Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 11, 2016 2:51 PM

Nov 2015
Episode One : a guy going to another city from a train to a train , he meets that girl and kisses her!OK ( More like an advertisement for trains actually xD )
Episode Two : that guy lives his school life in a city and a girl wanted to confess and she couldn't! OK again
Episode Three : That guy the guy and the girl grew up and didn't talk , the end of a love story ! Wait what ? The end ? What happened? Was there even a story? I read all discussions here but nothing good😐 like really ? Someone explain it otherwise I'll give it 2/10 ( usually I want to give it 1/10 but the Graphics of the Nature and Sakura were really good )
And Episode 2 was more like a filler and has nothing to do with the story !!!!!!
The love relationship/story in that movie was just like any other normal relationship in real life , messaging then breaking up nothing special! Nothing sad about it ! There's no death or something, if she died at least the story would have been better
HikarieChanMay 24, 2017 1:10 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 11, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2015
To be honest dude... I believe your not the only one who thinks it's shit... But, I think, the story is just plain boring. Though, I like the ED.
Dec 11, 2016 3:13 PM

Jun 2015
_Ako_ said:
To be honest dude... I believe your not the only one who thinks it's shit... But, I think, the story is just plain boring. Though, I like the ED.

^^ This and I thought it was a good romance anime (I guess).
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Dec 11, 2016 3:47 PM

May 2015
i didnt like it either. ill clap to the visuals and soundtrack though
Dec 11, 2016 5:26 PM

Nov 2015
StruckWith_Bolts said:
i didnt like it either. ill clap to the visuals and soundtrack though

Well the ED song was not bad
Dec 11, 2016 5:28 PM

Nov 2015
_Ako_ said:
_Ako_ said:

The ED song ??
Well the ending no but the song liked it xD
Dec 13, 2016 1:57 AM
May 2011
MILD SPOILER ALERT FOR ALL SHINKAI'S FILM

You are definitely not the only one to think that the story is lacking, or as you say it, shit.... But this movie is never about a grandiose story that suppose to enthrall you, this movie is about everyday relationship.

TyrelDec 15, 2016 12:35 AM
Dec 14, 2016 3:46 PM
Apr 2014
lolipedofin said:

You are definitely not the only one to think that the story is lacking, or as you say it, shit.... But this movie is never about a grandiose story that suppose to enthrall you, this movie is about everyday relationship.

Its Appalling worst fucking anime move i've ever seen can't even believe I finished it 1/10.
TyrelDec 15, 2016 12:36 AM
Anime is best at your Highest content.
Dec 14, 2016 4:13 PM

Jun 2015
Bro, every thread I see about this movie says it's shit, I have no idea how you can think you're the only one XD Personally I thought it was a great movie, but *shrug* I'd be more surprised to find someone who agrees with me than not.
Dec 16, 2016 2:22 PM

Nov 2015
lolipedofin said:

Well if was a bit longer then I wouldn't have said it's a shit , the story lacks a whole story tbh xD
Dec 16, 2016 10:04 PM
Nov 2010
Strange... I thought it was pretty good to be honest. Yes, there are no explosions, no cataclysmic or earth-ending disaster but this isn't that type of film. Its, in my opinion, about how time and distance works on you, a person, and I think its something everyone can relate to, especially as you get older. Obviously I'm not part of the majority since I rate this as a 10 :P
Dec 17, 2016 10:03 PM
Dec 2016
i don't think that you're the only one to think like that, i suppose there are many ambigous parts in the movie but if you have read the light novel, you should understand more about the story
Feb 6, 2017 9:18 PM
Feb 2017
JANCOKhahahahaahah SHIGATSU WA KIMI NO NAWA IS THE BEST :V
Mar 30, 2017 5:46 PM
Mar 2017
Shit?
No, but making a movie more or less a reminder how real life is, is not going to knock any ones socks off. So many life stories are like this, and how many people want to make a movie about their own lives?
My guess would be few.
Apr 12, 2017 3:52 PM
Apr 2017
/SPOILER FOR ERASED ALERT/You're not alone my friend.It was starting so good then second episode ok some filler i can handle it but then third episode where the story was ****** up.Why she had to marry some anonymous guy it's the same like in Erased.Now i have to watch something with good ending or im gonna be mad.
Apr 15, 2017 4:54 PM

