Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 8, 2016 6:40 PM

So, recently, i have an idea to make "My Anime Quality Rating Scale".
It's basically a measuring instrument for anime quality using one to ten likert scale.
But, In order to make this instrument I need to know factors, elements and dimensions that builds up an anime and I have a problem in determining which factors, elements and dimensions that necessary to take into account.
I know some basic factors such as artwork, storytelling, sounds/musics, and animation.
But it's just the main factors which still have a wide definition.
I would like to know your guys opinion about elements that builds up those factors and what makes it high quality or not (their dimensions).

For example : I think artwork can be devided into two elements which are character design and background. Character design that I think has a high quality is a realistic nose (credit to: @kamisama751) because it gives realistic feel.

That's just a brief example.

I know that each genre has their own factors and elements, specially for short animation and animated music. I also want to know your opinion about this.

So, I repeat my question. What elements do you think that builds up an anime and what makes it high quality? Also why it's necessary?

Updated :
To keep this on the track. I asked your guys opinion about elements in anime. What elements do you think is important and why? And what makes it high quality in "your opinion". I didn't asked opinion about my rating system or your rating system. Though sharing your way in determining a show is "good" or "bad" in a specific elements or genre also very helpful.
Modified by Kurniawan_Ktr, Dec 8, 2016 10:00 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"

Dec 8, 2016 6:50 PM
fanservice<3

cute girls, sexy girls, ass, titties, skimpy outfits :D

Dec 8, 2016 6:57 PM

EcchiLordMamster said:

I would say those are some dimensios for character design, an element from artwork factor.
So, cute, sexy and skimpy outfits. How about ass and titties? what makes ass and titties high quality?
Their size or shape? Or any else?
And why they are necessary?
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".

Dec 8, 2016 7:06 PM

I mean, I get why this might be a good idea to help people to get their thoughts in order, but there's something artificial and awkward about trying to evaluate a work as a whole by simply making a tally of its parts.

Kurniawan_Ktr said:
For example : I think artwork can be devided into two elements which are character design and background. Character design that I think has a high quality is a realistic nose (credit to: @kamisama751) because it gives realistic feel.

A "high quality" realistic-looking character design would probably have a realistic-looking nose, yes. But staking "high-quality" on realism or detail ignores the many other functions of character design - ease of animation, accentuated/exaggerated (anime) features, contrast with setting art; etc. And this is hardly an easily quantifiable thing when anime so often are filled with scenes of variably quality - sometimes intentionally drawn differently by different animators.

Perhaps that doesn't matter to your aesthetic preferences OP, but it surely is one of the countless factors that go into - and can affect an anime's 'quality'.

So if this is where you're at, I think there's a long way to go before you'd have a satisfactory categorisation of anime's many parts. But keep up the pedantic pursuit, it can be informing.
Modified by Ckan, Dec 8, 2016 7:11 PM

Dec 8, 2016 7:14 PM
fanservice<3

Kurniawan_Ktr said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

I would say those are some dimensios for character design, an element from artwork factor.
So, cute, sexy and skimpy outfits. How about ass and titties? what makes ass and titties high quality?
Their size or shape? Or any else?
And why they are necessary?

what makes them high quality? the same reason they are irl? lol

the same reason theyre necessary irl?.... lol...

Dec 8, 2016 7:24 PM
There is no consistent way to rate a show because some shows prioritize different aspects more than others. RedLine has the best art and animation in the anime industry but also has a mediocre story and serviceable characters.

Dec 8, 2016 7:25 PM

Firstly, you need to set a standard. What show characteristic could represent the lowest scale on that criterion, and what would represent the highest. Without this, you cannot give a concrete, objective criteria on things.

i.e. Striking Daughter lacks realism, while Nami represents the ascended human condition. So anything that looks like Striking Daughter is bad at realism, and if realism is considered as a criterion for art, then it would have low value, and Nami, high value.

Though this is actually a rigorous attempt to compare almost show at each other, and to validate criteria objectively is actually moot and virtually impossible, considering the differing opinions of others.

Though if you would zero out all other opinion, and restrict with your own view, this is my opinion that could help:

Generally, my only distinction between anime is either it is directed on mass market or the niche market, and their respective genres. Those which mass market is the target is very similar with each other, and is easy to compare with each other. On the other hand, the niche market shows are actually experimental, avant-garde, and limited. They are very obscure, sometimes unpopular, and is not worthy of scrutiny.

Some experimental films, i.e. Mind Game gained acclaim but still remains as a niche market show; I cannot directly compare it with other mass market shows like Gintama or Tokyo Ghoul. Naruto is a mass market show and manga, often similar to other Shounen Jump franchises like Bleach and One Piece, and thus is easier to compare.

To conclude, how I judge the quality of anime is first I need to distinguish their target (mass market or niche), their genre, and start comparing it along their relatives. Those shows which I deem unique is actually rated high, either 9 or 10 because I cannot find a respective show to compare them with.
Modified by Joms, Dec 8, 2016 7:29 PM

Dec 8, 2016 7:26 PM

for me the most important part when reading is the characterization, but if i'm watching its definetly the pretty music
good music=instant 10 in anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 8, 2016 7:38 PM

@Ckan
yeah I know. I actually have thinking it many times, and I am confuse I want to continue build this up or not. Because I understand such this instrument weakness. Especially for a work which can't fill the instrument by itself. But It's just I like to see something into it's detail than see it as a whole picture. And I think making it in a more detail parts makes it easier to judge, no?

Yeah, character design are not usually intended to be realistic. But they surely has their own purpose, no?. For example, CGDCTs have a moe character design to makes the viewers relax, because it's CGDCT shows goals.

