Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 10, 2016 6:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hm, they are adapting more of the Distant Thunder parts. Makes sense with this pacing considering the storytelling has been pretty well done so far.

Oh God, that Matsunaga Shouichi guy is funny as hell. The old man is 65 years old but still has it with his shogi talent. Might be the funniest shogi match so far just because of the dialogues, techniques, and movements used. Quite a funny episode. We need more of Matsunaga.

Dec 10, 2016 8:06 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Funny episode? is tremendous with a beautiful fight, on the board, of course ;)

Great episode for my taste ;)
Dec 10, 2016 9:36 AM

Jan 2012
Well Matsunaga was certainly uh...quite the colorful character. At least he's not quitting, and Rei wasn't psyched out. Missed the girls this week though. Christmas next?
Dec 10, 2016 10:10 AM

Apr 2014
Lol at the Darth Vader reference, this is the first time the shoji match has been fun. With the previous episode explaining shoji its more interesting. Plus the inner monologues humanizes Rei much more than in the past. The middle of the episode is interesting with the shoji cats. Luckily its like a min long and explains the match well but idk how this will work with other episodes that are more serious.

This is probably the best comedic episode yet. Backgrounds look wonderful this episode! Overall it was a very basic story arc that did develop Rei.
moodieDec 10, 2016 10:18 AM
Dec 10, 2016 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
Really good episode, pretty funny as well.

Matsunaga was quite the character, I don't know how to describe him. xD
All of his actions from praying at the temple, the game with Rei, the drunk stuff and even his little rant that he'd have to chores at the very end were really funny.

I didn't really expect Matsunaga to cry, Must have been hard to consider quit after 40 years. If anything he deserves a shout out for 40 years of perseverance. Glad he's continuing though. :D
Dec 10, 2016 10:46 AM

Feb 2015
Yea, fuck you, you venomous bitch. Good job cutting her off, Rei. Fantastic compassion helping out your opponent like that, and then not having any of that repulsive bitch's bullshit.
Dec 10, 2016 11:43 AM

Jul 2016
This episode began and ended well, but the middle of it was so frustrating to me. Three whole minutes with Matsunaga's history rant didn't feel funny to me, just kind of annoying. I think they would have been way better off just giving us a taste of it and then a time lapse to prove their point. Also, the shogi cat song and dance seems like it goes on forever... I guess I really just want more substance from the show.

The ending delivered though. Matsunaga crying and confessing his feelings about the match was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. And of course Rei can relate and worry with him, both loving shogi and dreading it at times as well. It was a great interaction between them.
asleepypeachDec 10, 2016 12:01 PM
Dec 10, 2016 11:45 AM

May 2015
Wow, Matsunaga sure had a lot of character to him. I feel like he's affected Rei in a big way. Their shogi match in particular was pretty funny with all the dialogue. I also like that Matsunaga decided not to quit after all. He really doesn't want to have to do chores.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Dec 10, 2016 1:43 PM

Jun 2014
Lol as far as I can recall, I think this is the first time I've seen a Star Wars reference in anime.

Matsunaga was a pretty funny character and it was great to see his interactions with Rei after their match.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 10, 2016 1:45 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Matsunaga is energetic for 65 yrs olds. That grilled eel looks delicious.
That Darth Vader Reference. NICE!!

Those moon shots with Rei & Matsunaga were beautiful & amazing.
All he's got is Shogi. Nice that Matsunaga is not going to retire yet, but his reason LOL.

Yeah Rei you tell Kyouko WHAT'S UP!!
Santoryu_XBurnerDec 10, 2016 1:49 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 10, 2016 2:12 PM

Apr 2016
Poor Kyouko! All this hardwork to destroy Rei's willingness to win! Even sleeping in his apartment for that! All these efforts early morning to find the right words to break him! All this bullying!

All
for
nothing!

Poor girl!
:)

(I like the saxophone sounds that comes in the background with her, it fits with her image)

Use work as excuse to avoid house chores : that's real life experience for you!
The cat song for the third time might be a bit too much. Except that, funny game and great episode! Go Rei!
Dec 10, 2016 2:37 PM

Aug 2013
I didn't like the first half (or rather 3/4) at all, it was not funny for me. Not my kind of humor. When they left the restaurant, it started to be interesting.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 10, 2016 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
Fuck yeah her attempt to mess with him failed!

