3It was OK
0.4%
2Disliked it
1.3%
1Hated it
6.4%
Average 4.7
471 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 13, 2016 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, didn't expect they would adapt this chapter. It's the one about Shigeru and Touko.

Really interesting way to see Touko's lifestyle along with her husband and although Natsume doesn't appear much in the episode until later, I find it pretty interesting about their life before he came. Nice episode.
Dec 13, 2016 9:02 AM

Nov 2007
Normal day for the lovely dopey couple (thinking about each other even leaving) before tending Natsume, sometimes with lonely crow and rain. He thought about picking Natsume up for a long time until he's ready to tell her. She saw his lonely eyes in the beginning, then later seeing a white crow that she couldn't see.

Next ep. airing at 26:05 (30 mins. delay). Test day and Natsume caught cold.

Personal thinking about the airing schedule (been having this in my mind):

Edit (regarding to airing schedule): Next week will be final ep.: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/natsume5/ ...
tsubasaloverDec 13, 2016 5:39 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 13, 2016 10:30 AM

Apr 2010
Touko's past, another nice episode which was pretty nice.
I wonder what we will get next, we can never have enough of this anime.
It's another season worth watching.
Dec 13, 2016 12:59 PM

Nov 2007
Are my eyes sweating??hmm
family stuff always gets me
Dec 13, 2016 1:04 PM

Sep 2015
yeah, why do I want to cry ?

It was nice to see what happened before Natsume came in this house, and how much he has grown too
Dec 13, 2016 1:24 PM

Aug 2010
""I'm sure it's shining such a beautiful white that it's hard to see, right?"

The tears. That last scene was so well-done. So simple, yet so powerful.
Aah, I started tearing-up too when I saw Touko crying because she missed Shigeru. I'm so glad we got to see some scenes of them together! They're such a nice, peaceful couple.

I got sad when Touko saw Natsume all by himself looking empty-eyed at that river. Natsume used such to be such a lonely person ; ; poor baby, I'm so glad he finally found home <3

Excellent episode, can't wait for the next one!!
Dec 13, 2016 1:31 PM

Dec 2008
I normally hate side stories like this, but touko is such a lovely character I quite enjoyed it.

I'm thinking that perhaps, after a few eps back with sieji threatening to tell the fujiwaras and now this episode where we sort of delve into touko's personality, we'll have her find out or get told that natsume can see yokai. maybe something big will attack the house and it'll come out.

also, fuck those onions
Dec 13, 2016 1:33 PM

Mar 2013
tsubasalover said:

It might have originally counted the OVA that was aired one week.
Dec 13, 2016 1:41 PM
Feb 2015
more Touko and Shigeru yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 13, 2016 1:46 PM
Sep 2015
This episode is really sweet, seeing how Touko and Shigeru lived before Natsume came to the house. They are such a sweet couple.

When Shigeru saw natsume in the funeral, Natsume seem so lonely and mistreated, poor nastume. The way shigeru suddenly cleaned up the room in the second floor already shows that he really want Nastume to come to their home.

This episode is somehow really sweet, knowing how touko and shigeru really feel about their lives and also about Natsume. Its really interesting seeing nastume from a different perspective, he seems lonely but when nyanko sensei came somehow he seems more cheerful and less lonely, its just so cute. love this episode

Excited to see the next episode, finally an episode focused on Natsume's adventures again.
Dec 13, 2016 2:17 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode. Best part would probably be when Natsume sees the white crow. He doesn't know that it is a yokai and Touko does not feel wierd about it. TOUKO YOU IS THE BEST!!!
Dec 13, 2016 2:26 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yup, I admit I teared up badly towards the end of the episode.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 13, 2016 2:28 PM

Mar 2013
Damn, a really strong episode this week hm

straggy said:
tsubasalover said:

I think so as well looking at the current schedule of this season
Dec 13, 2016 2:38 PM

Jul 2011
The tears just slowly rolled in after that last scene. Love how Touko-san just accepted what Natsume said without saying anything. He certainly appears very distant and strange from a third person's perspective, doesn't he? Poor Natsume. I'm glad he's found a place to belong. ^^

Waiting for the day that he reveals his secret to the Fujiwaras, if that day ever comes.
Dec 13, 2016 3:08 PM

Sep 2015
This was truly so beautiful!

Most anime have one or two episodes left this season. Shuka's website released info on the next episode. If there's going to be a 12th episode, they'll post about it next week.

Dec 13, 2016 3:18 PM

Jun 2011
I'm so happy they adapted this chapter because it's one of my favourites. They did a lovely job at it, too. I hope we'll see the Kitamoto/Nishimura side chapters animated one day too.
Dec 13, 2016 3:31 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.

