Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 18, 2016 9:23 PM

Mar 2016
Are the social aspects of MAL really worth paying attention to or should it just be used as a resource for logging, discovering, researching, etc. Anime/Manga?

Your thoughts?
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 18, 2016 9:24 PM

Jun 2014
The social aspect is fine, but Id get rid of my entire friend list for my anime and list though!
Nov 18, 2016 9:28 PM

Sep 2013
I don't know, you have to be pretty high-class edgy to force yourself to be a loner on the internet. It's like failing to ride a bike with training wheels.
Nov 18, 2016 9:30 PM

May 2013
No, it's better to be social and friendly. But it's all good, you can do what you want. Like take it easy, don't over stress yourself to be social just have fun.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 18, 2016 9:33 PM

Jul 2012
You do you. I've never had a positive experience on MAL, nor a negative one. It's a pretty flaccid scape.

So do as you do, and live as the Windrammer, etc...
I don't even
Nov 18, 2016 9:34 PM

Jun 2014
nep-nep said:
I don't know, you have to be pretty high-class edgy to force yourself to be a loner on the internet. It's like failing to ride a bike with training wheels.
Its understandable on mal in the very least. Unlike forums, the list is the selling point of this website with social interactions not actual priority.
Nov 18, 2016 9:37 PM
Jan 2015
Hatemonger said:
You do you. I've never had a positive experience on MAL, nor a negative one. It's a pretty flaccid scape.

So do as you do, and live as the Windrammer, etc...

This is pretty much me too. I have a few forum posts but there really isn't a social aspect of it.
Nov 18, 2016 9:42 PM

Sep 2013
Kagami said:
nep-nep said:
Its understandable on mal in the very least. Unlike forums, the list is the selling point of this website with social interactions not actual priority.
The thread title is "Better to be a loner on MAL?" so I assumed that was the undertone.
Nov 18, 2016 9:43 PM

Jun 2016
I kinda like the social aspect, talking to people that share common interests as well as learning new things to watch.
Nov 18, 2016 9:46 PM

Jan 2015
MAL is a dating site, first and foremost. I'd make friends here to look popular, in order to increase my chance of scoring that mad 3D pussy you know
Nov 18, 2016 9:48 PM

Oct 2016
I find the stories of the people making up these communities to be oft more interesting then fictional or written stories.
This place's nice in the sense that it offers both ressources for a solitaire or individualistic approach AND a community for the more social-experience oriented users.
Nov 18, 2016 9:52 PM

Sep 2014
it's kind of hard to be a loner here honestly
Nov 18, 2016 9:52 PM
Feb 2014
There's not much worth getting social here. Just stupid circlejerks that seem too hard to fit in with if you're not 100% on board with their quirks.
Nov 18, 2016 9:56 PM

Jun 2014
LaFeline said:
I find the stories of the people making up these communities to be oft more interesting then fictional or written stories.
This place's nice in the sense that it offers both ressources for a solitaire or individualistic approach AND a community for the more social-experience oriented users.

Honestly, I think some people here make up things as they type to come off cooler than they actually are. I won't say any names, but mal forums can be more fiction than fictional stories..
Nov 18, 2016 9:59 PM

Jun 2015
it's often pretty boring here, nothing interesting happens but there are times where you actually meet really good people and thus making the whole experience worth it
Nov 18, 2016 10:01 PM

Jun 2014
crashinho said:
it's often pretty boring here, nothing interesting happens but there are times where you actually meet really good people and thus making the whole experience worth it

Maybe you aren't interesting enough yourself kiddo!
Nov 18, 2016 10:04 PM

Oct 2016
Kagami said:

Honestly, I think some people here make up things as they type to come off cooler than they actually are. I won't say any names, but mal forums can be more fiction than fictional stories..

Oh, of course people are making shit up. Beyond this place, people lie. It's usually pretty easy to tell though. But i'm not just talking about having cool stories. Most have perspectives and life experiences unlike mine, which is what i usually find interesting. In MAL's case, anime is just a connecting thread between us, theres much more beyond that.
Well usually. I'm not speaking in absolutes though.
Nov 18, 2016 10:09 PM

Jun 2014
LaFeline said:
Kagami said:

Oh, of course people are making shit up. Beyond this place, people lie. It's usually pretty easy to tell though. But i'm not just talking about having cool stories. Most have perspectives and life experiences unlike mine, which is what i usually find interesting. In MAL's case, anime is just a connecting thread between us, theres much more beyond that.
Well usually. I'm not speaking in absolutes though.

