Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 9, 2016 6:47 AM
Dec 2008
Shuuichi is indeed too high at least for the anime given his few interactions with Kumiko and most of those scenes is her being angry with him for whatever reason because Kyoani hates him I mean it would be too shoujo apparently, and not because it would ruin their yuri-baiting and they want a bigger audience.

niwasatou said:

If I got that right and you legitimately believe anime Kumiko cares that much about Shoe, thanks for the laugh. Based on what KyoAni has shown us I can only consider it delusion.

If anything this episode tells us that Kumiko is constantly wearing a facade, it took time for the facade to melt and realize she missed her sister so much and she was sad that she moved out until the train ride to school. Shuichi's situation is oddly familiar with Mamiko's situation.
gnodabDec 9, 2016 6:52 AM
Dec 9, 2016 6:56 AM

Oct 2006
gnodab said:
Shuuichi is indeed too high at least for the anime given his few interactions with Kumiko and most of those scenes is her being angry with him for whatever reason because Kyoani hates him I mean it would be too shoujo apparently, and not because it would ruin their yuri-baiting and they want a bigger audience.

niwasatou said:

If I got that right and you legitimately believe anime Kumiko cares that much about Shoe, thanks for the laugh. Based on what KyoAni has shown us I can only consider it delusion.

If anything this episode tells us that Kumiko is constantly wearing a facade, it took time for the facade to melt and realize she missed her sister so much and she was sad that she moved out until the train ride to school. Shuichi's situation is oddly familiar with Mamiko's situation.

I don't see any facade. She's going through emotionally difficult situations one after another. Upperclassmen expecting her to solve a club problem, learning about Asuka's situation, learning what her sister was really going through growing up. She legitimately didn't know about the latter so there was nothing to masquerade and sometimes events take a little to hit you.
Dec 9, 2016 7:44 AM
Dec 2008
niwasatou said:

I don't see any facade. She's going through emotionally difficult situations one after another. Upperclassmen expecting her to solve a club problem, learning about Asuka's situation, learning what her sister was really going through growing up. She legitimately didn't know about the latter so there was nothing to masquerade and sometimes events take a little to hit you.

she's doing her indifferent blunt attitude. even reina comments on this during episode 1. she had this monotone voice when she spoke to her, and even said she won't miss her.
Dec 9, 2016 7:52 AM

Nov 2007
GenesisAria said:
At any rate, i'm glad that's solved. I love the feeling of closeness between friends in this show (and how it at times goes to the point of being quasi-yuri). I never hear of friends being so close and thoughtful like that around here. Everyone's so fleeting and superficial - nobody even seems to understand what bonds are.

I have been blessed with some of the best friends in my life in different stages of my life so I can understand what closeness means. But that's probably because I have been extremely lucky throughout my life.

GenesisAria said:
@shanimebib
I haven't really gone reading through all your long posts, just because it's not likely you've said anything i missed. However, i can tell that you show your care for it, and i respect your willingness to put wonderful analyses into writing with examples and so on. It's not every day that there's someone with genuine interest and the care to really get into it deeper, without just shrugging it off with a mere surface opinion :)

It doesn't take much for a good scientist to spot sincerity. Keep it up!

Ps: i'm pretty sure i know what your "??" is in the Kumiko pie ;) though i'm sure anyone who's been paying attention would figure it out pretty quick. If only this show became yuri. Are those %'s based on something specific, or just abstracted?

Thanks! I try to show my passion for the anime!

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 9, 2016 8:49 AM

Jan 2010
Damn, this show has one of the best character developments that I've seen in a while. I really love it. It's refreshing to see Kumiko crying and finally taking an initiative after a long time of simply trying not to get involved in what's happening. Makes you see how far she has come after all this time.

Will most likely change this soon. || PNCH || PPFC || Anime Familia || EHC
Dec 9, 2016 9:21 AM

Dec 2009
shanimebib said:
GenesisAria said:
At any rate, i'm glad that's solved. I love the feeling of closeness between friends in this show (and how it at times goes to the point of being quasi-yuri). I never hear of friends being so close and thoughtful like that around here. Everyone's so fleeting and superficial - nobody even seems to understand what bonds are.
I have been blessed with some of the best friends in my life in different stages of my life so I can understand what closeness means. But that's probably because I have been extremely lucky throughout my life.
I wish i could say the same, i don't get noticed much irl.