For my example in the thread, It's just a brief example I gives, so people won't make this thread a simple listing and also gives me some insight. I don't intended to use realistic nose in my final instrument.

Yeah, this will be a long journey, really. But when I am into a thing, I like to diving deeply. ^^

Dec 8, 2016 7:42 PM

It should include Imout/Loli, Oppai... and the Beach EP's for some better fapping experience.

EDIT: Ohh shit, Mamster beat me to it...

Dec 8, 2016 8:27 PM

@15poundfish
Yeah, I actually understand that pretty well. I don't ask for generalized opinion, because I understand how wide this medium is. By the way, what makes RedLine's art and animation good? Why the story is mediocre? What did you see in it's art, animation and story to comes to those conclusions?

@Joms
yeah, i want to make my own criteria about it's "quality" by my own perspective.

Though I asked for others opinion because it may gives me some insight. And, since I currently facing a problem in determining what should I take into account.

Thanks for sharing your way in rating. This gave me an idea to make not only one instrument.

In my current rating system, I also compare anime to decide it's rating, I am a bit unfair to some certain genre and niche market shows though. That's why I decided to refine my rating system.

@Extect
characterization falls under storytelling in my books. What do you think important in characterization? And what makes music in anime good for you? And do you think opening and ending soundtrack are important parts? Why?

@EcchiLordMamster @_Ako_
lol. . . Some insight for me to rate hentai and borderline hentai

Dec 8, 2016 8:31 PM

Kurniawan_Ktr said:

@EcchiLordMamster @_Ako_

What, are you kidding me dude? That does not rate hentai/borderline, it can be applied to any series out there, for example, since I am watching Monster right now, Nina is a pretty cute girl, but no beach EP/great oppai, therefore it will be lower than 5/10, not to mention, Tenma's an ass. -2, which 3/10.

Dec 8, 2016 8:44 PM

_Ako_ said:
Kurniawan_Ktr said:

@EcchiLordMamster @_Ako_

What, are you kidding me dude? That does not rate hentai/borderline, it can be applied to any series out there, for example, since I am watching Monster right now, Nina is a pretty cute girl, but no beach EP/great oppai, therefore it will be lower than 5/10, not to mention, Tenma's an ass. -2, which 3/10.

lol

Yeah, it can be applied to any series. But applying it to my rating system will make Serial Experiments Lain rated 3 or 1. Maybe 5 if Lain counts as loli(?). I don't want my "imouto"'s show rated a 1 :P.

Dec 8, 2016 8:45 PM

Maybe not the kind of response you're looking for, but for me personally, I don't really rate certain elements individually like that. What I look for, is how these elements work together. Great visuals and animation is good and all, but it really doesn't faze me much if other, more integral elements are lacking. Essentially, there's a certain triad of elements that I hold to a high degree; characters, themes, and atmosphere. Can you, the writer, creator, or whatever, sell to me that:

1) These characters interact and react in believable performances overall (I know that in animation, certain liberties are taken for exaggeration, so there's wiggle room)
2) Your theme was woven into the narrative appropriately and conveys a message that I should care for
3) The atmosphere takes a life of its own, thrusting me into your world and emotions through music and sounds that enhance the experience.
4) These three main factors flow and take form in a pleasant and convincing manner.

That's what it ultimately comes down for me. It's just rather jarring for me to rate elements individually; think of a sports team. I could point out a selection of the greatest athletes on a team or the worst, but what matters above all else is how these athletes work together. Through this, you can see if the team is cohesive among each other, or in disarray. That's how I approach anime that I consider 'high quality', roughly.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Dec 8, 2016 8:46 PM

Kurniawan_Ktr said:
_Ako_ said:

lol

Yeah, it can be applied to any series. But applying it to my rating system will make Serial Experiments Lain rated 3 or 1. Maybe 5 if Lain counts as loli(?). I don't want my "imouto"'s show rated a 1 :P.

Well I don't care how you perceive "quality" is, but however you want it to be..xD

Dec 8, 2016 8:54 PM
fanservice<3

Kurniawan_Ktr said:
@15poundfish
Yeah, I actually understand that pretty well. I don't ask for generalized opinion, because I understand how wide this medium is. By the way, what makes RedLine's art and animation good? Why the story is mediocre? What did you see in it's art, animation and story to comes to those conclusions?

@Joms
yeah, i want to make my own criteria about it's "quality" by my own perspective.

Though I asked for others opinion because it may gives me some insight. And, since I currently facing a problem in determining what should I take into account.

Thanks for sharing your way in rating. This gave me an idea to make not only one instrument.

In my current rating system, I also compare anime to decide it's rating, I am a bit unfair to some certain genre and niche market shows though. That's why I decided to refine my rating system.

@Extect
characterization falls under storytelling in my books. What do you think important in characterization? And what makes music in anime good for you? And do you think opening and ending soundtrack are important parts? Why?

@EcchiLordMamster @_Ako_

i don't watch hentai lol... thats a factor for regular anime for me xD

Dec 8, 2016 8:59 PM

Idk fam, sounds pretty hard to make a scale when the definition of "high quality" varies for every individual. Good luck coming up with one that even half the people here can agree upon

Dec 8, 2016 9:08 PM

@EcchiLordMamster

I agree that it is part of the storytelling just my favorite part.

for characterization The basic multi-layered character that actually does things that makes sense showing their backstory and thoughts. (not the type that just gets added to fave character lists)
other than though I usually enjoy the psychological genre because it usually shows the progression of the character's state of mind as it falls apart.

