Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2006 5:52 PM

Nov 2004
An episode displaying Lavi's power, and Allen's internal struggle. Thanks to the advice of Cross Marian and Lavi, he becomes back to normal. Next episode seems to be an anime orignal (or filler as some may like to call it). Surprisingly Kanda is in it, a yay for Kanda fans otherwise he'll never appear but a bit odd how they said in this episode it would be a while before Allen ever saw Kanda again and he sees him straight away.

A more major deviation from the manga is that they healed Allen's eye in this episode too, so I'm wondering if they're gonna go and get him stabbed again in the filler. Since it's fairly important he doesn't go and get his eye healed so instantly.
Dec 29, 2006 12:35 AM

Aug 2006
hmmm, it seems odd to me. According to AniDB there will only be 52 episodes, if thats the case and they are not gonna follow the manga fully, what is the point of having fillers? especially right now when they still have quite a bit of manga material to use....

could they perhaps be taking the anime in its own unique direction? Like that of FMA?
Dec 29, 2006 12:43 AM

Nov 2004
From other forums it seems people claim the next episode is from the Reverse novels. I haven't actually read them so I didn't realize that. So I guess it wouldn't be considered a filler (or anime original). Still doesn't change the fact that they healed Allen's eye prematurely.

I do think they are gonna catch up to the manga if they go at their current pace. And it will be harder to insert anything new once the main arc starts. But the fillers will probably become dull from an anime watchers point of view if D. Gray-man is made up of nothing but monster of the week episodes. The "oh let's go on our next Akuma hunting mission" formula is gonna get old soon.

Going from a different direction like FMA could be possible. And like FMA has shown this wouldn't be a bad thing. As long as it isn't like Black Cat.
Dec 29, 2006 1:46 AM

Aug 2006
What seems odd to me is that, like you said, they could easily catch up to the manga with 52 episodes, so if they truly have 52 planned it makes me think that they want to take it in their own direction

:) well it will definatly be interesting to see what happens
running_lemonDec 29, 2006 1:52 AM
Jan 3, 2007 12:19 PM
Jan 10, 2007 7:12 AM

Dec 2006
Ah, so the uniforms have a purpose. Interesting. A neat episode.
Jan 25, 2007 3:35 PM
Feb 2005
yeah, I liked this episode. I especially like how they pointed out that Allen is unique with his eye and therefore doesn't experience this innate fear and distrust that all of the other exorcists feel every moment. While I thought this series seemed pretty childish in the beginning, recent episodes have definitely made me think twice about the intended audience.

Although I still don't like that the main char is still so damned young... 15, WTF ?!
Jan 25, 2007 6:40 PM

Aug 2006
...off topic...

Doth my eyes deceive me?? Why no!!! It's the young and annoying (albeit loveable) Koreth, come to grace us with his presence!!! *in my best southern drawl* Why I do declare... Hell hath frozen over!! **snicker**

...off topic rant over...
Jan 26, 2007 5:45 AM

Nov 2004
Koreth said:
Although I still don't like that the main char is still so damned young... 15, WTF ?!

I don't really disagree with u but remember FMA =P ed was 15 pretty much of the time
Sep 24, 2008 6:38 PM

Aug 2008
Aokaado said:
Koreth said:[/b said:
Although I still don't like that the main char is still so damned young... 15, WTF ?!</div>

I don't really disagree with u but remember FMA =P ed was 15 pretty much of the time

seems pretty standard for this type of anime though, 14 or 15 (yusuke yurameshi, Ichigo Kurasaki, most Gundam protagonists, I think Luffy from One Piece is about that age too)

I like Lavi's character, & I especially enjoy him squashing demons w/ that big @$$ hammer
Jan 30, 2009 10:14 PM

Jan 2009
Love how the exorcist face/see human and Akuma. Glad Allen find his solution.:D Nice and beautiful ending.:) Timcanpy is always so cute.:) 5/5
Apr 26, 2009 8:50 PM

Mar 2009
Great ep, Lavi pwns!!! I'm not sure of the direction now though, cause they healed his eye already, idk. It sux for me too,cause I'm watching the dub, and having to wait for the next boxset to come out, like 3 more weeks T___T...Urahara Out!!
Jun 25, 2009 11:48 AM

Jan 2009
Just gotta say, I really Love Lavi's hammer : D that's the kinda handy thing you've always wanted since you were a kid, a hammer which is extendable and sizable : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 20, 2009 6:00 AM

Jul 2009
oO I never thought about those Exorcists unable to see the Akuma...