Dec 2015
I regret that I spend my time to watch this anime movie. This was one of the worst anime movie I've ever seen...
Apr 15, 2017 5:40 PM

Nov 2014
Hey it's time for the regular 5cm/s hating thread, yay.

I mean whatever, if you couldn't appreciate this movie that's your loss, but I don't really get your criticism of the story.

Episode 1: A kid falls in love with a girl but they get separated from each other without their relationship having any kind of closure.
Episode 2: Kid is now a teenager and is missing out on his present because he's stuck dwelling on the past, hurting himself and others in the process.
Episode 3: Teenager is an adult now and his first relationship is long gone. The first girl basically forgot about him and is living a great life, she moved on, got engaged and seems pretty happy. On the other hand guy wasted a bunch of years being depressed and having a relationship with someone else that went nowhere, he wonders how or why he let himself get to this point and then gets over the fact that his first relationship is over, never had and never will have any closure and decides to move on and start his life over.

The scene where he gets over it and moves on is the part where you're suppose to have "the feels" because of the bittersweet fact that his first love is over but that for the first time he admits it to himself which enables him to move on.

I wouldn't call the 2nd episode filler since it serves to get into the protagonist's state of mind, it's been a while since ep 1 but he's still dwelling on it to the point where he doesn't even realise what's happening around him or cares about anything else really.

The movie starts when the relationship starts and it ends when the relationship is over for both person involved, isn't that how a romance work? What kind of story where you expecting?

I don't see how her dying would make a better story than her just going out of his life. The result's the same, she's not there anymore and he has to deal with it. The only difference that her going away brings as opposed to her dying is that it feels a lot more grounded and realistic and you get to see the contrast between adult guy who's an empty mess and adult girl who's living the life.

I don't really see how making the movie longer would make it better either, you got all the info you needed from what was there. I guess it could have expended on the first episode so you get more invested in the relationship because that's the focus of the movie, but I didn't really feel like it was necessary since again, it shows you what it needs to. They make a good couple, share a hobby, enjoy spending time together and have really natural conversations, being more open with each other than with other people. They're both invested enough in the relationship to make some good effort to keep it going despite shit not going their way and they realise that they love each other only when they got separated.

Yeas the relationship is just like any normal relationship in real life because that's what it's trying to portray, telling you that it won't always work out, that break ups are natural and that you shouldn't be depressed about it because it just happens, the whole "don't be sad cause it's over, be happy cause it happened" message.

TounioukApr 15, 2017 5:55 PM
Apr 16, 2017 3:40 AM
Mar 2017
No, well the story is a bit drab but it makes u cry and it is ironic how the train that brought them closer ended up setting them apart even more
Apr 16, 2017 2:33 PM

Apr 2017
The first episode was great I almost cried when she was waiting hours for him.
The second episode was about choosing their future the movie ended and we didn't know their college field or career path.
The third episode was a train wreck The girl married and the boy become alcoholic and quit his job.
May 19, 2017 4:32 PM
Apr 2017
I won't say the story is shit or that it's a bad movie per say. From a writing standpoint I don't see any glaring problems, but I most certainly did not enjoy this movie... It hit waay to close to home for me. This guy and the outcome to his first love and how he ended up was far to realistic for my tastes. Watching this movie was just a cold hard reminder of real life relationships, and that's not what I look for in my entertainment. I'm not a huge fan of Kimi no na wa but I'd definitely take that over this.
Animepleb28May 19, 2017 4:36 PM
Jun 11, 2017 10:02 AM

Jun 2016
_Ako_ said:

I feel the same way

I'm trying to finish the other two episodes, but i can't because their so boring. I know Shinki can do visual storytelling well (watch Garden of Words, the visual story telling in that movie was amazing), but the episodes still need some actual story. This isn't like fooly cooly or cat soup that are able to have no story because of the visual story telling, this is a drama and a romance story, which usally need story to push it forward. Overall, i think this was an ambitious project that didn't work.

