Forum Settings
Forums

Do you agree that anime needs more rude and mean spirited protagonist?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 10, 2016 1:12 PM

May 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I agree that the character should be "able to do something other than that" in the sense that real human personalities are multifaceted, but not in the sense that the character needs to have more tropes attached to it.

The result may be similar but it's the intent that often makes the difference between whether something feels cohesive.

It's not so much as attaching tropes, but using the archetype to build something bigger. So our heroine is a dumb big-breasted girl, but what's her worldview? How does she feel about being placed in that position? What she think of herself? What does she want? Why does she want it?

She's still a dumb big-breasted girl, but all these questions make her interesting.

I agree; those sorts of perspectives are what make her "human" and give the story verisimilitude.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 10, 2016 1:17 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 31, 2016 6:45 AM

Aug 2012
flannan said:
Bobby2Hands said:

I didn't know Konosuba's author was female.
That is kinda surprising considering just about every female in that show is subject to skimpy clothing, jiggle physics and other miscellaneous fanservice.

Women authors don't seem to have a problem adding fanservice to works meant for men. For example, Kodomo no Jikan is drawn by a woman. Inu to Boku SS too.
I wonder if konosuba's MC is the generic male the way women see them ^_^

Hmm... any ideas how to look for male-oriented anime written by women?

I think it's very interesting! I started a topic a moment ago, if youre interested heres the link https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1566610
AmyltiaDec 31, 2016 6:50 AM
Jan 5, 2017 5:57 AM

Dec 2016
Yes, to an extent but when you think of the unpopularity of characters like that (such as Haizaki Shougo from Kuroko no Basket), I'm not sure whether it would work. The antagonist from Psycho Pass was pretty much the opposite, but highly popular.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 5, 2017 6:13 AM

Oct 2010
It would certainly be a better option than the typical eternal optimist who values their friendships and loves to fight. But then again, I'm not sure if I would want for us to end up plagued with male tsunderes. We already have too many cruddy female tsunderes every season.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

19 by Sorachin »»
3 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

16 by redorzo »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

91 by AxiaG »»
5 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

36 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

38 by AxiaG »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.