Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 6, 2016 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
What anime cliches do you like and dislike? Such as, characters personalities and appearance, gags etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 6, 2016 8:45 PM

Aug 2015
I don't have any particular favourite cliche in anime. But when it comes to least favourite I'm already tired of seeing high school setting in anime. I understand it is meant to be relatable to its target audience but it's really overused, that it's not funny anymore, regardless of how impactful any series with that setting would be.

Dec 6, 2016 9:14 PM

Sep 2016
-As much as I can remember, one of the few I don't dislike that much would be when the antagonist doesn't kill the mc right away but instead waits for him to get stronger so he can fight him (pretty much what Hisoka is doing at HxH)
-Some of the least favourite are "let me tell you why I'm going to kill you before I actually do it", the accidentally boob grabs, and the dead parents aka "The Batman Syndrome"
Dec 6, 2016 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
This thread again? I've seen it like 10 times already.

Favorite: None
Least favorite: All
Dec 7, 2016 2:49 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
favorite cliche's: tits and ass filling the screen/half the screen

leave favorite cliche's: eh... idrk lol
Dec 7, 2016 4:05 AM

Aug 2014
Can you provide me with a list of cliches so that i can choose from it?
Dec 7, 2016 4:31 AM

Aug 2009
Highschools, Teenagers, crappy characters.... how most of anime is shit in general lol.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Dec 7, 2016 4:37 AM
Jul 2018

Favorite: All
Least favorite: None
Dec 7, 2016 4:38 AM

Dec 2015
Favorite:
I don't like it, but I don't hate the obligatory beach / hot spring episodes. They usually bring a nice change of pace and contain some funny scenes. The obvious 'insecuresmallbreastedgirlscene' and the boob stares the always end up in these episodes however are quite annoying.

Least favorites:
Parent issues. It seems to me like 90% of all anime consist of MC's that either have no parents, (seemingly) live on their own at age 12-15ish, parents divorced, 1 parent is alcoholic.. You name it.

This occurs in pretty much any anime with some romance in them: 2 characters are about to kiss, only to be cut off by the most random events (such as stomachache, random person walking in, etc). After that the hinted couple always starts back from square 1.

Edit; Oh and another horrid cliché in romance anime: Couple are afraid to kiss for 90% of the anime, and when they finally do in the last or second to last episode, then in the epilogue which is set about 1 year later, they suddenly have a kid, are married and or live together, if not all of them combined.
Mino_Dec 7, 2016 4:42 AM
Dec 7, 2016 4:39 AM

Feb 2016
Wimp mc, Perverted weak mc, just as the he said above most anime are like that..... which are really annoying.

Dec 7, 2016 4:43 AM
Aug 2016
hmm well there are so many cliches that it is hard to point out which are my fav and which i hate the most.

Well i guess my least favourite is the cliche Hot spring/Pool/Beach episode. so many series were ruined due to that fan service episode rather than focus on story development, even more true for those with a short amount of episodes.

My fav cliche: The Ability to gain an amazing amount of power for the mc at the end of his/her rope, (As long as they do a good explanation that lead up to it)
Dec 7, 2016 5:08 AM

Oct 2014
There are soooo many things that can be called Cliché so here is a list.
Ones I like:
- Group of misfits/ideotic friends, because that alone is enough for a funny comedy.
- Overkill/Devastating attacks, ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA!!!!!!!
Etc.

Ones I don't like:
- Acidentally Sexual assault like boobfalls and etc. That joke got sooo dam old.
- the dere character, unless they get deconstructed into a well written one, Deres are just 2 dimensional
- Dick measuring midfight, we can fight but first I will tell you how big my dick is (How my powers work/are and how powerfull I am). This doesn't even make sense, if you want to beat your oponents then you shouldn't tell them what you can do so that they can device a counter to it!
- and etc.
Dec 7, 2016 5:11 AM

Jan 2015
Lord_Sithis said:

The Internet will always keep repeating itself :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Dec 7, 2016 5:33 AM

Nov 2014
I really only get bored of the cliche if I see it coming before it does. Sometimes in shows where it has pretty much not done that before and is pretty serious, then I think, "Oh isn't this a perfect moment to add a scene where he walks into a girl changing?" Then it happens...... kills it for me.