The anime community really needs more people like you, who actually have passion enough to delve deeper into the anime themselves. All the fleeting opinionated people just serve to demean akiba-kei.

At any rate, i'm still as surprised as ever at the fact i actually care about an anime about drama and school band... and that these girls seems so ordinary yet are so cute and their personalities lush. Goes to show, if you do something right, and people notice it, they will tend to convert. That's the kid of stuff that's really good to know as a writer. Do it right, do it thorough.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 9, 2016 9:37 AM

Jul 2015
This episode make me teary a bit. Absolutely best episode of Hibike Euphonium.
The first half is about Kumiko and her sister. The relationship of them is really strong, and the reconciliation of them is pretty cute. What Mamiko said hit me very hard, "Don't be left with any regrets". That words has a lot of meaning also a very sad to me.

Then, Kumiko is crying in the feelz train really make my heart shattered. She has been through hard this season ;__;.

Second part is Asuka-senpai arc, the closure of her arc I think. Kumiko talked with Asuka-senpai. This time, Kumiko finally collapsed with all of her emotions that she has been keeping along. That moment I see Kumiko like that is really heartbreaking. I mean how dare you make my Kumiko cry and let her emotions out like that ;_;.

In way home, she met Shuuichi. Yup, I agree with you @shanimebib about Shuuichi, he understands Kumiko better than anyone else.

5/5 for this episode
Dec 9, 2016 11:57 AM

Oct 2006
gnodab said:
niwasatou said:

she's doing her indifferent blunt attitude. even reina comments on this during episode 1. she had this monotone voice when she spoke to her, and even said she won't miss her.

Doesn't mean she's always doing it on purpose. Facade = intentional.
Dec 9, 2016 12:28 PM

Oct 2016
I wanted to hug poor Kumiko so badly when she started crying. Tomoyo Kurosawa did an amazing job in this episode.
CJAnimeFanDec 9, 2016 12:32 PM
English dubs can be just as good as the original Japanese.
Dec 9, 2016 2:06 PM

Feb 2008
Wow.

Kurosawa definitely did a fine job conveying all of Kumiko's conflicting emotions. Kumiko's confrontation with Asuka was absolutely enchanting. Despite Asuka striking her with such blows, Kumiko still managed to land the final emotional punch.

Still, no easy day for the lot. And even more of that to come...
Dec 9, 2016 6:16 PM
Jan 2012
niwasatou said:
shanimebib said:

[/center]

Since I already baked the Reina Pie, I thought I might as well bake the Kumiko Pie. :P

I think you are clever with that shoe. That shoe might reflect her emotions for Shoe-ichi as shown in a few episodes of series 1.
I sort of imagine that a story for Taki-sensei's past romance, Reina's emotions for Taki-sensei, and Shuichi's affair with Kumiko will be shown in the upcoming episodes (judging by the OP, a few scenes including that flower, and yet-to-be-read novel's synopsis).
GohanwaOkazuDec 9, 2016 6:24 PM
Dec 9, 2016 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
VersoSciolto said:
You sure? ...

I guess that's one way of seeing that! Very insightful indeed. I like how you can see the story completely differently than many of us and reason them honestly. Thank you. :)
Only one way. There are many others and -just to be clear again- I do not want to give the impression that I'm disregarding all but one.

There is a border between insightful and delusional but Kumiko encountered at least three ghosts -counting Reina in costume, the spectre of her sister's past, and Taki's deceased wife, during each of her damsel in distress moments which made up the rest of the episode. Given the prescience of Asuka's words I don't think it is wise to disregard the lines she is given. Asuka is portrayed as far too clever and cynical to let an opportunity for a little personal jibe go by when she has some time to prepare for her dodges.

