Forum Settings
Forums

Do anime fans HATE strong female characters?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jan 28, 2017 6:17 PM

Apr 2016
I have no problem with main/op female character such as Taiga, Erza, Akame. Even shows with full girl casts such as K-ON!

Akib's strip is currently airing and all the female characters are OP well apart from Niwaka.
Jan 28, 2017 6:19 PM

Mar 2015
Bourmegar said:
Kuma said:

but she is strong.. that's what those shitty wish fullfilment want right? seriously, what's the different?

no the shitty wish fulfillment want someone who is always there for them in a way that make a character seem Unnatural.
Like Yuno, She only wants Yukiteru........... and she is all about him.........

but that's like every damn character whatever the trope is.... it lies far beyond the trope it self, but the fact japan is really society centerict culture with understanding that people can't live them self... it doesn't even strict to gender, age, or even genre and demographic...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 28, 2017 9:44 PM

Aug 2014
No way. They're always the best ones to break. hehe.

Jan 28, 2017 9:54 PM
Mar 2015
No, I don't. Never cared for the gender. I just can't stand heroics, or incessant characters. Anything of the cliche nature. Gives me a headache.
Jan 29, 2017 1:09 AM

Jan 2016
Honestly, I will enjoy a character no matter which gender it is on the basis of it being a good character in my opinion (also may want to add, fanservice to me is only a bonus and not a deciding factor). I have seen good female characters (i.e. Azuma Tokaku from Akuma no Riddle, Shiro from No Game No Life, the best girl of 2016 Rem from Re:Zero, etc.) and good male characters (i.e. Nagisa Shiota from Assassination Classroom, Kobayashi Yoshio from Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace, Shiro from No Game No Life, etc.) along with bad female characters (i.e. Anji from Bloodivores, Himiko from Btooom, the female characters from Taboo Tatoo with the exceptions of Fluesy and Aryabhata, etc.) and I have seen bad male characters (i.e. Mi Liu from Bloodivores, Kirito from SAO (I haven't actually watched SAO but from descriptions alone I am avoiding this like the plague until I feel obligated to watch it), Ganta Igarashi from Deadman Wonderland, etc.). All just comes down to whether I enjoyed the character or not I suppose (which now that I think about it, characters really can make or break a series for me...).
Jan 29, 2017 1:18 AM

Feb 2015
Black★Rock Shooter is freaking awesome. :) Has better fights than most battle shounen anime.
Jun 9, 2017 2:03 PM

May 2017
JonasTheJay said:
So I read this really retarded Youtube comment recently:
I get that this is pretty extreme and doesn't represent the entire anime community, but it really got me thinking. Sometimes I just get the feeling that anime fans dislike strong fictional females. If you look at battle shounen series with female protagonists (fan service shows excluded, so half naked women don't count), there aren't really a whole lot: Claymore, Soul Eater, JoJo Part 6 Stone Ocean and that's pretty much it. Maybe you know a few others, but you can't deny that the amount of anime/manga with action girls is pretty low. When it comes to all-female casts, then you really only got Claymore and nothing else. Is there really no demand for series like this?

I do realize that shounen are targeted at boys. However manga like Hxh or One Piece have in reality a relatively broad audience of all genders and ages (especially in Japan). It's not like these kinds of manga wouldn't sell well, because some 8 year old boys would be like "ewww girls". Also most moe manga like K-On are also targeted at guys (either shounen or seinen). So the demographic is hardly a good argument and shouldn't hold back creators from writing more tough female characters, right?

Of course there are some great series with a male MC, that also happen to have good female support characters (for example NGE or Gintama). But female protagonists in these kind of series are still super rare, which pisses me off to no end, especially since only very few people seem to care about this issue. Do you think I'm exaggerating or can you relate to my displeasure?
The whole problem with "females are not good protagonists" is because our society is utter garbage. 1 woman in an entire community goes complaining and makes a little impact on the world, which leads to the author's being very careful to not offend that particulair group of women. Which leads to women not fighting seriously or anything like that. For example, when you look at one piece, Nami NEVER gets ordered to do something by any of the guys, the guys all admire nami ALL the time, know why? not because she's just that awesome of a person, but because she's FEMALE. And oh boy, if you order around a female, some dumb idiots go saying "SEXIST, WOMEN ARE OPRESSED!". This also leads to anime going the opposite way and making women show their tits more and making them seem like idiots just to piss off that group or be special and don't go the cliché way. This results in a lot of people (male or female) not taking seriously the female characters in anime/manga/movies.