Shows mocking cliches are also getting old too.

Having strange personality quirks is one that I do like though., feels so... me?
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 7, 2016 5:43 AM

Aug 2013
Don't know, don't want to know and don't care. I pretend it's an original thing and i just watch the show. Makes the whole experience much better, when you just don't think about it.
Dec 7, 2016 5:50 AM

Sep 2015
I pretty much hate every single romance/ecchi/harem clichés:

• Accidental boob grabs, ass grabs, etc.
  • Character being slapped or called pervert for those accidents
  • Character walking in on a girl changing, having a bath, etc.
  • Character freezes in embarrassment and starts making excuses
  • Character labelled as pervert for showing healthy sexual interest
  • Calling drinking after someone else an indirect kiss
Dec 7, 2016 5:54 AM

Apr 2013
Favourite anime cliche: At least one chick with big boobs.
Least favourite anime cliche: Dense protagonists
Dec 7, 2016 7:49 AM

Nov 2016
When the main character is blank so it's easy to relate to him: no it's not, he's boring and there's nothing to relate too. It's even worst when they have brown hair and brown eyes because that just shows how generic they are.

When the MC learns about or gets transported into another world, invited by a cute girl and potential love interest, gets his new powers and abilities, is retarded and nobody believes in him, suddenly he gets better and better until he becomes very powerful, surpasses the girl... oh god stop this.

Doing something quickly and/or without explanation. Everyone is surprised. Someone calmly explained what happened. Flashback to show it happen again. Everyone is flabbergasted. The character who did is super badass and the one who explained it is super clever. Wow. No stop. It works sometime like in Death Note but it can get so annoying and repetitive in other anime.
Dec 7, 2016 7:51 AM

Jun 2015
Least favourite: isekai
Most favourite: 4th wall break
Dec 7, 2016 7:56 AM

Oct 2016
Favorite: when the main character goes berserk
Least favorite: childhood friend with huge boobs
lol
Dec 7, 2016 8:06 AM
Sep 2016
I don't have a favorite, except maybe insanity like FLCL, Dead Leaves, and Redline. But I hate tsunderes and I hate when in romances the main guy ends up with them.
Dec 7, 2016 8:20 AM

Jul 2015
Favorite: Le wild love rival appearance. Truly evil characters (no sad backstory, they're just straight assholes)

Least: Bimbo girls. Characters with no backbone (need help with everything, always cries). Poor communication tropes (Just fucking say it, bro). Tsunderes. Slow plots b/c of dense characters.

I'm sure I'll be editing this when I think more.
Dec 7, 2016 8:40 AM

Sep 2012
Lord_Sithis said:

Thanks for giving answer for me too.
Dec 7, 2016 8:44 AM

Jun 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:

Least favourite? How about stuff like steam going just the right way to censor? Better leave that out.
Dec 7, 2016 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
Dislike:
- average anime protagonists: either afraid of women, dense, useless (often despite huge power), indecisive etc. or arrogant jerk who behave like creepy rapist (in extreme cases, is one). I hate when they can't make normal character. Always extreme to the point they are unlikable.

- sudden beams of light / steam - I honestly like the nude scenes as the next man, but honestly, if scene is so problematic you can't air it without censoring, then it is better to not include it at all!

Heldengeist said:
I pretty much hate every single romance/ecchi/harem clichés:

• Accidental boob grabs, ass grabs, etc.
  • Character being slapped or called pervert for those accidents
  • Character walking in on a girl changing, having a bath, etc.
  • Character freezes in embarrassment and starts making excuses
  • Character labelled as pervert for showing healthy sexual interest
  • Calling drinking after someone else an indirect kiss

All of above.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Dec 7, 2016 10:45 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Oliemaar said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Least favourite? How about stuff like steam going just the right way to censor? Better leave that out.

lol yea i guess i have to say the white light of doom would have to be it, but we all know thats not really an "anime clich'e"
Dec 7, 2016 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
Cliches? I don't care about them, fuck everything else as long as it's a good anime.
Dec 7, 2016 11:09 AM