Lovely, sweet & beautiful flashback. So relaxing & peaceful to watch.

Shigeru & Touko are the greatest. Natsume is so lucky to have them in his life.
Woah Touko is beautiful with her hair down.

Wish I had a crow that would let me know when it's about to rain.
Glad the crow found a partner in the end.
Santoryu_XBurnerDec 13, 2016 3:35 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 13, 2016 4:01 PM

Dec 2008
This episode... My tears... Wow. It's sad that there's only a few episodes left.
Dec 13, 2016 4:21 PM

Jan 2008
A nice backstory about how Shigeru and Touko welcoming Natsume from Touko's perspective. I liked it, but this line makes me curious:

"Almost got into a fight he was staying with, and some relatives weren't happy about it" ...exactly what problems would they have, if they only saw Natsume as a weird kid that was hindrance/troublemaker? If I were them, I'd be more than glad to let them immediately take guardianship. Unless there was some underlying reason why even though he was mistreated and disliked, they still wanted to keep him...like an inheritance perhaps, and they wanted a piece of it? If that's the case, then it only brings of more mysteries about Natsume's parents and grandparents. If not, I can't think of anything else.
Dec 13, 2016 4:29 PM

May 2012
I feel this was the best episode of GO so far. Made me tear up a bit

Love how Natsume being introduced into their lives changed them, Shigeru especially

Dec 13, 2016 4:44 PM

Nov 2007
straggy said:
tsubasaloverDec 13, 2016 6:25 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 13, 2016 5:01 PM

Jul 2014
The dynamic the characters have with each other always makes me cry. The Fujiwara couple once again are such amazing parents to Natsume.

Sad that next week is the final episode. Hoping for another season because one day I want chapter 78 to get animated since that is my all time favorite chapter.
Dec 13, 2016 5:15 PM

Oct 2010
Lame that the last two episodes are DVD/bluray only. -_-
Dec 13, 2016 5:18 PM
May 2015
A beautiful episode.

I loved the fact that Shigeru was the one to think of taking him there. He was so kind and observant, I get why Touko cried. I'd have cried too, being with someone like him.
I loved that he prepared the room before talking to her. I totally see her taking it all upon herself, so the thought of him deciding to take it off her shoulders in advance, made me smile.
I love the fact that they always worry about the fact that he might not feel at home. Will he let them in? Will he ask for something for himself, just a bit?
And the way Natsume looked when Touko said he could keep Nyanko sensei. He was so hesitant to ask, and when she said yes he was surprised and happy. It hurts, thinking of all the bullying and abuse he had to go through until they took him in. I want to see more of his healing.

(Touko's voice kind of annoys me. And I don't get how Natsume feels so comfortable mentioning things like a second crow when she said the crow was alone. Doesn't he think "oh, so only I see that one" instantly?)

I love Natsume Yuujinchou. I want it to go on forever.
RikiCDec 13, 2016 5:21 PM
Dec 13, 2016 5:38 PM

Aug 2015
What a wonderful episode. I really like these kind of episodes where they focus on a different character and delve into their pasts; it makes them more likeable and more human.
Dec 13, 2016 6:37 PM

Mar 2016
Santoryu_XBurner said:
Great episode.

Since Touko could not see it, the white crow was likely either a yokai or a spirit. It could even be the spirit of the black crow's passed partner, which seems the best fit to me.
r0kusDec 13, 2016 6:53 PM
-- Rich
Dec 13, 2016 6:47 PM

Mar 2016
4kicks said:
A nice backstory about how Shigeru and Touko welcoming Natsume from Touko's perspective. I liked it, but this line makes me curious:

"Almost got into a fight he was staying with, and some relatives weren't happy about it" ...exactly what problems would they have, if they only saw Natsume as a weird kid that was hindrance/troublemaker? If I were them, I'd be more than glad to let them immediately take guardianship. Unless there was some underlying reason why even though he was mistreated and disliked, they still wanted to keep him...like an inheritance perhaps, and they wanted a piece of it? If that's the case, then it only brings of more mysteries about Natsume's parents and grandparents. If not, I can't think of anything else.

Good questions. Another possibility is pride. Even though the previous guardians were uncomfortable with Natsume, for some other distant relative to appear and ask to take him might well bring up some defensiveness. "Does he think our home isn't good enough? That we are mistreating him? We've been doing the best we can, dammit!! Who the heck does this guy think he is??"