For me lately I have a hard time seperating the fact from the fiction so it makes me care less or just laugh. I can tell obvious truth and obvious lies of course and seperate those, but one guy here recently said:

"I saw a hobo ask for money so I flipped his basket and said no go away!"

I actually doubt that ever happened.
Nov 18, 2016 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really socialize on mal since I barely have anything to say. Hell it takes me a week to a month to respond to a comment on my profile.
Nov 18, 2016 10:10 PM
Jan 2013
It's either the little interaction I get on MAL or no social interaction at all

The place allows me to be dumbo so I'm coo with the small talk I have with peeps even tho most of them are useless
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 10:12 PM

Feb 2015
What?

MAL friends =/= friends... That's for sure...

@Mkim your potato is outdated... Halloween is done days ago.... xD
Nov 18, 2016 10:14 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
What?

shhhsssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm lazy
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 10:14 PM

Jun 2014
Mkim said:

The place allows me to be dumbo so I'm coo with the small talk I have with peeps even tho most of them are useless

Were my small talk with you useless too?
Nov 18, 2016 10:15 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:
What?

I'm lazy

Ehhhhh?! You better change that or I'll slap your damn booty... xD
Nov 18, 2016 10:18 PM
Jan 2013
Kagami said:
Mkim said:

Were my small talk with you useless too?
I can't remember one instance where I had a actual meaningful and lasting conversation with someone

Actually I did with TheConquerer, but it was more of a pen pal situation
Really coo guy
Maybe Katsuragi33 and FreshPrinceOfMAL too I think, not so sure
But I'm not much of a guy that holds actual conversations
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 10:19 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:
I'm lazy

I'll do it in a few days bbyboy
It'll be done before Christmas at least
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 10:21 PM
Jul 2018
Kagami said:
LaFeline said:

Tis the internet afterall, for all you know I can be a 40 year old necrophile and a cannibal who rapes dead bodies and then eats them.

_Ako_ said:
What?

Well, I don't really keep any contact with my irl friends anymore so that statement just doesn't resonate with me.

OT: Yes I think they are but I guess it depends on the people Etc. Etc.
Nov 18, 2016 10:24 PM

Oct 2016
Kagami said:

For me lately I have a hard time seperating the fact from the fiction so it makes me care less or just laugh. I can tell obvious truth and obvious lies of course and seperate those, but one guy here recently said:

"I saw a hobo ask for money so I flipped his basket and said no go away!"

I actually doubt that ever happened.

Well yeah, not everything about everyone is going to be an interesting story. In your specific example, sure you can give em the benefit of the doubt and say MAYBE it's true, maybe it's not. But that depends on context. Was it just a passing comment in a thread? Does it fit that users personality? You can ask yourself some filtering questions, like are you even interested in this persons story if what he did was true? I never said you have to listen to everyone. Just that there are interesting things hidden away by a simple missed connection. Of course at this point i'm also talking beyond MAL.
Maybe just give me time, and i'll be as blasé and cynical as older MAL users.
Nov 18, 2016 10:26 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

Ohhh Christmas... I demand a santa potato! If no santa potato, I'll bury your dem booty in a pile of snow.

Darek said:

_Ako_ said:
What?

Well, I don't really keep any contact with my irl friends anymore so that statement just doesn't resonate with me.

OT: Yes I think they are but I guess it depends on the people Etc. Etc.

Lol... Stuff can happen in a weird way...

I guess the best confession you could admit/say is that you love anime to your friends, and either they'll ignore you or they wouldn't.... xD

That is basically off-topic...
Nov 18, 2016 10:28 PM

Sep 2009
nep-nep said:

I'm must be pretty damn edgy, because I don't have any friends on the internetz.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 18, 2016 10:28 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:

Ohhh Christmas... I demand a santa potato! If no santa potato, I'll bury your dem booty in a pile of snow.
Do it you bastard
I ain't making a new set so soon, even if it's just redrawing
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 10:30 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

Do it you bastard

Ehhhh?! How can a potato be stubborn?! Do you just want me to cook you instead of slapping your damn booty?
Nov 18, 2016 10:32 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:
Do it you bastard

Ehhhh?! How can a potato be stubborn?! Do you just want me to cook you instead of slapping your damn booty?
It's easier on you if you just microwave it
Stab it with a fork some times all around the potato
Then put it on the microwave for 10 minutes
it'll cook the potato well and easy
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 10:36 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

Nah, it's faster to just grab it and throw it on the garbage. Call the pizza dude, and order a pizza... xD
Nov 18, 2016 10:39 PM
Sep 2016
rar... hello pleople.
and adding to word count, bye.
Nov 18, 2016 10:41 PM

Sep 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
nep-nep said:

I'm must be pretty damn edgy, because I don't have any friends on the internetz.
Not having friends isn't a problem. Actively avoiding all possible interaction to void yourself of social activity on a website where it's neither taxing nor incriminating, however, is a bit more than strange. Such an intention is better directed to local notepad.
Nov 18, 2016 10:44 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:

Nah, it's faster to just grab it and throw it on the garbage. Call the pizza dude, and order a pizza... xD
fuck
that's right
damn right
righto
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 10:48 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

fuck
that's right
damn right
righto

And you'll be the one who's gonna pay the bills for my food because of your goddamn potato not dressed properly...xD
Nov 18, 2016 10:53 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:
fuck
that's right
damn right
righto

And you'll be the one who's gonna pay the bills for my food because of your goddamn potato not dressed properly...xD
fuck
that's wrong
damn wrong
wrongo

Make me
I'll fight you
I fight you
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 11:02 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

fuck
that's wrong
damn wrong
wrongo

Make me
I'll fight you
I fight you

Ehhhh? But I feel bad punching a weak potato who doesn't even want to put on Santa's clothes and dance, or wiggle that damn thing...

And yeah, I am still ranting about you not changing your avatar...xD
Nov 18, 2016 11:08 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:
fuck
that's wrong
damn wrong
wrongo

Make me
I'll fight you
I fight you

Ehhhh? But I feel bad punching a weak potato who doesn't even want to put on Santa's clothes and dance, or wiggle that damn thing...

WELL MAYBE I DONT WANT TO CHANGE IT ANYMORE CAUSE SOME PUSSY ASS BITCH BEEN TELLN ME TO CHANGE IT SO IT MAKES ME NOT WAN TO CHANGE IT THINKIN BOUT THAT BOY?
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 11:11 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

WELL MAYBE I DONT WANT TO CHANGE IT ANYMORE CAUSE SOME PUSSY ASS BITCH BEEN TELLN ME TO CHANGE IT SO IT MAKES ME NOT WAN TO CHANGE IT THINKIN BOUT THAT BOY?

EHHHH?! But... But... I'm just saying that for the potato to have a better "costume"... Poor potato doesn't have his santa suits on...

You lazy bummer... Just do it... xD
Nov 18, 2016 11:15 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:

EHHHH?! But... But... I'm just saying that for the potato to have a better "costume"... Poor potato doesn't have his santa suits on...

Stay away from me with your hippity hoppity hoo you dingus

You ain't making me no thing no

You ain't giving me pressure of responsability no
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 11:18 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

Do I have to drug you and really convince you to change it?
Nov 18, 2016 11:20 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:

YOU GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME

gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 11:23 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

EHHHH?! Why would I? I mean, cheap-ass vodka will probably knock you out good, and then I'll convince you to change your profile...

Come on, it's not that bad... And, why are you acting like the victim now?! WHY?!
Nov 18, 2016 11:27 PM

Mar 2016
Everyone's different, but 90% of the reason I come on here is to chat with friends and play silly forum games... But alas all my friends are asleep and I'm lonely :'(
Nov 18, 2016 11:27 PM
Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
Mkim said:

EHHHH?! Why would I? I mean, cheap-ass vodka will probably knock you out good, and then I'll convince you to change your profile...

Come on, it's not that bad... And, why are you acting like the victim now?! WHY?!
Uh
I don't drink
it's against my moral code
Uh
I don't victim
it's agains't my moral code
I'mma go sleep
Cause it's 5:30 AM
So have fun with whatever you may now
gone bai bai
Nov 18, 2016 11:31 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
_Ako_ said:

Uh
I don't drink
it's against my moral code
Uh
I don't victim
it's agains't my moral code
I'mma go sleep
Cause it's 5:30 AM
So have fun with whatever you may now

Drinking is also against my code, but doing it for someone is not...xD

Just goddamn change that dude... I want a lewd santa costume in that potato... xD

Good night... Your dreams will be full of potatoes with Santa's costume because yours still in a Halloween mode...xD
Nov 18, 2016 11:48 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
lowlysubhuman said:
it's kind of hard to be a loner here honestly

Actually it's super easy to do that.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 2 hours ago

5 by traed »»
26 seconds ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

7 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

23 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

312 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - Yesterday

9 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.