Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2016 9:51 AM

Jan 2011
I am only three episodes in and while episode 3 was surprisingly good. I think the show is too focus on being pretty and grand. While yes the animation is awesome.(outside of an error I found with the villain's cup in episode 3 being magically refilled.) It has done a poor job setting up the scene and characters. I barely know anything about them. It doesn't that Papika is super annoying while Cocona is boring as piss. I really feel the show could have put characters first before the art and animation. A certain show by Trigger did this and it was fucking awesome. I don't think it is the worst thing but it kind of sucks when everything nice I try to say about this show leads back to the art and animation.
MasterHavikDec 1, 2016 2:37 PM
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 1, 2016 10:24 AM

Jun 2013
Completey disagree but I guess you're allowed to have an opinion.
Dec 1, 2016 10:25 AM

Apr 2014
You are very wrong.
Dec 1, 2016 10:53 AM

Mar 2016
Well i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion >_<
Dec 1, 2016 12:34 PM

Sep 2013
Ok then...........
Dec 1, 2016 1:13 PM

Sep 2014
I completely disagree. Everything is good in flap flappers while the animation is poor and the art is boring. The art is not as shitty as Trigger tho.
Dec 1, 2016 1:38 PM

Jun 2016
Having watched 9 episodes, I certainly don't think it is boring. The story is maybe a little slower than other animu I've seen, but that does not make it boring to me. The episodes still keep me interested for atleast 15/24 minutes.
Dec 1, 2016 1:41 PM

Jun 2012
Personally, i love everything about this series so far, animation, characters, story.
Dec 1, 2016 1:54 PM
May 2014
i dont think it's boring but it's very confusing and there's a lot of question i feel like that wont be answered
Dec 1, 2016 2:06 PM

Jan 2009
you are just impatient to know everything about the story

i enjoy anime like this that are not spoon feeding every little details of the story to the viewers

anime is visual story telling anyway, if you want a lot of exposition then just read books
Dec 1, 2016 2:12 PM

Jan 2013
It's like those good ol anime from back in the day.
Monster of the week fighting with foreshadowing dropped here and there, only to have everything come full circle and explained in the last couple of episodes.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 1, 2016 2:36 PM

Jan 2011
Let me make clear guys. I love the art and animation. I don't know why people are confusing what I said. The art and animation have been my favorite parts of the show. It's just everything else is boring and uninteresting. I will say episode 3 woke me up. I'll keep watching and catch up with this show. I really wish this was dub since I may be able to power through it better.

Edit: Also it's fine to disagree with me.
Dec 1, 2016 2:55 PM

Jul 2014
I feel like this show is asking it's audience to interpret as much as they want from what they're given - hence no exposition dumps. Instead you learn what the characters are like by spending time with them, and you only know as much about the world as the MC, learning everything with them. It's the way I prefer things, but I can understand why people might not like it.

I'd say just try and go with the flow.
Dec 1, 2016 3:21 PM

Jan 2011
slackvariable said:
I feel like this show is asking it's audience to interpret as much as they want from what they're given - hence no exposition dumps. Instead you learn what the characters are like by spending time with them, and you only know as much about the world as the MC, learning everything with them. It's the way I prefer things, but I can understand why people might not like it.

I'd say just try and go with the flow.
oh I don't want exposition dumps. Granted I don't hate them like others do but setting up things better than just dragging us along the mist of pretty colors. I mean it feels like they did put any thought into the dialogue.
Dec 1, 2016 3:54 PM

Jan 2014
MasterHavik said:
I am only three episodes in and while episode 3 was surprisingly good. I think the show is too focus on being pretty and grand. While yes the animation is awesome.(outside of an error I found with the villain's cup in episode 3 being magically refilled.) It has done a poor job setting up the scene and characters. I barely know anything about them. It doesn't that Papika is super annoying while Cocona is boring as piss. I really feel the show could have put characters first before the art and animation. A certain show by Trigger did this and it was fucking awesome. I don't think it is the worst thing but it kind of sucks when everything nice I try to say about this show leads back to the art and animation.