For anime the Opening and ending soundtrack can help make the show better, after a great episode I like to watch the ending and just think about how awsome it was, or the opening gets you into the right mood for the anime, but if the opening/ending aren't good the just get skipped and no longer build up the anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 8, 2016 9:16 PM
fanservice<3

Extect said:
@EcchiLordMamster

for characterization The basic multi-layered character that actually does things that makes sense showing their backstory and thoughts. (not the type that just gets added to fave character lists)
other than though I usually enjoy the psychological genre because it usually shows the progression of the character's state of mind as it falls apart.

For anime the Opening and ending soundtrack can help make the show better, after a great episode I like to watch the ending and just think about how awsome it was, or the opening gets you into the right mood for the anime, but if the opening/ending aren't good the just get skipped and no longer build up the anime.

wait... what lol?

Dec 8, 2016 9:30 PM

EcchiLordMamster said:
Extect said:
@EcchiLordMamster

wait... what lol?

Sorry I suck at writing and I'm too lazy to try re-explaiing my weird brain.... I could try to awnser a specific question though?

Dec 8, 2016 9:52 PM

@Shoryu
Even though you didn't answer my questions directly, I would say those four list have answered some of my questions in mind.

@RiceLover
well, I don't have any intention to make an instrument that people agreed with. Quality is pretty subjective anyway. It's My Anime Quality Rating Scale.

I have some problems in determining what elements and it's dimensions I should counted. So, I asked people's opinion in hoping it will give me some insight.

@Extect
I think you quoted the wrong person xD
You actually has a very good answer, a type of answer that I hoped.

Dec 8, 2016 9:55 PM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

ah crap i did...

srry

@EcchiLordMamster

Dec 8, 2016 10:50 PM
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
@15poundfish

The story doesn't stand out as interesting or memorable because the characters are standard archetypes that don't really move outside of them. JP doesn't have any unique character traits we haven't seen before and there is nothing about him that makes him standout as a memorable character. The story is not very believable and really is often an excuse to animate the crazy stuff that happens on screen. This can be a bad thing, but if you look at like a standard action blockbuster it delivers in spades in creating a thrilling roller coaster ride. The fluidity is amazing and the attention to detail is what you would see in 1980s anime ovas except without the huge sacrifice in fluidity. Its memorable and deserves high praise because its a visual masterpiece in the anime medium not because its a good action popcorn flick.

Dec 9, 2016 2:26 AM

15poundfish said:

The story doesn't stand out as interesting or memorable because the characters are standard archetypes that don't really move outside of them. JP doesn't have any unique character traits we haven't seen before and there is nothing about him that makes him standout as a memorable character. The story is not very believable and really is often an excuse to animate the crazy stuff that happens on screen. This can be a bad thing, but if you look at like a standard action blockbuster it delivers in spades in creating a thrilling roller coaster ride. The fluidity is amazing and the attention to detail is what you would see in 1980s anime ovas except without the huge sacrifice in fluidity. Its memorable and deserves high praise because its a visual masterpiece in the anime medium not because its a good action popcorn flick.

That's a very interesting view :).

So, the story doesn't stand out as interesting and memorable. And the characters aren't memorable because they have no unique traits.

Do you think "interesting" and "memorable" are important for story and character? and is it should be viewed as a result of objectivity or subjectivity?

The story doesn't believeable which can be bad but at the same time it creates thrilling roller coaster ride.
Which one do you think more important?, is it the "believeable part" or the result of it that creates "thrilling rc ride"?

Why do you think it has masterpiece level of visual? What makes it's visual that good and memorable beside fluidity and detail? Or is it that good because of those two?

Dec 9, 2016 2:48 AM

It depends a lot of which genre is the anime in particular. It's not the same speaking about story and plot in a Drama Fantasy anime or in a Comedy Slice-of-life anime.

Dec 9, 2016 2:56 AM

SuzuMine-chan said:
It depends a lot of which genre is the anime in particular. It's not the same speaking about story and plot in a Drama Fantasy anime or in a Comedy Slice-of-life anime.

yeah, sorry, it was my fault, didn't make my categorization based on genre.

But well, since you bring up drama fantasy and comedy slice of life anime, I would like to discuss about what important elements do you think that builds up those two genre? And more specific, what important elements do you think that builds up storytelling in those two genre?
Modified by Kurniawan_Ktr, Dec 9, 2016 3:11 AM

Dec 9, 2016 6:11 AM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

I think that the Comedy/Slice of Life genre is mostly based in if the comedy is more clever than another. What I'm saying is that, for example, is better to have comedy based on jokes and little actions than a girl exploding when hitting a boy (I'm not liying, it havens in Nichijou Episode 1), so, spontaneous-stupid actions. Also, one thing I think is very important is the plot in the Comedy Genre. Is very different a plot that, although having mostly comedy in, is deep or makes you think about it and its world, than a simple cliche plot like "High School, this girl likes me, I like her, let's form a couple".

And well, in the Drama I think a very big important element is that the drama made in the plot, isn't forced or evident, for example,

Dec 9, 2016 6:32 AM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

The elements I think that builds up storytelling in all anime are:

• Interesting Premise (or at least, story-telling): if the plot isn't interesting, well... we know that... Dropped forever
  • Story Details: things don't happen because of "well, I want and I can", they happen because they are important, if not now, later will be
  • Consistency in the actions made: if a character makes one thing that is out of character is a very big problem, for example, let's imagine that Light brutally rapes Misa (I don't dislike Light, is just an example)... We all now that Light wouldn't do that. Or another example, Yukiteru being baddass.
  • Everything is explained: no plot holes, no incoherences... And if it's not explained yet, let's make a sequel!
  • Moe Girl A is the same as Moe Girl B: characterization is good enough to distinguish Moe Girl A's personality than Moe Girl B's, and not just "Moe A is a shy girl, Moe B is a lot cheerful"
  • Characters fulfill their role: for example, if a character is meant to not be important, don't let him to have a lot more screentime than the main antagonist (Detective Conan, for example, doesn't do that well, why Detective Takagi, a simple police officer with no plot relevance, has appeared in more than 400 episodes when Gin, the main antagonist of the series, has appeared in less than 100?)
  • "No more cliche please": bath scenes, MC's parents are death, tsundere girl likes MC because he saved her during her problems, interrupted kisses, cheerful loli 'imouto', Deus ex Machina where "MC doesn't die because MCs don't die", etc...
  • Dialogues have sense: epic phrases, logical answers, don't repeat the same word (No more, "Britannia is evil", please), don't use an stupid sentence, if the character isn't stupid of course (if you go to a crime scene, and a problem starts, don't say "Why does it have to happen?" if a crime scene is not a save place)
  • Backstories: characters have a backstory that makes them what they are, one isn't evil because of "Whahaha, I want to destroy the Earth because I'm strong", is better to be like "All humans made my live to be the Hell, they will pay for this"
  • Structure: 'I'm in my room and suddenly I'm at a parallel world' is not a good idea, is better to have, although short, a transition (For example, in Re:Zero, less than 10 minutes of the first episode happen in the real world, we not came to explore what Subaru's family is because we didn't see more of a simple lonely store). An example of good structure is in Steins;Gate, when we see Okabe falling into the parallel world during the middle of the episode, not when it just started
  • Action when it has to happen: normally it's done well but, in an attempt of attract attention, action is a good way, but not always it has to happen (What will happen if, in the very first scene of Dragon Ball, Goku fights Bulma?), also, don't make it pointless or repetitive (In Toaru Majutsu no Index final episode, there is action but it's only Touma punching Sherry and "her golem" endless). A good action is, for example, in Fate/Zero, final battle between Kirei and Kiritsugu, the two think every move they make, thinking about their advantages and disadvantages.
    Very important is that if a show isn't about action, is pointless to search in it (don't expect Monogatari to have a lot, because it's about talking).

Other things (like animation and sound) are:

• Good use of the different views: if a character when is talking in frontal view looks pretty good but when talking during a view from below looks like if it was some kind of aberrant alien, is a very bad thing
  • Color palette: a use of intense colors in Death Note will for sure fail, the palette has to make a proper atmosphere. Also, don't mix supplementary colors, it will hurt our eyes, please
  • Scenography: a hill with a tree is a very tipical background, so it has to be more complex and more original
  • Character design: it's for me, the think with minor importance, but if we can't distinguish "Moe Anime A's style" with "Moe Anime B's style" there's a problem
  • Movements: moving an arm has to seem real, not just take a frame with the arm down, a frame with the arm between the middle, and a frame with the arm up
  • Soundtracks: all the music has to feel different from another the others, each song has to be special, using special instruments and use of a completely different rythm
  • The music suits: if in the screen, Yuno is killing someone, don't make use of the Teletubbie's opening, I mean, each scene's atmosphere is done by the animation and the song, if the song is a happy one and the palette is dark as f***, it doesn't make sense (although it is made in a creepy way... You know... those horror movies...)
  • Opening and Ending: although it is more subjective, I think it's important that the opening and ending have the same atmosphere as the show itself, and don't be typical, for example, if a opening is only used with a piano... there are plenty of animes that have a opening with a piano (REPEAT: THIS IS THE MOST SUBJECTIVE PART OF ALL I HAVE WRITTEN)
Modified by SuzuMine-chan, Dec 9, 2016 7:22 AM

Dec 9, 2016 7:28 AM

What elements do you think is important and why? And what makes it high quality in "your opinion".

I'll bite, I'm pretty bored rn haha.

Music - Good melody, or something distinct that stands out that brings out emotions when you hear it. Like one of those things you can pinpoint exactly what show or even scene it's from (Ex: Code geass, TTGL, evangelion, naruto, kabaneri, re:zero, etc. etc.). Memorable at least because the melody/tune was catchy/epic/memorable, etc. etc. something that invokes emotions, chills, or goosebumps even.

Execution of story
1) First off the story has to have a certain level logic/sense... but honestly doesn't really matter that much to me. It just has to find that good balance between substance and flare throughout the show. Too much nonsensical animation and digression from the overall plot or story of the show shouldn't be in excess.

2) It has to have a good distribution of appeal and intrigue throughout the show/series. At least a little bit in each episode to give me some sense of entertainment. It's not easy to do though... and actually the way you watch a show makes a huge difference to me (either watch it episodically as it comes out or in its entirety marathon style when it's completed). Fluid animations are always a bonus.

3) There's gotta be a certain level of maturity throughout the show.. I just can't stand the typical guy goes to highschool (omg highschool settings galore...) and blushes when girl looks his direction stuff anymore. I'm just too old and tired of that kinda innocence, I'm older now and its played out. I mean maturity in the sense where the sequence of events being presented is meaningful to the viewer, something that provokes compelling thought or shock/interest.

Popular examples off the top of my head would be something like:
-Shinji from EVA. A confused teenager. Twisted perverted, even hormonal desires, with major family issues and conflictions in his life with everyone around him, but the way it's presented makes you the viewer feel awkward. That's the beauty of it though, at least in my book. It makes me think and and still remember the show even several years later.
-Magi. All these characteres are young teens and act hella goofy all the time as they should their age, but the show itself is presented in a manner where mature themes are focused on like prosperity and governance of different nations.
-Psychopass, mostly themes about moral values between what is considered right or wrong.
-Subete ga F etc. (the perfect insider) I watched this one recently and highly recommend! Great show that's presented very maturely, and flew by under the radar (MC is 30, suspense/thriller/mystery is legit compelling and believable, makes you think what's happening is supernatural the entire time but it conclusively and logically explains at the end, very unique setting and storytelling, narrative even. Similar to silence of the lambs, but anyways I'm digressing here..)

