Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Furi Kuri Episode 6 Discussion

Apr 14, 2018 8:30 PM
Why the fuck is this anime rated 8.00 when it sucks? Like, what

May 23, 2018 12:01 PM

Well, that was weird. Although pretty interesting overall, definitely worth a rewatch. 6/10 so far, but I am sure it will rise after a rewatch.
Badass music, tho.

Sep 10, 2018 4:48 PM

Okay, I'm done with my rewatch and leave it at 4/10 as before. Plus the things I wrote in the episode 1 discussion still stands.
FLCL is nothing else than a big promotional video for "The Pillows" and to show off Production I.G.'s versatility. In those aspects it can shine. However, story, characters and presentation range from below average to absolute abysmal.

Dec 26, 2018 4:34 PM

I think the last few episodes have done a great service to this series
however, many questions are left.
The art, and sounds are absolutely 10/10
it's the story and characters that leave me dumbfounded
I give it a high 7, low 8.

Jan 6, 9:34 AM

I have a lot of issues with this series but I will give it high marks on music, voice acting, animation, and that's about it.

The story itself made some sense, but it really delivered nothing.

It's like SoL but instead of Moe you get sexual frustration and the things I listed above. The characters might be why. I just don't give a shit about any of them.

A poor story that was superbly executed.

Jan 20, 5:46 AM

I really don't understand! Why is this overrated? The only good thing here is the soundtrack.. i don't like it and i don't understand it. Please explain why is it good?
まだまだだね ~

Jan 20, 8:51 AM

@YamEnele Even people who despise it easily noticed several good elements other than the soundtrack. Liking something or not has nothing to do with it being good and deserving a good score (like in school).

I'm sure you can find some beginnings of tracks to explore here but here is a review: http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/flcl/ It's way too enthusiastic at times though, this one would be a better example: http://scythe.net/archen/reviews/anime/flcl.html
@CodeBlazeFate, once a proud anti-Furikuri (see https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=226248 ) who came to accept the fact this GAINAX product had actual qualities, might be able to expose things better to you than me who gis a fervent 80s to 00s GAINAX follower.

CodeBlazeFate said:
people only start gping “holy shit that’s high; this has GOTTA be good, right?” at around 8.50+, with lile the top 100-200s.

But...

This HAS TO be good, right?!?

July 4, 2019
@St0rmblade You have a slight chance to (moderately) appreciate Alternative (either as a US 6TVeps or a jap.2h movie)
Modified by Rei366, Jul 3, 10:36 PM

Jan 20, 9:33 AM

YamEnele said:
I really don't understand! Why is this overrated? The only good thing here is the soundtrack.. i don't like it and i don't understand it. Please explain why is it good?
The visuals are often varied and some of the most fluid of the past 2 decades, with several techniques that have rare or never been attempted again since, and many incredibly-well animated and imaginative action sequences. It took until a second viewing for me to appreciate the symbolic coming-of-age storyline to any extent whatsoever, but it's pretty tightly constructed amidst all the chaos. Granted, the early episodes still turn me off and a lot of the characters are kinda eh, but the writing and visual prowess are both tight as all hell. It's certainly a unique and passionate production to be sure, even though it can feel kinda alienating.

Thanks for the shoutout @Rei366
"Anti-elitists" are the true elitists of this community. They're the kind of people that remind me that the elitist stereotype they perpetuate basically doesn't exist, and those who use it to scapegoat embody practically every trait they put into the stereotype, as they sit in their ivory tower looking down at and attacking people they disagree with because they're being negative on a show they like, and their favorites list is comprised of at least one non-mainstream classic, all the while cowering at the idea of those people giving them a taste of their own medicine. Also, objectivity in art is relative, therefore arguable, not nonexistent.

Jan 20, 10:54 PM

Rei366 said:
@YamEnele Even people who despise it easily noticed several good elements other than the soundtrack. Liking something or not has nothing to do with it being good and deserving a good score (like in school).

I'm sure you can find some beginnings of tracks to explore here but here is a review: http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/flcl/ It's way too enthusiastic at times though, this one would be a better example: http://scythe.net/archen/reviews/anime/flcl.html
@CodeBlazeFate, once a proud anti-Furikuri (see https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=226248 ) who came to accept the fact this GAINAX product had actual qualities, might be able to expose things better to you than me who gis a fervent 80s to 00s GAINAX follower.

Ohh.. thanks for explaining.. I'm agree that the animation is good ;) but sometimes it's OA but still I like the animation.. the story, it's weird and have double meaning? I just don't understand it all. hahaha
まだまだだね ~

Jan 20, 11:00 PM

@CodeBlazeFate
I kind of understand it now.. but 8.07 is so high! The animation and soundtrack is good.. the story is mehh? Hahaha
まだまだだね ~

Jan 21, 11:08 AM

YamEnele said:
@CodeBlazeFate
I kind of understand it now.. but 8.07 is so high! The animation and soundtrack is good.. the story is mehh? Hahaha
8.07 is pretty high but people only start gping “holy shit that’s high; this has GOTTA be good, right?” at around 8.50+, with like the top 100-200s.

@Rei366 lol Eva da GOAT
Modified by CodeBlazeFate, Jan 21, 7:13 PM
"Anti-elitists" are the true elitists of this community. They're the kind of people that remind me that the elitist stereotype they perpetuate basically doesn't exist, and those who use it to scapegoat embody practically every trait they put into the stereotype, as they sit in their ivory tower looking down at and attacking people they disagree with because they're being negative on a show they like, and their favorites list is comprised of at least one non-mainstream classic, all the while cowering at the idea of those people giving them a taste of their own medicine. Also, objectivity in art is relative, therefore arguable, not nonexistent.

Apr 1, 12:02 AM

Re watching this brought me back to this nice soundtrack and animation along with getting tons of references I missed during my first watch. Very good series and I can't wait to start working on watching the sequels.

May 3, 7:20 AM

I don't know what to feel about this anime. I appreciate it a lot, but it was a load of barnacles. Sure, loads of character development, fast-paced story, symbolism and whatever, but it felt boring. How did I make it lol
+ No need to thank me for reviving this thread!

Jul 2, 10:30 AM

What a weird conclusion to a weird show. I watched this for my 2019 AWC and because I wanted to understand all of the hooplah about this show. Episode discussion first, then I will give my final thoughts and final score for FLCL.

I wish I had gotten chopstick courses in high school. Maybe then I would actually know how to use them. I'm curious where Canti and Haruko went (even after watching the conclusion to the show). Poor Mamimi getting splashed. That would easily ruin my day. Interesting justification for being called the "Pirate King." I love that they brought back the manga style. I knew it was coming too as soon as he walked down the stairs. What... does Furi Kuri mean? Where did Mamimi get all of the cell phones from? Didn't realize Mamimi had a revenge list. Naota and Mamimi are homeless now. Nice. As convoluted as that hamster story was, it also conveyed a nice message. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't the giant hand using the Medical Mechanica facility as a fucking clothes iron. Another stellar action scene. Nothing to say there. That ending left quite a bit to be desired, though. I've never been the biggest fan of "open-to-interpretation" endings.

FLCL is a very weird show, I think we can all agree on that. On a technical level, the show approaches levels of flawlessness I have seen in very few televised shows (although if we want to be technical, this was an OVA so higher animation quality is sort of expected). The animation quality was better than some high budget MOVIES I have seen, and I believe the show deserves to be commended there. The soundtrack was phenomenal, but the voice-acting (sub) left a lot to be desired. My biggest gripes come from the storytelling, which while likely intentionally experimental and convoluted, was far too confusing for a meaningful story to be conveyed. In my opinion, the ending was shit too. Characters weren't that stellar either, with only Haruko standing out. I also didn't enjoy this as much as other parody type shows I have seen, like my forum avi Gintama. I'll give FLCL a mid-ish 7/10. Pretty good, wouldn't recommend to everyone.

Jul 3, 12:21 PM

Now that I've finished this masterpiece, I look on my 3 Vespa metal models in a whole different light.

Also, I don't understand the people who say they needed several rewatches to grasp the meaning of the show. In my opinion, it's absolutely understandable on the first watch, and I'm talking not about the """random"" part, but the story as well - all you need to do is carefully observe the characters and their interactions with each other, sometimes through various symbolism, which is not that impossible to decypher. It's even easier with director's commentary (which I suggest everyone should listen to). I've bothered to read several in-depth and complete explanations of the show, and I didn't find a lot of info that I hadn't grasped myself already. Still satisfying to read how others perceive the show though.
I should also admit that this ED sticked with me forever, the song goes so good with the visuals, it's the embodiment of what I call "cool". Just 11/10

By the way, I still don't know whether I'll watch the sequels though. I'm already quite frightened by the idea itself, and to make things worse, they seem to have almost no positive response from the fans whatsoever.
Modified by St0rmblade, Jul 4, 12:32 AM

Jul 3, 4:18 PM

I just had a sudden revelation that the last scene from Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 (which was co-directed by Tsurumaki, too) is strikingly similar to episode 6 of FLCL. Wow!

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]