Life is good.
Dec 10, 2016 3:20 PM

Jul 2013
I expected this episode to be sad for all the stuff of the old man dealing with a posible retirement due all his lately defeats, but it turns that, while the scene when he decides to not left shogi was moving, he wanted to keep playing it for all the wrong reasons, lol.
I liked the old man, he is a funny character and I really liked his interactions with Rei during the episode (also I laughed a lot in the scene when he starts to told Rei his anecdotes and the story of his town, because that has happened to me irl too).

Glad how Kyouko's scheme didn't worked at the end. Still liking her a lot, strangely.

The Darth Vader reference totally took me by surprise, lol.
Dec 10, 2016 3:38 PM

May 2015
Old man was awesome.

Also Darth Vader cameo was really funny. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 10, 2016 4:45 PM

Jan 2014
BEST EPISODE YET <3 !!!!!!!!
Dec 10, 2016 4:45 PM

Apr 2010
well that was one of the better episodes so far.. what a rollercoaster ride of emotions.. Matsunaga-san wasn't the boring old person I was expecting, hope to see him more in the future.. and.. in ur face Kyouko!! hahaha.. XD
Dec 10, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2015
Matsunaga is one funny and nice old man, lol. I hope we'll get to see him more!

Although, the comedy was kinda a hit or miss for me during the shogi match. Still, it was a really nice and enjoyable episode though.

Dec 10, 2016 4:47 PM

Feb 2016
I liked the whole thing very much but had to skip the shogi song again, well I guess it could help someone learn shogi?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 10, 2016 5:13 PM

Nov 2016
I kind of felt sorry for the old man, but he was hilarious!
Dec 10, 2016 5:18 PM

Aug 2015
Matsunaga had more personality that I would have expected. Rei makes friends with the weirdest of people.
Dec 10, 2016 5:25 PM

Jun 2013
so i guess shogi song is gonna be a thing now
Dec 10, 2016 5:56 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I love this old geezer <3 What a bright personality. I love how Rei dealt with the situation, wonderful cinematography once again for the episode.
Dec 10, 2016 6:32 PM

Jun 2015
The comedy in this episode was hilarious. Matsunaga rant was both insightful and funny. He knew he was going to lose the shogi match, but he tried his best to win. The shogi match was intense though. Rei couldn't figure out what Matsunaga was doing. The way the match was animated was beautiful. I wasn't expecting to see Darth Vader behind Matsunaga. That surprised me. He called Rei the Grim Reaper because he would be the end for him. The reason he was playing for so long is because he didn't want to do chores. I teared up a bit when he was crying. I'm happy he's not going to retire. Rei talking back to Kyouko was awesome. Her plan to make Rei depressed failed. This was a great episode.
Dec 10, 2016 6:42 PM

Oct 2013
Some good dramedy this episode. It was funny how Rei would have his own image of Matsunaga, but Matsunaga would always shoot it down. It was cool that Rei thwarted the designs of Kyouko.
Dec 10, 2016 6:51 PM

Jul 2014
Are they seriously going to use the shogi song as filler? smh
Dec 10, 2016 7:49 PM

May 2013
I thought this episode supposed to be serious, but this is funny as hell lol.
Dec 10, 2016 8:03 PM

Sep 2015
Thought it was gonna be full on sad and feeling sorry for the old man but the reason he didn't want to retire lighten the mood up.
Dec 10, 2016 8:16 PM

Nov 2016
Oh my god that shogi song creeps me the hell out. I thought it was a one-time thing..
Anyways, I loved all the comedy in this week's episode. The dynamic between Matsunaga and Rei is very entertaining to watch, I was actually laughing out loud during the shogi match.
Dec 10, 2016 8:17 PM

Apr 2014
D-ohnuts said:
Are they seriously going to use the shogi song as filler? smh
A filler? It was explaining how Rei won. Besides it was like 60 seconds. And 3 gatsu airs for 25 min which is longer than usual anime. Dont act like they shoved 5 min into the song.
Dec 10, 2016 9:05 PM

Oct 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Poor Kyouko! All this hardwork to destroy Rei's willingness to win! Even sleeping in his apartment for that! All these efforts early morning to find the right words to break him! All this bullying!

All
for
nothing!

Poor girl!
:)

(I like the saxophone sounds that comes in the background with her, it fits with her image)

Use work as excuse to avoid house chores : that's real life experience for you!
The cat song for the third time might be a bit too much. Except that, funny game and great episode! Go Rei!
Lol I agree. Poor Kyouko, all that hard work to get a satisfying response from Rei.
All
for
nothing! xD

I loved this ep and how it focused on Matsunaga and his life. Quite an emotional and impactful scene when he cried his heart out. Glad to see Rei so impersonally cut off Kyouko like that, a truly satisfying response indeed :)
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Dec 10, 2016 9:14 PM

Feb 2012
The shogi song is so bad...please stop. The old man was somewhat interesting I enjoyed the talk about Rei being the grim reaper coming to close the curtain. I wonder what Kyouko will do after Rei blew her off like that.
Dec 11, 2016 12:22 AM

Jan 2013
Love the serious moments, the comedy is alright.
Good episode as usual
Dec 11, 2016 12:46 AM

Dec 2014
I liked the episode...pretty funny... I feel rei is always being used by people you know
Dec 11, 2016 12:54 AM
May 2016
Rei's shogi match with Matsunaga was fun, though I don't know how the shogi works. Rei learn new things with this old man, 40 years in shogi, Rei start to questioned himself about his future. Kyouko as usual messing again with Rei. Its a great episode, looking forward for the next.
Dec 11, 2016 1:22 AM

Jul 2014
Impressive how a 25 minute episode can only have 3 minutes of non-terrible content excluding the OP and ED. Seriously, this episode was by far the worst of the show so far. None of the comedy was funny, we didn't need the fucking shogi song AGAIN, the Darth Vader reference didn't even make sense as one of the few bits that people considered funny and that stupid history rant was complete filler, plain and simple. I only listened to the first minute of it before fast-forwarding through the rest of the rant onto the only good part of the entire episode.
Dec 11, 2016 1:36 AM

Sep 2013
This was a hilariously painful episode to watch. Some of the comedy bits were home runs like how the bear goes in//out of the cave, the two trying to avoid each other after the match and how the old man refuses to retire from shogi so he can avoid chores.

The other comedy parts weren't all that great and was cringe worthy. The shogi cat song was decent on the first watch but doing it again the next episode put a sour taste in my mouth. The cherry on top was the lengthy history lesson that felt like an eternity to finish. I legitimately had to pause twice to do something else. Any of the serious moments like the old man's monologue at the end didn't hit me at all, as I just despised his character design and all I thought about was punching him.

2/5- As always, Rei's inner monologue is written well and I enjoy hearing his thoughts though this time around wasn't up to par. Other than the two comedy bits that I mentioned, all the other comedy moments just fell flat. I really hope I don't see this old man again. The sounds he makes and his facial expressions gives me the instant "go away" mindset.
TehSnawnDec 11, 2016 1:41 AM

Dec 11, 2016 4:12 AM

Mar 2013
I found the episode to be boring but near the end, it was emotional. Glad that he isn't retiring anytime soon.
Dec 11, 2016 5:57 AM

Oct 2011
This show has less and less of a plot direction with every new episode.

What was the point in the history lesson? The retirement thing turned out to be bs as well. Only like 1-2 minutes of the episode could be said to have made any sense

Dec 11, 2016 9:03 AM

Nov 2011
Really really good episode. It started out funny which was a nice change of pace but it got pretty serious more into the episode. When the old man called Rei the Grim Reaper I was like "Oh man that's deep" Then he called him "The beautiful grim reaper"I was like Damn that's cool. Rei seemed to grow a little more in this episode two. Realizing this man has done nothing but Shogi for forty years and starts to consider if he will do the same. I mean he never said that but he definitely thought about his future before the match.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 11, 2016 9:34 AM

Apr 2011
O_O Darth vador what the heck are you doing here?
Dec 11, 2016 11:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rei really put Kyoko in her place. I expect her to come back later with some more venom though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 11, 2016 1:53 PM

Feb 2014
Well, if you want a lot about Japanese History, just give Matsunaga a lot of his favourite sake. >__<

The comedy took a lot of time throughout the episode, but for the most part, it was good. It is amusing to watch Matsunaga go from confident to panicking in a Shogi match so frequently. =P

Easily the best part of the episode was after they left the restaurant and headed to the river. Matsunaga was really honest about his chances of winning, but he was also honest about his feelings about Shogi itself. Despite the ups and downs he has had during his 40 year career, he doesn't want to give it up just yet.

This gave Rei the perfect opportunity to call Kyoko and stick it to her. Her malicious taunts least week was cruel and I'm glad that it worked out for Rei, so he can get one back at Kyoko for that. =)

This episode overall was good, but the sisters never made an appearance at all. I miss them already. D=
Dec 11, 2016 2:11 PM

May 2014
YESSS MY NIGAAA REI SHUT THAT BITCH DOWN!!!!1

I got hyped when he hit her with that "he's not going to quit" line. BROS BEFORE HOES! This bitch is trying to play with him.

But honestly, i hope she really loves Rei. If they got together then it would be the most interesting couple ever!! But i don't think thats the case. She's too antagonized in the anime more the producers to make her a couple with rei. She's pretty much there just to add a exciting conversation dynamic. And oh god I love watching her interaction with Rei.

Please put in an actual love interest for Rei though! This anime would be a 10/10 for me if they introduced romance!
Dec 11, 2016 3:18 PM

Jun 2015
Alpha101 said:
Please put in an actual love interest for Rei though! This anime would be a 10/10 for me if they introduced romance!
I find the kind of relationships the series has been trying to build up until this point more commendable than just another romance.

Kyoko is kind of a weird character so far. It has afforded the show some undeniable dynamism and remains quite the hard-to-judge character. But precisely that ambiguity is what makes her a risky one in terms of the overall composition. Like, cheap attempts to redeem her later on if she keeps going in this direction won't possibly work too well, and yet she has to be perfectly fitted in in the background. Which so far seems to be the case.

-

Directionwise this episode had that shogi alternate ending in-between for the second time in a row which as a variation managed to work for the 7th episode's closure but they could as well have ditched it for the last two.
Also surprised to see one episode without the sisters and rather quite focussed in shogi is one of my favorite ones so far. It might be for the similar tone it kept throughout, without any major shifts this time.
Dec 12, 2016 3:59 AM

Feb 2013
...you guys do realize the shogi song was explaining what each of the 8 different pieces do and their roles, right? It was doing it 3 at a time, so this one should be the last shogi song. I personally learned a bit from them.
Dec 12, 2016 5:42 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A slow but entertaining episode
Rei's opponent though was certainly interesting

Kyouko still has a hold over Rei eh
well there are no age limits for sports like Chess
so having someone his age as your opponent is not surprising

lol Rei's reaction on seeing what his opponent was wishing for
but damn his opponent looks rather dejected
in this situation you can only do the best you can and hope that
your opponent does the same

lol Rei's opponents expression as Rei made his move
lol so he wasn't thinking at all eh
lol the shadow of darth Vader appearing behind him
lol what a painful game for both

love the 8 bit representation of the scene though
wow what a breach of etiquette
you should lose gracefully and not be disrespectful to the game

lol both Rei and his opponent was thinking of the same thing
and both arriving at the stairs at more or less the same time
lol being angry and at the same time being embarrassed because he's hungry

still love the opening though and this anime really has made me
interested in shogi

Forcing Rei to treat him because of his loss eh
well i guess they both need to eat after that match though
hmm just as you expect as a veteran in that he knows Rei's adapted father as well
his accessment of Kyouko was straight on

the brief history lesson lol
hmm Masayuki Hoshina was quite the lord eh
he did a lot for his subjects and for his province

hmm to Rei's opponent Shogi is his life and now that he's lost
it seems that he's lost his center
hmm so that was his image of Rei eh
the grim reaper that came to close the curtain of his shogi career eh

So he accepted that fact the cannot win but yet decided that he didn't want to lose still at least he tried his best

Its nice to see Rei standing up to Kyouka though
man Kyouka causes nothing but trouble
the thought of doing housework instead of shogi is terrifying
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2016 6:47 AM
Sep 2015
Great episode, I kept feeling bad for the old man so it was nice seeing him not retiring
Also, fuck you kyouko
Dec 12, 2016 8:11 AM

Feb 2014
DoctorWasabi said:
BEST EPISODE YET <3 !!!!!!!!

Have to agree on that!! This episode softened my heart!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 12, 2016 8:48 AM

Jul 2009
Huh, wasn't a huge fan of this episode but it was nice to see the mentalities of other players. Especially someone who's been playing for so long - of course he wouldn't want to lose or retire! This episode was pretty heavy on the comedy as well. I guess it's good that he decided not to retire in the end. Kyouko showed up a little this episode as well, but looks like Rei shut her down huh :P Preview looks interesting though, we might get a flashback on Christmas in the past with Rei's family? :O
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.