(Extra rant): When a show tries to be serious but is littered with fanservice or excessive waifu-ism and kiddy themes really lowers the quality bar in my book for a show. In contrast, fanservice done correctly (think classy scenarios here where it depicts the sexiness of a woman) gets somewhat high props from me when well inserted, that is just good implementation. If it's something like Keijo where you KNOW it's about fanservice, then I really don't mind at all though, nor do I think it detracts its potential as a quality show. I mean to each their own right?

Characters - Art design and uniqueness is what I care about. I don't really care about how whiny or wimpy a character is, it doesn't bother me really or I can't remember the last time where it deeply prevented me from watching the show... maybe Subaru from Re:zero was pretty bad for myself but even still I got over that very quickly. As long as the characters created are compelling to the story being presented in some way, and have some level of sensibility & maturity. I'm more interested in the actual events of the show and the way it presents its story rather than characters tbh... but a good character is just a bonus for me (Example would be like Naru from Barakamon, SO CUTE, and that VA did a phenomenal job in that show selling that cuteness to the audience.

TLDR: Music, Execution of story, Characters.

P.S. DAMN I SPENT WAY MORE TIME THAN I WANTED TO ON THIS LUL

Dec 9, 2016 7:59 AM

@SuzuMine-chan
well, for your first post.
As you said, shows like nichijou use a spontaneous humor. One of it's scene is the scene you mentioned. I think it's nichijou humor style.

Those are pretty clear explanations :D. By the way, how about the ending? Since you didn't mentioned it. Do you find conclusion is not really important?

Dec 9, 2016 8:10 AM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

I think an ending has to answer everything the series has questioned, and also has to be cutting, that feels like there's no more to do with, but left you with a need of continue. The atmosphere has to feel like if it was the most important part of all the show, like if you skip it, you will lose everything.

And for Nichijou, well... Is right that it's its humor style, but when I said that, I mean that spontaneous things that have no sense are the problem. There's also the possibility that it's just that I don't like this kind of humor I supose... ^^'
Modified by SuzuMine-chan, Dec 9, 2016 8:23 AM

Dec 9, 2016 8:28 AM

@anonypc
lol. . . Sorry for taking your time for this lul. . .

By the way, I need to clarifying this. You said uniqueness is important in character. Did you mean it's design? Or personality?

@SuzuMine-chan
Some insiht for story's conclusion
haha I see xD
well, comedy is very subjective anyway

Dec 9, 2016 8:33 AM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

Totally XD it's the most difficult genre to rate objectively, because everyone has their personal humor

And I'm just curious, what do you think is the most important element in an anime and why? I'll be glad to hear :)

Dec 9, 2016 10:44 AM

@SuzuMine-chan
Well, I was asked because I don't know xD

haha....
Well, in my opinion we can see rating from two different views
-objective view which is related to anime quality (though in judgement still subjective), and
-subjective view which is related to our feeling towards the anime

A. Objective View
I have devided this view into four factors which are Animation, Artwork, Sounds/musics, and Storytelling.
1. Animation
To be honest, this is my biggest weakness, since I almost have no knowledge about this stuff. But there are two elements which I think important in this factor, which are camera-related and visuals.
a. Camera-related
camera angle, is it repetitive or not? and is it fits the scene? or only for fanservice?
Repetitive camera angle can be bothering sometimes. Using variety camera angle also makes visuals looks more interesting.

b. Visuals
First, Effect, is the background character and nature feels alive?
Second, Movement or frame per second, is it like a slide shadow or is it smooth?
I think this is important to makes an anime feels alive
Third, brightness - brightness really influenced the mood, so it's very important to make it suitable for it's theme. for example, psychological or drama shows need to use more dark color.

2. Artwork
There are two elements that I see here, which are character design and background artwork.
a. Character design
First, is it unique or not?
Second, is it suitable with anime purpose or not?
Slice of life comedy shows should have a simplistic character design to give relaxing vibe. While serious psychological or action shows should have a realistic and detail character design to gives thrilling vibe.
b. Background artwork
First, is it detail or not?
Second, is it matches with the story or not?
Basically, same as character design.

3. Sounds/musics
There are three elements here, which are Voice Actors, OST, and background music
a. Voice Actors
Do the voices of VA matches with character's lips?
b. OST
Do OST represent the anime well?
c. Background music
Do bg music fits the scene? This is important to give feels :D

4. Storytelling
There are three elements that I see here, which are character, plot/story/conflict (one pack)
a. Characters
Do characters have a well-explained background?
Do characters realistic or have emotions?
Do characters act in believable way?
These are important to make them relatable
b. Plot/story/conflict
Do plot/story/conflict interesting?
Do conflicts realistically occur and ended?
Do story matching with the anime purpose? Psychological anime should explored inner side of characters and complex. While comedy doesn't necessary.

B. Subjective View
Is it generic show with average character and average story?
Do it have a mature looked character design? If yes, then it's a plus
Do it gives me an emotional impact after watching it? If it's an emotional impact that I considered as good then a plus, but if it's negative then it's a minus
Do its have a love triangle or harem? If yes, then it's minus. If it's annoying the double minus
Are the characters in it likeable?
Do I like it's theme?
Do I like it's massage?
Do I can relate to it?
Do I enjoy watching it?
Do VAs annoying with their high pitched voice?
Do it has annoying tsundere?

