Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2016 2:24 PM
Nov 2016
There are a lot of anime that people talk very highly of, but they warn that the second season isn't good.

Psycho Pass
Darker Than Black
Black Butler
Log Horizon

just to name a few, but then you have anime that did a lot of things right, but failed in other parts.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon (That thieving girl was annoying)
Phantom:Requiem of the Phantom.
Soul Eater (I know Excalibur is supposed to be annoying. They did such a good job that it makes me want to stop watching it or fast forward).
Hellsing Ultimate (The goofy parts kind of weren't need. I know they were in the manga, but it just took away from the show)

I have no idea if this is true or not with most of these shows as I haven't seen them (I've seen girls in a dungeon and Soul Eater and Hellsing Ultimate), but it's because people say these things about these shows that I am hesitant to watch them (and it's not just 1 or 2 people saying this). If I watch one of these anime and really like it/love it, I don't want to go into the second season and be all disappointed.

Why do you think this happens with anime? (it happens with all forms entertainment, but sometimes the second season of anime is just filler and then the companies wonder why it's not selling....).
There are exceptions where the second season is the superior one, but that doesn't happen often.

Do you still watch an anime even if you know the second season is meh?
Could the companies perhaps be trying to kill a franchise because it's popular, but it has a niche audience so they aren't making that much money off it? (conspiracies are fun)
What are your thoughts on the matter?

Dec 16, 2016 2:29 PM

Jul 2014
Excalibur was the best thing from Soul Eater.
Dec 16, 2016 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
sequels are usually bad as they say even Hollywood movie sequels have that bad reputation

but still i watch it

i recommend you watch Psycho-Pass already the second season is no way that horrible but just average and i bet you can still find it enjoyable
Dec 16, 2016 2:38 PM
Nov 2016
Aria-da-Capo said:
Excalibur was the best thing from Soul Eater.
I really thought I was gonna like him, but no.

j0x said:
sequels are usually bad as they say even Hollywood movie sequels have that bad reputation

but still i watch it

i recommend you watch Psycho-Pass already the second season is no way that horrible but just average and i bet you can still find it enjoyable
Thanks for that. I'm happy to hear it's just average and not terrible. I really have been wanting to watch this. I almost bought it blindly...almost.
Dec 16, 2016 2:44 PM
Nov 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
i do not get the purpose of this post
do you want to discuss about sequels being worst or anime flaws in general?
also do you seem to se bothered with some of the anime you mention having some flaws.i would be lying if i said all of my favorites did not have some annoying moments and this stays true for other forms of media
I guess I'm trying to discuss the second season of things and how anime companies put out a crappy season (sometimes filled with nothing but fluff) and they wonder why their show didn't sell well. It just seems that once a company has made their money, they just stop caring about the quality. Like their done making that show, but people are still asking for another season.
Dec 16, 2016 2:46 PM

Oct 2014
well i have no idea why you brought anime tht did most of everything right but failed in something do you want to discuss anime flaws in general or just sequels usually being worst
also the biggest reason for those sequels being worst is poor planning it is way easier at the start for those series since they had a long previously planned start but as the demand for new episodes continues it gets way harder to remain some consistency
Dec 16, 2016 2:52 PM

Nov 2016
kukukachu said:
There are a lot of anime that people talk very highly of, but they warn that the second season isn't good.

Psycho Pass
Darker Than Black
Black Butler
Log Horizon

None of these shows sequels weren't "bad" they just weren't as good as the first series. If you like a show you just might enjoy the these "bad" sequels. Also you should actually try watching these shows because everyone likes different things, so could never know if would like Log Horizon 2 without watching it.
kukukachu said:
just to name a few, but then you have anime that did a lot of things right, but failed in other parts.

