Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 10, 2016 11:54 PM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
@shanimebib
It's funny you're speaking about Tamako Market because I just had the idea that Kyoani could keep a part of the story for an OVA or something, the same way they did for Tamako. Furthermore this "side of the story" was also particularly addressed in the OVA after season 1.

Well, if it were to happen, I already said that personally I would want it to be a standalone episode (like an OVA) so that it doesn't change the overall dynamics of the story that much to those who watch this anime for superficial reasons. The hints have been there but strangely enough, fans wouldn't want to pick those up.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 11, 2016 6:38 AM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:

True though that the bond with Reina is as strong as you describe, or so I thought. I wonder about it because of this last gaze in this episode. I saw a parallel between Kumiko and Asuka and there's maybe also a parallel between Mizore-Nozomi and Kumiko-Reina. Ki ni narimasu :)
Dec 11, 2016 1:20 PM
Apr 2014
amazing episode. especially the end.

I was surprised the VA for Kumiko could deliver that so well. Considering the character itself is very different from most of her other works. Maybe I was just surprised about the scene in general. Anyway it was well done.

I enjoyed this much more than most of the previous episodes even though it contained drama, too. Hope we can get away from the drama now that this is solved. Sadly I doubt it'll happen. Felt like Reina is mad at Kumiko for whatever reason >.> Might be the next source for problems
Dec 11, 2016 11:44 PM
Nov 2016
Heartwarming euphonium sound of asuka in early scene,kumiko cries, and emotional conversation with asuka are the best part of this episode that made my tears drop like waterfall. What!! a damn awesome work of kyoani
Dec 12, 2016 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
Self indulgent note moved here from the S2, E9 thread and expanded, before we move on to Episode 11.

...Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life
Blew wilder than the wind...

From Japan's "Ghosts".

When trying hard enough it is possible to make anything fit a preconceived notion, I suppose. While thinking about ghosts, these lines came to mind, and now they seem to refer to la Reina's moment with Taki-sensei. The more I look at the lyrics, the more eerily the whole track seems to match their situation.

Seeing things that aren't there, again? No way of knowing if someone else was doing a little retrofitting when constructing the scene. Plausible or delusional?

From YMO’s “Rydeen” it is a tiny step to Ryuichi Sakamoto and from there not a giant leap to David Sylvian via “Forbidden Colours” or to Mishima directly, from "Behind the Mask" to “Confessions of a Mask”. I started from “Ghosts”and this tenth episode but going in the opposite direction I ended up at Hibike! Euphonium (S1,E5) without much effort when trying to figure out if the animators might have any connection with that type of music or its literary inspirations. While the other words and concepts might be rather common -and thus the suggested associations tenuous by themselves- Rydeen is too unique and too solid a direct link to dismiss the other leaps as entirely implausible.
removed-userDec 12, 2016 1:17 AM
Dec 12, 2016 2:59 AM
Nov 2010
Wow. In the end when you hold it all in and be aloof when you're really not. I guess it all comes coming out. So surprised when Kumiko broke down in that train. But in the end she really adored her sister so I think that's the reason she realized she would miss her alot even when she denied it. Which then highly motivated her to talk to Asuka no matter what. When Asuka made her question her own reasons for persuading Asuka to rejoin was so effective in confusing her. Really brings out a dark side in Asuka. I'm glad Kumiko was able to pull Asuka back though. =) What was that look at the end with Reina though. Find it hard to believe it's something petty as jealousy so must be something else they'll reveal later.
Dec 12, 2016 5:20 AM

May 2010
Ah I forgot to say this (?) but I absolutely loved Kumiko's VA in this episode. Amazing. Everyone sounds great this anime but I esp love Reina and Kumiko's VAs.
TragicRomanceDec 12, 2016 5:23 AM
Dec 12, 2016 1:04 PM

Nov 2007
We will see Mini-Reina in the next episode! OMG! My heart!

Episode title is Hatsukoi Toranpetto (First Love Trumpet).
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 13, 2016 1:56 AM

Aug 2012
-Now that I think of it, Green Sapphire and Hazuki have not been relevant at all in this season
-Food prep scene shows some cultural differences between Japanese and Western cultures
-Despite how I did not like Mamiko's character from two episodes ago, the food prep scene was pretty nice, and Mamiko's pot cleaning was pretty characteristic of the discussion
-After thinking about it a bit, that scene was actually pretty beautifully done. It was characteristic of some of the best moments of the first season, and moments like that have been sorta lacking in the second season.
-Hoo damn, Asuka just tears into Kumiko there
-Props to Kumiko's VA during her rebuttal, because there was tons of emotion in the delivery of Kumiko's lines
-Seems like Asuka planned this outcome from the start by preparing for the mock exams to the point where she could invoke the results on her mom
-Somehow this episode strikes me as miles ahead of all of the previous S2 episodes, but I can't exactly pinpoint why

This episode was pretty surprising to me because of two scenes in particular and how prominent they were in the episode. What's more notable is that I didn't enjoy these scenes so much solely because of nostalgia factor. In previous episodes in season 2, the more memorable scenes were usually a minor component of the episode, but all of the relationship development and character development were central to the food prep scene and the one-on-one between Kumiko and Asuka.

