Forum Settings
Forums

Would Anime like Black Lagoon and Berserk change the minds of Anime Haters

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 5, 2016 6:15 AM

Jul 2015
@KaiserNazrin A Mirai Nikki fan calling Berserk edgy. I'm not sure if serious or not lol.
Dec 5, 2016 6:31 AM

Aug 2015
No, but watching Cory in the House will
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Dec 5, 2016 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
Clebardman said:
@KaiserNazrin A Mirai Nikki fan calling Berserk edgy. I'm not sure if serious or not lol.

Mirai Nikki is edgy too. Go on, pick another series in my list and try to make a point which you don't have. Also no idea what make you think I am fan of it, just because I have it in my list?

Dec 5, 2016 12:19 PM

Nov 2016
Depends if they're hating for the sake of it or if they are ignorant. Take my mom, she thought it was either violence or kid stuff, showed her Spirited Away and she loved it.

p.s. black lagoon lol
Dec 5, 2016 12:21 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
why are you trying to get an anime hater into anime?

that just brings more cancer into the "community" as theyre just going to start bashing everything and everyone they don't like/agree with
Dec 5, 2016 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
Oh cool another thread about anime haters by user Toyota434 ^^

OT: If they hate anime so much, what makes you think that they would even give any of those shows a watch?
Even if they hypothetically watch any of those show, i doubt that would change their mind.
Dec 5, 2016 12:36 PM

Sep 2015
There are hundreds of anime out there that someone could use to showcase that there is more to anime that tits and cute girls.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 5, 2016 12:54 PM

Feb 2010
no because you probably would not get them to watch it in the first place
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 5, 2016 1:02 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I don't think any show can change what they think unless it actually appeals to them. If it's got appeal then sure, but even then it can only be a select few shows that they like and still dislike the medium in general so yeah.
Dec 5, 2016 1:22 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know how to react when all the four members that replied to me took my post with seriousness and not humor/sarcasm.

Of course I know stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are typically gateway anime o.O

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 5, 2016 3:11 PM

Aug 2014
Black Lagoon = Serious? Really OP? hahahahahahaha

Instead of saying LOGH you decided to say Black Lagoon?

Anyway it all depends on the mindset of this hater, what genre he/she likes will influence your recommendation greatly.
Dec 5, 2016 4:07 PM

Oct 2014
if you show something like berserk to an anime hater he will simply dismiss the entire thing because of the animation quality
but yes of course making someone experiency some classics of indeniable quality(having mass appeal is kind of good for a first experience) is the best way to make someone change their mind about anime
Dec 5, 2016 4:09 PM

Oct 2014
Klassical said:
Black Lagoon = Serious? Really OP? hahahahahahaha

Instead of saying LOGH you decided to say Black Lagoon?

Anyway it all depends on the mindset of this hater, what genre he/she likes will influence your recommendation greatly.

well showing logh is far from the best way to change someone mind about anime since it appeals to a very small audience
Dec 5, 2016 5:09 PM

Apr 2013
BERSERK IN TWO THOUSAND SIXTEEN LUL
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Dec 6, 2016 3:32 AM

Jul 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
Clebardman said:

Mirai Nikki is edgy too. Go on, pick another series in my list and try to make a point which you don't have. Also no idea what make you think I am fan of it, just because I have it in my list?

Because you gave it a 9?

I was just finding it funny because you rated higly most recent edgy gateway anime, yet claim newcomers should stay away from Berserk. I'm not too sure I understand the logic here but given how popular Mirai Nikki or TG are, it's pretty safe to say edgy =/= innapropriate for newbs.
Dec 6, 2016 3:35 AM

Apr 2014
No, because they would never watch it, because they hate anime. Let them hate anime, it's not like them not liking anime discourages you from watching anime.
Dec 6, 2016 3:47 AM
Sep 2015
IF they agree to watch anime, of course those would change their mind. But the real problem is their prejudice.
Dec 6, 2016 6:00 AM

May 2016
InsaneLeader13 said:
KaiserNazrin said:
Yes, show them edgy anime. That will definitely change their view about anime and open their mind. They will start to respect anime and become a fan just like you because you show them edgy anime. Bloods,violence and rape will totally make them stop calling anime is for kids.

To be fair, I'd rather anime be seen as something excessively dark then as something for kids.

The primary reason is because when anything is seen as being something for kids, the average person will never watch it unless they are forced to watch it with their kids. It will always be easier to convince someone to watch something that seems comically dark then something from a sugarbowl.

