3It was OK
8.8%
2Disliked it
1.3%
1Hated it
0.6%
Average 4.5
160 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2016 3:16 AM

Jan 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Freaking Lalah Musume lool, at least she's less annoying this early on. Origin was nice, though eps 3 and 4 were a bit too political and not as personal as eps 1 and 2. Episode 4 was especially dry - I hope they make a better edit for the BR. If you want to get another perspective on the years right before and slightly after 0079 I highly recommend IGLOO. It's more technical and on grounds and it also shows the rivalry between Anaheim and Zeonic, the development of prototypes, etc.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Nov 19, 2016 5:08 AM

Nov 2016
I loved the animation during the battle in the Moon. Amuro is a bit more likeable than in the 0079 original series and in the manga. I kind of idolized Char when I was younger, but it's no longer the case, even though he is still my favourite character of the Gundam franchise.
Nov 19, 2016 7:39 AM

Nov 2013
That was good but so far I think the 4th movie is the weakest (maybe since it doesn't focus as much on Char's character like the other movies). I thought this would be the last movie and it isnt a good place to end the movies. Then I see on ANN it is announced that there will be anime adaptation of Loum arc and the birth of Red comet.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-19/gundam-the-origin-loum-arc-to-end-with-2nd-volume-in-2018/.108987

I'm glad this isn't the end but waiting 1 year is harsh T_T. Btw is it a separate entry or still origin instalment? MAL still listed Origin series with 4 episodes though.
JJHRTDNov 19, 2016 9:17 AM
Nov 19, 2016 8:08 AM

Aug 2008
@jejehartadi well they announced Loum Arc months ago, but MAL was too lazy to edit the episode count yet again and keeps misleading people xD

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Nov 19, 2016 11:35 AM

Mar 2016
This one is definitely the less interesting episode of the 4. But it's understandable since they need to set it up so it leads to the original in terms of story. Would've liked to see more on Char's side but overall it's pretty good.
Nov 19, 2016 1:56 PM

Dec 2011
When they use for the first time the word "Gundam"...
That was... Hnnnnng ! xD

Nov 19, 2016 3:17 PM

Aug 2010
I'm almost surprised that this isn't the last ova. 8/10 episode
Signatures Suck
Nov 19, 2016 8:02 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I thought this episode is the last one, thank god it isn't

This episode has quite a lot of very nice animated battle 10/10

So the earlier version of Guncannon couldn't even scratch Zaku, Poor those Guncannon pilots, they were fighting all Zeon aces at the same time: Ramba Ral, the trio Black Tri Star, and fucking Char

I wonder if the 1000 Balls war would be animated. I have been waiting for it

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 20, 2016 12:13 PM

Dec 2015
It seemed good overall. I found the Lalah and the development parts different than the manga without finding why (I should check my book, but if someone has an answer, please write it)
Seeing Yasuhiko's beautiful Amuro and Fraw on screen make me wish for more OAVs later, following the White Base (too bad Bright's voice is dead since a few years now)

Also, what is this RCX-77?? Does BANDAI really need to produce new Gunpla this much? This animation is an OAV series, it shouldn't have to create more new models and diverge from the manga's tweaks and everything to make money (besides, the manga itself proposed enough variations and upgraded looks like how the Gundam gradually "evolves" throughout the story).

4/5 I had totally forgotten the falling heads.

@RayAdha What is this 1000 balls war? (something to do with the Federation spheric mini-space ships?)

Raichi_ said:
Amuro is a bit more likeable than in the 0079 original series and in the manga.

In this OAV, he is depicted as the "technology enthusiast" he was supposed to be back in the series (despite the lack of description back then), but in a stronger way. And the manga "The Origin" has the exact same asocial version of Amuro.
What did you see here to find the animated Amuro more likable than in Yasuhiko's manga?

@Raichi_ I see. I didn't understand this at all. ^^"
I considered that part of the behaviours/reactions people blame him for came from the lack of parental education or his resulting reclusive nature.
PS: all my excuses, I lack objectivity here, I simply loved the character despite how mad he could make me. ^^" (started 0079 with the manga by the way)

@drokstar The asocial Amuro, here, is not "mean". He has simply not enough consideration for the outside. Less than a simple AI ^^" (it would be very funny, if The Origin didn't remove Amuro's paternity for Haro).
But we see he understands when Fraw confronts him and isn't totally impenetrable. (I think)
Sayla is a very young child, and there are circumstances like you said. (but again, I could tell there are circumstances for Amuro's behaviour) Plus The Origin actually made good use of her, promoting her to main (during the retelling part, especially the sometimes disliked A Baoa Qu version of Yasuhiko).
Fraw? Where is Fraw's strangeness compared to the 80s one?
Lalah Sune: mh? Do you mean that she should not have been "rescued" because it portrays her as a weak young girl (not sure of her age in the Origin timeline) ? Where is the contradiction between "this" Lalah and the one we know through a few scenes in the show/movies?