It's aight bro, I mean everybody has an opinon so, so you can say what you honestly feel

EVEN THO YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG :I
Dec 1, 2016 3:55 PM

Jan 2011
DoctorWasabi said:
MasterHavik said:

It's aight bro, I mean everybody has an opinon so, so you can say what you honestly feel

EVEN THO YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG :I
I got six more episodes. My opinion could change.
Dec 1, 2016 4:02 PM

May 2010
Every episode is entertaining and engaging for me
Dec 1, 2016 4:07 PM

Jan 2010
Yeah, it can seem pretty dry. I don't blame you because when the first few episodes came out it was like
"What's going on??" "What is Pure Illusion?" "I don't get it..!!!"

And it's not until now that there is a coherent idea of the show.
I'd highly advise you to check out CrunchyRoll's take on the subtext of the show linked here.

Imo, the animation is so well-done because it helps tell a story.
I think that story is just unclear to you right now.
MasterHavik said:
I barely know anything about them

Well, given that the common theme of this show is exploring identity,
it makes sense to give little to no information.
I think that's also where the animation helps with that too
I hope you'll enjoy it in the end, more or less!
cottonpieDec 1, 2016 4:11 PM
Dec 1, 2016 4:44 PM

Jan 2011
cottonpie said:
Yeah, it can seem pretty dry. I don't blame you because when the first few episodes came out it was like
"What's going on??" "What is Pure Illusion?" "I don't get it..!!!"

And it's not until now that there is a coherent idea of the show.
I'd highly advise you to check out CrunchyRoll's take on the subtext of the show linked here.

Imo, the animation is so well-done because it helps tell a story.
I think that story is just unclear to you right now.
MasterHavik said:
I barely know anything about them

Well, given that the common theme of this show is exploring identity,
it makes sense to give little to no information.
I think that's also where the animation helps with that too
I hope you'll enjoy it in the end, more or less!
Wel if Flip Flappers was a 3D platformer it would be better since this show is focusing so much on grand adventure. That is what made games like Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper popular back in the day.
Dec 1, 2016 4:57 PM

Oct 2013
I don't think Flip Flappers is boring in the least, but I can say that I often long to watch an episode after taking a tab of acid.
Dec 1, 2016 5:38 PM

Jul 2016
I highly disagree. This show is more lively and action-packed than most shows from this season.

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Dec 1, 2016 5:40 PM

Dec 2012
Shouldn't you be watching some deep, story-driven stuff like Lucky Star or Panty & Stocking?

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Dec 1, 2016 6:31 PM

Aug 2015
I don't find it boring too the thing is, they don't spoon feed everything to the viewers some might find the build-up slow but for me after watching episode 9 I can say that the story is well paced for a 13 episode series.
Dec 1, 2016 7:15 PM

Jan 2011
Crimson said:
I highly disagree. This show is more lively and action-packed than most shows from this season.
Well that isn't my problem it just seems just wants to show off that and not really establish anything or step up.

Infatuate said:
Shouldn't you be watching some deep, story-driven stuff like Lucky Star or Panty & Stocking?
PSG decided to stop being around episode 3 or 5 and starts telling some nice stories. Lucky Star is meta as fuck. Nice try though:) There are some story driven story on my list if you actually look and look at what I'm currently watching. I hate people like you.

SeijiroUshio said:
I don't find it boring too the thing is, they don't spoon feed everything to the viewers some might find the build-up slow but for me after watching episode 9 I can say that the story is well paced for a 13 episode series.
Yeah I don't want to be spoon fed anything. I just prefer it took time to step up things instead of Cocna and Papika go to strange world and do shit for 22 minutes while looking pretty. I mean this may have been better as an OVA serious because there is a music video like Shelter and it's pretty amazing while being pretty.
Dec 1, 2016 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
MasterHavik said:
I hate people like you.