There is no such thing as a perfect show everything has flaws, so stop worrying about a such a small detail, anime is made to be enjoyed
Dec 16, 2016 2:52 PM

Oct 2014
kukukachu said:
gabrielrroiz said:
i do not get the purpose of this post
do you want to discuss about sequels being worst or anime flaws in general?
also do you seem to se bothered with some of the anime you mention having some flaws.i would be lying if i said all of my favorites did not have some annoying moments and this stays true for other forms of media
I guess I'm trying to discuss the second season of things and how anime companies put out a crappy season (sometimes filled with nothing but fluff) and they wonder why their show didn't sell well. It just seems that once a company has made their money, they just stop caring about the quality. Like their done making that show, but people are still asking for another season.

i tend to think they stop caring about quality because a show that stablished a loyal fanbase will sell regardless of the quality of the product it is also kind of way easier to sell a tv series on brand recognition than make a new show
the biggest example for this occuring i can think is not even from anime but the series the walking dead has an abismal drop in quality between season 1 and 2 but the series remained as comercially sucessfull
Dec 16, 2016 2:59 PM
Nov 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
well i have no idea why you brought anime tht did most of everything right but failed in something do you want to discuss anime flaws in general or just sequels usually being worst
also the biggest reason for those sequels being worst is poor planning it is way easier at the start for those series since they had a long previously planned start but as the demand for new episodes continues it gets way harder to remain some consistency
I kind of want to discuss both. I actually I want to discuss even more topics, but these are fine for now. I bought anime that did mostly what I liked because it was still good even with the "flaws". But why do you think these manga authors/animation directors make these characters you can't stand and/or change the mood of the show that just feels awkward? Do they think the people watching/reading can't handle all of the feels and so they throw in a comedic relief? I don't mind comedic relief when it is done well (like puck), but it's all about presentation and a lot of shows fail in that sense.

You would think they would care a little more about something that is making them money, yet they just seem like they don't care and just pump it out and hope it makes money. I'm watching Log Horizon season 1 right now and I am worried about season 2. It just doesn't make sense to me how s1 can get a rating of 8 and season 2 gets a 6....it's just stupid to not even try to make a show a cash cow if you know people are liking it.
Dec 16, 2016 5:02 PM

May 2015
Basically when you find the first one very good, you expect the sequel to surpass it. And if the sequel doesn't surpass it, you end up disappointed...

In my case, I watch everything that an anime has to offer. If I watch the first season, I'm obligated to watch the second season. I don't like leaving stories incomplete, which is why I watch the following season regardless of ratings.

And of course while anime is entertainment, it is still a business. If they don't find a specific series profitable, then that reduces the chance of it getting a sequel. And sometimes these sequels get half-assed, so people may not like them, but the companies still get the money from it...It's cruel, but that's business...
Dec 16, 2016 8:49 PM

Sep 2015
kukukachu said:
gabrielrroiz said:
I kind of want to discuss both. I actually I want to discuss even more topics, but these are fine for now. I bought anime that did mostly what I liked because it was still good even with the "flaws". But why do you think these manga authors/animation directors make these characters you can't stand and/or change the mood of the show that just feels awkward? Do they think the people watching/reading can't handle all of the feels and so they throw in a comedic relief? I don't mind comedic relief when it is done well (like puck), but it's all about presentation and a lot of shows fail in that sense.

You would think they would care a little more about something that is making them money, yet they just seem like they don't care and just pump it out and hope it makes money. I'm watching Log Horizon season 1 right now and I am worried about season 2. It just doesn't make sense to me how s1 can get a rating of 8 and season 2 gets a 6....it's just stupid to not even try to make a show a cash cow if you know people are liking it.
Well first, there's no escaping flaws in a show. They all have them. It's just up to you the viewer to decide how much those flaws affect your enjoyment of the show. Secondly, the content that the creators put in like comedic relief might work in theory to them but in the final product it might not. There's also the argument that people perceive things differently. You find Excalibur to be an annoying little prick it somebody else might find him incredibly entertaining.