Ps. Just because it has Shinki's name in it doesn't make it an instant masterpiece filled with deep stories and fully fleshed out characters
I

Am

Daddy's

Little

Girl
Jun 16, 2017 5:14 PM
May 2017
Honestly I thought it was kinda crap, as others have said the visuals and music were good. But there was no character development, I just felt that this movie was all artsy stuff and not enough of an actual story, honestly I didnt really find that there was any solid romance.

Part 1 romance yea it was ok, but they were just kids, romances mean nothing really at that age (which I understand is part of the story, but really this is the only actual romance in this movie, and even that is not that well developed or meaningful as the characters dont really have any personalities for me to care what they do)
Part 2 romance, girl sees guy one time instantly likes him, only reason of hers for liking him (that I remember) is that he is nice?
Part 3 honestly I didnt even realise that song was ending the film lol, I saw him walk away from the rail track and was like damn she left, I wonder what happens next, oh its the end... right... (yea maybe I should have checked how long the movie actually was)

4/10 for me
Jun 28, 2017 2:28 PM

Feb 2013
I was recommended this as a "tear-jerker" on reddit... Gotta say I'm disappointed. There was no character development, I wasn't attached to any of the characters and certainly didn't care whether or not they would end up together...
Awesome Forum Set by @SenpieX
Jul 6, 2017 7:32 PM
Nov 2016
Honestly can't believe I wasted my time watching this shit LOL
Jul 6, 2017 8:00 PM

Oct 2014
story what story?
this has absolutely no story, or characters, everything that happens in=s just a excuse for shinkai to shove in the viewers face its intended message of love and distance
it is good for people that care and can like it for the message alone but i was bored out of my mind when watching this
Jul 9, 2017 9:13 AM

Apr 2011
No, dude. Makoto Shinkai can't write for shit. The only reason people keep riding his dick is because "Muh feels" and visuals.
Jul 9, 2017 8:43 PM

Aug 2008
I agree completely, the plot, characters, and perhaps most importantly, the flow is all massively underdeveloped in every aspect. The only bright spot of this story was Kanae. She was absolutely adorable. Wish Tamaki would've gotten on with his life and gave her a shot. Would've been a better story.
Oct 30, 2017 4:00 AM

Oct 2017
This is the first anime movie I watched. I didn't really know anything about it, so I thought every anime was this Crap untill I watched kimi no Na wa "Your Name". The ending song was the only thing I liked as everyone else said.
''We have to live a life with no regrets.'' -By Portgas D. Ace
Nov 7, 2017 6:54 PM
Oct 2017
Cara eu realmente esperava algo mais desse filme, é todo bagunçado voce entende nada o filme não da um sentido pra historia não faz sentido algum a primeira parte foi boa dai pra frente so decaiu.
Nov 10, 2017 3:31 PM
Aug 2014
Nah man, people are just rating the art. This story is complete crap. Sooooo boring.
Nov 14, 2017 11:26 AM
Oct 2009
Touniouk said:
Hey it's time for the regular 5cm/s hating thread, yay.

I mean whatever, if you couldn't appreciate this movie that's your loss, but I don't really get your criticism of the story.

Episode 1: A kid falls in love with a girl but they get separated from each other without their relationship having any kind of closure.
Episode 2: Kid is now a teenager and is missing out on his present because he's stuck dwelling on the past, hurting himself and others in the process.
Episode 3: Teenager is an adult now and his first relationship is long gone. The first girl basically forgot about him and is living a great life, she moved on, got engaged and seems pretty happy. On the other hand guy wasted a bunch of years being depressed and having a relationship with someone else that went nowhere, he wonders how or why he let himself get to this point and then gets over the fact that his first relationship is over, never had and never will have any closure and decides to move on and start his life over.