Well, I don't know how to explain my thoughts.. specially in English xD
So I just made them into a "question" form
Btw, Those are the elements that I think important for me before making this thread....
This is for "normal" anime, exception for comedy, animated music, short ona etc.
I think I will change some of these...
Modified by Kurniawan_Ktr, Dec 9, 2016 4:59 PM

Dec 9, 2016 10:46 AM

A quality anime is undoubtedly an anime with a well developed story, I think that alone satisfies me.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 9, 2016 11:17 AM

Echdout said:
A quality anime is undoubtedly an anime with a well developed story, I think that alone satisfies me.

well, but what's the criteria that story need to passed to be categorized as well-developed. . .?
Modified by Kurniawan_Ktr, Dec 9, 2016 5:00 PM

Dec 9, 2016 11:52 AM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

Wow, that's a pretty good way to rate shows too ^^ I also believe it's possible to give differents ratings depending if its objective or subjective.

For example, I think it's pretty obvious that entertainment is purely subjective

P.D.: I also agree tsunderes can be very annoying...
P.D.2.: Have you found any animes where the lips don't match the VAs or anything? I haven't found any yet

Dec 9, 2016 12:14 PM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

Well my own subjective criteries will be:

• Is it generic or not?
  • Does it has dramatic moments?
  • Does it also has funny moments?
  • Is the plot interesting for me?
  • Do I like the MC?
  • Is the MC special, speaking about personality?
  • Does the show has a cold smart girl? (It affects me a lot)
  • Does the show have an interesting realistic interesting romance? (Includes my fangirl's shipping thoughts)
  • Does the show has a possible apocalyptic end? (For example, if a show can end into a terrible war I love it a lot, I'm evil)
  • Does it have suffering?
  • Does it have mind-raping moments? (That kind of the End of Evangelion or the Madoka Rebellion)
  • Does it squeeze all its possibilities? (For example, in Angel Beats! we could see a god, I haven't seen a god!!)
  • Is the MC female? (For me it's perfect to do so, since the MCs are very usually male)
  • Does it has equal number of males and females? (Well, my favourite anime has more girls, but that isn't important!)
  • Are there any moe girls? (For me, it's better if don't)
  • Does it give me any message?
  • Can I do something during the watching? (If for example, I'm in the phone when I'm watching and don't find necessary to go back)
  • Has it a Yukki-Yuno a forced pairing I don't like?

Dec 9, 2016 2:45 PM

@Kurniawan_Ktr hmm I'd say character design wise, as long as the characters all look different from eachother. Like if you removed the hair & ancessories of the characters and switch them around eachother and they all looked exactly the same because of the art style, I find that really poor. Unique enough in character design that they all have their own significant features facially.

In terms of personality that is Always a plus when done right, but it's so hard to do nowadays since well, what hasn't been done already by now lol. So this part isn't as important in my book, actually I feel like this is involves skill with the voice actors for the most part (amateur vs professional I guess). But personally this doesn't nearly have an impact on me as much as the character designs do.

Dec 9, 2016 4:15 PM

@SuzuMine-chan
Yeah, even though judgement is entirely subjective, there's something called "objective" view. Why I think this approaches is good for rates an anime objectively, because we judge it by it's part and not as a whole. By this way our judgement more accurate in my opinion.

Same as in psychology, the psychologist gives a questionnaire or scale in order to know their patients psychological state (i.e Anxiety Qestionnaire). That questionnaire asked the patient about their physical, emotional and behavioral state (which contains elements of anxiety) in a given situation in order to know the patients anxiety. The psychologist doesn't asked how anxiety their patient are. Since emotional state and rating are a vague and a "latent variable", it needs to be break into it's part to make it easier to judge. Well, that's entirely an opinion though.

If we judge it as a whole, we most likely will avoiding it's minus part (flaws) if the positive part of it significant greater, or avoiding it's positive part if the negative part of it significant lower.

Yeah, entertaintment is purely subjective.

P.D : lol. . .
P.D 2 : yeah, I have found some anime like that. Althought I can't remember their titles xD. There are also some scenes in anime that the background character make a sound but their lips do not move.

Lol, I see. Seems like you dislike Yukki Yuno a lot huh xD.

@anonypc
Yeah I also find it poor if the character looks the same. From personality, when do you think characters personality done right? What do you think about dere dere types? Are them can be done right?

For me personally, I find the anime has low quality in characterization if the author highly relied on dere dere types. Since it makes the character doesn't feel real. Well, it's just my opinion.

Dec 9, 2016 5:16 PM

Kurniawan_Ktr said:

@anonypc
Yeah I also find it poor if the character looks the same. From personality, when do you think characters personality done right? What do you think about dere dere types? Are them can be done right?

For me personally, I find the anime has low quality in characterization if the author highly relied on dere dere types. Since it makes the character doesn't feel real. Well, it's just my opinion.

[Random comment] It's funny because as I'm reading this I'm watching some random clips of nichijou on youtube and I just noticed that all of these characters have exactly the same face models... but it doesn't really bother me in the least in this instance, simply because of the focus on the show is really its superb quality in animations... It's weird because I personally gave this show a low score 6, but there really is no shortage of really superb animation and quality being presented here which I can appreciate. It's just not my personal taste of what I consider an amazing show by my own personal standards.

"From personality, when do you think characters personality done right? What do you think about dere dere types? Are them can be done right?"

Hmm so off the top of my head I'm gona list some examples because tbh I'm familiar with the "dere" terms but I don't exactly really know what each entails nor the differences, I briefly looked them up via google but I'm not really too focusing on the stereotypes, I think it's just easier for me to list some that I think are really done well, and even some that are done really poorly I guess.