As for poor sequels, well depends on a lot factors. Like @gabrielrroiz said it could be due to poor planning prof it's an adaptation maybe it's source material isn't as strong as the first. Using the example of Psycho Pass its sequel is horrible because the original creator, Gen Urobuchi, wasn't on the project so writing was handed over to another writer,
Tow Ubukata. Now the higher ups in charge of Psycho Pass thought this would be fine but obviously it didn't wotk out cause Ubukata lacked a good understanding of the core themes and essential elements that made up the first season.

Again, a lot of these depend on various factors. Just don't let small flaws or poor sequels ruin your love for your favourite anime.
Dec 16, 2016 8:53 PM
Mar 2016
black butler second season just filler,100 percent filler
Dec 16, 2016 9:49 PM

Jan 2016
Frankly I don't really give a shit about a show's shortcomings. Unless a show is unbearable I keep watching it and if there is a second season I watch that too.

Even if a show is not great I can still get some enjoyment out of it.

Please do yourself a favor and watch Psycho Pass and Log Horizon. Both are great and while their second seasons aren't as good as the originals they are still good.

In regards to why second seasons are usually not as good as the first season it's usually a number of factors. In the case of Psycho Pass for example it's second season was made by a different group of people. From my understanding at least Urbuchi basically made season 1 and then went to work on the movie and then a different group of people worked on season 2. In the case of Log Horizon it's second season was made by a completely different studio.

I can go on and on. Season 2 of Code Geass is often disliked because people feel that the story fell apart in that season.

Dec 16, 2016 10:05 PM

Jul 2014
Don't watch Phantom:Requiem of the Phantom straight garbage, a true train wreck of a show.
Dec 16, 2016 10:08 PM

Jun 2015
You're asking a lot of questions and generalizing a lot, but I'll comment on a few things.

P-P2 has a more consistent theme and comes together better than the first season, it's just rushed.
Also, it's not just the goofy parts of Hellsing Ultimate that are offputting. The show is excessive for shock value and it also has that odd tonal imbalance. Just feels messy.

I do watch anime that have supposedly bad second seasons, or shows that are supposedly bad in general. I don't trust most opinions, especially negative ones.
No, companies don't ruin a show to kill it off. If the show is popular with only a few, they just won't make a second season.

Dec 17, 2016 12:46 AM

May 2015
Each season is its own piece of work and I review separately. I don't care if the second season is crap. I only care what happens now.

No reason to keep myself from a good anime just because the sequel isn't good.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 17, 2016 12:47 AM
Nov 2016
RagingDominican said:
kukukachu said:

Psycho Pass
Darker Than Black
Black Butler
Log Horizon

None of these shows sequels weren't "bad" they just weren't as good as the first series. If you like a show you just might enjoy the these "bad" sequels. Also you should actually try watching these shows because everyone likes different things, so could never know if would like Log Horizon 2 without watching it.
kukukachu said:

There is no such thing as a perfect show everything has flaws, so stop worrying about a such a small detail, anime is made to be enjoyed
Wise words, man. Thank you. I will try to remember them when this crosses my mind again.

gabrielrroiz said:
kukukachu said:

i tend to think they stop caring about quality because a show that stablished a loyal fanbase will sell regardless of the quality of the product it is also kind of way easier to sell a tv series on brand recognition than make a new show
the biggest example for this occuring i can think is not even from anime but the series the walking dead has an abismal drop in quality between season 1 and 2 but the series remained as comercially sucessfull
That would make a lot of sense, but I was reading other comments and I didn't know, but some second seasons are made from entirely different people/companies. That explains a lot.

Daconator said:
I haven't found this a tendency, least not yet, because I have watched just as many good second seasons, some I thought excelled the first.
Oh? What shows are you watching?

Tarotist said:
Basically when you find the first one very good, you expect the sequel to surpass it. And if the sequel doesn't surpass it, you end up disappointed...

In my case, I watch everything that an anime has to offer. If I watch the first season, I'm obligated to watch the second season. I don't like leaving stories incomplete, which is why I watch the following season regardless of ratings.

