face tsk, too bad can't wait for the new Touken Ranbu Project by Ufotable in 2017. :D

Dec 22, 2016 5:07 AM

Oct 2013
Overall was really enjoyable for me
I loved the catching Blue bird episode.
I thought Yama wasnt coming back 😶😶😶

Glad of the sweet ending. 7/10
Dec 22, 2016 7:18 PM

Oct 2008
So that's whats gonna happened if the good guys try to tamper the course of history, the Renegade Army would also get stronger and would also try to stop the good guys. Anyways S2 would be done by ufotable looks promising!
4/5.
7/10.

Dec 22, 2016 8:41 PM

Dec 2012
I might be biased as a fan of the game, but I appreciate this anime for being one of those feel good anime which was light hearted and just cheerful, despite the lack of plot and progression. I simply enjoyed the warm happy vibes from watching it. I totally loved the artwork for the different endings almost every episode. Heck, it's only one of the few times where I didn't skip an ending for an anime.
I'll be looking forward for the Ufotable adaptation and the picture with all of them at the end was lovely and made me smile for sure.
allo
Dec 23, 2016 4:14 AM

Mar 2016
Overall it's good peaceful anime until the last 2 episode.
I wonder how they didn't reveal the master until the end of this anime.
And When Yamatonokami was going to somewhere, what's happen? Why's he suddenly back home?, what's Yamatonokami doing when in his travel?
Full of question.....
And the solution is watch the ufotable version in 2017.

But although i didn't play the game, i think i'm enjoy the whole episodes
Good job Doga Kobo for the great monday

Dec 23, 2016 8:03 AM

Oct 2016
Rio_ said:
And When Yamatonokami was going to somewhere, what's happen? Why's he suddenly back home?, what's Yamatonokami doing when in his travel?
Full of question.....

Well, for one. Watching the Ufotable version isnt going to answer any of the questions in Hanamaru because its been confirmed that they aren't connected. So whatever wasnt answered in Hanamaru won't be answered at all UNLESS Hanamaru gets a season 2 which it likely won't considering how they ended it.

However. Its been speculated that when Yamato went off he went to Kiwame. Go on a long journey to meet his past masters and learn new things from them. Its a thing the characters do in game as well but when they do, they usually come back with a new outfit which yamato didnt. Eventually though, yamato will kiwame ingame so then maybe theyll tie the anime incidents into the games story but maybe not since theyre separate mediums.
Dec 24, 2016 12:55 PM

Oct 2011
omfg beautiful ending 😭😭😭
Yamato Kiwame!!!???ahhh
Dec 25, 2016 4:12 PM
Sep 2015
unmemorablehero said:
Kinda wish more people had watched this. It was pretty good, nothing amazing, but entertaining to say the least. My favorite part of the whole season was them singing making noodles XD

7/10

well maybe because of the fanarts, people thought that this anime is kinda Yaoi. Since yeah all characters are boys. But I am lucky that I did not drop this series. It's beautiful.

Excited for Ufotable's touken ranbu. I think that will be a serious one. Touken Ranbu is really good when it comes to the serious battles.
Dec 25, 2016 8:38 PM
Dec 2016
matias067 said:
So that's whats gonna happened if the good guys try to tamper the course of history, the Renegade Army would also get stronger and would also try to stop the good guys. Anyways S2 would be done by ufotable looks promising!
4/5.
7/10.

That is not History Renegade Army. They are the Kebiishi.
Dec 27, 2016 9:55 AM

Jun 2015
second season I need a second season it's serious.

that awkward moment when I realized that I'm the master of the castle and things weren't the same anymore.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 27, 2016 9:56 AM

Jun 2015
Rio_ said:
Full of question.....

you are the master. I am the master. anyone who watches it is the master
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 29, 2016 8:38 AM

Apr 2014
That ending almost made me cry.
Too bad only few people watch this.
Anyway I'll rate this show a 7 out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 31, 2016 12:41 AM

Dec 2012
An action episode to end this anime :). It was a good episode were I liked the SoL moments and the battle with Okita.
Touken Ranbu: Hanamaruwas was decent, but without something really interesting. I found a lot of the episodes a little boring and the others ok. I hope that the new anime with Ufotable will be better and that I would be able to remember the names of the characters ^^
Jan 4, 2017 12:26 PM
Mar 2012
I don't know. The end was kinda really weird. That toally didn't make any sense.
Jan 5, 2017 6:21 AM