The scene where he gets over it and moves on is the part where you're suppose to have "the feels" because of the bittersweet fact that his first love is over but that for the first time he admits it to himself which enables him to move on.

I wouldn't call the 2nd episode filler since it serves to get into the protagonist's state of mind, it's been a while since ep 1 but he's still dwelling on it to the point where he doesn't even realise what's happening around him or cares about anything else really.

The movie starts when the relationship starts and it ends when the relationship is over for both person involved, isn't that how a romance work? What kind of story where you expecting?

I don't see how her dying would make a better story than her just going out of his life. The result's the same, she's not there anymore and he has to deal with it. The only difference that her going away brings as opposed to her dying is that it feels a lot more grounded and realistic and you get to see the contrast between adult guy who's an empty mess and adult girl who's living the life.

I don't really see how making the movie longer would make it better either, you got all the info you needed from what was there. I guess it could have expended on the first episode so you get more invested in the relationship because that's the focus of the movie, but I didn't really feel like it was necessary since again, it shows you what it needs to. They make a good couple, share a hobby, enjoy spending time together and have really natural conversations, being more open with each other than with other people. They're both invested enough in the relationship to make some good effort to keep it going despite shit not going their way and they realise that they love each other only when they got separated.

Yeas the relationship is just like any normal relationship in real life because that's what it's trying to portray, telling you that it won't always work out, that break ups are natural and that you shouldn't be depressed about it because it just happens, the whole "don't be sad cause it's over, be happy cause it happened" message.

Episode 1: "A kid falls in love with a girl but they get separated from each other without their relationship having any kind of closure." - That was okay.

Episode 2: "Kid is now a teenager and is missing out on his present because he's stuck dwelling on the past, hurting himself and others in the process." That's where everything falls apart. We didn't see why they stop sending letters. In the last episode we see that they both looked in the mailbox, i think they both waited for a letter, but why meither of them tried to send a letter ? So if they still had smth in common they would continue to communicate. If they grew apart or lost interest in each other then they wouldn't look in the mailbox waiting ... But we clearly see that they both waiting for letters from each other, ridicolous because you should write to get an answer. If only one of them moved on then it contradicts the story since we see that they are both waiting not one of them. Somebody said that the boy is still in love, how youcan be in love with someone when you can remember him/her and her face ? That's just melancholy. and it passes so the girl in ep. 2 totally had a chance, i would understand if she just couldn't do it, but the fact that she could and was going to but didn't do it because she understood that the protoganist desised someone else ... How did she make that conclusion and was sure of it ? In reality you chicken or try and if she tried she had a chance ... The protoganists loce was gone already.

Episode 3: "Teenager is an adult now and his first relationship is long gone. The first girl basically forgot about him and is living a great life, she moved on, got engaged and seems pretty happy. On the other hand guy wasted a bunch of years being depressed and having a relationship with someone else that went nowhere, he wonders how or why he let himself get to this point and then gets over the fact that his first relationship is over, never had and never will have any closure and decides to move on and start his life over." His love and first relationship are long gone. They both forgot about each other, the difference that she moved on and was happy while they guy also moved on but for some reason he is depressed for some reason, drink etc. Why ? They didn't communicate and he didn't even try so why everyone says he is depressed because he couldn't forget his first love ? He already almost forgot about her in ep 2. Well you see you may be depressed or feel down for few years not from middle scholl till adulthood. He understood that the relationship was over long ago, he accepted it, so not way he can be depressed about it for so long, people move on. I would understand if his life just didn't go as he wanted, and he was depressed but not because of his first love. OR If we were shown that he tried to write her and still loved her while she rejected him moved on and lived happily ever after, while he couldn't forget her and loved her and suffered, but that way you should cut off scenes where she waits his letters. show that he tried to write her, show that he remembers her etc. But the story just won't add up that's why it sucks.
Nov 14, 2017 11:29 AM

Apr 2011
The manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the anime
Dec 28, 2017 7:54 AM

Sep 2016
kodas110 said:
/SPOILER FOR ERASED ALERT/

Mate, you can't compare this with Erased, first the guy she married in erased wasn't a stranger but their best friend, second there was no love relationship between her and mc. Please stop with these pointless "cuck conspiracies", they're ridicolous (airi best girl btw).