Asuka is obviously aware that this "Are you finally going to confess your love for me?” is not why Kumiko has invited her out for another private conversation but since DM106's remark was about yuri baiting it seemed like a pretty good opportunity to ponder why the animators chose this line out of all the possible dodges at her disposal?

Why did they have a girl ask ask an other girl “Are you finally going to confess your love for me?” for her feeble attempt at deflection and distraction? Why did they have Asuka follow up with "of course not"?

Obviously she says "of course not" because Asuka knew before she asked that Kumiko would not fall for such a attempted dodge at all but what else are the writers trying to tell their audience with that "of course not"?

Are they perhaps sending us an additional message? Can we be certain that they aren't subtly informing their viewers that Kumiko could not possibly have fallen in love with Asuka?

A girl in love with an other girl? Of course not! That could not possibly have been the reason for this little get together among the trash cans and assorted cleaning materials. Why are they showing a broom sticking up? What are they dumping here? Is something being swept under the rug? Did I just veer too far from insight into delusion in my interpretation of the imagery they picked?

"Are you finally going to confess your love for me?”
“That isn’t it”
“Of course not”

I do think it is fair to ask why they chose to animate this particular line of thought out of all the available options for dialogue.

Can we really be certain this sequence isn't among the most cynical approaches to yuri baiting yet in the entire series? I'm not so sure.
removed-userDec 9, 2016 8:09 PM
Dec 10, 2016 1:26 AM

Nov 2007
VersoSciolto said:
"Are you finally going to confess your love for me?”
“That isn’t it”
“Of course not”

I do think it is fair to ask why they chose to animate this particular line of thought out of all the available options for dialogue.

Can we really be certain this sequence isn't among the most cynical approaches to yuri baiting yet in the entire series? I'm not so sure.

My way of representing it is a bit different. Asuka has created a sheltered personality that wouldn't want anyone to get involved with her life. Everything, every encounter she has made seemed a fleeting thing. Having a very distorted personality as she has, she doesn't believe there are those who have genuine intentions, or goodwill.

Let me start from explaining Asuka's darkened stature when Kaori tried to show she cares by tying the laces on Asuka's shoes. When I said the moment was one of the most powerful scenes I have seen in any anime, I really meant it. It served the purpose of two things. One, that we, the viewers, would be appreciating Kaori showing her affection and concern for Asuka (which is easy for us to see given how we have known Kaori to be an amazing and adoring senpai) and the other, we, the viewers, would be pondering what might have been going through Asuka's head. The logical conclusion is that Asuka is a person who thinks people can never have a genuine intention, just like her. She thought of Kaori as a nuisance. It's a paranoia she has developed from a younger age, growing up in a single parent family, shaping up her life within the strict nature of her upbringing.

It was also the same reason why she thought Natsuki wanting to relinquish her chance to play in the nationals in her stead was nothing but Natsuki's way of keeping a clean slate — something Asuka has been doing herself, distancing herself from all the controversies up until now (before she became a part of controversy herself).

Now coming back to the lines you've mentioned: look how different her question was here from the time she asked something similar but not exactly the same thing during the camp and during the school festival. In those instances, she asked her about discussing Kumiko's love troubles. Every time she did that, Kumiko knocked her down instantly with a reluctant response. But this time, she intentionally used the words of confessing to herself. Why would she do that? This actually served two purposes here as well. The first would be why Kumiko would be concerned about Asuka when they are not even close; at least that is what Asuka thinks. Her sneer remark that Kumiko must be feeling they are now close because they spent some time together and talked about personal issues, which got cut off by Kumiko midway, wouldn't just make them close automatically, and it would be wrong for Kumiko to think like that. The second is still the same, Asuka believing that there aren't people with genuine intentions, just like Kumiko, who was practically a bystander during Mizore and Nozomi's conflict. Asuka wanted to challenge Kumiko's resolve and she succeed by doing so but ultimately it came to hit her back when Kumiko took on her challenge. Kumiko's outburst bulldozed through the wall Asuka has set up to isolate her heart from others and from acknowledging that people with genuine intention do exist.