Dec 2016
I really love the "clash" between the main character and the main antagonist, when they go all out on one attack and the result is an explosion of energy equivalent to a megaton bomb.
I really dislike most of the cliches found in HS settings. I don't mind high school settings, but when the main character already has an harem by episode 2... You know they're just trying hard to make you stay. Extra points if you already saw someone naked.
Dec 7, 2016 11:53 AM

Jun 2011
I seriously hate it when a guy gets slapped/beaten for something which was obviously the girl's fault (e.g. leaving the door unlocked while changing). I will never understand how anyone would think it is a good idea to overuse that setting so much.
I'm feeling thank you
Dec 7, 2016 12:22 PM
Jul 2016
Favorite:
This is going to sound juvenile (particularly to those of you who listed this as your least favorite,) but the "Oops: I accidentally fell on you in a compromising position/grabbed you in an inconvenient place," trope never gets old for me. As long as it's not taken to ludicrous extremes, I find it hilarious. I think part of it is the fact that you can see it coming a few seconds away.

The funny thing is, I don't really like the ecchi genre.

Least Favorite:
I could go on for ages listing ones I don't like, but I'd probably pick the mutual "I really like you but I'm not going to say anything for the next twenty episodes because I'm afraid you'll reject me" scenario. It's inevitably used to drag a romance plot/subplot out without any real development, and I feel like I'm being led along with the promise of a reward that never really amounts to much. I wish the characters would just spit it out and get to the good part.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Dec 7, 2016 12:31 PM
Aug 2016
My least favourite is when all / the majority of the characters all fit certain archetypes, and that is their entire character. I don't mind archetypes, as long as there is more to a character than just that.

My favourite cliche is when all the characters have unnatural hair colours. In some anime the hair is the only way to tell characters apart so there has to be some variation.
Food is the way to a mans heart.
Food wars is the way to mine.

'So long as this world stays nonsensical, there'll be room in it for a nonsensical person like me.'
Dec 7, 2016 2:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TITS ON 1/2 THE SCREEN... I'M SO UUUUSSED TO THIIIIISSSS!!!

ASS ON 1/2 THE SCREEN... I'M SO UUUSSED TO THIIIIISSSS!!!

MOE SLICE OF LIFE.... I GOT UUUUSSED TO THIIIIISSSS!!!

5 GIRLS AND ONE GUY.... I GOT UUUUSSED TO THIIIIISSSS!!!

HOT SPRING EPISODE... I GOT UUUUSSED TO THIIIIISSSS!

WALKING IN ON DRESSING GIRLS... I DUN GOT UUUUSSED TO THIIIIISSSS!!!

GOING TO THE BEACH... GOT ALL KINDA FLAVAZ!!!
EcchiGodMamsterDec 7, 2016 2:29 PM
Dec 7, 2016 4:35 PM

Nov 2015
I hate the cliche of the female calling the male a perv by his accidents.

So dumb.
Dec 7, 2016 7:13 PM

Apr 2015
Break the cutie will be forever my favorite Chinese cartoon cliches.
Dec 8, 2016 3:01 AM

Nov 2014
I don't know whether this can be counted as a cliche or not, but i never get tired with "breaking 4th wall" type of comedy.. It always get me everytime..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Dec 8, 2016 3:54 AM

Nov 2015
I like pretty much every cliche/trope as long as it is implemented in a good way. Execution is everything.

Except for the short-haired, violent, tsundere childhood friend or any variation of it. I'll never like that, not even tolerate it.
Dec 8, 2016 4:38 AM

May 2015
The whole 'beat up the silly girl with the big breasts' cliche is just disgusting. It stops being funny and becomes sadistic.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 8, 2016 6:14 AM

Nov 2009
My favorite cliche is the Rei clone. I love all of them, and have two of them in my favorite characters.

My least favorite? I guess the girl falling in love with her rapist in hentai. I get it, she loves sex now, but why not find herself a decent man who is on her side? Or a dozen of them. With her looks, it should not be a problem.
Dec 8, 2016 6:25 AM
Jul 2018
Favorite: when the boy and the girl kiss in the rain
Least favorite: power of friendship!!!
Dec 8, 2016 7:01 AM

Nov 2016
refael9190 said:
I like pretty much every cliche/trope as long as it is implemented in a good way. Execution is everything.

Except for the short-haired, violent, tsundere childhood friend or any variation of it. I'll never like that, not even tolerate it.