I liked the food prep scene because of how they pretty seamlessly linked what the sisters were doing with what the sisters were saying. Mamiko first starts cleaning the pot by sponging away everything that wasn't hard-stuck on, and the things she says while doing this part of the cleaning were mostly accusatory towards Kumiko. These things were also on the surface level of Mamiko's personality and seemed mostly like things she just wanted to get off her mind. Mamiko doesn't really discuss the internal factors that influenced the way she acted until right before she uses the scouring pad to clean the hardened food residue. When she's finished talking about herself, she runs the water to flush everything out, and while the pot was clean in the end, it was noticeably scratched. I thought that this was a perfect symbol of Mamiko's character progression so far, which is why I loved that scene so much. I used to dislike Mamiko, but after this episode, my attitude her is much more neutral.

As for the one-on-one between Kumiko and Asuka, I think that's one of two or three scenes in any of the shows I've watched so far where I could actually notice the quality the voice acting. The flashbacks to previous episodes in the season probably helped make the scene more memorable, too, as well as the overall character development. The voice acting was still the best part of that scene, though.

Lovely episode, probably the best out of either season so far.

also it wasn't until i was in the middle of typing this up that i realized kumiko cried on the bus because she actually does miss her sister and that's pretty fuckin adorable
Dec 13, 2016 12:48 PM

Apr 2010
Another problem solved but it looks like a new problem is lurking around the corner Omai chan will remain busy for a while.
Well hopefully for her things will work out somehow.
Dec 14, 2016 3:03 AM

Jun 2013
Good episode, looks like Asuka is back, which should come to no surprise. And if i remember correcrly,reina saw the pic in sensei's desk last ep.
Dec 19, 2016 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
Top 30 nationwide out of like 1.5 million students. That's just too much.

Finally got her to join
Dec 23, 2016 5:11 AM

Aug 2013
Why do all anime characters overreacts over everything, jeez.
Dec 27, 2016 11:56 AM

Oct 2013
Lol why is Kumiko so mean to Shuuichi. She shrugged him off so so so hard this episode. Damn what a vicious savage. Reina may have found more about Taki-sensei. OH BOY.
Jan 2, 2017 6:33 PM

May 2010
It was quite a sweet episode, but I can't wait to see what's up with Reina! We got far too few scenes with her this season :< Hopefully the last episodes make up for it.
Jan 8, 2017 7:57 AM

Sep 2016
this was a good ass episode, shouts out to omae chan for showing her true feelings towards asuka and didnt give up,her character development is astounding love it and oh shit whats wrong with bae kousaka
Facta Non Verba
Jan 21, 2017 10:06 PM

Jan 2016
Asuka was actually pretty spot on about Kumiko always being an observer and watching things from a safe distance, so it was pretty exciting to see her break away from that when push came to shove.
Jan 24, 2017 6:07 PM

May 2012
Some more melodrama! Pretty lovely, let's see what happens next!
Jan 27, 2017 3:30 AM

Mar 2015
Glad Asuka's sorted out, but hmmm something's wrong with Reina?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 28, 2017 11:47 AM

Jul 2009
When the sisters are getting along, Mamiko will really leave.
I am glad Asuka is back, it would be a shame if she would leave when it's 3rd years last concert.
Feb 2, 2017 12:49 AM

Oct 2012
Aww, I like how Kumiko just burst like that
Honest talk is needed, because Asuka is way too smart-talker
Glad she's rejoining

Looks like it's Reina turn now
She definitely knows about Taki-sensei's wife
"Signature removed"
Apr 16, 2017 5:01 AM

Apr 2015
Didn't feel sis' speech, and thus the first half. Hard to watch

Ditto for the second half. Hmmm...
Apr 25, 2017 2:40 PM

Jun 2013
Oh Kumiko, it's okay to cry, but maybe you should be telling your sister that you miss her, not the people on the train... Well, I'm very happy for her and Mamiko.

shanimebib said:
Reina: I (it makes me) want to seize (or catch) you and peel that skin (fake i.e. mask) off.
Kumiko: Asuka-senpai, too?