The real question then arises, why did Asuka invited Kumiko over if she didn't had any intention to get closer to Kumiko. Asuka has been observing Kumiko for a while. She observed Kumiko to the point that she knows she is troubled with love and she has major concerns when it comes to her breasts size. She noticed that Kumiko has the ability to judge people despite of maintaining a distance. Perhaps she wanted to vent her pent up frustrations to someone and she couldn't find a more favourable candidate than Kumiko. Or perhaps she really wanted to be saved by someone, and she thought of Kumiko to be the one. She tested Kumiko by inviting her over and revealing her story to her to see how far Kumiko would go for her sake. The part of her test involved how would Kumiko react after knowing her circumstances. And the conversation that followed was also a test of Kumiko's resolve to save her, which of course she passed in a way perhaps Asuka wouldn't believe she would. Of course, what Asuka didn't know that Kumiko already was at the point of acing any test after the emotional setback she had endured through everything that happened between herself and her precious sister.

The representation of Asuka's change of heart didn't end with just a shaky-voice and a teasing teary eyes as she patted Kumiko's head. We saw a new Asuka and a complete transformation of her personality when she blushed after Natsuki tells her that she has been waiting for Asuka to return (well, you can't help when an angel like Natsuki smiles like that in most cases). If it was the previous Asuka, she wouldn't have batted an eye and would have thought there was an agenda behind Natsuki's actions. But the new Asuka has turned over a new leaf and she has started seeing goodwill in people. Her blush was a follow-up out of her embarrassment of her previous distorted self.

I want to emphasize the importance of Mizore and Nozomi arc to the build up to the whole Mamiko and Asuka arcs. Great stories don't just manifest out of nothing. Sometimes what may seem obvious and mundane can push stories to greater heights.

More on great stories (Off Topic):

One of the least favourite arcs in Gintama (namely the Red Spider Arc) amongst even the hardcore of Gintama fans had a single line from Gintoki "You don't have the right to be called a master when you don't have the strength to shoulder a student and their pain." As I watched the famous SA Arc, I suddenly recalled that line from Gintoki at THE most important moment in the story and it hit me so hard that before I knew it my eyes became all blurry.

And then I have seen many reviewers bashing the Endless Eight of the Suzumiya Haruhi franchise yet heaping praise on Disappearance, but most of them failed to realize the fact that the Endless Eight that seemed so tedious bore the fruit of Disappearance in the end.

Another example would be Tamako Market. One of the few anime that made me fall asleep by the lackluster story of a genki girl and some strange elements to the story, but who would have thought that the lackluster part of the story then would go all the way to create the award-winning movie that TLS tuned out to be.

I don't dare mention ARIA, now do I? The anime that took me more than a year to complete its first season became by all time favourite my the end of the Origination.
shanimebibDec 10, 2016 1:32 AM
Coronavirus.
Dec 10, 2016 2:24 AM

Apr 2016
@shanimebib
It's funny you're speaking about Tamako Market because I just had the idea that Kyoani could keep a part of the story for an OVA or something, the same way they did for Tamako. Furthermore this "side of the story" was also particularly addressed in the OVA after season 1.

You're interpretation of the "dark scene" with Kaori and Asuka in episode 9 makes sense to me. At that time I didn't realize how cynically and negatively Asuka interprets others' behaviors. It became clear to me only with this episode. Good point.
Dec 10, 2016 6:02 AM

Apr 2011
I never thought Kumiko cry not once, but twice this episode. Quite an emotional episode.
Dec 10, 2016 11:11 AM

Apr 2013
cedec0 said:
I am not really a fan of Asuka...