The secondary reason is because if these people are going to watch anime with their children, they aren't going to invest any time in figuring out what would actually be suitable for their children, and law of probability predict that they will eventually end up playing something that they wouldn't find appropriate for their children. In turn, this leads to more bitching about how terrible anime is because it deceived their poor children.
What the fuck is this reasoning?

The only reason you want anime to be as "dark" is for people to be interested in watching it, which is not only untrue, but incredibly superficial.

Also, has OP considered that the hate towards anime is justified? Anime btfo'd imo
Dec 6, 2016 6:06 AM

Nov 2011
Clebardman said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Because you gave it a 9?

I was just finding it funny because you rated higly most recent edgy gateway anime, yet claim newcomers should stay away from Berserk. I'm not too sure I understand the logic here but given how popular Mirai Nikki or TG are, it's pretty safe to say edgy =/= innapropriate for newbs.

Consdering how long I've been here, I don't make it a habit to remember what score I give to what anime.

Where in my post did I say NEWCOMERS SHOULD NEVER WATCH BERSERK! huh? All I am saying is watching that anime won't automatically change their perception about anime.

Dec 6, 2016 6:48 AM

Apr 2015
Yudina said:
InsaneLeader13 said:

To be fair, I'd rather anime be seen as something excessively dark then as something for kids.

The primary reason is because when anything is seen as being something for kids, the average person will never watch it unless they are forced to watch it with their kids. It will always be easier to convince someone to watch something that seems comically dark then something from a sugarbowl.

The secondary reason is because if these people are going to watch anime with their children, they aren't going to invest any time in figuring out what would actually be suitable for their children, and law of probability predict that they will eventually end up playing something that they wouldn't find appropriate for their children. In turn, this leads to more bitching about how terrible anime is because it deceived their poor children.
What the fuck is this reasoning?

The only reason you want anime to be as "dark" is for people to be interested in watching it, which is not only untrue, but incredibly superficial.

Also, has OP considered that the hate towards anime is justified? Anime btfo'd imo

I'm not saying I want anime to be as dark as possible. I'm saying that I'd prefer it to be perceived in that way in the minds of the masses in the West. To make an example of how this concept works, I want you to look at the stupid success of Suicide Squad and Deadpool. Both of these had great success in attracting audiences despite one being written poorly and one being written well. And both are edgelord films, even if Deadpool slightly offsets it by being rooted in comedy. This is far from the only example, but they are the most recent relevant examples in the public conscious. Teens and 20-somethings in the west eat up 'dark' shit, even if it is merely hot-topic brand edginess.
On the other hand, the only 'family friendly' films that ever seem to take off are those from household companies (Disney-Pixar being the one that comes to mind the most). This impression sure isn't helping anime win any new converts with any significant numbers. If it was, more Miyazaki films then Spirited Away and my Neighbor Tortoro would be in the public subconscious, and something like Love Live would be more then a 10 second meme.

Again, I'm not saying that I want anime to be as dark as possible. I'm satisfied with the balance between sweet, moderate, and dark that anime currently has. There is something for everyone.

For someone who wants to share this medium with others, such an impression would be a great way to get more people interested in it.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 6, 2016 8:27 AM

Apr 2015
flannan said:
Communication with other people is fundamentally useless. The only way to change another person's mind it to put a few bullets in it.
You can make a law that forbids them from hate speech against anime fans, though. Religious people have done it, and I don't see why anime fans are not worthy of similar protection.

On occasion, it is hard to tell when people are serious and when they are not.
Dec 6, 2016 8:40 AM

Nov 2009
Tylaen said:
flannan said:
Communication with other people is fundamentally useless. The only way to change another person's mind it to put a few bullets in it.
You can make a law that forbids them from hate speech against anime fans, though. Religious people have done it, and I don't see why anime fans are not worthy of similar protection.

On occasion, it is hard to tell when people are serious and when they are not.

I was over-dramatic when writing it.
Dec 6, 2016 8:40 AM
Apr 2014
Berserk is great but it has a fair amount of rape and other hentai-like moments so I think that it might only reinforce their opinion that "hurr all animu is hentai"
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 2 hours ago

14 by Shikhar22 »»
3 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 3 hours ago

12 by 81canfan13 »»
7 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 1 hour ago

11 by EastIndiaCompany »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

79 by ColourWheel »»
9 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.