With five seasons in, I think we would have heard about an inheritance. I cannot remember where he got the boxes with Reiko's stuff (if we have even been told), but that is likely the only inheritance he has.
r0kusDec 13, 2016 6:51 PM
-- Rich
Dec 13, 2016 8:03 PM

May 2009
If Touko and Shigeru had children, they would have been the best parents imo :)
That's why I find their relationship with Natsume to be just as sweet :)
And I like the subtle way they show that the crow did indeed have a partner (only that Natsume can see it). I still love Touko and Shigeru for accepting Natsume into their home and accepting him for who he was.
Dec 13, 2016 8:33 PM

Oct 2011
Such a beautiful episode. It's nice seeing more of Touko, and I really love seeing Natsume by others' points of view.

The last scene was so beautiful it made me cry. I love this anime so much, I really do. I can't believe we only have one more episode this season, I thought it'd be 13 episodes like the late ones. Now I feel like rewatching everything.
Dec 14, 2016 2:10 AM

Apr 2016
Ah, I had tears in my eyes when Touko-san was crying..

Loved this episode! When Touko-san meets Natsume on the street, I remembered the same scene done from his POV and how he didn't believe that she was real.

This episode makes you think about the things you take for granted - Friends &amp; family. It also kinda gave me an insight as to how parents think about their children. The whole aquarium scene and the talk with the kid in the supermarket really pulls at one's heartstrings.

One thing that I hadn't noticed in the manga was how they showed two umbrellas in the stand before Natsume moved in and then three after he did. :)

Also, Touko san gets a hint about Natsume's powers, and her reaction shows how supportive she'd be if Natsume ever told them the truth.

From the same scene, kinda unrelated but, I think that's the first time we see their car. :p

Next and last episode is from one of the special chapters I think, the one where they go looking for flowers(?)
Dec 14, 2016 3:54 AM

Sep 2015
Aww, what a sweet episode <3
Dec 14, 2016 4:48 AM

Dec 2014
What a heartwarming episode i'm glad Touko-san is accepting of Natsume's seeing youkai. I hope someday Natsume will tell the truth.
Dec 14, 2016 7:21 AM

Feb 2012
I wish Touko was real
Dec 14, 2016 9:03 AM

Jul 2014
Brilliant episode, and another nice change of pace to focus on Touko and Shigeru for once and see things from their perspectives. It's a shame that, after next week's episode, we have to wait until April to finish the season, but with the consistent quality this show has I'm sure the wait will be worth it.
Dec 14, 2016 9:05 AM

Aug 2014
My Foster Mother Can't Be This Cute.
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 14, 2016 10:42 AM

May 2014
This episode is almost all I needed to know about Touko and Shigeru's past before Takashi's adoption. Clean, light. It is funny the way the episode starts and it ends, I mean, it's like the same feeling of when you're leaving someone's house and hoping the day when you'll return, you know? It's sad because the next episode is the last one of this season...
Dec 14, 2016 12:58 PM
Mar 2012
Another wonderful episode.
I don't want this series to end.

I'm a bit jealous of Touko-san. I try to speak to crows, too, but they just ignore me. I'd love to have a crow friend.
Dec 14, 2016 1:00 PM

Feb 2014
When you cry at a tiny thing and don't want to think about why it's making you cry.

She was just chopping up vegetables but goddammit.
Dec 14, 2016 1:08 PM

Feb 2014
QuattroVaginas said:
My Foster Mother Can't Be This Cute.

/pouty face pouty face
Dec 14, 2016 3:30 PM

Mar 2009
r0kus said:
Santoryu_XBurner said:
Great episode.

Since Touko could not see it, the white crow was likely either a yokai or a spirit. It could even be the spirit of the black crow's passed partner, which seems the best fit to me.

Yeah. Definitely the spirit of the black crow's passed partner. Touko was thinking to herself earlier in the episode about what it would be like after her passing, or Shigeru's. Which was actually a very, very sad thing. :(
But the crow's partner being with the crow after its passing is actually a very beautiful notion. Our loved ones are always there for us, even in spirit.

Anyway, stunning and beautiful episode. Touko is precious. I'm so glad Natsume has people like Shigeru and Touko in his life. He's a lucky person.
Dec 14, 2016 3:32 PM

Jun 2011
RikiC said:

(Touko's voice kind of annoys me. And I don't get how Natsume feels so comfortable mentioning things like a second crow when she said the crow was alone. Doesn't he think "oh, so only I see that one" instantly?)

Actually, in that scene, she never told him that that crow was alone. After she said "welcome home", he asked her what she was looking at. She replied "See that crow on that branch? That's my friend, can you see him?" to which he replied "Yes. Oh, there's another one." She was thinking about how the crow was always alone right before he came home.