And of course while anime is entertainment, it is still a business. If they don't find a specific series profitable, then that reduces the chance of it getting a sequel. And sometimes these sequels get half-assed, so people may not like them, but the companies still get the money from it...It's cruel, but that's business...

Sometimes you don't have a choice to complete the anime because they didn't finish it...then you have to read the manga if you really want to know what happens....like Claymore....I really wish they had kept making that show.

-nods- I see. That is a good way to look at it. It sucks, but makes sense.

amk_2397 said:
kukukachu said:

Well first, there's no escaping flaws in a show. They all have them. It's just up to you the viewer to decide how much those flaws affect your enjoyment of the show. Secondly, the content that the creators put in like comedic relief might work in theory to them but in the final product it might not. There's also the argument that people perceive things differently. You find Excalibur to be an annoying little prick it somebody else might find him incredibly entertaining.

As for poor sequels, well depends on a lot factors. Like @gabrielrroiz said it could be due to poor planning prof it's an adaptation maybe it's source material isn't as strong as the first. Using the example of Psycho Pass its sequel is horrible because the original creator, Gen Urobuchi, wasn't on the project so writing was handed over to another writer,
Tow Ubukata. Now the higher ups in charge of Psycho Pass thought this would be fine but obviously it didn't wotk out cause Ubukata lacked a good understanding of the core themes and essential elements that made up the first season.

Again, a lot of these depend on various factors. Just don't let small flaws or poor sequels ruin your love for your favourite anime.
I found out that the Excalibur was/is only in the anime and was/is not in the manga....I wonder why the director thought "Hey, let's put in a really annoying character that makes you want to hit your head into a wall whenever he talks." ? I take it that you also think he is a little annoying prick :D

Thank you for the information. I feel as though I understand a lot more,but it sucks though. Why are people oki just handing over their hard work? I can understand someone else creating a single episode (this has been done for Adventure Time a few times), but not entirely taking over and becoming the new director. What the hell are they thinking? Pychopass is now on my top priority list.

animangaddict said:
black butler second season just filler,100 percent filler
Seriously, why even bother creating something if it's just filler?

Ratchetdude231 said:
Frankly I don't really give a shit about a show's shortcomings. Unless a show is unbearable I keep watching it and if there is a second season I watch that too.

Even if a show is not great I can still get some enjoyment out of it.

Please do yourself a favor and watch Psycho Pass and Log Horizon. Both are great and while their second seasons aren't as good as the originals they are still good.

In regards to why second seasons are usually not as good as the first season it's usually a number of factors. In the case of Psycho Pass for example it's second season was made by a different group of people. From my understanding at least Urbuchi basically made season 1 and then went to work on the movie and then a different group of people worked on season 2. In the case of Log Horizon it's second season was made by a completely different studio.

I can go on and on. Season 2 of Code Geass is often disliked because people feel that the story fell apart in that season.
That's a great attitude.

Here is a good example of a show doing something wrong. On the first half of Maburaho, I was hooked and I love it then season 2 came along and they made Yuna sooooooooooo annoying. They changed the character completely. I pulled through and watched the whole thing, but it was hard. This character that you loved in s1 turned into an entirely different person and you HATED her by the end of it. I still wonder to this day....what the hell were they thinking?

Psychopass is now in my top priority list, thank you.

How do you feel about the announcement of s3? Do you feel like it is a cash grab?

mattao313 said:
Don't watch Phantom:Requiem of the Phantom straight garbage, a true train wreck of a show.
Thanks for that input. That is unfortunate to hear. I might give it a try just to see HOW bad it is lol.

codephat said:
You're asking a lot of questions and generalizing a lot, but I'll comment on a few things.

P-P2 has a more consistent theme and comes together better than the first season, it's just rushed.
Also, it's not just the goofy parts of Hellsing Ultimate that are offputting. The show is excessive for shock value and it also has that odd tonal imbalance. Just feels messy.