I am only three episodes in and while episode 3 was surprisingly good. I think the show is too focus on being mundane and simple. While yes the animation is awesome.(outside of an error I found with the konata's hair changing color in a certain frame) It has done a poor job setting up the scene and characters. I barely know anything about them. It doesn't that Kagami is super annoying while Tsukasa is boring as piss. I really feel the show could have put characters first before the art and animation. A certain show by Gainax did this and it was fucking awesome. I don't think it is the worst thing but it kind of sucks when everything nice I try to say about this show leads back to the art and animation.

Dec 1, 2016 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
Infatuate said:
MasterHavik said:
I hate people like you.

I am only three episodes in and while episode 3 was surprisingly good. I think the show is too focus on being mundane and simple. While yes the animation is awesome.(outside of an error I found with the konata's hair changing color in a certain frame) It has done a poor job setting up the scene and characters. I barely know anything about them. It doesn't that Kagami is super annoying while Tsukasa is boring as piss. I really feel the show could have put characters first before the art and animation. A certain show by Gainax did this and it was fucking awesome. I don't think it is the worst thing but it kind of sucks when everything nice I try to say about this show leads back to the art and animation.
If you're going to counter this post you first put it in quotation marks and then you write your counter argument. Reposting this....tells me nothing. If you don't think I won't watch the rest. You are playing yourself.
Dec 1, 2016 8:53 PM

Jun 2015
Sorry everyone's hating on you man, I also found it fairly boring after 3 episodes... lol. It gets much better, by I'd say episode 5 or 6 things will start to click more, you'll recognize the themes, the action gets better and your overall understanding of the show improves. By episode 9, the latest episode, I'm actually very into the show. Keep going!
Dec 1, 2016 9:08 PM

Dec 2012
MasterHavik said:
If you're going to counter this post you first put it in quotation marks and then you write your counter argument. Reposting this....tells me nothing. If you don't think I won't watch the rest. You are playing yourself.

It was not quite a repost if you read it carefully. I just wanted to show you that your argument is lacking. I personally really like the show and I think it intentionally is like this. Stuff doesn't have to be constantly happening for it to be entertaining (unless you have the attention span of a 10 years old) - you out of all people should know this, Mr. Lucky Star fan.

Not looking down on you by the way. I enjoyed LS a lot, but I didn't expect it to blow my mind or anything.

Dec 1, 2016 9:26 PM

Jan 2011
Infatuate said:
MasterHavik said:

It was not quite a repost if you read it carefully. I just wanted to show you that your argument is lacking. I personally really like the show and I think it intentionally is like this. Stuff doesn't have to be constantly happening for it to be entertaining (unless you have the attention span of a 10 years old) - you out of all people should know this, Mr. Lucky Star fan.

Not looking down on you by the way. I enjoyed LS a lot, but I didn't expect it to blow my mind or anything.
Well...for starters Lucky Star is very different from the show and shouldn't be compared to it. That show is well liked for different reasons. What is my argument lacking? I just said it was pretty but boring and wasn't doing anything besides just showing off what they can do next with their animation. Am I right? Of course not. You can still like this. I'm saying what I think as of right now. It's pretty but boring. I don't see how you can argue that when this isn't the first time a Japanese team just wanted to draw cool shit at the sake of subpar to bad writing.

I feel the show is just simple and mundane. Let's go to random worlds for no reason and do something for 22 minutes. Keep in mind this show is I-fi while last I check Lucky star wasn't. You been here since 2012 and you can't read genres bro?
Dec 1, 2016 9:27 PM

Jan 2011
drgy55 said:
Sorry everyone's hating on you man, I also found it fairly boring after 3 episodes... lol. It gets much better, by I'd say episode 5 or 6 things will start to click more, you'll recognize the themes, the action gets better and your overall understanding of the show improves. By episode 9, the latest episode, I'm actually very into the show. Keep going!
Well the first defensive tech of the modern anime fan is to just randomly bash and shit on that person for trashing any new show that they love. I got the same shit with Yuri on Ice all because I said the gay elements get in the way of the show from being great.
Dec 1, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2014
Wait, you guys really think the animation is good? I find it utterly sloppy and cartoonish. Everything moves in such a sketchy way that the characters' gestures are often improbable. The art direction is good, but the color palet is boring.
Dec 1, 2016 9:33 PM

Jan 2011
Hrybami said:
Wait, you guys really think the animation is good? I find it utterly sloppy and cartoonish. Everything moves in such a sketchy way that the characters' gestures are often improbable. The art direction is good, but the color palet is boring.
I think that is the intention actually..........All of that is done on purpose.

Also it's one of the shows that animation has been on point since episode 1.
Dec 1, 2016 10:08 PM

Nov 2008
Hrybami said:
the animation is poor

.....are you high?

You don't know SHIT about animation if you think Flip Flapper's is "poor". :I

Dec 1, 2016 10:20 PM

Jan 2011
Chiibi said:
Hrybami said:
the animation is poor

.....are you high?

You don't know SHIT about animation if you think Flip Flapper's is "poor". :I
I second this comment. That is straight ignorant to say.
Dec 1, 2016 10:28 PM

Jun 2015
MasterHavik said:
drgy55 said:
Well the first defensive tech of the modern anime fan is to just randomly bash and shit on that person for trashing any new show that they love. I got the same shit with Yuri on Ice all because I said the gay elements get in the way of the show from being great.

Yah, I know, I think that's just forums that consist mainly of teenagers/young adults in general though. Totally agree about Yuri on Ice... it either should have been a sport you could take seriously with guys in it or just had a female cast. I can't get into it :/

Hrybami said:

I guess liking it is always going to be subjective, but objectively Flip Flappers animation is "good" because it has a lot of motion. It's like Kill la Kill; while the art may not be crazy, digital, lighting extravaganza, the actual animation is happening a lot more than in most anime with pretty-looking still frames. That constant motion is very time-consuming and difficult to do, but it's necessary to sell the style. The cartoony-ness doesn't make it any worse, I don't even understand that statement lol that's just the style of the show. It's no easier to make fluid cartoony animation than it is to make stiff, realistic animation.
Dec 1, 2016 11:05 PM

Jan 2011
drgy55 said:
MasterHavik said:

Yah, I know, I think that's just forums that consist mainly of teenagers/young adults in general though. Totally agree about Yuri on Ice... it either should have been a sport you could take seriously with guys in it or just had a female cast. I can't get into it :/

Hrybami said:

I guess liking it is always going to be subjective, but objectively Flip Flappers animation is "good" because it has a lot of motion. It's like Kill la Kill; while the art may not be crazy, digital, lighting extravaganza, the actual animation is happening a lot more than in most anime with pretty-looking still frames. That constant motion is very time-consuming and difficult to do, but it's necessary to sell the style. The cartoony-ness doesn't make it any worse, I don't even understand that statement lol that's just the style of the show. It's no easier to make fluid cartoony animation than it is to make stiff, realistic animation.
Here's the kicker about YOI.I said multiple times I still like the shows. Also some of the people who have attacked are shockingly around my age. (I'm 23). Shit it is like a cruse to actually be critical of a show.
Dec 2, 2016 4:31 AM

Jul 2015
Yeah I see what you're saying. The plot is quite thin and the narrative from episode to episode is a bit jerky. Characters are ok but nothing special and it's very unclear how it will all tie together by episode 12.

Still one of the better anime this year though imo.
Dec 2, 2016 6:15 AM

Sep 2014
drgy55 said:
MasterHavik said:

Hrybami said:

You may be right that the animation can be difficult to create. But I strongly feel that the overall result is actually bad. There are too much lighting and shining. Like so much lighting and shining that in episode 3 both Cocona and Papika were transformed into coloured beam while fighting together. It may be made on purpose, but I feel that it was badly animated on purpose. I can only give credit to the art direction. But the key frames screw it all because they lack in the attention of details. The backgrounds are creative, it's true, but it's poorly drawn. In the result, Flip Flappers is ugly and it couldn't be saved by the animation because it exaggeratedly is extravagant in a bad way.
Dec 2, 2016 8:19 AM

Jan 2014
Well, most people do find pure genius boring :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2016 8:30 AM

Jan 2011
MagicalMahou said:
Well, most people do find pure genius boring :/
Funny since I don't find PSG and KLK boring and I consider them pure genius.

BlueBalls said:
Yeah I see what you're saying. The plot is quite thin and the narrative from episode to episode is a bit jerky. Characters are ok but nothing special and it's very unclear how it will all tie together by episode 12.

Still one of the better anime this year though imo.
Yeah, I'll keep watching but it reminds me of RWBY with how anything they try to get deep they just try to rush through it to get to the next fight scene.
Dec 2, 2016 2:19 PM

Nov 2008
Hrybami said:
The backgrounds are creative, it's true, but it's poorly drawn. In the result, Flip Flappers is ugly and it couldn't be saved by the animation because it exaggeratedly is extravagant in a bad way.

Um......you don't have good taste. Just saying. Lol

ChiibiDec 2, 2016 2:25 PM

Dec 3, 2016 8:35 AM
Apr 2014
Perfectly valid opinion, and you're more than entitled to it. Might I advise the episode-per-episode discussion threads on Reddit? There're a lot of really smart people there and I appreciate and enjoy the show a lot more after I started looking around there a bit.
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Dec 3, 2016 10:46 AM

Jan 2011
UnleashTheGoat said:
Perfectly valid opinion, and you're more than entitled to it. Might I advise the episode-per-episode discussion threads on Reddit? There're a lot of really smart people there and I appreciate and enjoy the show a lot more after I started looking around there a bit.
Oh where is it? Do I just type in Flip flappers in reddit?
Dec 3, 2016 12:18 PM

Dec 2014
SakurasouBusters said:

but then again isn't the storyline a bit lacking
Dec 3, 2016 12:33 PM

Jan 2011
ibraheem234 said:
SakurasouBusters said:

Shh....being negative is taboo to the modern anime fan. Even if it is a sound complain and not. "Durr why is the mc a girl?!"
Dec 3, 2016 12:37 PM

Aug 2013
Hrybami said:
while the animation is poor and the art is boring.

Top quality bait, seriously.

Chiibi said:
Hrybami said:
The backgrounds are creative, it's true, but it's poorly drawn. In the result, Flip Flappers is ugly and it couldn't be saved by the animation because it exaggeratedly is extravagant in a bad way.

Um......you don't have good taste. Just saying. Lol

He probably likes wooden CG shit. Seriously, if someone is calling Flip Flappers ugly with poor animation, then he is literally blind.
rsc-plDec 3, 2016 1:51 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 3, 2016 12:58 PM
Oct 2010
rsc-pl said:

He probably likes wooden CG shit. Seriously, if someone is calling Flip Flappers ugly with poor animation, them he is literally blind.

Looking at his list, it's not C.G. but P.A. Works' animation, which is mostly hand drawn.

Regardless, it would be pretty close minded to rank according to the resemblance to a single style... like that, even Munch or Van Gogh's works could be "poorly drawn" >_>
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Dec 3, 2016 1:05 PM

Jun 2013
MasterHavik said:
ibraheem234 said:

Shh....being negative is taboo to the modern anime fan. Even if it is a sound complain and not. "Durr why is the mc a girl?!"

I have no problem with you having a negative opinion, i just disagree. I do not think the storyline is lacking, just requires a bit more thought than most.
Dec 3, 2016 1:16 PM

Feb 2013
5 episodes in and so far is fun to watch, and the Yuri vibes makes it even more good. I think its an anime mean to follow the flow without over thinking much

Dec 3, 2016 1:24 PM

Jan 2011
SakurasouBusters said:
MasterHavik said:

I have no problem with you having a negative opinion, i just disagree. I do not think the storyline is lacking, just requires a bit more thought than most.
Well to have said thought there needs to be some symbolism or something in the background to help me. There is reason FNAF theory videos are still popular because the creator of that game leaves a lot of secrets and beard chumps for the fans.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

0 by Pish_Posh »»
Dec 3, 2023 7:37 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

189 by Atsunome »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.