I don't hate her, but I really don't like her either. My biggest problems are:

1) Asuka doesn't have a (in my opinion) a good personnallity personally. She refuses to be club captain, but she acts like club captain whenever its conveninent for her. She lies constantly and effortlessly about everything ("I am really fine with leaving the club", etc). This might be just me, but she seems to be mocking and looking down on others in a lot of her interactions with others.
2) Asuka stayed on the sidelines the previous year when the club tore itself apart. The anime treats this as good thing, but not me.
3) Asuka was against Nozomi coming back. This was mean, petty, and created a major problem that otherwise would not have existed. If Asuka had been successful in keeping Mizore and Nozomi, both would still be miserable and Nozomi's "spiritless" music would have hurt their chances at the national.
4) Asuka is apparently super genious: with only ONE month of serious studying she can place 30th on a NATIONAL mock exam. She makes those thousands of student who have studied full time for years look like complete idiots doesn't she? If Asuka was such a super genious, why did her mother want her to leave the club in the first place? I would have been ready to accept many reasons for Asuka coming back, but placing 30th on a nationally mock exam is pure bullshit.

The entire second season (10 episodes so far) have centered around problems created by Asuka: her resufal to allow Nozomi to return and then her potential exit from the club. Yes, she is good musician (and a super genious accademically), but, given her unlikeability and the needless problems she creates, I am sad to have her back (Natsuki is like a breath of fresh air in comparison).

So anyone else sad to have her back?

You're trying too hard to find stuff to nitpick, really. Who cares what she she got on the exam. If they changed the wording slightly to "She did well enough to shut her mom up" "she got the equivalent of an "A" "She got in the top 10%", it literally changes nothing here.

As far as causing problems go, Asuka didn't cause anything. They didn't need Asuka's approval for anything. Nozomi CHOSE of her own free will not to come back. Asuka never said she couldn't come back (and even if she did, that isn't her decision to make in the first place). She said she doesn't support her coming back, but at the end of the day, that is Nozomi's choice to make.

She was the one desperately seeking Asuka's approval, lol (which again, wasn't needed in any way shape or form for her to have returned to the club)
Dec 10, 2016 2:00 PM

Sep 2015
I'd kind of just accepted Asuka's departure from the previous episode but they kept the will they won't they tension going and in the end she's returned. I might feel like this story line has been a little too dragged out, if it hadn't had such resonant moments throughout it. I really liked her and Kumiko's confrontation this episode it bared a lot that has gone unsaid about both characters. Including Asuka's cracking omnipotent facade and Kumiko's withdrawn observer status throughout the series. I had some serious feels at the climax of their argument when Kumiko childishly but deliberately cries out SHE wants Asuka to play in the Nationals. Not too much else of note went down in this episode I think, besides a brief but more effective than usual exchange with Kumiko and her sister and the set up for some rising tensions between our romantic leads Kumiko and Reina. After spending the whole episode MIA, we get a lingering shot of Reina glaring at Kumiko and Asuka before the ED. That certainly doesn't bode well, I'm curious as to why she's mad and how the series will resolve it in the coming episodes.
Dec 10, 2016 7:48 PM

Jun 2015
Up next will be the finale of the season.

It's time to peak around Reina and Taki-sensei's life.

I'm sure this is gonna be a feels (T_T)

Just watching the glimpse of Taki-sensei's family at the Op already gave me a heartwarming feel. :D
Dec 10, 2016 10:18 PM

Oct 2012
Kumiko cried twice in one episode. Holy crap
It's amazing how much she's grown throughout the series, I never would have imagined that Kumiko, of all people would cry in public or show her real emotions like that. Not only was her speech impactful contextually but oh my God that animation and art was spectacular.

Looks like something's going on with Reina now.
gust11Dec 10, 2016 10:46 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Dec 10, 2016 10:45 PM

Dec 2012
I'm happy that Kumiko talked with her sister. Kumiko couldn't handle her feelings anymore and burst out of tears T-T. It was so sad to see Kumiko cry T-T.
It's a good thing that someone (especially Kumiko), explained to Asuka that she is not alone and special. The VA was very good and looked as if she was crying and talking at the same time. Really a good job!
Dec 10, 2016 11:54 PM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
@shanimebib
It's funny you're speaking about Tamako Market because I just had the idea that Kyoani could keep a part of the story for an OVA or something, the same way they did for Tamako. Furthermore this "side of the story" was also particularly addressed in the OVA after season 1.

Well, if it were to happen, I already said that personally I would want it to be a standalone episode (like an OVA) so that it doesn't change the overall dynamics of the story that much to those who watch this anime for superficial reasons. The hints have been there but strangely enough, fans wouldn't want to pick those up.