I fond that the characters of the manga were very faithful to what we can see in the movies, with added/flashback characterization sometimes improving what the animation portrayed back then. (For Char, his father and the Zabi, it even plays with what some may have imagined. Char himself is greatly presented, making his personal progression through the chronology even more understandable)

@Wintovisky That's Yasuhiko's interpretation. The movies are the movies, The Origin isn't a prequel, it has its own continuity, and those OAVs are only the flashback volumes animated.
There is nothing left about Zeon, apart from a chapter bonus revealing Casval's birth day. It was very good to see Dewin and his sons as simple members of a movement in it. (I doubt this will be animated)

@laughterjones I'll check but I don't remember it.
Rei_IIIAug 1, 2017 11:15 PM
Nov 20, 2016 12:45 PM

Nov 2016
Rei366 said:

In this OAV, he is depicted as the "enthusiast" he was supposed to be back in the series (despite the lack of description back then), but in a stronger way. And the manga "The Origin" has the exact same version of Amuro.
What did you see here to find the animated Amuro more likable than in Yasuhiko's manga?

Well, I think I phrased it poorly. Actually it's not a matter of OAV vs manga. What I meant to say is: I like Amuro in this OAV better than in the original series and manga because he still hasn't become an angsty teenager, lol. I know the manga also covers this OAV, but I was talking about the non-flashback part of the manga f(^_^;)

Here, he is not deliberately mean to Frau. He is just in his own bubble (and a bit awkward). After they join the White Base's crew, he ignores her and get mad at her when she is only worried for him.

Also, he gets the big the head for being the Gundam pilot (okay, he is young, but still...) And I find his reaction of running away very immature even for his age. Like "oh, so you don't need me anymore? Well okay, I'm going to leave really really far away to make you regret".
Nov 20, 2016 1:43 PM

Apr 2014
@Raichi_ and Rei366: I actually think Amuro is more unlikable in this OVA because in 0079 at least you could say "he's stressed out because of the war", but in The Origin he's being mean to Fraw just because he is that way.

Am I the only one bothered by the representation of some characters in this OVA? I think they totally nailed Char and the Zabis, but Fraw, Sayla and Lalah feel completely alien to me. They mostly just cry (which is fair for Sayla, considering her circumstances) and revolve around their boyfriends. I was cringing pretty hard at the scene where Char saves Lalah from the guy with the sharp CD.

EDIT (responding to Rei366):
I don't really have a problem with Sayla, I just wish she could've done more in the story (then again, there are still 2 episodes left, so maybe then she'll be more impactful).
As for Fraw, I've always seen her as the voice of reason for Amuro when he's being a coward in the original series, and I don't think she is that at all in Origin. She was a bit passive when talking to Amuro, don't you think? I think it would've been more natural for her to call him out for ignoring her.
And finally, Lalah was pretty consistent (for the minimal screen time she has in both the 80's anime and Origin, anyway). I think my problem is with that whole segment in South America. I thought the whole thing was a bit silly and didn't add much, Lalah was just a part of it, so I may have misattributed the blame.
Most of this is just nitpicking, anyway. Origin's portrayal of the characters in general is pretty on-point.

This episode was really disappointing, which is a shame because I was liking the OVA it a lot. I hope episode 5 is more reminiscent of the first three
drokstarNov 20, 2016 4:36 PM
Nov 20, 2016 8:08 PM

Feb 2013
Yay! Lasers and pink explosions!

This is closing in to where the anime starts quite quickly.

I liked that the episode had more action, but didn't like that it didn't focus on Casval as much.
Nov 21, 2016 7:10 AM

May 2013
I'm confused here. So this OVA will end in 4 or 6 episode? I thought the fourth will be the final? Anyone can clarify?
Nov 21, 2016 8:09 AM

Jan 2010
There will be another short OVA, covering the Battle of Loum: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/05/23-1/gundam-the-origin-anime-continues-to-battle-of-loum-arc . It doesn't really matter if you count it as a part of The Origin OVA or as a new one.

Anyway Loum will be cool as hell to see. Part of that battle was in the first episode of IGLOO too, but from Zeon perspective.
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
Nov 21, 2016 1:50 PM

Feb 2008
This was definitely Gundam, the finest of political intrigue as well as enthralling combat scenes.

