Forum Settings
Forums

Why's everyone so upset? Sunrise would have to try very hard to make "R3" worse than R2

New
Nov 28, 2016 10:57 PM

Nov 2011
Like many of you, I was browsing the web/reddit, when I stumbled upon the news: Another season of Code Geass. Imagine my surprise when most of the comments are about “ruining the perfect ending”. I was dumbfounded, there was near universal loathing of the ending when it first aired, how on earth do so many people enjoy that locomotive accident of an ending?
The ending was a rushed, convoluted mess that threw out good story telling in favor of a tidy wrap up. While there are a plethora of problems with R2 and specifically the ending, I wanna talk about the common mistakes I see people overlook: characterization and lack of tension.

In regards to characterization, I feel most people miss this crucial yet simple point:
Lelouch has never cared for anyone outside of his close friends and family.
Yet somehow the ending was all about Lelouch sacrificing his own life for the sake of the greater good, a noble act, but wholly inconsistent with his characterization.
The opening narration from R1 made Lelouch’s motivations incredibly clear: he’s trying to take revenge for his mother and sister. Nearly everyone else is meaningless to him, Lelouch repeatedly demonstrates, throughout the entire series, that he is able and willing to throw away the lives of his subordinates and innocents to further his own agenda: the ending of R1 made this abundantly clear when he left the entirety of the Black Knights to die, in order to find his sister.
You might be tempted to argue he grows as a person in R2, but he doesn’t. R2 does nothing to develop Lelouch as a good or selfless person, in fact, it only further emphasizes he is he is driven by protecting his sister and righting the neglect he suffered as a child: all his ramblings about revenge against Brittania is really about retribution against neglectful parents, which he proudly declares before murdering his poor mother and father.
So where did this selfless, worldly, Lelouch come from?
My theory is that the writers wrote Lelouch’s motivations to be so centered on saving his sister and revenge that they couldn’t conceive of Lelouch doing anything that doesn’t relate to those two themes. I don’t see anything else to suggest it’s anything but lazy writing: they needed to find some way to end the show in a manner that’s more satisfying than our “hero” banishing two senior citizens to the shadow realm. So they completely rewrote Lelouch (and Suzaku), threw in Schneizel as the final boss, wrote a rushed (4 episode) final arc, and called it a day.

People die when they are killed, except when they don’t
I can already see some of the comments saying “Lelouch did what he did to make a better world for Nunally”, but how could he? When he formulated his grand scheme with Suzaku, Nunally was believed to be dead. Before the ass pull that was the final 10 minutes, there was nothing to suggest Lelouch wasn’t wiping out all opposition because that’s just all he knows how to do, he kills people in his way. Speaking of which, how did Nunally survive the nuclear blast? For that matter, how did Suzaku survive the Lancelot explosion, and Cornellea a barrage of bullets? Have they not read Fate/stay?
I believe Redlettermedia said something along the lines of “the death of a character is the point in which the author can no longer use that character to further the narrative.” The surviving characters are forced to go on without the recently deceased, and this makes for some of the most powerful drama (see: Suzaku in R1). You see, there’s a trade-off: you lose a character but get a temporary boost in drama, but you can’t have it both ways - you can’t double dip by killing off a character to advance the plot, then bring that character back, later on, to advance the plot some more. Doing that
R2 as a whole is terrible because it laughs at the rules of death and every important character is wearing plot armor thicker than Kallen’s booty. I find it incredibly ironic that people are complaining about this new series revealing that Lelouch (somehow) cheated death at the end of R2 – were they not paying attention to the rest of the series at all? Fool you six times, shame on you.

“R2 tied up all the loose ends”
Did it? What was CC’s name? What was the source of the Geass, they allude to so many details at the last few episodes of R1 that never has any pay off. Did Nunally’s maid survive? Considering Lelouch was 30 something in line for the throne, are we expected to believe all 30 other claimants just let Nunally take the throne? How many more resurrections will it take for Orange be more machine than man? There were more questions left unanswered than answers left at the end of the series.
People often talk about how the middle of R2 was the low point but I don’t see it, frankly, I’d say the middle section was forgettable, after having watching the mess that was the ending. Sure, the middle section of R2 was a boring filler grind, but it wasn’t until the final half did the train fully go off the rails.
Considering the benchmarks set by R1, R2 was a massive disappointment on every level. All that being said, I’m excited for the new season, because we’ve already hit rock bottom, and it can only go up from here.
Nov 29, 2016 2:03 AM
Nov 2010
I bet you're gonna rant on here the second the premiere airs just to complain about how much of a 'trainwreck' it is.