[...]

Asuka peeled off Kumiko's mask in this episode.

That is so true! In a different way, compared to Reina, but still. Finally, she truly followed through her meddling, and it was awesome. I commend Kumiko for not letting Asuka break her spirit by coldly lashing out at her, though Asuka was technically correct (in asserting that Kumiko's afraid of confrontation, and never commits to her meddling, just with uglier words).

Kumiko basically made the case that pretending to be an adult does not make you one, so it makes more sense to embrace your childhood, live in the present, have no regrets, and all that good old cheesy stuff. I was totally sold, because I know that her conflict with her sister comes from a similar place, and all the ways Kumiko has improved over the course of the series.

Asuka totally gave Kumiko a head rub. Usually I don't like the "head pat" trope, but this time it was justified, because in addition to show affection and gratitude, Asuka did it to prevent Kumiko from seeing her "true form". The Euph Queen may be back, but she's still not ready for things like that.

LeeTailorApr 25, 2017 3:16 PM
Jul 13, 2017 1:51 PM

Jul 2010
I am sad for reina noone cares her
Nov 3, 2017 1:52 PM

Oct 2015
Finally Asuka is back after all that talk and speeches what a long ass ride.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 4, 2019 2:14 AM

Oct 2017
Lots of emotions in this episode. Kumiko cried a lot. And so did I.

She was sad for her sister because she really was leaving and she was gonna miss her. And she didn’t want Asuka to quit band either. She wanted to keep playing along side her and to for her play with them in the nationals. It really would suck for her not to be around. She brought so much personality to the band, ever since the first episode.
Jun 22, 2019 6:31 PM

Feb 2018
Woahh Asuka back xD.
Aug 4, 2019 11:40 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was quite the touching episode!

Kumiko, from not caring about people around her to becoming someone who’s willing to share her tears for those who’re dear to her, has come a long way this show, but immensely this episode alone too! Great stuff! Hats off to the VA for the entire series, but for this episode too in particular during the outburst of emotions scene - it just resounded and felt so real and genuine, stunning work!

Kumiko’s outburst over her sister’s leave was sad but that’s just a part of life, I suppose. I couldn’t help but get a little teary-eyed too, thanks to the flashbacks. Good thing her sister promised to see her perform in the Nationals and cleared up everything in front of her, got to thank Shouichi for this. And then over Asuka-senpai, yikes she was getting really cynical there but finally it broke down. Impressive how she managed to rank in the top 30 nationally though, she never had any intentions of quitting based on how she reacted to the mock exams and that’s great to see! Natsuki-senpai then willingly giving away her position, man she really is an angle isn’t she?

It’s time to delve into Taki-sensei and Reina’s past, I suppose. I’m a little surprised she didn’t know that he was married though, considering how their fathers are related, but I’ll just leave it up to the next episode for now.

One more sub-drama and then the Nationals, here we go!
_MushiRock11_Aug 5, 2019 3:11 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 26, 2019 10:20 AM

Apr 2013
Glad that the thing with Asuka has finally been sorted out. But now Reina is mad for some reason, gotta have something to do with Taki-sensei.
Jan 7, 2020 4:27 AM

Jan 2018
Kumiko best girl

The scene with Asuka and her crying in the train made me emotional ;-;
Jan 18, 2020 3:56 AM

Nov 2011
I like this conclusion because in the end it is Asuka's problem with her mother, and about how she remained silent about her plan because she was also not sure if her plan (persuade her mom with her scores, and whether she could get that high exam ranking in the first place) would work out or not..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 7, 2020 9:14 PM

Feb 2019
An amazing end to Asuka's arc.

A lot of feels this episode.

First was Kumiko's conversation with her sister. I really loved that conversation, signifying them making up. I love how honest her sister is now with how she was really jealous of Kumiko all this time and filled with regret. But she isn't going to continue doing that, she's going to choose her own path now. She gave Kumiko a very good lesson: "to not have regrets".

I wished Kumiko could've been more honest with her sister. Of course she'd miss her too. Then she cried in public. I never would've imagined seeing Kumiko cry at the start of the series.

And then it was Asuka-senpai. Her situation really mirrors Mamiko's and from that it was obvious she was headed in the same way: regret and hurt. And when Asuka-senpai tried to convince both herself and everyone else that this was for the best and did what she did begrudgingly, Kumiko couldn't hold it in anymore. Everything burst out, everything she wanted to say to Asuka-senpai after seeing her sister go through them. Seeing how Asuka-senpai was really headed towards the same conclusion, she couldn't let Asuka-senpai do that.