Coronavirus.
Dec 11, 2016 6:38 AM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:

True though that the bond with Reina is as strong as you describe, or so I thought. I wonder about it because of this last gaze in this episode. I saw a parallel between Kumiko and Asuka and there's maybe also a parallel between Mizore-Nozomi and Kumiko-Reina. Ki ni narimasu :)
Dec 11, 2016 1:20 PM
Apr 2014
amazing episode. especially the end.

I was surprised the VA for Kumiko could deliver that so well. Considering the character itself is very different from most of her other works. Maybe I was just surprised about the scene in general. Anyway it was well done.

I enjoyed this much more than most of the previous episodes even though it contained drama, too. Hope we can get away from the drama now that this is solved. Sadly I doubt it'll happen. Felt like Reina is mad at Kumiko for whatever reason >.> Might be the next source for problems
Dec 11, 2016 11:44 PM
Nov 2016
Heartwarming euphonium sound of asuka in early scene,kumiko cries, and emotional conversation with asuka are the best part of this episode that made my tears drop like waterfall. What!! a damn awesome work of kyoani
Dec 12, 2016 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
Self indulgent note moved here from the S2, E9 thread and expanded, before we move on to Episode 11.

...Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life
Blew wilder than the wind...

From Japan's "Ghosts".

When trying hard enough it is possible to make anything fit a preconceived notion, I suppose. While thinking about ghosts, these lines came to mind, and now they seem to refer to la Reina's moment with Taki-sensei. The more I look at the lyrics, the more eerily the whole track seems to match their situation.

Seeing things that aren't there, again? No way of knowing if someone else was doing a little retrofitting when constructing the scene. Plausible or delusional?

From YMO’s “Rydeen” it is a tiny step to Ryuichi Sakamoto and from there not a giant leap to David Sylvian via “Forbidden Colours” or to Mishima directly, from "Behind the Mask" to “Confessions of a Mask”. I started from “Ghosts”and this tenth episode but going in the opposite direction I ended up at Hibike! Euphonium (S1,E5) without much effort when trying to figure out if the animators might have any connection with that type of music or its literary inspirations. While the other words and concepts might be rather common -and thus the suggested associations tenuous by themselves- Rydeen is too unique and too solid a direct link to dismiss the other leaps as entirely implausible.
removed-userDec 12, 2016 1:17 AM
Dec 12, 2016 2:59 AM
Nov 2010
Wow. In the end when you hold it all in and be aloof when you're really not. I guess it all comes coming out. So surprised when Kumiko broke down in that train. But in the end she really adored her sister so I think that's the reason she realized she would miss her alot even when she denied it. Which then highly motivated her to talk to Asuka no matter what. When Asuka made her question her own reasons for persuading Asuka to rejoin was so effective in confusing her. Really brings out a dark side in Asuka. I'm glad Kumiko was able to pull Asuka back though. =) What was that look at the end with Reina though. Find it hard to believe it's something petty as jealousy so must be something else they'll reveal later.
Dec 12, 2016 5:20 AM

May 2010
Ah I forgot to say this (?) but I absolutely loved Kumiko's VA in this episode. Amazing. Everyone sounds great this anime but I esp love Reina and Kumiko's VAs.
TragicRomanceDec 12, 2016 5:23 AM
Dec 12, 2016 1:04 PM

Nov 2007
We will see Mini-Reina in the next episode! OMG! My heart!