1. It's simple and you said it yourself. Since Lelouch believed that Nunally was dead, he wanted to do what was in his power to bring world peace. I mean, why not? What else is he going to do. And after Schneizel revealed that Nunally was alive and on his side, he even had that conversation with C.C when he was unsure whether he could sacrifice Nunally for the Requiem; he decided he had to otherwise everyone would have died in vain. Essentially, he wanted to honour Nunally's death by making up for all the evil that he committed and create the 'gentle, peaceful world' that she longed for.

2. Stop quoting that dumb meme. Yes, some characters have plot armor (like Xingke), but all other instances can be easily explained, like Nunally's miraculous survival. Maybe a Knightmare came in at the last second to save them? I mean, Gilford did the exact same thing. Use your brain please. Not everyone has to be spoonfed to you.

3. C.C's name is irrelevant LOL, that's the whole point. It was her human name, is C.C a human? NO. Does she want to be human? NO. Can she even remember her life as a human? NO. Then what would be the point in revealing it?

Schneizel launched a FLEIJA on Pendragon; it is assumed that it killed everyone in the Brittanian royal family, bar Schneizel and Nunally. Naturally, it means she will be the new Empress.

So yeah, before you go on this mindless tirade bashing Code Geass like all of the sheeple, actually think about this logically for once. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you will be able to handle another season of this great series.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Nov 29, 2016 2:06 AM

Dec 2013
Isn't this just a your review of R2?
Nov 29, 2016 2:30 AM

Mar 2014
Implying R2 wasn't good.
Nov 29, 2016 2:58 AM

Jan 2013
I blame the higher ups in Sunrise for stretching the episodes from its original count.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Nov 29, 2016 3:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I have a hard time believing you "just" found out R2's ending is generally very well received
Feb 4, 2017 11:41 AM

Feb 2015
Everyone is so upset because they simply had a different opinion than yours, and actually liked R2.
It's hard to believe that different opinions exist, I know. But the world is a very complicated place.
sky977Feb 4, 2017 11:44 AM
Feb 8, 2017 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
I don't get the meaning of so and so.Without R2, the whole series couldn't able to be so impressive.It helped to strengthen the whole series plot overall.

But r3... well its gonna be seinen sadly.

All anime does have little or more plot hole, which acctually most of time make it much better and fun to watch.

Dont try to analysis too much on anime since it meant to entertain others.
Feb 8, 2017 5:56 PM
Jul 2018

BB-8 has had enough of Lelouch's shit.
Feb 11, 2017 12:51 AM
Nov 2016
Nope, the ending was THE BEST EVER.....
May 19, 2017 6:10 PM
Nov 2010
AmMar-Sama said:
Fundog said:
What else is he going to do.

"Let's make everyone hate me and save the world because, I mean, why not?"
Yeah, sure. That makes perfect sense and is totally consistent with his personality. No doubt.

Fundog said:

Does she want to be human? NO.

Um, the impression I got was the complete opposite though?
How can you be so sure and answer the question with a "no", that's in capital letters, even? Explain.

Going by the logic of the third point, the whole setup with C2's past and her 'true wish' will be meaningless.

Lelouch isn't doing it for himself, he's doing it for C.C. It's called character development. It is the first selfless action he's made, while condemning Suzaku to a life of solitude as well for betraying him.

Because she has reiterated countless times throughout the series that she left her humanity behind when she became a witch. Spending an eternity with Lelouch doesn't change that.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Hyuse - Feb 24, 2019

217 by Dekuuchiha »»
Feb 24, 3:22 PM

» why it's not considered as sequel to 2nd season of original series???

NaughtySempai - May 21, 2021

12 by Leonhart93 »»
Jan 3, 6:27 AM

Poll: » If you were Lelouch, what decision would you choose?

Sanjay63773 - Jan 19, 2023

10 by Leonhart93 »»
Jan 3, 6:26 AM

» Code Geass: Dakkan no Z

quercifolia - Sep 19, 2023

5 by quercifolia »»
Oct 1, 2023 7:45 AM

» Why did they did not continue original timeline? What's up this alternate timeline crap?!?

AnimeJunki3 - Apr 19, 2021

35 by WNightfall »»
Apr 15, 2023 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.