Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 23, 2016 7:14 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah looks like there's some problems with Mamiko this episode and family drama. I do find that she can sometimes be hard to get along with including her own sister.

Asuka and Kumiko's chemistry is funny. Glad to see she's doing a lot better after her own family drama from the other episode. Looks like the band is still getting ready for the National. I'm also really starting to like Masahiro Hashimoto this season. Aoi is also such a sincere person, glad to see Kumiko has someone like her to open up and talk with. Kumiko's background story when she was inspired to play the euphonium is also quite something.
Stark700Nov 23, 2016 7:18 AM
Nov 23, 2016 8:08 AM

Sep 2015
Starting to feel a little bit disappointed with season 2, everything seems to be about members personal problem. But of course I'm still fine with watching it, not boring at all. Kumiko playing the eupho was inspired by her sister huh, very nice to know that:) and sweet.
Nov 23, 2016 8:10 AM

Apr 2010
Kumiko's sister is stil in a bad mood tho it's somewhat understandable.
Parents in Asia tend to put much pressure on their when it comes to education.

Kumiko being invited to Asuka's home was surprising to see, i wonder if she will go tho.
Reina visiting Kumiko was nice of her.
Nov 23, 2016 8:22 AM

Nov 2007
The episode touched Mamiko and Kumiko's past and it's finally revealed that Mamiko started playing trombone from a very early age. And of course, Kumiko was enchanted by her sister playing and wanted to follow her immediately only for her mother to say that she is still four years away, which wasn't with an intention to dishearten Kumiko but actually to give her some footsteps to follow!

And then we get into Mamiko and the girls' father in a confrontation. It's almost felt like a real family argument over something such as serious as dropping out from school. Kumiko blames her father to not having the chance to continue with her trombone, because she felt she had to give up on it to what was wanted from her by her father as the role of an older child in the family. And her father adamantly reminded her that in the end it was Mamiko's decision to go to college.

The next day Shuuichi appears out of nowhere and nonchalantly wanted to give Kumiko some ears about the situation regarding Mamiko leaving school that he heard from his mother (who had a talk with Kumiko's mother) as he realized Kumiko must be holding it in. Of course, Kumiko remained uninterested to share anything with him.

Kumiko is troubled by Mamiko's situation and and she couldn't really hold it back anymore seeing her senpai might be on her way to do the same as she asked to confirm that Asuka won't be quitting. Asuka playfully avoided the question and even said that she will have Kumiko's lips sealed if she is asked any further. Amazingly, it was the same thing Mamiko told her when Kumiko kept on asking her about her decision when she was younger.

But then Asuka out of almost nowhere invited Kumiko to her place. She said she will be on her own during the daytime and even suggested that Kumiko must come on her own and with no one else. Perhaps she is thinking about opening up to Kumiko.

During the brief club activity, we get to see Masahiro again and his piercing remarks that everyone seemed stiff. But he made sure that his students realize that what's important would be to enjoy the way the perform, whether they get gold or silver. His motivational words are quite striking. What made me like him more is the way he made his students repeat after him to acknowledge themselves of the need to enjoy while they play.

And then he kind of singled out Euphonium players, first of all, how Asuka has gone missing (he mentioned the girl with red-framed glasses btw, which could have many meanings) and then Kumiko, that he couldn't hear her, even questioning whether she is even blowing at all. Of course he didn't know that she was actually on her way to catch a fever.

So, yes. Kumiko caught a cold and wasn't that cute how Midori bumped her forehead onto Kumiko's to confirm it! Midori is so cute!

And on her way back leaving club activities for the day, Kumiko meets Aoi. And just when they were about to part ways after some pleasantries, Kumiko brought up Asuka whether Aoi knew where she lived. Suddenly their discussion took confrontational as Kumiko won't buy Aoi's remarks on Asuka. But it suddenly struck me as much as it did Kumiko when Aoi mentioned she is relieved to realize that Asuka was also a human.

Meanwhile, with Asuka and Kumiko missing from the practice, Taki-sensei gives Haruka his decision that Natsuki would fill in during the practice sessions.

