Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nov 19, 2016 3:36 PM
There isn't a visual novel forum, but this is still anime related so I thought I would ask here.

Real quick, I'm working to finish watching UBW currently (the series, not the movie), in case of spoilers.

I've seen a lot of discussion about the supposed butcher job with the first anime adaptation of the Fate path of the visual novel of Fate/Stay Night. So there is a lot of discussion about whether to watch it, play the VN, etc. I'm playing through the Fate path right now, to get the original experience. But since UBW is supposed to follow the VN pretty closely, is it worth playing through that path?

Nov 19, 2016 3:42 PM
Top Aidoru ♪

Moved from Anime Discussion

I'm sure others have their opinion on the matter, and granted that it's been years since I've played the visual novel, I think it could be worth checking out if you'd like to experience the VN for all the content excluded from the adaption. That's mainly if you have the time to invest, of course.

Nov 19, 2016 3:43 PM

Yes, you could play Fate UBW... but why would you want to when you could also play Naruto Online? Collect all your favorite ninjas and become the next Hikage! Relive the classic!

Nov 19, 2016 3:48 PM

I haven't played it yet but I know there are more paths, including good and bad endings, in the game than in the anime. And there's a lot more text and character development in the game than in the anime. So yeah, it's worth it. Just like it's worth to read a novel that was adapted into an anime after watching the anime. You are getting animation plus voice acting in one, while in the other you get text. Except, of course, if you choose to play the version of the visual novel with voice acting for the characters. If you do it you are getting voice acting in both anime and visual novel.
There is a visual novel forum: https://vndb.org/
I use it to list my visual novels.

Nov 19, 2016 3:54 PM
pkKodama said:
I haven't played it yet but I know there are more paths, including good and bad endings, in the game than in the anime. And there's a lot more text and character development in the game than in the anime. So yeah, it's worth it. Just like it's worth to read a novel that was adapted into an anime after watching the anime. You are getting animation plus voice acting in one, while in the other you get text. Except, of course, if you choose to play the version of the visual novel with voice acting for the characters. If you do it you are getting voice acting in both anime and visual novel.

There's the Heaven's Feel path that I'm definitely going to play through. I'm not sure if the upcoming movies are enough content wise to get the whole story.

Nov 19, 2016 4:04 PM

Zatos said:
pkKodama said:

There's the Heaven's Feel path that I'm definitely going to play through. I'm not sure if the upcoming movies are enough content wise to get the whole story.

No. Heaven's Feel only adapt the story of the last part out of 3 parts. It does not adapt the different endings that weren't adapted in the animes that have already been aired.

Nov 19, 2016 4:04 PM
pkKodama said:

Are you sure you quoted the right person?

Yes... I was just commenting about you mentioning there being more paths with different endings in the VN. There's the Fate, UBW and HF paths. I just wanted to mention about Heaven's Feel that I was definitely going to go through it, as I should have mentioned that in my original post.

I haven't ever played through any VNs before, so it's hard for me to comment on that aspect. I don't know if there are any good morsels in the UTB VN path that are worth experiencing on their own that were left out of the anime. Or if it just comes down to more intimate details, like more about what a character is thinking or feeling and more detail, rather than anything new plot-wise.

Nov 19, 2016 4:05 PM

Zatos said:
pkKodama said:

Are you sure you quoted the right person?

Yes... I was just commenting about you mentioning there being more paths with different endings in the VN. There's the Fate, UBW and HF paths. I just wanted to mention about Heaven's Feel that I was definitely going to go through it, as I should have mentioned that in my original post.

I haven't ever played through any VNs before, so it's hard for me to comment on that aspect. I don't know if there are any good morsels in the UTB VN path that are worth experiencing on their own that were left out of the anime. Or if it just comes down to more intimate details, like more about what a character is thinking or feeling and more detail, rather than anything new plot-wise.

Yeah I know. I already edited my reply :P

Nov 19, 2016 4:15 PM

Short answer is probably yes

Long answer is the visual novel expands on everything shown in the anime from Shirou's point of view with a few minor changes and (I think) is overall better, but it's also more tedious than watching the anime at times and longer so if you don't have the time then it's probably not worth it.

The UBW route alone can be anywhere from 10 - 20 hours depending on how fast you read and how much optional stuff you want to read, and the anime was around 10 hours.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Dec 21, 2016 8:33 AM

If you want to actually understand what the fuck is going on in UBW then yes.

There has yet to be a good FSN adaptation.

Zatos said:
But since UBW is supposed to follow the VN pretty closely, is it worth playing through that path?

Ufo's UBW adapts FSN as faithfully as Michael Bay's Transformers movies adapted Transformers franchise "faithfully". Character names are the same, the overall plot "looks" the same, but everything else is missing.