I do watch anime that have supposedly bad second seasons, or shows that are supposedly bad in general. I don't trust most opinions, especially negative ones.
No, companies don't ruin a show to kill it off. If the show is popular with only a few, they just won't make a second season.
Yea, I kind of do that a lot.....

I love Hellsing Ultimate. I love how over the top it is. It is very stylish as well, but I agree, you just gotta shrug off some things and continue on.

I will judge them for myself then, thank you. It is nice to get other people's thoughts on the matter, but really, it only matter if you (me, myself, I) like it.

It's just too bad that you don't see more seasons from popular shows like Spice and Wolf....what the hell. I can't believe they used the anime to only advertise for their LN. The anime was great and people LOVED it. It's just so stupid man.
Dec 17, 2016 12:49 AM
Nov 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Each season is its own piece of work and I review separately. I don't care if the second season is crap. I only care what happens now.

-nods- I can agree with that. But what if you REALLY liked it and then you watched the next season and you felt so disappointed after that....like you know the show has potential, but they just threw it all away...
Dec 17, 2016 12:56 AM

Feb 2015
You don't need to watch the whole franchise just to appreciate its parts. Most sequels are just mere cash grab anyway, except for those crappy LN and some manga adaptations, of course.
Dec 17, 2016 1:14 AM

Aug 2009
Because anime is trash and you should stop watching it OP. Don't you know it will make you into a disgusting weeb that is ostracized from society?

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Dec 17, 2016 2:32 PM

May 2015
kukukachu said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

-nods- I can agree with that. But what if you REALLY liked it and then you watched the next season and you felt so disappointed after that....like you know the show has potential, but they just threw it all away...

If the first season had potential, it would still have it. It's a work on its own. They just didn't fulfill its potential.

A lot of anime do this. Their first episode is great and holds a lot of potential that never amounts to anything. The first episode was still quite fun.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 18, 2016 8:21 AM
Feb 2016
what the hell are you talking about? all anime is perfect it says so in the bible and also the quran but not the guru granth sahib :(
Dec 18, 2016 8:47 AM
Jul 2018
When you go watch a second season you go with the mindset that it is gonna be either as good as the first or even surpass it, and because of this (in some cases) you will get really disappointed with the outcome.

kukukachu said:
Do you still watch an anime even if you know the second season is meh?

Regardless of what most people might say, you should always watch the second season and formulate your own opinion about it.
Dec 18, 2016 8:47 AM
Aug 2016
Well, the problem in the case of Psycho-Pass 2 was that it had a different studio handle it. There are many reasons this sort of thing happens, so it's hard to narrow it to any one thing on most cases.
Dec 18, 2016 8:49 AM
Aug 2016
I thought the second seasons of Log Horizon and Darker Than Black were just as good as the first.
Dec 18, 2016 8:53 AM
May 2014
psht i thought black butler season 2 was great.
you know which season 2 and all subsequent seasons were overrated and unnecessary? sword art online.
Dec 18, 2016 9:30 AM
Dec 2016
How an anime gets appeal these days is by their "Hook". What draws people into the initial story.

Whether or not an anime continues to be good past a certain point really just depends on the strength of the writer.

Like I'll note Sword Art Online for example. The author of SAO had a good premise going on but he's inevitably weak when it comes to developing characters. It was painfully obvious as he used time skips as excuses to the development of Asuna and Kirito's characters during the SAO instead of actually showing how and why they sort of developed into their current characters.

He's gotten better over time in the Light Novels surprisingly (with SAO Alicization arc & SAO Progressive) but this isn't usually the case.

Most writers work's get weaker over time. Look at Bleach. Tite Kubo got to the point where he just didn't know how to develop Ichigo Kurosaki so he instead just made Bleach an anime about every other popular captain except Ichigo. Ichigo literally just became a closer to each arc becoming a super bland character who only existed to beat the end boss in each arc without developing much at all during the arc.

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

51 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
4 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by darlingdoll »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

40 by Atashi_Agatha »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

99 by DigiCat »»
16 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

31 by Yaggamy »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.