As for her voice, I'm kind of conflicted about it - I don't know if I like it or if it ticks me off. But I love her character so much that I decided on the former.
Dec 14, 2016 3:33 PM

Jun 2013
that was so heartwarming Touko-san and Shigeru-san are really amazing and nice
Dec 14, 2016 3:58 PM

Nov 2014
Geez just beautiful and moving.
Dec 14, 2016 4:02 PM
Nov 2013
I haven't posted on the forums in a while, but this episode made me feel obligated to. The scene where Shigeru asked Touko if Natsume could live with them made me tear up because of how happy she was. They're literally the best anime parents.

Beautiful episode. It was nice to see Touko's perspective, and it really showed how they helped Natsume grow as a person. Makes me super sad that next week is the last episode :/
Dec 14, 2016 4:56 PM

Jun 2007
Ah man. This show will never cease to amaze me. There is so much life and emotion in it.

We have one more episode in this season, yes?

My weeks will be much bleaker until (HOPEFULLY) Natsume gets a 6th season.

The manga is top notch, but the animation, directing, the voice artists, the music, and the rest of the anime crew just add so much to the Natsume experience.
Dec 14, 2016 5:00 PM
Feb 2015
4kicks said:

That actually referred to an episode in season 3 (it was one of my favorite episodes^^). If you remember, that time, even though the family Natsume was staying with minded his presence, he didn't receive any horrible treatment from them. And even his foster brother was actually quite protective over him. And we did see his foster parents arguing a bit about whether they should let Natsume leave with the Fujiwaras since on one hand, they're a bit wary that "distant relatives" suddenly came out of nowhere and ask to let them take care of Natsume.

From what I can conclude from this episode, I think maybe the Fujiwaras--at least Shigeru--isn't really related to Natsume's father at all. But he still wants Natsume to live with them. So they came up with the story that they're "distant relatives of Natsume's father". And that's why Natsume's then-foster parents are a bit wary, even though on one hand they want to let him go. Just imagine, these couple you don't know suddenly came up to you and ask you to pass on the guardianship over this child to them. Even though Natsume's then-foster father had been reluctant to take care of him, nevertheless he'd still felt a bit of responsibility over him.

Well, at least these are my thoughts about it
Dec 14, 2016 5:08 PM
Feb 2015
RikiC said:

Because Natsume didn't realize it was a youkai. He thought it was just a white crow and even said "Look, it's hard to see through the branches". He'd done this numerous times, just a passing comment on what he saw. The thing is, Touko didn't say that she couldn't see the white crow. So Natsume never realized what he saw was actually a youkai.
Dec 14, 2016 5:44 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Darn you onions, making me tear up a bit.
What can I say, lovely episode, beautiful. Touko's reaction when Shigeru brought up the idea of adopting Natsume was lovely. Their honesty and kindness is what I really like about them. Living their days peacefully, quiet, and a bit lonely, adopting Natsume really made their lives even better.

Dec 14, 2016 8:04 PM

Jan 2008
winterune said:
4kicks said:

That actually referred to an episode in season 3 (it was one of my favorite episodes^^). If you remember, that time, even though the family Natsume was staying with minded his presence, he didn't receive any horrible treatment from them. And even his foster brother was actually quite protective over him. And we did see his foster parents arguing a bit about whether they should let Natsume leave with the Fujiwaras since on one hand, they're a bit wary that "distant relatives" suddenly came out of nowhere and ask to let them take care of Natsume.

From what I can conclude from this episode, I think maybe the Fujiwaras--at least Shigeru--isn't really related to Natsume's father at all. But he still wants Natsume to live with them. So they came up with the story that they're "distant relatives of Natsume's father". And that's why Natsume's then-foster parents are a bit wary, even though on one hand they want to let him go. Just imagine, these couple you don't know suddenly came up to you and ask you to pass on the guardianship over this child to them. Even though Natsume's then-foster father had been reluctant to take care of him, nevertheless he'd still felt a bit of responsibility over him.

Well, at least these are my thoughts about it

That makes sense. And wow, 2 seasons ago...it's been too long. I should rewatch some episodes to refresh my memory.
Dec 15, 2016 1:48 AM

Jul 2009
It was a really nice episode to watch, Fujiwaras are definitely one of the best parents (I suppose I can call them that finally) in anime and Natsume definitely deserves to have them.

I love Touko for not saying anything about not being able to see the white crow. If she did it could confuse Natsume and put them both in an awkward position. The fact she decided to stay silent about it shows how much affection she has for him, and I think Nyanko-sensei noticed that too.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2016

89 by shippidge »»
Mar 17, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2016

61 by Meritas »»
Dec 25, 2023 9:57 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2016

152 by Meritas »»
Sep 29, 2023 7:54 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2016

68 by Cieling_phan »»
Jul 19, 2023 1:30 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2016

60 by Nurularifin »»
May 23, 2022 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.