my opinion on this matter:

I personally can't stand a female protagonist at this point.
before you go sticking my eyes out...
I can't help it, i naturally get a weird feeling when i see a female protagonist and i am already on the verge of dropping/skipping it.
Great anime like kill la kill that have a female protagonist are despised by me just because of THE FACT that there's a female protagonist.
When i start thinking about the fact WHY i don't like it that there's a female mc is because... I can't find an answer.

it just comes naturally, is it a result of all the dumb gender troubles in this day and age?

I just
don't
know.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2017 4:47 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't really care tbh

They can be strong, weak, dumb, smart, whatever

So long as they're hot
ManabanJun 9, 2017 4:53 PM

Jun 21, 2017 8:33 PM

Feb 2017
To me - No - It's pretty much normal for female characters being strong, even compared to the male character in the same series.
Nov 25, 2017 7:48 AM
Jul 2015
On the contrary, I HATE weak female characters that always depend on a male character to defend/protect her.

An example is Orihime Inoue from Bleach. I dislike her because she is weak and not as strong and dependable as most heroines in Battle Harem series.

So, I like Strong Female characters that helps the MC in battles with the enemies, but at the same time I also hate violent Tsunderes that beats the MC for small unjustified reasons.

If they want to show gag and comedy scenes where the females beats the MC for unjustified reasons, they should also extend the gag scene where the MC beats back in self-defense, and other characters looking at them act normal as they start fisticuffing and beating up each other, and a new character gets shocked at others ignoring them and asks why nobody stops them despite violence being used, so one girl who's a friend of those quarelling couple tells that new character, "Itsumo no koto da shi....Mushi sureba ii wa ". " It's something that always happens, so it's best to ignore them " In the end, their fight usually ends with one of them K.Oed, and the score is usually the female on a slight edge, like for example 100 KOs for the female and 103 KOs for the male( The male gets knocked out for 103 times in comparison ) This kinda gag scene is more supportive of the ideas of gender equality and would be more funnier to watch than one where the receiving end of an unjustified beating doesn't hit back, like Kashima being beaten by a guy in Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and the one-sided beatings on females in Aho Girl and the one-sided beatings on the male MC in Infinte Stratos.

So such scenes would definitely be more funnier to watch, so I support both a strong main female lead with a strong male lead.
CoolitzHubertXVINov 25, 2017 7:57 AM
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Nov 25, 2017 11:07 AM

Jun 2016
Well i'm a male anime fan and all the female characters on my favorites are strong. So I guess your wrong.
Nov 29, 2017 5:55 AM

Sep 2017
No. What I hate is they are usually paired with dense beta cuck mc.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 29, 2017 6:09 AM

Apr 2017
I don't hate them, why would I hate them? However, I feel as if the term "strong woman" can have a lot more subtleties to it than being opinionated or being able to physically fight. I see strength mostly in character - their ability to learn and grow while maintaining their integrity. And of course, a strong female character has to be a well-written one, there is no way a character is strong otherwise.
Nov 30, 2017 10:52 AM

Feb 2010
JonasTheJay said:
So I read this really retarded Youtube comment recently:
I get that this is pretty extreme and doesn't represent the entire anime community, but it really got me thinking. Sometimes I just get the feeling that anime fans dislike strong fictional females. If you look at battle shounen series with female protagonists (fan service shows excluded, so half naked women don't count), there aren't really a whole lot: Claymore, Soul Eater, JoJo Part 6 Stone Ocean and that's pretty much it. Maybe you know a few others, but you can't deny that the amount of anime/manga with action girls is pretty low. When it comes to all-female casts, then you really only got Claymore and nothing else. Is there really no demand for series like this?

I do realize that shounen are targeted at boys. However manga like Hxh or One Piece have in reality a relatively broad audience of all genders and ages (especially in Japan). It's not like these kinds of manga wouldn't sell well, because some 8 year old boys would be like "ewww girls". Also most moe manga like K-On are also targeted at guys (either shounen or seinen). So the demographic is hardly a good argument and shouldn't hold back creators from writing more tough female characters, right?