I actually found glimpses into Tem Ray's personality the most interesting parts of the OAV. Particularly his attitude towards his mentor as well as his research, which made professor Minovsky's death even more tragic. Even as Tem was about to witness Minovsky's death, he still favoured his ambitions.

Overall, an excellent package, as always. The prelude to the One Year War gave me the shivers... Of course, Char didn't disappoint either.

Nov 21, 2016 3:50 PM
Jul 2014
Went into this expecting it to be the finale. Glad more is coming out as I'm enjoying this take of the original Gundam series.

As innovative and pioneering as MSG was in 1979, it did not age well with time at all and as a result I always thought the OVA's like 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, IGLOO and most recently Thunderbolt did the overarching story a lot more justice than the main series with their balancing of great production on top of the story.

Now though, the original story is finally being done justice.
Nov 21, 2016 10:07 PM

Jan 2010
I'm of the exactly same opinion. Tomino left huge holes in the story and characters when he did 0079, Zeta, ZZ, etc. and the OVA's fill that void very nicely, making the UC Gundam universe complete.
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
Nov 22, 2016 12:50 PM

May 2010
When will the dub for episode 4 release?
Nov 23, 2016 12:09 AM

Apr 2011
Great 4th epd! We gotta wait a long time for epd 5.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Nov 23, 2016 1:00 AM

Jan 2009
those mobile suits of Zeon kick ass, now time for the federation to show the Gundam to counter those mobile suits

so thats Lalah the lover of Char, not bad morena/brown girls are hot
Nov 23, 2016 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
I'm disappointed to "not see Zenna Mia be made a Mobile Suit pilot". It could've been Zenna x Char! Why did Dozle had to ruin the fun? I have been wondering how did Char exactly knew about Foreman? Was he found out by him or he went to them by himself? I feel episode 4 is too rushed. It should've been slower pace. Good to see Kai Shiden being a delinquent. I'm surprised he got held back. Didn't see Hayato, Ryu, Sayla, Bright, Mirai. I wish I could've see them. Make episode 5!
Nov 23, 2016 9:01 PM

May 2015
That scene where Char shot down the MS carrier, that was such a nice homage to the end of 0079...

There is no denying that Char has always been a borderline sociopath, but again, I put him at the same level as the Zabi's at worst. and the episode ended where Char get his name Red Comet, by killing/shooting down multiple battleships in his first battle.
Nov 24, 2016 6:34 PM
Apr 2014
This one was very good plot wise, the animation quality was excellent especially during the battle on the moon.

They really capture the emotion when Char gets that psychotic look in his eyes.
Nov 24, 2016 10:37 PM

May 2010
That was the coolest Gundam fight I've ever seen. Yay gravity and axes.
Nov 25, 2016 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
Maybe it's the least exciting among those seen so far, however, we must make the merits he has. I would start by the further characterization of the characters, especially in Casval, and for revealing the events as they went, noting again function in the narrative, as personal interests, have monopolized the events in their evolution. Figure Amuro is faithful to the original, ditto for Frau; I hope that in the next OVA still mentions them, in order to know them better within. From here begins the myth of the Red Comet, but those MS precursors of the "Gundam" remind me so much of the Guntank, they do not go out after the RX-78? Not bad animations, CG good, but not excellent. well finished drawings, shame that the voice actress of Lalah is not the same, but I like his voice the same.
terrablu2003Nov 25, 2016 7:34 AM
Dec 4, 2016 6:23 PM

Dec 2008
I cannot hate Char Aznable no matter how hard I try. He is charismatic as fuck!!!
Jan 4, 2017 3:08 PM

Feb 2012
I wished G-Tekketsu had the same level of gore as the scene where Char fights the spinning disc blade decapitator guy.

YAY FRAW!!! Haro itai itai when Tem Ray kicks him.

IMMORTAL KAI SHIDEN IS HERE!

KyciliaCatherine needs better subordinates.

So that was a scaled down RX-78 arm in Tem Ray's room
Fortress_MaximusJan 5, 2017 7:43 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 13, 2017 6:12 PM

Sep 2013
Anime is good so far, the only downside was episode 1. And with that I mean especially the Char's father delirium. I only watched the movies from the MSG, but I was expecting him to be a smart person. I know he was sick and stuff, but the only image I had from him in this anime was that he was a messianic jerk. We need another flasback like they did with the mom scene (where they meet) to fix that. Otherwise he will just be another boring villain and will make Char's path less meaningful or "noble".
Aug 1, 2017 7:23 PM
Jul 2017
Good episode, and would definitely be upset if Origin wasn't continued. I just watched the 4 eps past week, can't imagine some of you waiting years to see 5 & 6. This wait time is crazy! Although the quality is high, and longer episodes.