Good examples:

So like kofuku from noragami: she's like the ditsy goddess of calamity right? all cutesy and somewhat like a "blondie" attitude, but still has some great qualities that stand out and she's not excessively ditzy where she's just dumb as a rock and is annoying, she's portrayed really well. Moderation in a lot of areas is always key for me I guess.

or like Borsalino (the light admiral from one piece), dude this character is done SO well imo. I just imagine him saying "ohhhh bikirushiii naee." I don't even know If i'm saying that correctly in japanese (LOL) but he has that like trollish attitude where he doesn't really give a fuck. He's super distinct but he's still presented in a really badass fashion because the emphasis is on how crazy strong he is because of his ability and rank. He's a really well done character imo. I guess all in all uniqueness in personality is a really big bonus if it stands out.

Poor characters:

Taiga from Toradora (The main small chick). I wouldn't say she's extremely terrible or anything like that but it's just not appealing like to me. know the story is focused on her change in attitude throughout the show from bratty to less bratty via love, but it's just poorly executed in my book, even from the get-go she's too over the top with her bratty attitude. I can't even remember if there was any significant reasoning behind it told in the story because it's been a good amount of time since I last watched it, but it just goes to show that the character (And story) for that matter wasn't memorable for myself even though I do think it has some good quality art/animation and decent pacing overall.

Beetlejuice from Re:zero: This is seriously, as generic of villain as you can get. He's presented so poorly... he's just insane, BECAUSE he is a villain. There's no qualifications to it simply other than fitting the "role" or simply for being "bad."

In contrast to Beetlejuice, look at a villain like Makishima, the main antagonist from 1st season psychopass. This is perfect villain that is unique. He's SO WELL done. You can tell this guy is a true psychopath but it's not the maniacally insane dude who's just the bad guy. He actually has some deep motives with some eccentric tendencies and extreme outlooks on society which MAKES him insane by societies' standards (in the anime), but it's presented in a mature fashion. Not like, Oh he hurts good people so he must be the bad guy. More like this guy views society as a whole as the enemy and the apathetic attitude and secrets of the world is really what's crippling the world in his eyes, and he finds passion in getting away with murder because he can objectify his acts through his strong beliefs and proves this on numerous occasions throughout the show through that crazy gun the police use.

=D
Modified by anonypc, Dec 9, 2016 11:14 PM

Dec 9, 2016 10:59 PM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

Well, Yukki & Yuno aren't my most hated characters in all history but they being a couple is like...: "Cute, a boyfriend who doesn't do anything but cry and whinny and a girlfriend who is whilling to kill everyone in the world the sake of his boyfriend's saftey, when he doesn't do anything to deserve this". Although exactly I have a theory that Yuno doesn't love Yukki, but that's another topic

I didn't know that psychologists do that, that's pretty interesting :)

And yeah, when rating the better thing is go for parts, the smallest is better, because it will be very easy to not be wrong if you follow such guidelines (you know, animation, what implies the story... Everything we were talking about), although that this guidelines may be subjective depending on what the guy that has done it thinks is more important and what less.

For example, for me the most important thing is the story, without a good plot, everything gors wrong. So, when doing a rating a value it the most around every rating.

Exactly, when rating I do this:
-Story: 35%
-Characters: 30%
-Animation: 15%
-Sound: 15%
-Adaptation (is important if a show is not original!!): 5%
-Entertainment and Subjective: I give it a plus/minus of 0,5 or 1 depending if I liked/loved or disliked/hated it

P.D.2: Well, when you found it, give me the name please, I want to listen such bad VAs xD
Modified by SuzuMine-chan, Dec 9, 2016 11:04 PM

Dec 9, 2016 11:09 PM

@anonypc

It's Makishima xD (sorry for correcting) and I also think Petelgeuse is a generic villain, he is crazy and "pure evil", I have seen villains like this tones of times so...

Taiga is also pretty annoying, tsunderes are annoying after all...

Dec 9, 2016 11:11 PM

SuzuMine-chan said:
@anonypc

It's Makishima xD (sorry for correcting) and I also think Petelgeuse is a generic villain, he is crazy and "pure evil", I have seen villains like this tones of times so...

Taiga is also pretty annoying, tsunderes are annoying after all...

Haha thanks for the correction, yeah Makishima is what I meant, glad u see things that way too!

Dec 10, 2016 12:05 AM

@anonypc

Yeah, it's because I don't even understand why this two are so popular :/ Makishima is a lot better and don't recieve this attention...

Dec 10, 2016 12:08 AM

I don't believe in such a breakdown because this isn't how art works.

What's common to all art is that it's a product of human thought, of human's subjective experience. That's how I review anime. I ask myself, what does it say about the world? What ideas it contains? I don't so much ask myself whether it's 'good' or 'not'. I want to know what it means first.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

Dec 10, 2016 4:32 AM

@anonypc
Most of CGDCT slice of life comedy are like that. The characters in them are basically the same, and only the hair and accessories that make them different one another.

So, uniqueness that can make them stand outs and background story that can explain their actions and motives. I also consider character that has no rationale behind their actions as poorly written. This is basically why I consider dere-dere types as a poor characterization. Most of the time they are yandere, tsundere or other dere because the author make it so without any detail explanation (look at Taiga and Yuno).

By the way, this is a good chance for me to ask :D. What do you see in comedy anime such as Nichijou? Most of shows like that doesn't have a well written character or realistic. Most of them are dumb that can be "funny". Do you think characterization needn't in comedy?

For me personally, it's 50:50. Because there are shows like Bimbougami ga which is a comedy yet have a well written characters. The characters in it has their background story explained. But considering Bimbougami ga is not a CGDCT show while Nichijou is a CGDCT, they may different even though they have the same main genre.