Of course there are some great series with a male MC, that also happen to have good female support characters (for example NGE or Gintama). But female protagonists in these kind of series are still super rare, which pisses me off to no end, especially since only very few people seem to care about this issue. Do you think I'm exaggerating or can you relate to my displeasure?

It's sadly just living proof of the reason feminism still must exist and push stronger than before.

There are more anime that I know of with strong females, but they're very few who aren't considered super sexy or super moe.

I'd vouch for the Psycho-Pass protagonist Akane, but in terms of physical strength, she doesn't really show it until the movie. Until then, it was more a mental strength that she showed (which in that universe, mental state is very important for success).

There's also Hikaru from Otogi-Zoushi who uses a bow and arrow despite being a woman in medieval Japan, though that's not as very well-known of an anime. I highly recommend the first half of it. It's kind of like a Japanese version of Mulan.

Gokusen is about a female teacher who also happens to be daughter of a Yakuza boss, and as such she has superior hand-combat skills. I actually only saw the live-action drama (3 seasons) of this, but I'm sure the anime is the same concept. Delinquent students get into trouble with gang members, teacher steps in and protects them to slowly earn their trust.

If Mikasa (or many of the other women in AOT) were the protagonist instead of Eren for Attack on Titan, that would count... but she's not. xD

Fighter game characters like Chun-li are definitely strong with nice muscles to boot, though not sure if games count.
PikangieNov 30, 2017 11:01 AM
Nov 30, 2017 11:02 AM

Nov 2017
Pikangie said:
It's sadly just living proof of the reason feminism still must exist and push stronger than before.

It's because of the lack of feminism in Japan that there are so many great female characters and so many women working in the industry. Japan is in need of feminism as much as it is need of a third bomb.

There are more anime that I know of with strong females, but they're very few who aren't considered super sexy or super moe.

As usual, female characters are not allowed to be attractive. Feminists keep saying the same thing in the gaming sphere.
Nov 30, 2017 11:05 AM

Dec 2012
"I love a woman who can kick my ass"
-Spike Spiegel
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 30, 2017 11:10 AM

Jan 2010
Quite the opposite. Almost 90% my female fav charas are fighting type.

Also, that comment got me lowkey triggerred, like WTF?

Anyway, yeah we need more anime with badass female protag/female lead/major characters.
I like how most shounen have them.
Some anime that I like that have female fighters that can kick male asses.
- Claymore
- FT (Erza)
- BnHA need more work on this part, but so far I'm quite satisfied with Ochako, Momo and Tsuyu. Especially Momo, such OP quirk. They just need better opportunity. Also Toga-chan <3
- One Piece has some but still lacking too, sadly. There are strong female fighters but Oda doesn't show their power much :I
- Revy
- Integra, Seras (Hellsing)
- Soul Eater
- and basically everyone from my fav female character list: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=716075
OH AND ALSO FEMALE VILLAIN. More badass female villain please!!!!
Someone like Balalaika is awesome too.
It's not anime but I really enjoyed Hela from Thor: Ragnarok.

From some comments I read, I realized some people really don't want the female characters to be stronger than the male lead... wtf
Anyway one of the main reason I enjoyed FT so much despite it's flaws is because of Erza, she kicking so much asses and I love it so damn much. I hope more battle shounen has female lead as strong and important as her.

Anyway, almost forgot to mention Made in Abyss. One of the things I like about that anime is that for once, the legacy is from MOTHER to DAUGHTER.
Also, female seems to be more dominant here, like Lyza and Ozen both is a very important chraracters, strong, and admirable White Whistles.

p.s.
Damn, how could I forgot Mikasa and Morgiana!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the reason why both anime in my fav list!!!!
CrimsonMidnightNov 30, 2017 11:21 AM
Nov 30, 2017 11:31 AM
Jun 2015
No, because if you watch any anime with a accidental pervert gag, women have way more strength than males in anime. Women only reduce their power level in climatic shounen battles or other romantic flag events.
Nov 30, 2017 11:32 AM

Apr 2015
not when they are well made, in anime they are usually well made but in western production their "strong female character" is just a bitch
Nov 30, 2017 11:38 AM

Nov 2015
There are thousands of strong female characters in anime, this is 100% a non-issue.

I'm not against even more of them though.
Nov 30, 2017 11:40 AM

Nov 2017
I wonder, what is exactly is meant by strong? Does it mean powerful?
Are princess Cornelia or C.C. from Code Geass strong?