Interesting to see Moon cities like Granada be
Guess I'll have to rewatch all the other UC content again. Poor me! :)

Can't wait for next episode!
Aug 10, 2017 4:45 AM

Dec 2015
The 10 minutes of the OAV5's beginning are available since yesterday:

@CodeBlazeFate
@laughterjones
Oct 4, 2017 2:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
How meet Char and Lalah in the earth!!!
And the born of the Red Comet of Zeon!!!! kekeke
Started the great battle 0079 UC and the one of the best, a boy named Amuro is afraid boy!!!
Was a incredible episode full of anecdotes!!!;)
Aug 1, 2019 3:27 AM

Dec 2012
Lino's photo.
Dozle shaking in his boots.
lol at Zenna not packing heat today.
Harakiri.
Dozle wants Zenna to be the mother of his children. Skipping steps.
Agha survives this. *ding*
Dat betrayal.
OH SHIT! HIS HEAD CAME OFF!
Char dodged the blade.
In the head.
Fraw.
lol Amuro had a girl over dressed like that? He smashed... right?
UC 0078.
Ramba.
Char is Red.
Minovsky is dead.
RX-78. Gundam.
Haro likes Fraw.
UC 0079.
lol at Fraw asking Amuro if he's decent.
Amuro you baka.
Fraw crying.
Char will be back after the battle.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 29, 2019 11:43 AM

Jan 2017
Too bad that Fed had plot armor named Amuro Ray.
“A detective who corners a culprit with their reasoning and drives them to suicide in front of himself – is no different than a murderer.”
– Shinichi Kudo
Nov 12, 2019 3:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Not as good as the last episode (that's a tough bar it set).

I'm a bit confused, I don't know if its the retconning they do here, but wouldn't Lalah Sune's newtype abilities only be possible if she'd been a Spacenoid? By making her a native of Earth, they kind of make it seem like Newtype's can come from anywhere.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 18, 2020 1:18 PM

Aug 2017
I was lost by the entire Dr.Minovsky plot until the Gundams began to appear and there I understood everything. Poor old man, he was crushed to death. Not so much Char in this episode since we have more information about the world around him. Pretty good choise if u ask me.

Just like some users said it above, I thought this episode is the last one. I'm kinda curious about how this is going to end.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 3, 2020 8:37 PM

Nov 2015
so disappointing i liked the first three but this one was soo rushed maybe because the recap takes a long time to do with every passing ova D: i hope the last two would improve this but i doubt it! 7/10

💢

Jul 6, 2021 5:19 PM

Jun 2014
So, we see the beginning of the "One Year War," and we're already into 0079, mere moments away from the 1979 TV series timeline, and we're about to run right into that timeline by the looks of it.

Oct 20, 2021 5:47 AM

Dec 2014
The moment they name dropped Gundam was so damn hype.
Dec 16, 2021 11:07 AM
Feb 2016
Did I miss a detail somewhere? I understand Earth is where Char and Lalah originally met. But WHY did Char want to go to Earth? He told Dozle that he always wanted to go to Earth and be considered to pilot a mobile suit. Did he want to go so he can get experience piloting that construction mech thing?
Feb 6, 2023 11:11 AM
Sep 2022
seeing char meet up with lalah for the actual first time was pretty cool.
char is cool too lmao
Mar 15, 2023 5:03 AM
Sep 2016
Как и другие серии, очень скучно, персонажи идиоты за которыми неинтересно наблюдать.
Sep 10, 2023 5:07 PM
Aug 2018
An awesome episode from a great anime. Amuro's father is up front and center, seeing how bad this war can truly be, and Char is a crazy loose cannon! He's so cool!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 6 Discussion

Led_Wayline - Aug 8, 2018

27 by Aizakira »»
Jan 19, 6:32 AM

» Why did that 🤡 Declare war instead of making Peace Negotiations?

Perfectly_Balanc - Nov 5, 2023

4 by Armio »»
Nov 7, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 5 Discussion

Tokoya - Sep 27, 2017

49 by HadToDoIt »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:17 AM

» For direct sequel watch Gundam Zeta

Destined321 - Sep 28, 2023

16 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zurgboy00 - May 21, 2016

67 by DoisacChopper »»
Sep 28, 2023 10:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.