Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 1 Discussion

Sep 29, 2016 7:40 AM

I felt crushed when the other Nagato cried while taking the club application.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Oct 28, 2016 8:59 PM

Hands down the best anime movie I've seen.

I loved every second of it. Haruhi looked gorgeous with long hair. I really feel sorry for the alternate Yuki though. Seemed like she wanted Kyon all for herself.

Dec 20, 2016 1:04 PM

This is the fourth year i been rewatching this movie and i never get tired of it . Well see this discussion next december i guess .
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku

Dec 25, 2016 9:54 PM

Rewatched for the fifth time
Wow
Modified by Aure0lin, Dec 26, 2016 7:00 AM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Jan 17, 2017 8:29 PM

Would be a 10/10 (and listed in my faves) if not for its use of causal loop time travel.

Besides that, Kouyouen Haruhi is Best Haruhi.

9/10

Jan 24, 2017 9:52 AM

Everything wrong with the series was right at this movie, i didn't like series much so wasn't planning to watch movie but thankfully i did.

Since i didn't like series i wasn't expecting something that good , this changed my bad view on haruhi series.

can't say 10/10 9.35 for me, well it's closer to 9 so giving 9 also +fav

Feb 3, 2017 10:18 PM
...When discussing works concerning Suzumiya Haruhi, one can never forget the very content and inherent material in the storyline, and the characters themselves. Forgive me if others have posted these, but I do find them relevant, and, to me, interesting.

...Since we are dealing with time travel, aliens, sliders and espers as the main characters, as well as one who has the ability to alter reality and recreate the world at a whim, I cite the following possibilities:

...At the end of the film, we see Nagato and Kyon atop the hospital, and he passionately speaks of how the group would come to free her if her masters punished her in any way. That deed was already done, for, her very "alteration" of reality created a "Bubble" in which Nagato was encased, trapped, if you will. And she was alone. Only her reality was altered.

...It is also unstable. This can be seen by the rapid degradation of the bubble world, as, there is no "Cold epidemic" causing students to stay home from school. "They" are simply vanishing from the strain due to the energy needed to maintain the bubble world, and non-essential characters are being dropped as a result. If Kyon had not acted as he had, then, eventually, the bubble would have folded in upon itself, and, that world, and all matter within it, would simply have vanished. And her along with it.

...You can see how much energy she had to put into the bubble world to create and maintain it, as, she becomes a mere shadow of her former self, jumping at every sound, and, sitting in that same clubroom, which, due to its familiarity, is the easiest site to maintain. Otherwise, she would probably have gone to the library. "books"... Why, "On Earth", would she make herself such a weak character, otherwise? It makes no sense, unless it is a result of the very process of recreation.

...In a way, therefore, the end of the film is really the beginning of the film's plotline. Remember, we are dealing with time travel here, so, it is theoretically possible that Nagato was "prejudged" BEFORE she actually acted to alter the timeline, and that the bubble world was her "prison". It is also possible that the whole event was an experiment, or a way of testing the convictions and dedications of the group to one another, and, the practicality of recreation of matter on a grand scale. Assuming her masters have the ability to track the timeline from any position on the timeline, that is.

.. The "prison" viewpoint is supported by the presence of Asakura, as, there is no reason at all for Nagato to include her in Nagato's "new world". She is not there to protect Nagato. She is the prison guard, and there to keep others from interfering with either the sentence, or the experiment.

...At any rate, Kyon acts exactly as he says he will, he and the others go and find Nagato and "save" her. To do so they must give up their own awareness of their selves, save for Kyon, who has always been the singular point of stability in the series. They go into the bubble world Nagato has created. It is interesting that when he finally finds Suzumiya, and makes his "John Smith" statement, she picks him up and strikes his forehead with hers. This is a "meeting of the minds". Very symbolic there. Actual physical contact, head to head.

...This is no stretch of the imagination, the action serves no other purpose, but to directly connect their minds. Hey, this is Suzumiya Haruhi here, anything is possible and there are no limitations. This series abound with symbols.

...At the end of the film, we see Kyon awake in the hospital, and he is "back", well, mostly. The final part needed to complete his return to his world is by his side. Suzumiya is in a sleeping bag, but, this is really another symbol. She struggles to free herself as a caterpillar does from its chrysalis, and, emerges, reborn. Very nicely done, and , to me, one of the best scenes in the film.

...Recall how at the beginning of the anime, Kyon is lamenting his lost ideals, and, how meeting Suzumiya slowly renews these, Suzumiya is everything he used to believe in, and, its a yin/yang relationship to the extreme. He is ever reluctant, grouses unceasingly, but goes along with everything eventually, and everyone comes to him with explanations. The practical, conscious mind at work. While she is ultra-enthusiastic, empowered, ever-acting, and innocently unaware. The unconscious mind, free to act, with no thought to consequence. The female side of that creative power recreates the world around, and therefore, within him, as well. After all, that was his wish from the beginning.

...He has been so changed that he laments the loss of talking cats. In a way, it is Kyon who is the formative creative force in the world of Suzumiya Haruhi, taking the uncontrollable creative force she possesses, and slowly shaping it into a more palatable form. He is, therefore, also the galactic diplomat of the group, able to communicate with all interested parties...

...Well, that's enough for now. Might write more sometime....

...Orluni

Apr 9, 2017 8:44 AM

I watched to movie for the first time in years. It's still as amazing, if not, even more so, as back then! Although it was more aggravating this time around seeing Kyon lose all common sense for the first half, I'd sill give it a 10/10!

Jun 3, 2017 6:15 PM

I didn't even like the original series THAT much but this was perfect.

Jul 8, 2017 8:40 AM

The only problem with this movie is its length. I mean, it's too short.

Solution: Watch it in a loop. "The Endless Disappearance."
Fun things are still fun.

Jul 27, 2017 6:05 PM
It's was an amazing movie, I didn't read the novel, but I think that was one of the best adaptation for a anime, i've ever watched. I love the plot from Suzumiya, the characters, but the thing impressed me was the history, the way that the world from Kyon change, and the reason for that. Congrulations for the screenwriter was a masterpiece.

Jul 30, 2017 12:04 PM

This was really great and I'm happy it almost reached my expectations. Gave the first season a 7 and the second a 6 but this is truly a 9/10 and my 5th favourite anime movie now.

The story was interesting and gave Yuki more of a character, which I loved. The animation was also stunning compared to the series. Also made Kyon one of my favourite male MCs where the series didn't.
Modified by Pixel_Vapour, Aug 2, 2017 2:00 AM

Aug 2, 2017 1:58 AM

This came out in 2010, holy i feel old. Feels like a lifetime ago since i watched this movie and even now its still one of the best anime movies ever made.

10/10 time to rewatch the series and rewatch this again for the 3rd time.

Aug 28, 2017 8:32 PM
A fenominal end to one of the most lovable groups of characters of all time. I thought the series as a while was pretty good, but the movie was done extraordinarily well. Bravo once again KyoAni

Oct 6, 2017 10:13 AM

Oh wow. Coming from someone who wasn't really a fan of the series, this film was actually pretty damn good. Haruhi was actually kinda endearing here, whereas I couldn't stand her presence in the series.

A part of me still wishes Kyon chose to stay with AU Nagato tho. Poor girl looked devasted when he rejected her invite T^T

Overall a solid 8/10

━━━━ ✿ ━━━━
✮・゚“мy ғavorιтe way тo вlow oғғ ѕтeaм ・゚✮
✮・゚ ιѕ тo ѕιng oвnoхιoυѕly loυd ιn тнe ѕнower” ・゚✮

━━━━ ✿ ━━━━

Nov 9, 2017 4:23 PM

CrimsonResonance said:
Oh wow. Coming from someone who wasn't really a fan of the series, this film was actually pretty damn good. Haruhi was actually kinda endearing here, whereas I couldn't stand her presence in the series.

A part of me still wishes Kyon chose to stay with AU Nagato tho. Poor girl looked devasted when he rejected her invite T^T

Overall a solid 8/10

Fortunately the main Yuki is the same as the AU one. She confirms this when she mentions how she had malfunctioned causing her personality change. Basically she altered the world and then removed her own memories so that she could live a normal life alongside Kyon in the new world, but she purposefully left the emergency exit for Kyon to find if he ever decided he wanted the world to return to how it was. It's likely that the present Yuki remembers the time when she possessed feelings but it could be interpreted that she still has the feelings she gained since she thanks Kyon at the end.

Nov 14, 2017 2:08 AM

Solid 10/10, no other words can describe this other than it being a masterpiece.

Mind = blown, I honestly feel as if season 1 and 2 were merely appetizers for the events of this movie because everything here encapsulated what the series was all about.

2 hours and 42 mins of perfect storytelling and stretching the boundaries of what the series is about.
~

Nov 26, 2017 4:23 PM

I thought season 1 and 2 were pretty dissapointing, I rated them 6 and 4 respectively so naturally I didn’t expect much out of this movie despite the praise it receives, but now I can say it was definitely worth watching them just for this movie, which was absolutely amazing.

Watching the SOS Brigade’s antics through Kyon’s perspective was a blast and overall I thought he was a great character, however by the final episode he was still lacking for me to consider him a favourite. This movie fully raised my opinion of him from good to possibly an all-time favourite. Kyon and Yuki’s development was excellent and added much more depth to them, which is exactly what this series needed. Kyon’s inner conflict was fantastic and the hospital rooftop scene with him and Yuki was executed perfectly. This gets a well-deserved 9/10 from me.

Dec 28, 2017 1:45 AM

Hououin_Razin said:
This is the fourth year i been rewatching this movie and i never get tired of it . Well see this discussion next december i guess .
hey me from the past
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku

Jan 4, 2018 9:20 AM

A freaking great watch. Everything that has happened in the series, all of it, all of it has led up to this masterpiece. Kyon's increasing problem with the world he lives in has been resolved, Nagato's increasing emotional instability has been resolved... The post-credits scene especially, Nagato lifts her head up to read, after seeing the children fill out a library card, instead of keeping her head down. Now that, if that isn't a great metaphor, I don't know what is.

This movie really played with my emotions. Kyon missing the ball kicked to him by Taniguchi was so hilariously relatable and well-timed that I actually laughed, out loud, for quite some time after, and then Kyon being stabbed by Ryoko... I was extremely shocked for a moment or too - I really didn't expect that (in fact I'd actually saw a screencap of that moment by accident but I completely forgot about, I'm glad I did) and it makes perfect sense for the character to do that too... That was probably just as large as a revelation as it turned out Nagato to be the cause of the change...

Of course, I wouldn't say it was perfect (other people have mentioned by criticisms). But, it is definitely the pinnacle of the Haruhi series. It gave me some thinking to do of my own, my place in the world. Agh, I can't stop writing about it! I guess I'll stop myself here. It was great. Not the best, but very, very close. That scene when Kyon was asking himself... that art direction... agh - I'm talking about it again...

9/10. If I could experience the entire Haruhi series for the first time again, I would. I need to stop now.

Jan 10, 2018 12:59 AM
Would off prefer this arc over the endless eight but then again without the endless 8 or endless 15000+ for Nagato this arc probably would have never occurred.
Heckle was here...

Jan 21, 2018 4:29 PM

Still don't get where they come from and which ones are the Kyon and Mikuru(young) that Kyon sees and hears before losing his senses because been stabbed. ??
Sorry if it was already explained in this discussion but I couldn't find it :/

Jan 27, 2018 5:34 PM

yukigrein said:
Still don't get where they come from and which ones are the Kyon and Mikuru(young) that Kyon sees and hears before losing his senses because been stabbed. ??
Sorry if it was already explained in this discussion but I couldn't find it :/
it was explained in the movie where kyon talks about going back in time at the end. he even repeats what he'll say to his past self

were u even paying attention
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Feb 2, 2018 1:40 AM
well... this might not be appreciated by everyone but i really really had a tough time finished the 2 seasons of suzumiya but just wanted to get to the movie cause it had such a high rating.. and it didn't disappoint..
it really shows the melancholy to it's utmost perfection.. this series would've been my favorite if it had the same mood as in the movie.. was something of a long run i mean.. almost 3 hours movie but i really liked it.. way better than the series in my opinion

Mar 26, 2018 9:01 PM
Wait wait wait, did I miss a part of the movie? I just watched it and I thought that Kyon's future self went back in time (Kyon's THIRD time) to pick up the syringe gun from the present Kyon who was bleeding to death on the pavement. This future Kyon probably got the job done and that was why the present Kyon kept mentioning about going back in time again and how the world can wait for him to go back in time after he eats Haruhi's hotpot.

Mar 27, 2018 6:08 PM
Weaboo_Zhao said:
Wait wait wait, did I miss a part of the movie? I just watched it and I thought that Kyon's future self went back in time (Kyon's THIRD time) to pick up the syringe gun from the present Kyon who was bleeding to death on the pavement. This future Kyon probably got the job done and that was why the present Kyon kept mentioning about going back in time again and how the world can wait for him to go back in time after he eats Haruhi's hotpot.

Yes, you didn't miss a thing. Except the one shot alt Yuki is a different person.

May 12, 2018 4:17 PM

How can I not love Yuki after all that she is definitely the best girl damn it that Asakura evil smile.
This movie blew me away I didn't expected to be this good, alot or scenes stood out and felt really epic to me 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 21, 2018 11:36 AM

Ngnl 0 ,a silent voice,and the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya are officially my top 3 best anime movies

Dec 3, 2018 8:15 PM
Well, that's the end of my binge. What a ride. The movie was fucking great and return to form after that awful second season.

Still, I sort of feel empty now. The anime is done but I feel like it was missing a satisfactory conclusion and it's bothering me. I want more Haruhi, need more Idk, finality to the series. Just doesn't feel right it ending like that.

Mar 20, 7:45 AM

The movies is the only good parts of the franchise besides endless ate.

May 3, 2:24 PM
Do i need to watch season 1 first?

May 28, 5:14 PM
Amazing movie. The only reason I got into Haruhi was because of this movie; I went into so much trouble only for one movie but it actually paid off.

I loved how Yuki was a main character in this movie, it made me have a reason to like her, before this I only found her cool; even to sympathize with her. Kyon was amazing too. During all of the tv series I wished the relationship between them could develop and it finally happened.

"Disappearance" looks gorgeous: everyone looks so alive that I could feel what they were feeling. Outstanding work by KyoAni. 8/10.

Jun 24, 9:40 PM

This movie is arguably still be the most beloved amongst our dear reviewers until this day.

Sep 5, 8:19 PM

My favorite anime/movie of all time. It's perfect in all aspects for me. I hope one day Kyoani will adapt more of this series

Pages (19) « First ... « 17 18 [19]