And then we see the adorable Kumiko, bested by cold in her bed. When she peeked from her blanked and asked about Mamiko to her sister I squealed. So, adorable.

Soon we entered flashbacks showing Kumiko wanted to become a trombone player but since so many kids already had that the instructor suggested her to become a eupho player! The birth of Eupho-kun is finally revealed!

Amazingly, she impressed her instructor by mimicking her sister (episode 1, season 1) as she vibrated her lips to create the sound. She was so excited when her instruction mentioned her sister was good. Kumiko smiled with joy and said her onee-chan is awesome.

Of course it was a dream and Kumiko wakes up on the tapping sound of Reina next to her. As she gave her the get-well gifts, including the ones from Midori and Hazuki, they listened to a CD (the same one Kumiko got from her sister). Both agreeing the eupho sounded much like Asuka's playing. Momentarily they noticed a name on the back but they got interrupted as Mamiko came in and turned off the player and said she hated it.

Kumiko couldn't hold back anymore and reminded Mamiko about her situation. Mamiko lost her cool too and slammed the door shut before saying Kumiko wouldn't even understand what her feelings are.

On her way out of home, Mamiko meets Shuuichi. Loved it when she teased him a bit but then Shuuichi took the most important role in the episode revealing to Mamiko how Kumiko used to looked up to her when she was young and she became a music instrument player because of none other than Mamiko. Does this ring a bell? Remember Kumiko couldn't understand Mizore's desire to play for Nozomi or even asking Reina if she played for anyone in particular? All the while, she had been playing for Mamiko without even realizing it herself.

Reina heard the very important conversation between Shuuichi and Mamiko, something Kumiko left hidden from her. Shuuichi also reminded Mamiko that she had forgotten how she pampered her little sister and how Kumiko always looked up to her. Plus one for Shuuichi in this episode for helping the Oumae sisters.

And then Kumiko recovers and the next day, Taki-sensei appoints Natsuki to fill in for Asuka, with the whole class' worst fear come to be.

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 23, 2016 8:26 AM

Nov 2007
Stark700 said:
Aoi is also such a sincere person, glad to see Kumiko has someone like her to open up and talk with.

Are we watching the same show? Or I don't understand?
Coronavirus.
Nov 23, 2016 9:55 AM

Mar 2008
Really sad that Kumiko and Mamiko's relationship has grown cold from each other. Maybe just maybe now they can begin to mend it seemed like they were pretty close growing up. Things are still so uncertain with poor Asuka will she be able to join?

I love how character focused this series is, the first one was good with it's character building but naturally focused on the end goal. This one is moving at a very leisurely and calm pace but still with a end goal in mind and I'm enjoying that!
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Nov 23, 2016 10:00 AM

Jan 2012
Oh no! That totally heartless bitch Asuka might not make it! Except yes, she obviously will. -_- More garbage level drama. Hope I'm wrong though and we never see her again. Well the big sister blues angle was handled mildly better. She was being ungrateful and bratty sure, but dad did get off way too lightly for his role in fucking up her life, mom too to a lesser extent. She'll no doubt come to see them play in Nagoya, which is fine, but hopefully they don't gloss over her education plot line.
Nov 23, 2016 10:22 AM

Dec 2014
Fairly moody episode this time around, It was still a good one.

Sad that Kumiko's parents messed up Mamiko's ambitions, I'm glad nothing like that happened to me.

Kitauji's performance seems very monotonic now apparently, Guess all the recent issues surrounding the club have been creating problems.
I liked what Hashimoto said about playing music.

Midori checking whether Kumiko had a fever was really cute.
Also little Kumiko is cute as well.

Reina checking upon on Kumiko was nice, The entire interaction between both of them was really sweet.

Mamiko got pretty angry at Kumiko even though she isn't really at fault for anything. Glad to see Shuichi reminding Mamiko of the past and Kumiko's reasons for starting to play the euphonium. I guess Mamiko will watch them perform in the finals now.
Wonder what's gonna happen with Asuka, I guess Kumiko will make the house trip next episode.
Nov 23, 2016 10:35 AM

Sep 2010
It's cute knowing how Mamiko inspired Kumiko to go into music from playing the trombone herself.