@SuzuMine-chan
Yeah they do, though It's not as simple as I wrote here xD

Yeah, that's exactly what I am thinking. That's very interesting. Giving them weight based on how important those factors. For me, I don't give it a weight like that. I threat all factors the same because there are anime that only good in some factors, and it would be unfair to gives each factors a weight. But, yeah, it's depends on how people view the medium.

P.D 2: xD ..... sure, if I can find it. To be honest I am not sure if it was dub or japanese VA. But I think it was japanese VA.

Btw, I also want to hear your opinion about elements in comedy anime such as Nichijou? Most of shows like that doesn't have a well written character or realistic. Most of them are dumb that can be "funny". Do you think characterization needn't in comedy?

@TheBrainintheJar
I also see art as a a product of human creativity. I also see the meaning (or massage) behind them is the most important thing. I actually enjoy searching for symbols meaning in any medium, not only in anime, but also in books, song, music, poetry, painting and so on. Searching for it's meaning is like playing a puzzle to me and I won't stop until I got something that could answer my question even if it's artificial. But even if like that, I also see everything (including art) consists of the small parts. And yeah, they are related one another and conveys a massage all together but it's another story. I think, judging how it is and judging how it works are twoo different things.
Modified by Kurniawan_Ktr, Dec 10, 2016 9:18 AM

Dec 10, 2016 8:38 AM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

It's a very complex question to answer but I'll try xD

I think characterization depends on what kind of humor pretends the show to give us. If it's a dumb comedy show, I think characterization is NOT needed at all as long as the characters seem and feel different. Nichijou, at least, this is done well, the girl with glasses (I don't remember the name xD) is a lot different than the robot girl.

But, for example, OreImo, which is not a dumb comedy show, has to have a good characterization, I mean, it's not right if Kirino suddently becomes a Yandere Girl and kills her brother just because she want. Kirino is not that kind of girl (I think... I haven't watched OreImo but I watched some random clips in YouTube that indicates she is not a crazy girl).

And for elements that every comedy should follow:

• A clear sense of humor: don't mix dumb things with clever jokes, it's just... confusing... And not funny
  • Original: "high school, I love this boy, let's raise her skirt, you baka!, hahaha so you comment such stupid thing, and when he declared his love to the council president during the ceremony...", things like that aren't good. A comedy anime has to be, more than any genre, ORIGINAL, we don't want to have the EXACT same jokes in all the shows, we want different jokes, if all jokes are the same, this won't be funny at all
  • Interesting main characters: it's here when the use of a moe character is a good thing, or at least, an extreme character (what I mean: a extremely serious character, extremely shy, extremely cheerful...) But also, don't make it the same as the other MCs, it will be as boring as the latter
  • A plot: that's were almost every comedy series of all kinds (movies, cartoons, series, and of course, anime) fail. To have a plot. And if it hasn't a plot, it's because the humor style of the series is that there is no plot so everything can be possible. BUt, if it's a "serious" comedy anime but has no plot (or at least premise)... It's wrong
  • Don't use of offensive jokes: things like a penis appearing in the screen and leaving semen are very disgusting if you don't like hentai, right? Well, if you don't like racism, don't make racist jokes. Racism is not a thing to make jokes at. It's what I mean, to not make jokes in delicate topics where people can be easily offended. (Also, don't make the first thing I said about the penis, please, it will be very weird >_<)
  • Every character seems different: I said that before, so I'm not gonna repeat it
  • Everything that has to be with animation and sound: remember what I said earlier with the sound and animation in the other comment? Well, obviously, this two things has to be the same at every show so...

And that's all, I think. I supose there should be more things that value comedy anime but, I can't think of anymore...

P.D.2: It's possible that it was a dub, dubs sometimes are horrible...

Dec 10, 2016 8:44 AM

@Kurniawan_Ktr

So, based in my ideas, finally I can say Nichijou isn't a bad anime at all. It has a clear sense of humor and makes a good use of it (although I don't like it).

(I know you didn't asked me about it, but I just was reflecting about it.)
Modified by SuzuMine-chan, Dec 10, 2016 10:57 AM

Dec 10, 2016 11:08 AM

@SuzuMine-chan
xD ... hehe, sorry if this is such a hard topic...
To make it easier.. Let's discuss for only characterization part for now
It will make it more easier, no? :)

Come back to the topic:

I think I see where you are at. From your statement, CGDCT shows should be threat differently from normal comedy because it reliance on characters purity to creates jokes. So, it needn't a characterization similar to normal shows, but still, the characters should have their uniqueness from their personality that made them different one another and they should be drawn differently.

By the way, is it really need to eliminate all of others characterization part?

In the term of characterization, there are some important things that related to it that I could collected from the answers in this thread (beside characters uniqueness and design).

• The characters interact and react in "believable" performance
  • Consistency behind characters actions
  • Characters fullfill their role (I think, it's safe to assume that in CGDCT the focus of story usually is the main characters)
  • Backstory and thought

From this four points, should all of them eliminated?
In my opinion,
As you said, there are some different personality for CGDCT main characters (extremely shy, extremely cheerfull and so on). I think characters reaction and personality should be interconnected. With this, the characters should be consistent with their actions and make them "believable. For backstroy, I think this is where CGDCT's characterizations are lacking, and it may unfair for them to counted this element in. Well, they are focuses on comedy than storytelling. In the other hand, characters' thoughts is something very important and plays a crucial role in CGDCT, because it can explain the characters personality and sometimes used as a medium for it jokes.

What's your thoughts?

P.D.2= hm... yeah, it maybe. But dunno, since I have a feeeling that it was japanese VA. It was an old school anime if I am not wrong... I will tell you if I remember it xD.

Edit:
About Nichijou xD ... I actually also don't find it funny. Honestly, I couldn't connect to it.
Modified by Kurniawan_Ktr, Dec 10, 2016 11:19 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »