Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 5, 2010 8:53 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this highly anticipated movie has finally hit the Japanese theaters, Im sure the question many people are asking is...was it any good?
Although I would say im bracing for epic based on the OST + trailers + screens + reading the novel I wonder if anyone lucky enough has already gone and watched this 2 hour and 43 minute event. And of course, give us your thoughts on it.

I guess the best we can do for now is wait for a camrip soon(not likely) or for the DVD/BD months from now
game8910Feb 6, 2010 10:58 AM
Feb 6, 2010 1:05 AM

May 2007
I just watched the movie this afternoon. I did not read the novel so I knew nothing excepted it was about Haruhi's disappearance, but I thought the story was pretty good. Didn't seem so long either, but some scenes were amazingly epic. I think that Kyon and Yuki are my favorite characters, now. :3
Feb 7, 2010 4:35 AM

Dec 2007
Kyon-kun asa da yo, okite~!

Amazing movie, it was a perfect adaptation of the novel . In fact, I feel like I like the movie is better than the novel because some scenes were just amazingly well done, and felt more intense than the novel counterparts.
The production values are of course top-notch, this being a KyoAni production and all.

Also, as expected, Yuki moe overload. And long haired Haruhi キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!!!
yakisobapanFeb 7, 2010 7:55 AM
Feb 7, 2010 8:23 AM

Nov 2009
I read the novel again yesterday just because I wished I could be watching the movie.....

At this point I'd watch a shitty camera rip.

I'm hoping that in like a couple months a copy of the DVD, not for sale, will be circulated very low key by top KyoAni members. Then one of them will rip it for us! This is how most movies in theaters now (at least in the states) get pirated before the official DVD release.

Of course that is just my wishful thinking.....

/me wants movie
Feb 7, 2010 11:16 PM

Jan 2007
Watched it yesterday. And of course it was fucking awesome. Yuki was definitely the star of this movie. Certainly a moe overload. Have no real complaints other than the soundtrack.
Feb 12, 2010 11:30 AM

Jan 2009
Faust721 said:
Watched it yesterday. And of course it was fucking awesome. Yuki was definitely the star of this movie. Certainly a moe overload. Have no real complaints other than the soundtrack.

What's wrong with the soundtracks? I've listened several time movie OST and it's really great. Well, unless you dislike orchestra then that explains why. Seriously to say, I can't even imagine how some people can dislike orchestra. :/

Anyway, can't wait for DVD rip and cam rip(if there's going to be one which I highly doubt).
Feb 14, 2010 11:21 AM

Nov 2009
Like Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody(2nd favourite story after... well, you know) I'm really looking forward to it. But I want to know what differences there was with the new Bouken Desho Desho?

Feb 14, 2010 1:47 PM

Nov 2009
To all of you who are like me, going crazy waiting for a chance to view this movie, a word of advice; don't read the novel.

I read The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi again and let me tell you, it only made me want to the see the movie EVEN MORE. This wait just became exponentially longer and harder for me (pause). Seriously, biggest mistake I've made in 2010 was rereading that novel.... I want to see the movie so baddddddd
Feb 15, 2010 7:36 AM
Sep 2009
Yesterday, I watched this movie. I fell unconscious and crying.
It is faithful to the original animation was created.
And really felt the spirit of Kyoto Animation.
Still, the scene of snow falling above the Yuki and Kyon ・・・・T.T

I'm sorry in poor English.
Feb 17, 2010 6:59 AM
May 2009
I watched this movie last week in Kawasaki. When op song "bouken desho desho" was playing, I felt our haruhi had come back!! A lot of people in the theater seemed to be moved. The most impressive scene is that Kyon pushed Enter key, which is button to return to previous world.

This movie reminds me that haruhi is in a class of my own.
Feb 18, 2010 7:29 AM

Mar 2008
REALLY epic movie!!
Alt-Nagato is extra moe!
and Kyon did good job on his monologue.
Also Ryoko dancing in the end was awesome.

Actually they kept rather faithfull to the novel, which is a good thing.
Yeah, the movie was almost three hours but didn't feel that long.

I think It was sold out on the day I watched it (Shinjuku Wald 9).
Good thing they had online reservation.

"Time is liquid. One moment is no more important than any other and all moments quickly run away."
Apr 2, 2010 8:54 PM

Nov 2007
even with the crap quality, the flickering....and the resolution...it didnt matter...this movie was just incredible...I was left speechless for a lot of moments, and even though I read the novels and I knew what was going to happen, all the good scenes from the novel were just pumped full of steroids for the movie....there is no comparison here, usually the source material is better than the adaptation...but im making an exception here...this movie surpassed what I thought was the best arc of the Haruhi series...things this good dont show up very often...here is a 10/10 for this movie, I guess that makes it the 5th thing I give that score on my list now
Apr 3, 2010 2:09 AM

May 2008
Watched it today along with saka ^^. And of course it was fucking awesome. Yuki was definitely the star of this movie. Certainly a moe overload. Have to rewatch it with better quality but ye so far i enjoyed it was very exciting and had wtf moments lol XD

Haruhi with long hair as well <3
Apr 3, 2010 2:25 AM

Oct 2009
Naratchi said:
You could partially skip through the beginning or something, just to check the quality, and decide on your own if it's worth watching/waiting for the subs.

Oh... 36 minutes. Сould not stop before.
game8910 said:
even with the crap quality, the flickering....and the resolution...it didnt matter...this movie was just incredible...

absolutely agree. amazing thing.
sorry for my english
Apr 3, 2010 2:50 AM

Oct 2009
aeo said:
Naratchi said:
You could partially skip through the beginning or something, just to check the quality, and decide on your own if it's worth watching/waiting for the subs.

Oh... 36 minutes. Сould not stop before.
game8910 said:
even with the crap quality, the flickering....and the resolution...it didnt matter...this movie was just incredible...

absolutely agree. amazing thing.

I watched 23 minutes of it...a whole normal episode. God, I want subs with this, the quality doesn't ruin the giant greatness of the movie, just as you guys say.
Apr 3, 2010 3:59 AM

Jan 2009
Well, I just skimmed through cam rip. Yeah, movie looks incredible. Can't wait DVD/Blu-ray!
Apr 8, 2010 7:37 PM

Jan 2010
Just caved in and watched the camrip version... it only makes me anticipate a proper release more. I can already tell even with the low-res that the animation is great, the characters/VAs are at the top of their game (even without words, knowing the characters/plot/context and a their delivery allows one to get the gist of the conversation), and from what I've heard of the firsthand experience, they didn't sacrifice the plot either. Can't wait for a good-quality release with subs.
Apr 9, 2010 4:26 AM

Nov 2007
I'm liking the movie even though it's camrip right now. Nice Yuki-chan with emotion, very shy~.

I chose to watch raw ver. of camrip instead of sub, but it is worth to wait until DVD release and watch more HQ ver., in raw later.

tsubasaloverApr 9, 2010 8:25 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 9, 2010 5:10 AM

Jan 2009
tsubasalover said:

Gonna rewatch it now with the Mazui subs. I'll probably watch this movie many more times. <3
VinhsterrrApr 9, 2010 5:20 AM
Apr 9, 2010 6:48 AM

Feb 2009
do i need to finish the 2nd season to be able to watch the movie xD?
Apr 9, 2010 7:53 AM

Oct 2009
EuphoricField said:

Nah... not really. The Sighs of Haruhi was only "behind the scenes". I do not need to mention E8. :D
Apr 9, 2010 8:13 AM

Jan 2008
EuphoricField said:

Just watch the 1st episode of s2.

The move was very good, if not great. For now it gets 8/10, will reevaluate after watching it on bluray.

Music was great in building atmosphere and tension. Few epic scenes making it worthy watching in a theater. First 40 minutes or so were terribly boring for me though (prologue).

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 9, 2010 10:52 AM
Apr 2010
shocks......

i didn't saw the hot pot :(......

I want Moar of Haruhi :(......

but i loved Nagato Being Shy LOL hahaha :)

also when kyon woke up and haruhi being hmm :)

Now waiting for the BD/DVD to watch it again :D

CarLoZApr 9, 2010 11:01 AM

My Badge
Apr 9, 2010 10:57 AM

Jan 2009
EuphoricField said:

Just the first episode "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody", it's important. The rest isn't. Watch 2 episodes of Endless Eight (the first and the last), then the rest is alright. It's just the making of 'Episode 00' from Season One. Although, some other stuff happened during filming. The film does takes place after 'Someday After The Rain'.
Apr 9, 2010 11:19 AM

Dec 2009
Just finished it and all I can say is, that it was defenitly worth the waiting. Can´t wait for a version in decent quality!
Apr 9, 2010 1:11 PM

May 2009
when i saw the camrip up with subs i felt like i was going to faint xDDDD i dont mind the poor quality as long as i get to see my cute, shy Nagato *____* ell, i was pleased, i loved the movie, and Yuki's almost crying face when Kyon gives her back the club application made me cry T_T how in Earth can u refuse her?? anyways, loved it, an awesome adaptation *_* me wants next book movified ~w~
Apr 9, 2010 1:36 PM
Sep 2008
CarLoZ said:
shocks......

i didn't saw the hot pot :(......

You already saw the hot pot in ending of the first season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5PAkntjs5M

you can see it at about 0:22 ;)

Oh, and the movie was epic of course! 10/10
-
Apr 9, 2010 4:44 PM

Jan 2009
So I just now finished watching movie. I'll say just this about movie"it's perfect". Personally to me it's the best movie I've ever seen. It's already on my /top 1 favorites anime list. Yeah, it was that good.

Now all that's left DVD/Blu-ray rips. Without a doubt I'll re-watch this movie countless time.

Btw, it was a long time since I watched cam rip release. ;D

stAtic91 said:
SoFarGone said:
subs are already out? Movie came out only a few months ago.
It's a camrip, isn't it? Which means shit quality. Personally I'm going to wait for the DVD.

Even it's shit quality fact won't change that it's awesome.
Apr 9, 2010 5:02 PM

May 2009
OH GOD, THAT WAS AMAZING.

I didn't see ANY OF IT coming.
This is my best accomplishment this year, finishing this movie.
I'm so pathetic.
;_;
Apr 9, 2010 5:51 PM
Jul 2009
The quality was actually bearable. It'll obviously be 100 times better with DVD quality, but nobody should not watch the camrip version. The movie was so... beautiful. They definitely made up for E8 with it.
Apr 9, 2010 7:37 PM

Nov 2008
Finished watching...and it was such a great movie!!!

My two favorite scenes:
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Apr 9, 2010 8:50 PM

Mar 2009
Wow... Just wow...
Loved every moment of it from beginning to end. Perfect.
Apr 9, 2010 9:25 PM

Jul 2009
The first two hours were amazing, but the last 30 minutes absolutely blew me away.

Waiting months and months and months for the dvdrip just for quality's sake is ridiculous, this movie needs to be watched by any Haruhi fan.

Also,
Apr 9, 2010 9:40 PM

Apr 2008
Not bad quite interesting =D better than the tv ... lol (obviously)

Apr 10, 2010 1:02 AM
Jul 2009
you know what caught me off guard?

MAJOR SPOILER.

i missed haruhi with long hair

9/10
Apr 10, 2010 1:07 AM

Nov 2007
That was greatness indeed, I love it when my favorite novels get a movie that is even better than the novel itself. So full of win!
Apr 10, 2010 1:20 AM

Jul 2009
I love when Koizumi said while the tram was passing and Kyon couldn't hear.

Koizumi: " ...ves you " (Haruhi) <3
CapuChuuuApr 24, 2010 4:24 AM

When the rosario on her chest is taken off, Moka's vampire inner self awakes.
Apr 10, 2010 2:13 AM
Jul 2018
That.... was awesome o__o
I don't know what to say other than that XDD
Ohh btw, people who are worrying about the camera rip thing... you really are missing out on a great movie.
Apr 10, 2010 8:23 AM

Apr 2009
Naratchi said:
Faust721 said:

Dude how did you watch it?
Do you know Japanese, is that it? >.>
Mazui subbed and cleaned up the cam rip.

Also, this is movie was fucking awesome. Possibly the best animated movie I've ever seen, and generally one of the best movies I've ever seen period. Fucking amazing.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Apr 10, 2010 8:27 AM

Jan 2009
Pure, clean and virgin win.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 10, 2010 8:36 AM

Nov 2007
This was awesome. Though, it doesn't covered the fact that E8 still sux. I just loved hearing Aya Hirano voicing a non-energetic role. Also, Yuko Goto and Chihara Minori are both talented seiyuus! They can use a voice suitable for the character!

Apr 10, 2010 10:08 AM

Oct 2009
Watched it, damn that was amazing

I really liked Haruhi's other version. I like how for once she kinda just let kyon do things, and wasn't as bossy or acted like she knew how everything was gonna turn out. xD Her with long hair <3

Seeing her sleep there right next to kyon was sweet too. And when he brushed her hair ;o;

The shy Yuki was really cute too

And there was so much time jumping and stuff that I was super confused by the end of the movie. @__@ Had to read some stuff online to clear things up

Definitely gonna rewatch when a high quality versions is released
Apr 10, 2010 10:39 AM

Mar 2008
Amazing. Simply an amazing movie.
Nagato was great. A scene at the end of the film on the roof was ... ahhh hard to describe...
Same when Haruhi and Kyon finally met and after when she hit him^^.
The scene when Kyon asked himself which world he chooses was also great.
God I cant wait for DVD but despite the fact it's only camrip I can see the movie is well made.

Those who have lost faith in the Endless Eight now should disappear in the abyss.
SaygramApr 10, 2010 10:50 AM

Apr 10, 2010 10:59 AM

Feb 2008
I was surprised. This marvellous movies was definetely a compensation for the somewhat infamous "Endless Eight."
耳を塞いでも両手をすり抜ける真実に惑うよ。
Apr 10, 2010 11:31 AM

Feb 2010
I just saw the camrip w/subs. The quality wasn't even that bad (imo).
This movie was a masterpiece...
- Nagato was so cute. <3
- Kyon's monologue was awesome. I never thought he would freak out like that...
- I didn't read the light novel, so I didn't really know what was going to happen at times, but either way, the plot was epic, especially the ending.
- Who would rate this movie a 1-6 stars at out of 10? HATERS!
- Everyone knows this movie was Kyon x Yuki.
- I find it hilarious that Koizumi still smiles and stays calm, even if he has no idea what the hell is going on.

luigifan101Apr 10, 2010 11:41 AM
"That, Nagato, is what we call emotions."
Apr 10, 2010 12:57 PM

Apr 2009
So... it's good after all? I guess after a couple years of watching anime I'll have to finally start up Haruhi.
Apr 10, 2010 1:05 PM
Jun 2009
luigifan101 said:

- Who would rate this movie a 1-6 stars at out of 10? HATERS!

Haters gonna hate, but in the end their few votes won't have any effect.

I think this movie might now set a new stardard of awesomeness which will be hard to top by anything that will come after it.
Apr 10, 2010 1:59 PM
Dec 2008
The Kyon - Kyon conversation / monologue was a masterpiece in every level.

20/10
Apr 10, 2010 2:07 PM

Aug 2009
Oh.
My.
God.
That was fucking amazing. I'm seriously speechless.
10/10. A freaking masterpiece.

But I still don't get one part... What happened anyway? I mean, Asukara (or something) stabbed Kyon. Kyon was dying, and both Asahina's AND himself were standing there. I really didn't get it. And all of a sudden, he was back in the normal world. Without shooting Nagato.
Could someone explain what exactly happened?
Apr 10, 2010 2:21 PM

Jan 2009
SamTheNayru said:
Oh.
My.
God.
That was fucking amazing. I'm seriously speechless.
10/10. A freaking masterpiece.

But I still don't get one part... What happened anyway? I mean, Asukara (or something) stabbed Kyon. Kyon was dying, and both Asahina's AND himself were standing there. I really didn't get it. And all of a sudden, he was back in the normal world. Without shooting Nagato.
Could someone explain what exactly happened?

Nagato was the one that picked up the syringe gun and shot herself to restore the world back to normal. You could see her picking it up. She went along with the future Kyon and Asahina.
VinhsterrrApr 10, 2010 2:28 PM
Pages (21) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

» Ending … [spoilers ahead]

nomnomnori - Mar 3, 2019

8 by User-Name »»
Jun 7, 2023 4:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.