Shuuichi also stepped up by telling Mamiko about Kumiko's feelings of admiration, thus leading to her remembering how she and Kumiko were like in the past.

I wonder what Kumiko's role will be in the ongoing situation with Asuka though.
DaisukiNov 23, 2016 11:56 AM

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Nov 23, 2016 10:38 AM

May 2010
Suichi the absent character of this season 2 arrives to solve the problem between sister xD
Nov 23, 2016 10:54 AM
Aug 2015
With these family issues (concerning Asuka and Kumiko) the show is getting more interesting. Good to see Aoi and Kumiko talking.

Poor Kumiko she's sick and she also argues with her sister (while Reina being there).
Didn't expect to see Mamiko and Shuuichi discussing but OMG Shuuichi saves the day!! He did a great job telling Mamiko how her little sister is feeling. Kumiko has to thank him properly lol

I don't know why they keep showing Reina (although it's becoming better without the shoujo-ai fan service), Shuuichi is way better as a friend and as a character!
Nov 23, 2016 11:08 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Kumiko never could get across her feelings to her sister properly and Shuichi just did that for her in one little conversation with her sister. Good man.
Nov 23, 2016 12:36 PM

May 2010
Finally Shuuichi got more lines. It's going full on drama for a while now so I feel like I could use some romance between him and Kumiko now, just saying.
Nov 23, 2016 12:46 PM

Jul 2012
The episode with heavy(to some extent) drama so the pacing felt different than the other episodes.
Kumiko was such a cutie as a kid and she adored her sister so much. I hope that there might be a scene with them playing together (mb for making up).
Always liked small "skits" between Kumiko and Asuka including this time and really interested about Asuka's invitation so excited for the next episode.
Nov 23, 2016 1:22 PM

May 2015
Oh damn, I definitely felt the gloomy atmosphere in this episode. Little Kumiko was adorable, though.

Great episode.

Nov 23, 2016 1:30 PM

Aug 2015
I teared up a little when Mamiko and Kumiko had these flashbacks. Oh god, I honestly did not expect yuri and drama when I first seen this series.
Nov 23, 2016 1:35 PM

Apr 2016
So I had quite the good intuition as about why Mamiko gave up on the trombone. In the end we have :
_ Mamiko quit music for studying under her parent's pressure.
_ Asuka is under her mother's pressure to quit music also for studying.
_ Aoi quit music for studying (we don't know if it came from her or from her parents though)

It's quite the recurrent theme in this show and a real issue in some families I suppose.

Other topic : We don't know whether or not Yuuchi went to Kumiko's apartment and if he talked to her or did she just let him coldly at the door?

Asuka again saying "I won't make problems" and making problems right after that not telling people anything about her, not coming to practice, not answering messages, not saying whether she'll be there for the competition or not.
Yes she is funny and charismatic but on the other hand she is humanly such an idiot and doesn't understand (once again) that her behavior is not ok whatever her circumstances.

Last but not least : again another piece of great voice acting this time with Mamiko : the last "urusai!" from her felt so real it hurt. You could hear the anger, the aggressiveness, the despair, in just one word. Impressive. The realism in some dialogs amazed me.

Great episode! Always too short!
Nov 23, 2016 1:50 PM
Jul 2009
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Other topic : We don't know whether or not Yuuchi went to Kumiko's apartment and if he talked to her or did she just let him coldly at the door?

I think he was there because he lives in the same building.
Nov 23, 2016 1:54 PM

Apr 2016
1idd0kun said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I think he was there because he lives in the same building.

Thank you. I didn't know that.
Nov 23, 2016 2:15 PM

Dec 2014
Baby Kumiko is so damn cute.

Some more conflict with Kumiko and her sister. Sister got called out a lot, and the flashbacks were neat. Good episode.
Nov 23, 2016 2:34 PM

Nov 2007
Smudy said:
Kumiko never could get across her feelings to her sister properly and Shuichi just did that for her in one little conversation with her sister. Good man.

Good man? Don't you mean the tall, good-looking and gotta be popular man?

Lelouch0202 said:

Midori checking whether Kumiko had a fever was really cute.

Precious, isn't she?!

Neromon said:
Small Kumiko is too much for me to handle <3

The most adorable smile of the season goes to Mini-Kumiko!

TragicRomance said:
Finally Shuuichi got more lines. It's going full on drama for a while now so I feel like I could use some romance between him and Kumiko now, just saying.

He~h? Nande?

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
So I had quite the good intuition as about why Mamiko gave up on the trombone.It's quite the recurrent theme in this show and a real issue in some families I suppose.

As @Aversa pointed out, it's not very uncommon in families in other parts of the world to have influence in the decisions of shaping up a child's future. The competition is usually far fierce (any anything) and to make a living as a grown up is much harder so parents often decide what is best for their children.

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

You mean SHUU-I-CHI, no? I am just painfully reminded how he never got any exposure in this season. See, you even forgot his name!

As for what happened afterwards, let's just hope nothing happened. At this point, let's just hope he wasn't allowed to come-in. Even for childhood friends, you are NOT allowed to see A GIRL in her room even if she is down with a cold, particularly when you are A BOY and visiting her on your own! Reina has it easy when it comes to Kumiko. :P

Ah! My Kumiko and Reina moment!

And of course, Kumiko peeking!

God! She is cute!
Coronavirus.
Nov 23, 2016 2:59 PM

May 2010
shanimebib said:
Good man? Don't you mean the tall, good-looking and gotta be popular man?

Well then, but what character said the same XD

Nov 23, 2016 4:30 PM

Oct 2014
I enjoyed this episode - finally picking up on why Mamiko seems so distant to Kumiko, when her earlier flashbacks seemed like nothing but good memories.

Lots of nice little moments in the episode - looking forward to Kumi heading off to Asuka's, and what they might talk about. It would be interesting if Asuka decided to open up to her - and not unlikely, since I think she'd appreciate Kumiko's straightforwardness with her viewpoints.

Kumi's flashbacks were really nice and sweet, I thought it reflected sibling relationships really well, and I can see my younger sister kind of trying that follow-your-older-sibling thing with wanting to go to the same foreign uni I am currently at.

It was really really nice to see Reina drop by to check on dear Kumi - she read her mind with the euph disc as well! Also, I find it mildly amusing that this was an opportunity to develop Kumi and Shuichi, but they use the time for Kumi Reina instead - I wonder if Shuichi checked on her, or just went on home?

Highly enjoyed the ep, and hopefully Kumiko and Mamiko grow closer from her realization that Kumi would've loved to play with her if she didn't abruptly quit due to pressure. Looking forward to the continuation of Asuka's issues, which should be on next week it seems.

Nov 23, 2016 6:07 PM

Nov 2016
I enjoyed this episode as it brings in more of the family conflict from last episode. I do believe it was rather tough for Mamiko to go through wanting to quit college and decided to become a beautician. Anyway, I loved how Kumiko was so inspired on wanting to play an instrument and later in her grade school years that she had her teacher recommended the eupho instead of the trombone. I thought that was really sweet and Kumiko looked very adorable there. :)

When Asuka wanted to invite Kumiko to her house, I was surprised to see how she might have wanted to open up herself a little. I do believe that things might pave the way for them later on in the future. Seeing Aoi-chan once again from S1 was something else as she seems to be doing pretty well with her studies. I know that Aoi-chan had problems with Asuka back then in S1 so for Kumiko to explain that Asuka does have feelings and is human with problems might have changed her opinion on Asuka.

So from there, Kumiko with her cold and all, it was nice to see Reina tagging alongside her as they listened to the eupho CD she had bought for her though cut short by Mamiko. I do agree that Shuichi did something that might have changed things as he was talking to Mamiko that she never realized that Kumiko looked up to her all of those years wanting to practice playing the eupho. It was really bold of him to do that.

