Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 17, 2020 7:56 AM

Aug 2018
If MAL didn't exist then I would be wasting my time on anime subreddits
Apr 17, 2020 8:00 AM

Feb 2018
I think the biggest thing that would be different is the forums and clubs since I didn't find or watch the anime that made me a casual (FMA 2003 and Brotherhood) or that made me a degenerate (Madoka Magica) because of MAL, but it has helped me find more stuff and get more into the community (probably would've used Reddit or something else instead). Considering that Anime-Planet was made 3 years before MAL, I probably would've used that instead to find anime (not sure that Anilist would exist without MAL, and Kitsu's a no go). I used to use a Google Doc to keep track of the progress of the shows I watch, and I have used IMDB forever, so that probably wouldn't change too much (I might've also used Anime-Planet for that but idk).
Apr 17, 2020 9:05 AM

Jan 2010
Well, I believe I'll find my way to this hell one way or another, MAL exist or not. I mean, I already watched stuff like FMA:B, Death Note, etc before I discovered MAL.
But, yeah I think it has big impact on growing the community.
Apr 17, 2020 9:11 AM

Dec 2018
Yes, by the time I joined MAL I had been regularly watching anime for a few years. All I use MAL for is to list what I’ve seen and waste time on the forums. I’d be just as much of an anime fan with or without MAL.
Apr 17, 2020 10:17 AM

Nov 2011
Back in 2007/2008 I originally discovered anime through Wikipedia, so I would be aware of its existence anyway, but I likely wouldn’t have watched nearly as much without MAL. MAL was the most appealing website I found back then, and it made searching for new shows easy. I had a different account back then that I lost the login info for; never posted on the forums with it iirc.

Believe it or not, MAL was actually fairly different back then. There was still crap, but it was different crap, and on a different scale. The Big Three and Haruhi were the it shows in the community at the time, and iirc that was when MellowJello was super popular around here.

I kinda miss those days.
Apr 17, 2020 10:39 AM

May 2009
> Would you be into anime as much as you are now?

Yes.

First, other sites like MAL exist.

Second, even if they didn't, I'd still gradually accumulate recs from friends and check those out.

I might not have watched the same set of shows though.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 17, 2020 10:42 AM
Aug 2017
Yes. My anime list was never and will never be important to why I like anime
Apr 17, 2020 10:58 AM

Jan 2019
Yeah, probably. I started watching in 2015 and only started using MAL last year. Plus, r/anime exists! But, there's no denying how insanely useful MAL is for exploring and finding new anime to watch. So, I'm grateful for MAL's existence.

alsoo...did anyone else notice that this thread was necroed from like 2016 lmao

animeanimeanime

Apr 17, 2020 11:23 AM

May 2018
i suppose if any anime database didn't exist i literally wouldn't be as much into the medium at all. I would have never gotten more into directors, animators and composers too. I think a lot of manga would be lost to me as well. Fuck... I don't wanna think about it lol

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Apr 17, 2020 11:27 AM

Sep 2018
You know, probably not. I would definitely still be into anime, but MAL makes it really easy for me to find things to watch. It also gives me more motivation to finish them, so I can discuss them too.
Apr 17, 2020 11:33 AM
Shattered Angel

Mar 2015
I probably wouldn't because I wouldn't be as organized about the things I've seen lol
Apr 17, 2020 12:17 PM

Oct 2018
OneNaughtyBear said:
Would you be into anime as much as you are now?

MAL is such a great tool. If it didn't exist I think anime would have just been a short phase in my life because of the possible difficulties of finding what I want to watch. I'm not going to bother listing what makes MAL a beneficial tool, but I don't think I would bother without it.

Before finding MAL, I would half watch countless anime and forget to come back to them. This site helps me keep track of where I left off on a show. So I definitely would not have nearly as completed anime as I do now.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 17, 2020 12:33 PM
The Flash

Aug 2015
That’s a good question....MAL helped me a lot when I was first getting into anime as I was just watching stuff without the tool of completing it on any sites so in conversations I could never remember what I had watched but then I discovered Mal and it made everything so much easier, I honestly don’t know if I would know about so much anime if it wasn’t for this site. I’m always on here looking for new things to discover!...and maybe thanks to this site is why I am so addicted haha
Apr 17, 2020 2:01 PM

Dec 2019
I was watching anime before finding out MAL, but i found out so many anime that i had no idea and i keep finding so im grateful for MAL.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 17, 2020 2:05 PM

Jun 2014
I've been watching anime since 1992, but before I joined MAL, I didn't watch anime anywhere near as often as I do now, not to mention my "anime hiatus," which lasted from around 2004 until 2010.

MAL makes me want to watch anime more, as my list feels like an RPG, and I'm gaining levels as my list gets bigger, lol.

Apr 17, 2020 2:09 PM

Jan 2018
I began watching anime a couple years before making an account on MAL, but I will say that it got me much more invested into the medium as a whole. Recommendations from folks I've met on here and discussions about the series I've watched/am watching has always kept my interest high, and at this point I even run a thriving Discord community that was originally formed with the friends I've met here. Nowadays I primarily use Discord for discussion and AniList for tracking (I simply prefer the format), but I gotta credit MAL for elevating my love for anime and manga from a minor pastime to a full-on hobby. ^_^

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 17, 2020 2:11 PM

May 2016
Pretty much, before I joined MAL I had 4 fully written out papers of which shows I'd watched.
Apr 17, 2020 2:14 PM

Mar 2018
MAL is there to entertain me through postings of mongrels on forums so no MAL does not affect my watching's.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Apr 17, 2020 3:30 PM

Oct 2008
Who knows, I certainly don't. But if I didn't use MAL, I think I would still list my anime on my computer, instead of MAL.

I would probably still be as anime crazy. After all I find anime and watch it. Then I list the anime on MAL. Finally I visit E hentai, have my fun and move on.
Without a MAL, I would simply skip that part of my anime watching ritual.
Apr 17, 2020 4:18 PM

Dec 2018
If MAL didn’t exist, anime wouldn’t exist. It would be impossible to watch or read anything because no one would know how much they’ve read or watched. Anything that isn’t recorded on MAL doesn’t exist and didn’t happen. MAL is God. Become as God’s with us.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
2 minutes ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

177 by Ari4 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

148 by Ten »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

19 by Lucifrost »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.