I love female leads, but then again I don't watch a lot of shounen / action animes
All Dubs must die!

"Its 2017 and anime is still legal. What the fuck is congress doing" - Totalbiscuit

Nov 30, 2017 11:48 AM

Jan 2017
Guys that hate strong females are probably afraid to appear weaker than them
Nov 30, 2017 11:51 AM

Jul 2016
If all anime fans hated strong females then anime wouldn't continue to make them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2017 12:00 PM
Jul 2015
I LOVE Strong Female characters, but hate females that beat up our use violence on males for unjustified and trivial reasons.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Nov 30, 2017 12:12 PM

Nov 2017
CoolitzHubertXVI said:
I LOVE Strong Female characters, but hate females that beat up our use violence on males for unjustified and trivial reasons.

Huh, do you hate female characters that do that more so than male characters that do that? Or do you just hate all characters whenever they use unjustified violence?
All Dubs must die!

"Its 2017 and anime is still legal. What the fuck is congress doing" - Totalbiscuit

Nov 30, 2017 12:50 PM

Jul 2016
Anime is just catering to what the anime community wants in anime.
Nov 30, 2017 12:50 PM
Jul 2017
Even if it isn't considered an anime RWBY has strong female characters as mc and nobody said something bad about it, but shonen are watched more by males so it is obvious that they want a male mc and females only as support characters.
I personally like strong (not op) female support characters in shonen
Nov 30, 2017 12:52 PM

Jul 2017
Seems like a lot of people think that brawn dictates how strong is a character. I'd like to insult you, but I am better than that.

That aside, female characters are highly flexible when it comes to creating them, very large amount of male characters are fairly generic and boring. This is my opinion, of course.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Nov 30, 2017 3:15 PM

Jul 2015
The strong female characters in anime, really do not seem fun at all, and lack charisma anyway.
Nov 30, 2017 8:46 PM

Sep 2009
There are oodles of strong female protagonist in Anime and if you think different you need to watch better Anime. That Youtube retard might have rubbed off on your argument as you two seem to equate strength with outrageous multi power fight sequences and muscle brain brawlers.

No strong female protagonist. Right.

This is what happens when you live in a bubble. You're perpetually a dumbass twelve year old.

Nov 30, 2017 11:00 PM

Nov 2017
Failing_lmao said:
Hell no I love them but I can see why some people dislike them. Mainly because the people who dislike them are guys, and when they watch anime they put themselves in it and relate themselves to the strongest character. It is difficult for a guy to imagine himself as a lady.
Is this wrong?-yes
Can we do anything about this?- not sure

Female characters are the most popular among male viewers. It's because of the male fanbase that anime has as many female characters that it does.
Jan 12, 2018 12:38 AM
Jul 2018
I haven't seen a single anime fan dislike strong female characters.
In fact, I question what, "strong" even means. Having superpowers? Having the mental will to overcome hardships?

I don't mind "strong" female characters, but anime usually handles them terribly, because they're more focused on making the female character strong, and not interesting. This article explains it best:
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/08/i-hate-strong-female-characters
May 6, 2020 8:29 AM

Jul 2019
I don't have any particular preference for gender, and I've seen examples of both sides being executed equally good or bad. I will however say that the dude writing the comment has definitely not seen more than 10 of both battle shounens and ecchi harems. That, or they base the quality of a character on the power level some shitty Youtube top 10 list tells them.
To be honest though, it's not my first time seeing this kind of person. I spend a good amount of time on anime Discord servers and the amount of people who NEED a male character doing their power fantasy fulfillment and refuse to watch anything with a female protagonist are staggeringly high. Welp, kids need to self-insert, I dunno. I don't wanna look down on them or call their preference outright bad by any means, but I feel like that kind of baseless bias formed without any reasonable experience (These people have rarely ever seen a decently written female character) is pretty marrow-minded.
SunBro26May 6, 2020 8:32 AM
May 6, 2020 8:30 AM

Jul 2019
Nope, I actually like strong female characters a lot. I only have problem with useless/annoying ones no matter the gender.
May 6, 2020 8:35 AM

Dec 2018
As long as the characters are interesting I don’t care what gender they are.
May 6, 2020 8:36 AM
May 2014
On the opposite, it annoys me to no end if the female character is a damsel in distress and has to be saved by the main male character. That is one of my pet peeves.