Now with the situation at hand without Asuka in the band, I'm really worried that they're going to have Nakagawa take her place if Asuka doesn't show up for the Nationals. Who knows what might happen. Can't wait till next week!
Nov 23, 2016 6:24 PM
Dec 2008
Shuuichi and Kumiko live in the same building. No, he wasn't visiting Kumiko just to be clear. Kyoani explicitly stated that one-single time in S1, how can people forget? /s Still quite ridiculous they never bumped to each other more often and apparently this was Mamiko's first time seeing him.
Nov 23, 2016 6:43 PM

Aug 2015
Kumiko's sister totally looked like her when she was younger!
Nov 23, 2016 6:49 PM

Oct 2013
Another compelling episode. Nice layering to add depth to the characters. Now we have a little Mamiko/Kumiko back-story.
Nov 23, 2016 6:57 PM

Jul 2011
Not sure of Shuuichi is just being Shuuichi (plot device ofc) or being nosy. Well I guess at least he's getting more interaction with Kumiko before official couple status? Albeit it's pretty one-sided and she evidently doesn't enjoy his company at all.

Wonder what Asuka has in mind, inviting Kumiko over.
Nov 23, 2016 7:04 PM

Dec 2014
Was the first season this heavy on the drama? I know it had its fair share but this season just feels like one conflict after another. I swear there use to be happy moments in this show but I guess we're past that now.
Nov 23, 2016 7:10 PM
Aug 2014
My man Shuuichi scoring big this episode. Haters gonna hate...
Nov 23, 2016 7:32 PM

Dec 2012
Life can be tough. Going to College & spending your parents money on tuition & living expenses to come out saying you want to do something else can be stressful & puts pressure on you.

Poor Mamiko having to deal with that. Kumiko looks up to her & nice flashback seeing her start playing the euphonium.

LOL Asuka grabbing Kumiko's mouth.
Glad Kumiko is not that sick & made it back to band practice.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 23, 2016 7:47 PM

Nov 2007
Season 1, Episode 1:

The Reminiscence:

The Expression That Followed:

It was a subtle hint of how Kumiko thought of her sister. This episode connected with the premier episode so well that it easily became one of my favourite episodes of this anime.

Mirorin said:
Not sure of Shuuichi is just being Shuuichi (plot device ofc) or being nosy.

By your definition, every single character in this anime is nosy (except for Asuka perhaps). And Kumiko herself will be the Queen in that aspect. Let's just think it's the other option that Shuuichi is just being Shuuichi i.e genuinely looking out for the girl he likes, plot device or not ofc.
Coronavirus.
Nov 23, 2016 8:11 PM
Dec 2008
We got that Kumiko's mom and Shuuichi's mom are close enough in order for that info to reach Shuuichi. Dont forget he used to dine in Kumiko's place. Childhood friend status is in effect here about time he's integrated to the story.
Nov 23, 2016 9:00 PM

Nov 2007
gnodab said:
We got that Kumiko's mom and Shuuichi's mom are close enough in order for that info to reach Shuuichi. Dont forget he used to dine in Kumiko's place. Childhood friend status is in effect here about time he's integrated to the story.

Why do you hate Shuuichi so much I wonder. What did he do to get this treatment I don't even understand. When Kumiko 'visibly' shows no interest and avoids Shuuichi, no one bats an eye; instead everyone remains supportive to Kumiko's actions. When Shuuichi does it just once after being ignored over and over again, he gets labeled as a f*g.

Really. This episode aside, didn't anyone notice even inside that haunted house, when Kumiko talked about how detailed the setting was, he noticed she was still scared and so he reassured that she was able to match his pace? He didn't just stop there as he tried to change the subject and bring up their performance during the competition to get her mind off of the environment around her. He is not just tall, good-looking and apparently the popular type. He is kind. It's one of the biggest assets a person can possess. It was his kindness that made Hazuki fall for him. And it was because of his kindness that Hazuki could get over it even after being rejected by him.

As much as I like Shuuichi, I am entirely against anything that will create more foes than fans. Let's just focus on the upcoming competition instead of getting into shipping wars.
Coronavirus.
Nov 23, 2016 11:12 PM

Jan 2008
So that's why Mamiko wants to quit college. Glad that has finally been cleared up. The whole pregnancy thing is invalid then, huh?