Episode title is Hatsukoi Toranpetto (First Love Trumpet).
Coronavirus.
Dec 13, 2016 1:56 AM

Aug 2012
-Now that I think of it, Green Sapphire and Hazuki have not been relevant at all in this season
-Food prep scene shows some cultural differences between Japanese and Western cultures
-Despite how I did not like Mamiko's character from two episodes ago, the food prep scene was pretty nice, and Mamiko's pot cleaning was pretty characteristic of the discussion
-After thinking about it a bit, that scene was actually pretty beautifully done. It was characteristic of some of the best moments of the first season, and moments like that have been sorta lacking in the second season.
-Hoo damn, Asuka just tears into Kumiko there
-Props to Kumiko's VA during her rebuttal, because there was tons of emotion in the delivery of Kumiko's lines
-Seems like Asuka planned this outcome from the start by preparing for the mock exams to the point where she could invoke the results on her mom
-Somehow this episode strikes me as miles ahead of all of the previous S2 episodes, but I can't exactly pinpoint why

This episode was pretty surprising to me because of two scenes in particular and how prominent they were in the episode. What's more notable is that I didn't enjoy these scenes so much solely because of nostalgia factor. In previous episodes in season 2, the more memorable scenes were usually a minor component of the episode, but all of the relationship development and character development were central to the food prep scene and the one-on-one between Kumiko and Asuka.

I liked the food prep scene because of how they pretty seamlessly linked what the sisters were doing with what the sisters were saying. Mamiko first starts cleaning the pot by sponging away everything that wasn't hard-stuck on, and the things she says while doing this part of the cleaning were mostly accusatory towards Kumiko. These things were also on the surface level of Mamiko's personality and seemed mostly like things she just wanted to get off her mind. Mamiko doesn't really discuss the internal factors that influenced the way she acted until right before she uses the scouring pad to clean the hardened food residue. When she's finished talking about herself, she runs the water to flush everything out, and while the pot was clean in the end, it was noticeably scratched. I thought that this was a perfect symbol of Mamiko's character progression so far, which is why I loved that scene so much. I used to dislike Mamiko, but after this episode, my attitude her is much more neutral.

As for the one-on-one between Kumiko and Asuka, I think that's one of two or three scenes in any of the shows I've watched so far where I could actually notice the quality the voice acting. The flashbacks to previous episodes in the season probably helped make the scene more memorable, too, as well as the overall character development. The voice acting was still the best part of that scene, though.

Lovely episode, probably the best out of either season so far.

also it wasn't until i was in the middle of typing this up that i realized kumiko cried on the bus because she actually does miss her sister and that's pretty fuckin adorable
Dec 13, 2016 12:48 PM

Apr 2010
Another problem solved but it looks like a new problem is lurking around the corner Omai chan will remain busy for a while.
Well hopefully for her things will work out somehow.
Dec 14, 2016 3:03 AM

Jun 2013
Good episode, looks like Asuka is back, which should come to no surprise. And if i remember correcrly,reina saw the pic in sensei's desk last ep.
Dec 19, 2016 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
Top 30 nationwide out of like 1.5 million students. That's just too much.

Finally got her to join
Dec 23, 2016 5:11 AM

Aug 2013
Why do all anime characters overreacts over everything, jeez.
Dec 27, 2016 11:56 AM

Oct 2013
Lol why is Kumiko so mean to Shuuichi. She shrugged him off so so so hard this episode. Damn what a vicious savage. Reina may have found more about Taki-sensei. OH BOY.
Jan 2, 2017 6:33 PM

May 2010
It was quite a sweet episode, but I can't wait to see what's up with Reina! We got far too few scenes with her this season :< Hopefully the last episodes make up for it.
Jan 8, 2017 7:57 AM

Sep 2016
this was a good ass episode, shouts out to omae chan for showing her true feelings towards asuka and didnt give up,her character development is astounding love it and oh shit whats wrong with bae kousaka
Facta Non Verba
Jan 21, 2017 10:06 PM

Jan 2016
Asuka was actually pretty spot on about Kumiko always being an observer and watching things from a safe distance, so it was pretty exciting to see her break away from that when push came to shove.
Jan 24, 2017 6:07 PM

May 2012
Some more melodrama! Pretty lovely, let's see what happens next!
Jan 27, 2017 3:30 AM

Mar 2015
Glad Asuka's sorted out, but hmmm something's wrong with Reina?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 28, 2017 11:47 AM

Jul 2009
When the sisters are getting along, Mamiko will really leave.
I am glad Asuka is back, it would be a shame if she would leave when it's 3rd years last concert.
Feb 2, 2017 12:49 AM