I think this is the first time someone really broke through Asuka-senpai's walls and spoke directly to her heart. I'm sad we couldn't see what expression Asuka-senpai had on her face, as not even Kumiko could see.

Kumiko's growth in this series can really be seen. She went from aloof, seemingly disinterested in the affairs of others and not really caring about anything to someone who cares deeply for the people around her and will not just say "at a safe distance" but will let it all out for them, so that neither she nor they will have any regrets. She's not content with just watching anymore. She's finally courageous enough to hurt and be hurt, because that's the only way you can move forward. So proud of Kumiko, she's really changed and matured.

Natsuki-senpai is also so nice, especially considering how I viewed her initially in the first half of the first season. When Asuka-senpai apologised to her, maybe how she responded with telling Asuka-senpai she didn't have to apologise and that she wanted this too would finally convince Asuka-senpai that the world isn't as cynical as she believes. Natsuki is so kind though.

And so the Asuka arc ends beautifully. Mamiko's going to Nagoya to see the Nationals! That's some dedication.

And now it seems we're entering Reina's arc? I think it was all due to her seeing that picture on Taki-sensei's desk. Is she starting to distance herself from people again? Why? Did she think that Kumiko knew and didn't tell her? Is she feeling betrayed? That was my first guess when Reina looked away after Kumiko's eyes met hers.

Onto the next piece!
Sep 7, 2020 1:51 AM

Jul 2015
Great to see Mamiko talking with Kumiko about her regrets and also to see Kumiko expressing her raw emotions to Asuka on wanting her not to give up and make choices she most likely regret. Good end to both Mamiko and Asuka (I have to admit I'm not a big fan of her so glad that this arc is over), but seeing Kousaka acting weird makes me worry she is devastated from discovering picture with Taki's wife.

Oct 28, 2020 11:58 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Kumiko's heart to heart with her sister and then finally breaking down later on the train alone really got me, probably is going to be my favorite episode of the whole series. We have kumiko really letting loose, and asuka actually being moved by it. I guess family came first so she must've studied hard as hell to excel in her exam and thus gain favour with her mother to re-enter the band.

I like how kumiko's family drama with her sister is happening parallel to that of asuka's. They weren't separated into two different arcs, making it more realistic because of course in reality one problem doesn't await the other.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 16, 2022 2:17 PM

Jul 2017
Already passed this ep, but I just had to come back to that stellar performance from Kumiko's seiyuu. Shit almost brought me to tears. She didn't have to go in that hard, my god.

10/10

Sep 28, 2022 3:18 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Definitely an emotional episode with Kumiko crying for her sister and then Asuka, and finally Asuka is joining the fanfare again!!
Jan 11, 2023 5:54 PM
Jan 2021
Aaaaaahh... I'm so happy that Asuka returned to the band! I knew this was happening sooner or later, but it is a relief anyways.

Also, Reina and Kumiko are growing distant... I wonder why. Maybe jealousy...? Hope it isn't anything too serious.

Just a tiny addition, the way Kumiko treats Shuichi always pisses me off. Like seriously, can't she just treat him a bit nicely? She's always so cold with him... I get that this may be just a part of her tsundere personality, but come oooon
May 16, 2023 9:03 AM

Jul 2021
literally me after finishing this episode:

great performance by kumiko's VA btw.
TsutanaiFuunMay 16, 2023 9:07 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 26, 2023 11:42 AM

May 2020
Drama, drama and so much drama lol.

Not going to lie, that first half with Kumiko's sister coming in terms with her choices and making up(not the most correct word but still) with Kumiko was actually the highlight of this episode for me, because Asuka on the other hand confuses me.

Anyways, things got sorted for good and that's the best for now. But it seems like someone didn't like the idea of them being left out of the loop this whole while.
Feb 25, 4:02 PM

May 2021
Asuka's back, Kumiko's made up with her sister, who in turn has resolved to achieve her dreams(loved the parallels b/w Mamiko and Asuka btw, of two children living under the burden of expectations). Happy ending, yay.

Reina: Hold my broken dreams.

Also, don't think I have said this but the visual imagery is amazing and this is coming from someone typically bad at noticing them.

Mar 24, 9:21 AM

May 2015
Happy that Kumiko had opened her heart and Asuka returns.
Mar 25, 10:14 AM
Mar 2018
Gosh, that discussion (argument?) between Kumiko and Asuka was HEA-VY! I'm glad she's back in the band, though.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

286 by Fikxz-Kun »»
Apr 15, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - Dec 21, 2016

228 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 25, 11:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.