The interaction between Asuka and her mother in the previous episode kind of made me suspect that Asuka's father was a musician and that's why her mother is against her staying in the club. Could be that what her daughter is doing brings back painful memories she wants to forget. Or it could be just me reading way too much into things. However, in this episode, Kumiko mentions that Asuka's playing is similar to the playing on the CD. Could it be that it was Asuka's father who composed the music on the CD?

Happy to see more of Shuichi in this episode. I really like him and can't wait for him and Kumiko to get close. Reina/Kumiko fans will continue to hate on him but I don't care as I like him.
Nov 23, 2016 11:24 PM

Jun 2015
Am I the only one that feels like this Shuuichi thing is a bit... forced? If Shuuichi is destined to have a romantic relationship with Kumiko, I don't feel nearly enough time has been spent on them. We only have a few episodes left, and if we're being honest with ourselves and leaving shipping fandoms out of it, I don't think Shuuichi and Kumiko make any sense together. Super awkward turtle.

That said, since the KumiRei ship is definitely sunk (sadly), I am hoping KyoAni is leading us down the path of everyone simply becoming closer as friends and resolving differences, rather than any sort of romantic relationship. That will make the competition at the end all the more sweet as a sort of "coming together" moment I think.
Nov 24, 2016 1:20 AM
Dec 2008
Which scene was forced exactly? And there was no romantic scene. Just a childhood friend simply helping out. No need to feel threatened :)
Nov 24, 2016 1:45 AM

Oct 2016
Despite all the drama and heavy atmosphere in this episode, kumiko is being kumiko and it's kinda relaxing to see that she had'nt change since she is a little , I love how she adore her sister and also making herself to get better in playing instrument in able to play together with mamiko..

reina being there when kumiko is sick is kinda cute .
I hope mamiko will watch her sister performing in the nationals ..
Nov 24, 2016 1:54 AM

Oct 2016
drgy55 said:
Am I the only one that feels like this Shuuichi thing is a bit... forced? If Shuuichi is destined to have a romantic relationship with Kumiko, I don't feel nearly enough time has been spent on them. We only have a few episodes left, and if we're being honest with ourselves and leaving shipping fandoms out of it, I don't think Shuuichi and Kumiko make any sense together. Super awkward turtle.

That said, since the KumiRei ship is definitely sunk (sadly), I am hoping KyoAni is leading us down the path of everyone simply becoming closer as friends and resolving differences, rather than any sort of romantic relationship. That will make the competition at the end all the more sweet as a sort of "coming together" moment I think.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedNov 25, 2016 1:34 PM
Nov 24, 2016 4:20 AM

Jul 2016
Nice episode with Kumiko-Mamiko backstory. Kid-Kumiko was incredibly cute and its great to see her motivation for playing the Euphonium.

That scene where Reina is hiding from Shuuichi while he talks to Mamiko is making me think- is she getting a bit jelly of Shuuichi's wide knowledge of Kumiko? The ship is sinking, my friends. It's been a good voyage.

Seeing Aoi making an appearance is pretty nice. Anyone know if shes going back on the bus or making a semi-permanent comeback?

Next episode is at Asuka's place. It's going to be so nice seeing the 2 alone together. I have a feeling Asuka wants to impart some of her wisdom and feelings to her protoge.

Is it me or is season 2's soundtrack sounding better than season 1's? I love season 1's OST but this season seems to be even better. The piece that plays during Hashimoto's speech is one of my favourites now.

gnodab said:
Shuuichi and Kumiko live in the same building. No, he wasn't visiting Kumiko just to be clear. Kyoani explicitly stated that one-single time in S1, how can people forget? /s Still quite ridiculous they never bumped to each other more often and apparently this was Mamiko's first time seeing him.

Well, she lives in her own apartment now so its not a far stretch that she hasn't seen him in a while since she only goes back sporadically and without prior notice. He also hangs out with band friends and misses his chances to meet her.

dm106 said:
My man Shuuichi scoring big this episode. Haters gonna hate...

Give Shuuichi some love, agreed! He's done being a punchline for the fans.
Nov 24, 2016 4:35 AM

Nov 2015
Slow paced episode but it was needed to build up whats coming in the following ones. Families forcing children to quit what they love (in this case music) for the sake of making them study hard, really is a common issue.