Oct 2012
Aww, I like how Kumiko just burst like that
Honest talk is needed, because Asuka is way too smart-talker
Glad she's rejoining

Looks like it's Reina turn now
She definitely knows about Taki-sensei's wife
"Signature removed"
Apr 16, 2017 5:01 AM

Apr 2015
Didn't feel sis' speech, and thus the first half. Hard to watch

Ditto for the second half. Hmmm...
Apr 25, 2017 2:40 PM

Jun 2013
Oh Kumiko, it's okay to cry, but maybe you should be telling your sister that you miss her, not the people on the train... Well, I'm very happy for her and Mamiko.

shanimebib said:
Reina: I (it makes me) want to seize (or catch) you and peel that skin (fake i.e. mask) off.
Kumiko: Asuka-senpai, too?

[...]

Asuka peeled off Kumiko's mask in this episode.

That is so true! In a different way, compared to Reina, but still. Finally, she truly followed through her meddling, and it was awesome. I commend Kumiko for not letting Asuka break her spirit by coldly lashing out at her, though Asuka was technically correct (in asserting that Kumiko's afraid of confrontation, and never commits to her meddling, just with uglier words).

Kumiko basically made the case that pretending to be an adult does not make you one, so it makes more sense to embrace your childhood, live in the present, have no regrets, and all that good old cheesy stuff. I was totally sold, because I know that her conflict with her sister comes from a similar place, and all the ways Kumiko has improved over the course of the series.

Asuka totally gave Kumiko a head rub. Usually I don't like the "head pat" trope, but this time it was justified, because in addition to show affection and gratitude, Asuka did it to prevent Kumiko from seeing her "true form". The Euph Queen may be back, but she's still not ready for things like that.

LeeTailorApr 25, 2017 3:16 PM
Jul 13, 2017 1:51 PM

Jul 2010
I am sad for reina noone cares her
Nov 3, 2017 1:52 PM

Oct 2015
Finally Asuka is back after all that talk and speeches what a long ass ride.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 4, 2019 2:14 AM

Oct 2017
Lots of emotions in this episode. Kumiko cried a lot. And so did I.

She was sad for her sister because she really was leaving and she was gonna miss her. And she didn’t want Asuka to quit band either. She wanted to keep playing along side her and to for her play with them in the nationals. It really would suck for her not to be around. She brought so much personality to the band, ever since the first episode.
Jun 22, 2019 6:31 PM

Feb 2018
Woahh Asuka back xD.
Aug 4, 2019 11:40 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was quite the touching episode!

Kumiko, from not caring about people around her to becoming someone who’s willing to share her tears for those who’re dear to her, has come a long way this show, but immensely this episode alone too! Great stuff! Hats off to the VA for the entire series, but for this episode too in particular during the outburst of emotions scene - it just resounded and felt so real and genuine, stunning work!

Kumiko’s outburst over her sister’s leave was sad but that’s just a part of life, I suppose. I couldn’t help but get a little teary-eyed too, thanks to the flashbacks. Good thing her sister promised to see her perform in the Nationals and cleared up everything in front of her, got to thank Shouichi for this. And then over Asuka-senpai, yikes she was getting really cynical there but finally it broke down. Impressive how she managed to rank in the top 30 nationally though, she never had any intentions of quitting based on how she reacted to the mock exams and that’s great to see! Natsuki-senpai then willingly giving away her position, man she really is an angle isn’t she?

It’s time to delve into Taki-sensei and Reina’s past, I suppose. I’m a little surprised she didn’t know that he was married though, considering how their fathers are related, but I’ll just leave it up to the next episode for now.

One more sub-drama and then the Nationals, here we go!
_MushiRock11_Aug 5, 2019 3:11 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 26, 2019 10:20 AM

Apr 2013
Glad that the thing with Asuka has finally been sorted out. But now Reina is mad for some reason, gotta have something to do with Taki-sensei.
Jan 7, 2020 4:27 AM

Jan 2018
Kumiko best girl

The scene with Asuka and her crying in the train made me emotional ;-;
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.