Totally approve on both of this, execution is the most important part. For the childhood friend also, apparently she always wakes up super early and the MC is always late. And she makes his lunch. And bring him his homework. And helps him with studying and homeworks. Yet she is still somehow dependant of him. Her entire life goal is caring for her potential future husband. Ugh -_-
Dec 8, 2016 7:09 AM

Jun 2011
Rinar said:
refael9190 said:

Totally approve on both of this, execution is the most important part. For the childhood friend also, apparently she always wakes up super early and the MC is always late. And she makes his lunch. And bring him his homework. And helps him with studying and homeworks. Yet she is still somehow dependant of him. Her entire life goal is caring for her potential future husband. Ugh -_-
Don't forget that they are usually a cockblock and deny any other relationship going on thus making the romance aspect of a show stagnating.
I'm feeling thank you
Dec 8, 2016 7:12 AM

Nov 2009
Rinar said:
refael9190 said:

Why does it remind me of Ui from K-ON (Yui's hyper-capable little sister)?
Dec 8, 2016 9:59 AM

Oct 2009
Favorite: When the hero(ine) is losing and was getting beat up throughout the episode, then he/she gets fired and the theme music starts playing in the background and it's time to kick some a$$. (It still gets me to this day)

Worst: When using too much fan-service in a non-fan-service Anime. It's okay for once or twice but becomes too damn distracting from the plot. Hey... if I wanted to watch Ecchi, I'd just watch Ecchi. Don't hammer it in when it's not needed. With that said, some Ecchi Anime is extremely entertaining like Prison School. Oh boy... what a crazy Anime this is!
Dec 8, 2016 4:17 PM

Jun 2011
Every oblivious harem protagonist ever..I hate it when they are in a harem but oblivious towards the feelings of their harem candidates
Dec 8, 2016 4:31 PM
Mar 2015
The MC defying gravity and falling on top of a girl's certain more-private areas, which is pure "coincidence" and stupidly stupid.

Harems.... I get bored of them sooooo easily now. No where in life will a loser get a whole bunch of gorgeous and beautiful ladies to like them, unless it was in an anime.

The MC can't act normal with the girl he likes. Wha-?! If you do that, the girl will avoid you even more. I hate it when the girls are clueless about this fact.

The MC walking into a seemingly "unlocked" bathroom with the girl in there still fully naked. If you know someone is naked in there, GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE IMMEDIATELY! Don't just stand there and stare, you dumbass.

A bad beginning with a girl on the street, and she so happens to be a transfer student... in your class, and things get awkward.

A demon/angel/or any supernatural creature becomes the love interest of a MC. Worst of all, she transfers into your class.

Beach episodes. Yeah, every series will need the MC going to the beach with a whole bunch of girls in bikinis, and the MC will need to rub one of their backs, while avoiding touching their breasts.

Big busty girl whose boobs bounce at every single frame of the shot.

Childhood friends, who decided they want to fall in love.... NOW

Gender benders.... don't get me started....

Villains always telling you their plan before they do it, and you end up stopping them, and they get angry for you stopping them. Well you shouldn't have told me anything in the first place. Yes, Aizen. I'm talking to you. I honestly don't mind this cliche though....
Dec 8, 2016 4:34 PM

Apr 2013
Fav = Male Tsundere

Worst = Good ol' accidental boob grab. That shit gets sold so fucking fast.
Dec 8, 2016 4:54 PM

May 2015
Worst: Dominant girl who bosses guy around becomes submissive as fuck minute she gets the dick inside her.

worst cliche of anything, why can't I just have good femdom.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 8, 2016 4:56 PM

Feb 2010
Favourite Cliches playing opening theme durring awsome final battle

lest favorite cliches girl slaps guy opening door that she should have locked
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 8, 2016 5:01 PM

Feb 2016
When the male protagonist is surrounded by girls who are constantly coming on to him, and still somehow doesn't get laid. 😤😤😤
Dec 8, 2016 5:05 PM
anime pervert

Apr 2013
Favorite: any accidental ecchi

Least favorite: Friendship is power
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

18 by PenguinLam »»
2 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

22 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

32 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

87 by Israel_Is_Evil »»
15 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

81 by nishant0 »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.