I honestly do don't understand all the Asuka hate here. Maybe she made an arrangement with her mother to focus on studying without staying for practice but in return she will play in the competition. Maybe it's something else. She's already too good that even with a little practice she can play better than Natsuki or Kumiko. Maybe it's better for the band this way than losing her completely. We don't know anything for sure yet. Following episodes will show it. I wonder if Kumiko will ever decide to visit her house.

Asuka in my honest opinion is the most mature and one of the talented players in the band. She tries to take everything in life in a funny and positive way, laugh it off and carry on without creating unnecessary drama. Of course she has her flaws like everyone else but seriously the main reason to hate her THIS much is that she has lots of fanboys (including myself) and all that praise to her gives some people repulsive feelings about her.
Nov 24, 2016 5:26 AM
May 2016
I kinda like the pacing on this episode. Kumiko was so adorable when she was a kid. Looking forward for next episode.
Nov 24, 2016 6:18 AM

Feb 2014
Little Kumiko's smiles are just so darn cute! X3

Mamiko quit playing Trombone so that she could focus on her studies and go to college, by the looks of it, a beautician degree or so. Now she's changed her mind about being at college and wants out. It's never a good thing to be pressured into stopping something that you enjoy doing for studying exams though. I'm starting to see similarities being Mamiko and Asuka because of this. Asuka's mother wants her to quit the concert band and pursue her studies.

So seeing Asuka appearing less and less, saying to people not to worry, only makes me worry more for her. If Kumiko decides to go to Asuka's place for a study session, I wonder if she can help Asuka in some way that she won't quit the band and her Euphonium, just like Mamiko did with her Trombone.

For Mamiko though, I think she'll start to patch things up with Kumiko. Thanks to Shuuichi's appearance, he was able to get through to Mamiko about Kumiko's rise as a Euphonium player and wants her older sister to hear her performance. Hopefully, that'll happen in the near future. =)

Although the last few episode have been drama-heavy, KyoAni has done a stellar job with it. I'm hoping that they'll keep this solid pace going until the end. =)
Nov 24, 2016 7:10 AM

Nov 2011
Every good family that respects, has its own problems! It is an infinity of time was expecting this moment, the narration mentions unfortunately, only the speech and leaves even more doubts than certainties about Mamiko events. It is known that since the first season, the atmosphere is much more calm and humor is very thin, but I'm enjoying much of the plot. The fate of Asuka, is keeping me on pins and needles, can not wait to see what will happen; even if it came from the cast, it would be a great plot twist, which would give greater brilliance to the story.
Nov 24, 2016 7:20 AM

Jun 2015
Morpice said:

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedNov 25, 2016 1:34 PM
Nov 24, 2016 7:23 AM

Apr 2016
*delete the rant about some users*

Please people, I know it's now probably too late for anybody reading in this forum, but think about it for the next shows :
Don't discuss the "known" outcome of a "side-story" (yes thanks god it's only a side-story) right now in a episode before anything happened. That's called SPOILER, and that's neither nice nor clever to do that.

You are allowed to speculate (or to look like you speculate), you shouldn't state.

In other shows, people are more careful than you, so yes it's possible to have a bit of respect for people who don't know the end of a (part of the) story.

@shanimebib
Sorry for mistreating this poor boy. I do have a problem to memorize most of japanese names and I verify very often for the girls too, just forgot to have a look this time for him again.

And Yes Kumiko is cute and a great character.

@bdsbff

I think too that the first season was a lot lighter and more cheerful. There is a shift of themes in the second season : friend-rejection, group-rejection, struggle with the family (big time!), death of the loved one, unrequited love. That's way heavier, more mature too perhaps than the simple "do your best in playing music!".
Also the humor is slightly different and more subtil.
I love this season as much if not more though.
Nov 24, 2016 8:01 AM

Apr 2016
Gurush said:

I honestly do don't understand all the Asuka hate here. Maybe she made an arrangement with her mother to focus on studying without staying for practice but in return she will play in the competition. Maybe it's something else. She's already too good that even with a little practice she can play better than Natsuki or Kumiko. Maybe it's better for the band this way than losing her completely. We don't know anything for sure yet. Following episodes will show it. I wonder if Kumiko will ever decide to visit her house.