By the way OP you're not the only one.
The movie itself isn't shit but the story is.
1) Cringy and undecisive MC, after she leaves without giving him the letter he just ruins his own youth, without trying to contact his love first. He just waits for someone that decided to discard him.
2) Main girl that decides to leave MC and never contacts him again, she does not even try! She just decides to not give him her letter (but she takes the kiss and the "warming session"), she doesn't say "it's better if we forget each other", she just does so, unilaterally.
3) Girl in the second chapter, she could be the salvation for MC, she just has to confess and make him go past his first love. Decides to not confess for no real reason. Another character that will spend youth with remorse, yay!

And after that you show that asshole main girl lived happily right after she left.

But yeah, MC finally moved on.
This changes everything!

Not really.
Gave the movie 7/10 anyway.
The 3 missing points are 0/3 of story and characters.
bruh
Dec 29, 2017 7:41 PM
Feb 2017
Nah dude, I just watched and I also thought it was a complete waste of my time like holy sh*t this movie horrible!!!!
DuffsterOct 1, 2020 7:33 AM
Jan 14, 2018 9:24 AM
Dec 2017
Well, upon reading this thread it doesn't seem like it...
I personally loved the movie and gave it a 10/10.
Jan 14, 2018 9:33 AM

Jan 2014
I thought it was mediocre. Tbh, I was really surprised because everyone had put so much praise/hype into it.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 1, 2018 6:57 PM

Aug 2013
this thread gave me cancer. i feel that most of the people who agrees with the shit that the op wrote never had a relationship or at least came close to having.

i mean, the story is very normal, almost every teen felt what they felt, the fear of being annoying to the loved one, the lack of courage to say what you feel, the suffering of first love, etc.

but of course, what should i expect from a forum with a lot of grown men who loves sword art online and ""waifus""
Feb 14, 2018 12:20 AM

Sep 2015
icontinuetofight said:
this thread gave me cancer. i feel that most of the people who agrees with the shit that the op wrote never had a relationship or at least came close to having.

i mean, the story is very normal, almost every teen felt what they felt, the fear of being annoying to the loved one, the lack of courage to say what you feel, the suffering of first love, etc.

but of course, what should i expect from a forum with a lot of grown men who loves sword art online and ""waifus""

I think most of them are just misinterpreting how a movie/anime should be. They expect every anime/movie to be full of actions and plots while this anime is about messages in life.

People who understand the purpose of this movie are simply those that have empathy, which is absent in most kids. This pretty much sums up most of the MAL userbase.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Feb 24, 2018 1:18 AM

Jun 2011
Nou-Tan said:
Episode One : a guy going to another city from a train to a train , he meets that girl and kisses her!OK ( More like an advertisement for trains actually xD )
Episode Two : that guy lives his school life in a city and a girl wanted to confess and she couldn't! OK again
Episode Three : That guy the guy and the girl grew up and didn't talk , the end of a love story ! Wait what ? The end ? What happened? Was there even a story? I read all discussions here but nothing good😐 like really ? Someone explain it otherwise I'll give it 2/10 ( usually I want to give it 1/10 but the Graphics of the Nature and Sakura were really good )
And Episode 2 was more like a filler and has nothing to do with the story !!!!!!
The love relationship/story in that movie was just like any other normal relationship in real life , messaging then breaking up nothing special! Nothing sad about it ! There's no death or something, if she died at least the story would have been better