Y'all are forgetting Jormungand. Koko is both badass, deadly and cute. Oh, and don't forget Valmer. Freaking Queen.
May 6, 2020 8:54 AM

Aug 2016
Not at all, one of my all-time favorite anime/manga characters is a strong female protagonist.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
May 6, 2020 9:09 AM

Mar 2017
As others have mentioned, and I've seen in other threads where fans say what makes them drop a show, there are some who have stated they won't watch any anime with a female MC, especially a strong one.

Some months ago I heard a news story discussing fan edits of popular films by misogynists to remove anything that doesn't fit their ideal of men being superior to women. For example, anytime a man gives an order, a woman must obey without question, whereas anytime a woman gives an order, a man must at least question or push back if not disregard the order. Anything that doesn't comply with this gets cut. (I've never watched any such edits, and I wouldn't want to.)
A møøse once bit my sister...
May 6, 2020 9:16 AM

May 2019
No? Why would someone hate them? Strong female chars.. are good and i like them..

Characters like Emma from Yakusoku no neverland are AWESOME
May 6, 2020 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Depend how the story and setting is used i will either like or annoyed with any gender. A strong character is sometime hard to be convincing or otherwise feel forced like bad acting, that goes to weak characters as well.
May 6, 2020 9:29 AM
Apr 2016
Does anyone EVEN check if the thread is not kind of OUTDATED? Because someone created a fake account just to insult someone who posted years ago. Awareness is lacking in the mass.
Re:formed
May 6, 2020 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Okay I know the topic is old, but there are tons of great female characters and also some protagonists.
I can't see either how main girls in shounen won't count. Many of these I have seen were great, but well... I don't want these "strong female characters", I want humanized female and also male characters and part of it is that they are not always strong to fulfill someone's wish fulfillment fantasy.
And people are just different as well, also "strength" shouldn't be about fighting strength and it's not a must that characters have to be strong, in which way you want, at all.

AshitaNoJonas said:
fan service shows excluded, so half naked women don't count

What's wrong with being half-naked? 🤔
removed-userMay 6, 2020 11:49 AM
May 6, 2020 11:46 AM

Dec 2019
I always love me a strong female kicking ass.
                                                         🖤   

May 6, 2020 11:53 AM
May 6, 2020 11:55 AM

Jul 2019
I'm neutral, I dont either hate or like them. But it depends on what you mean by "strong." Like dominating females or physically strong female characters. For example, I consider Yukinoshita Haruno strong because she's able to manipulate people. I also consider Tsunade from Naruto strong. But I tend to not have physically strong female characters as my favorites
May 6, 2020 11:55 AM

Apr 2020
Well no but I hate their personality but if they are strong and likeable then that makes it even better
May 8, 2020 10:56 PM

Jan 2020
That's my type of waifu . I love strong and powerful girls like Rin Tohsaka and Raphtalia.
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 9, 2020 1:17 AM

Feb 2020
I'm actually pretty sure strong women are loved among the community, aren't they ? There are tons of them in the tops...
As for me my opinion of them depends. If they have a great and well-devekoped personality and visible weaknesses, I can totally love them, however if they're just strong for the sake of it because it seems cool to have a strong woman in a show, then they'll probably don't appeal to me.
FafetteMay 9, 2020 1:20 AM
May 9, 2020 1:23 AM
Feb 2020
I think that to have a female protagonist I a shounen anime can be very cool, like jojo 6 stone ocean. The only problem it's to understand if the fandom would like it. For me there are a lot of things more important than the gender of the protagonist, so I usually don't mind at it. (sorry for the bad English, I'm Italian)
May 9, 2020 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
I don't have a problem with strong with female characters in Japanese comics as well as American comics. The only thing that annoys me is when the creators have to repeatedly emphasize the fact that female characters can be just as strong or as capable as a male character in certain instances. I feel like most of society is at the point to where people can except the idea that women can handle the same roles as males. So for me, it just feels kind of cliché when it has to be emphasized in comics that female characters can be just as powerful as male characters.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - 5 hours ago

18 by Timeline_man »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 24 minutes ago

6 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

71 by AleMiranda »»
5 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Yesterday

86 by Noelle43 »»
17 minutes ago

» What animes/manga where you suprised where made by the same creator?

Lol1268 - 9 hours ago

16 by Inter_anime »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.