Asuka in my honest opinion is the most mature and one of the talented players in the band. She tries to take everything in life in a funny and positive way, laugh it off and carry on without creating unnecessary drama. Of course she has her flaws like everyone else but seriously the main reason to hate her THIS much is that she has lots of fanboys (including myself) and all that praise to her gives some people repulsive feelings about her.

Actually she is not mature, that's precisely her problem. She doesn't take any responsability.

When a friend writes you a message, you just don't ignore him. That's what she does.
When a friend ask you a direct question, you give an answer. She doesn't.
When a friend ask your opinion on her playing you just don't shove the question. Yet she did (first season)

If she was not stupid, she would realise that many people in the band are worrying about her. Yet she does nothing to reassure them. She says, everything ok, there won't be any problem, yet the next day she is not there and don't even try to explain her situation and what she will do and how she will do it and THAT'S a problem.
Nothing's clear, she just let almost everybody except Natsuki maybe out of the loop.

She is not reliable at all and her main feature is her lack of sincerity.

The way she dealt with Mizore-Nozomi was the wrong one and she was also at this occasion quite arrogant toward Kumiko and talking bullshit on top of that.

I'm aware she has qualities (she can be very funny, I love this aspect of her personality) and she has it hard with her mother but ask me who has the greatest personality among the senpais, it's Natsuki all the way and Asuka won't even come in fourth place.

On another hand, a good story needs good "bad" characters. Asuka does it well in my opinion, so not totally complaining. She is realisitic.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 24, 2016 8:19 AM
Nov 24, 2016 8:08 AM
Dec 2008
shanimebib said:

Why do you hate Shuuichi so much I wonder. What did he do to get this treatment I don't even understand. When Kumiko 'visibly' shows no interest and avoids Shuuichi, no one bats an eye; instead everyone remains supportive to Kumiko's actions. When Shuuichi does it just once after being ignored over and over again, he gets labeled as a f*g.

If the reason why Kumiko is still indifferent and irate about Shuichi even though they sort of made-up by the end of season 1 is because he still haven't apologized for calling her ugly I would probably roll my eyes in disbelief. My god lets ignore all the developments in season 1 why don't we? This also means Kumiko can hold quite a grudge holy shit.
Nov 24, 2016 8:24 AM

Jun 2012
Funny how Asuka say she won't cause any problems, yet she keeps doing that, by not saying anything, everyone is confused and it affect their performance.

Wonder if Mamiko inspired Shuuichi to play instrument too? He is seen in opening with Mamiko , when he and Kumiko were kids.
Nov 24, 2016 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
*delete the rant about some users*

Please people, I know it's now probably too late for anybody reading in this forum, but think about it for the next shows :
Don't discuss the "known" outcome of a "side-story" (yes thanks god it's only a side-story) right now in a episode before anything happened. That's called SPOILER, and that's neither nice nor clever to do that.

You are allowed to speculate (or to look like you speculate), you shouldn't state.

In other shows, people are more careful than you, so yes it's possible to have a bit of respect for people who don't know the end of a (part of the) story.

@shanimebib
Sorry for mistreating this poor boy. I do have a problem to memorize most of japanese names and I verify very often for the girls too, just forgot to have a look this time for him again.

And Yes Kumiko is cute and a great character.

@bdsbff

I think too that the first season was a lot lighter and more cheerful. There is a shift of themes in the second season : friend-rejection, group-rejection, struggle with the family (big time!), death of the loved one, unrequited love. That's way heavier, more mature too perhaps than the simple "do your best in playing music!".
Also the humor is slightly different and more subtil.
I love this season as much if not more though.

Just pointing out that although the "side story" concludes what you are implying, vol 3 ending is enough for all the salt to pour. Well just hope kyoani doesn't go with that lol.

And yeah, some user outwardly stated that without any spoiler tag.....heh.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Today, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.