Okay just watched the movie. Oh my gosh, does it not compare to the manga! The manga had me crying and hurting for each of the characters, but the movie -- you wouldn't know what's really going on. The movie acts as if there's a chance for Takaki and Akari, as if they might meet before her wedding, that Risa didn't matter at all, and that Kanae was entirely filler. The manga was so heartbreaking and incredible!
Feb 28, 2018 9:07 AM

Sep 2008
It's interesting to see how people's opinion of something they watch is so heavily influenced by the score and praise they see on MAL for it. This movie was almost universally praised 10 years ago when it was rated 8.7 but now it seems there are a huge number of people who can finally admit that they found it boring since they don't have to pretend that they saw the value that other people pretended to see in it. I'm not saying this applies to everyone and I'm sure there are some people who actually still like this movie, but it's clear that most people's opinions really are heavily influenced and biased by the score they see before picking it up. Likely their enjoyment is also affected by the score and hype surrounding a show.
Feb 28, 2018 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
I just don't understand why there need to be extreme situations (character deaths and shit) for you to see any value in a story. I always viewed it as a commentary on peoples ability to let go and what kind of damage that does to you as a person. Having said that I don't think the film is perfect and it does drag on a little bit.

Nou-Tan said:

There's no death or something, if she died at least the story would have been better

Like seriously how would it make it better? I genuinly don't understand this kind of thinking.
I will insert Yugioh into everything and you can't fucking stop me
Mar 2, 2018 7:41 AM
Aug 2011
icontinuetofight said:

When I saw this Movie I was already in Highscool and I know the feeling when your 1st love don't bear fruit and I think that's one of the reason I feel empathy to the MC.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2018 3:58 AM
Feb 2018
I think the story is bad and not well conveyed.

I get the message of the movie but i just could not care about the characters. The story telling was clear enough for me to think its beautiful. Art was top notch though. But i just couldn't feel it to the bottom of my heart. I think its poor character development that caused me to feel like 'That's it?' at the end of the movie.

If you want to care your opinion, go ahead. I want to know why its so good to the majority of the anime community. Give good reasons and ill listen to you.
Apr 2, 2018 9:23 PM

Jan 2016
It's a waste of time for me.
Apr 10, 2018 1:19 AM

Jan 2018
Story there isn't any but can understand meaning of the movie
Good work with art and songs
Second episode was a waste of time instead they should have worked more on the last episode oh that's right there is no story it's plain old life
I wanted to escape from reality while watching but this movie pulled me down to the earth and kicked me in the face I don't like that
Apr 10, 2018 9:08 AM
Mar 2018
Gotta agree on the story part, lets be real here, they were only 13 years old at the time, no one holds them kinda feelings for someone they liked at 13 and never seen again 15 years later. Just isnt realistic to me.
May 26, 2018 6:48 AM

Apr 2017
i used to hate this until reality bugged me and thats what the anime is literally about

people nowadays loves something like kimi no na wa which is literally garbage compared to this. this is such a great work of shinkai idk man

if this had happy ending, ill see people praising ffs

still life: pink roses
Aug 12, 2018 5:25 PM
Jan 2017
Im very late but still

I got this movie recomended after watching kimi no na wa and koe no katachi and from what i read from the discription for this movie i thought it could be fun but it was boring and didnt really do much i just feel like i wasted an hour
Oct 23, 2018 11:07 PM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
ITT: People who only like unrealistic happy endings or grandiose tales beyond the realm of normal daily life

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 23, 2018 11:16 PM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
5layer said:
This movie was almost universally praised 10 years ago when it was rated 8.7 but now it seems there are a huge number of people who can finally admit that they found it boring since they don't have to pretend that they saw the value that other people pretended to see in it.

Biggest load of bollocks I've read in my life right here. People aren't pretending to like something to fit in just because their opinion doesn't match your own. More likely than not it's because the people who loved it in yesteryear have moved onto other stuff and the majority of people picking it up this late aren't the audience it was made for.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.