Jul 2014
That ending kinda flew by... Yasusada left so suddenly then came back just as fast. It made it a little hard to really feel the impact of him leaving. Then again I didn't even take this anime too seriously so it doesn't really bother me. lol

Anyway, the thing I enjoyed about this anime was the characters (loved the diversity) and the connection to real historic facts. Like I said in my comment from the previous episode, if only this anime focused more on the history rather than being too casual and full of comedy, I think this would've made for a better show (for me anyway). I was really happy with the focus on Okita though (I'm a fan of the Shinsengumi and everything else related to that point of time in Japan). Would've been great to have as much focus on the other swords and their former masters like when they brought up Nobunaga, they could've gone more into that but sadly didn't. As I said, this show had a lot of potential! But since it was clearly not meant to be all too serious, I still enjoyed it for what it was~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Feb 12, 2017 9:34 AM

Jun 2011
Uhh guess this means I am not gonna watch the second season.

Let me first start off by saying I've briefly read the top 2 reviews for this series, and from what I've gathered apparently this show is more or less for the game fans. I can definitely see why it's fun to play in game format, but it doesn't translate well into anime.

My main issue with the series is that it doesn't know what it wanted to be. There's a lot of fluff which does not go hand in hand with some of the drama they were trying to sell. You're telling me that all the feminine guys can actually fight? Wot? It's cringey because of the mix of 2 opposite sides. It's like drinking a kiwi juice after you just drank some fresh milk, bad mix.

There was also an episode where 2 guys just started singing their words for no reason at all, that was pure cringe. I can't help but think that this show is heavily, heavily catered towards female who have appreciation for good looking feminine guys (in looks and personality), and love listening to the "hot" voice of male seiyuu. Basically, while the "yaoi" or "fujoshi bait" criticism is often misused, I think most of us actually do know what those people were saying.

Had they just kept it simple and make it a pure slice of life series, it may have been much better/enjoyable. Also, for some reason I feel like there's a new character introduced in every episode. There's way too less time for such a large cast of characters, they barely developed any of them but 2, I honestly couldn't care less about them to actually remember any of their names.

The only part I liked was the creepy ass epilogue to that ghost story.

Unless season 2 changed some stuffs up, I'll most likely skip on that one, as much as I'd hate dropping a series.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 26, 2017 5:53 AM
Dec 2009
Personally I would have enjoyed this show 100 times more if it was actually educational. I wish they taught you more of the history behind each sword and their original masters. I feel like that was a really missed opportunity.

To me, the show was just a very average slice-of-life series with little to no direction. I think I would recommend it to fans of the game or voice actors, but that's it really. Interesting they threw in some time travel drama at the end but it felt like too little plot too late.

ToG25thBaam said:
My main issue with the series is that it doesn't know what it wanted to be. There's a lot of fluff which does not go hand in hand with some of the drama they were trying to sell.

I agree with this sentiment. Most of the time it just seemed like a silly slice-of-life show. But they would occasionally start talking about past masters/battles and try to get dramatic but it just wasn't very convincing after seeing them singing while making udon or dressing each other up.
Jul 13, 2019 9:12 PM

Nov 2009
It saddens me that Hanamaru has a low score, I absolutely adored it and that's coming from someone who wasn't previously a big fan of slice of life, comedy, large casts or all male casts. The comedy was spot on to my tastes, tending to be on the dry side. Whilst Hasebe isn't my favorite character, he's pure comedy gold. I feel like him and Kashuu are the backbone of this series. I'm a serious type of person but Hanamaru had me laughing without fail every episode. It had a lot of positive moral messages throughout and portrayed its characters and their insecurities well, they were very relatable and endearing. Every episode had something to offer, even if my favorite characters didn't appear. This series has so much heart, charm and attention to detail, even every unique ED was beautifully done. Overall, I just love the warm feeling I get whilst watching it, my Touken Ranbu boys really put me at ease *laughs* I finished both seasons and then started re-watching it straight away which is something I never do. Even from an objective standpoint I just feel like it's very well made all-round.
Feb 16, 2023 12:15 AM
May 2018
the anime was so cute and loved about knowing about the different swords from their era and history.
also, seeing their emotions towards their fallen former masters.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2016

33 by lunarches »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:12 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2016

22 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:07 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2016

12 by iamafreak »»
Feb 15, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2016

173 by Guts-Valley »»
Jun 7, 2022 11:42 PM

» Should I watch Touken Ranbu Hanamaru?

RuiZleipa - Jan 28, 2018

6 by Konani »»
Jan 20, 2019 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.