Very nice Episode ^^

Lenalee is awesome and cute =)
Right! Hope, she recovers soon ^^
Nov 20, 2009 12:37 PM

Jan 2009
Damn, I love Lavi already *_*
But I love Allen more :p

Jan 1, 2010 4:53 PM
Apr 2008
Good episode. A lot more is learnt about Allen and Lavi.
Jan 13, 2010 10:04 AM

Dec 2008
andrewsch5658 said:
Love how the exorcist face/see human and Akuma. Glad Allen find his solution.:D Nice and beautiful ending.:) Timcanpy is always so cute.:) 5/5

Yup, he is
"No one can talk about the bookman but the bookman"
lol and it was a nice ending.

Jan 19, 2010 11:19 AM

Sep 2008
Now that was a fantastic episode, I thought. Allen's inner struggle was portrayed very well, and learning about Lavi was interesting and captivating. Nice character interaction going on too. I felt like the episode put a lot of things in perspective that were necessary for the audience to know... So yeah, I'm happy. :)
Mar 17, 2010 1:31 AM

Jan 2009
running_lemon said:
What seems odd to me is that, like you said, they could easily catch up to the manga with 52 episodes, so if they truly have 52 planned it makes me think that they want to take it in their own direction

:) well it will definatly be interesting to see what happens

I think there's over a hundred now, so that would make like what, 4 or 5 seasons
Mar 17, 2010 1:32 AM

Jan 2009
yami_shinyi said:
Ah, so the uniforms have a purpose. Interesting. A neat episode.

I really like there uniforms, I think they look real cool
Apr 13, 2010 6:45 PM
Sep 2009
that was a badass hammer
Sep 26, 2010 7:22 PM

Sep 2010
Really, Lavi? Trying to catch the golden snitch like that?

Feb 17, 2011 9:12 AM

Jul 2010
Quite a strong episode, it was nice to know how other exorcists see demons from their perspective.
Feb 21, 2011 6:42 PM

Jul 2009
Lavi ftw!
Sep 8, 2011 1:59 PM

Feb 2010
Oosran said:
Just gotta say, I really Love Lavi's hammer : D that's the kinda handy thing you've always wanted since you were a kid, a hammer which is extendable and sizable : D

lol true :P nice hammer would be a blast to have one of these for your childhood (hell even now I would happy with one lol)

merle_noir said:
Now that was a fantastic episode, I thought. Allen's inner struggle was portrayed very well, and learning about Lavi was interesting and captivating. Nice character interaction going on too. I felt like the episode put a lot of things in perspective that were necessary for the audience to know... So yeah, I'm happy. :)

Yea lol I never though about it that way, to think others have to go throught the struggle of not being able to trust anyone dam.
Sheepshaman.png
Sep 8, 2011 2:47 PM

Jul 2010
The uniforms have meaning (they have to what else is it for fashon?)
Well the episode was great and kind of well said.
Allen's dubbed voice is HOT!!! (yes i know it's Todd)
Lavi pretty cool powers can't wait to see more of his powers in DUB. I've seened the whole thing but worth wacthing again!!!
Dec 13, 2011 6:35 PM

Dec 2009
I actually liked this episode. It changed the way I see the exorcists from these series a little d:
Dec 21, 2011 1:07 PM

Jun 2011
I love Lavi! He's so cute/ funny.
Aug 1, 2012 6:20 PM

Oct 2011
yay lavi! hese a cool guy im gald they put him in ,but i still like ganta and allen better
Dec 12, 2012 4:24 AM

May 2012
Nice episode, great action and a nice sight on how other exorcists need to handle the demons! Lavi seems like quite a fun character his weapon is also quite nice!
Jan 2, 2013 3:48 PM

Jan 2012
Lavi was badass. That damn hammer rocks! Loved this episode.

Jul 4, 2013 5:15 PM

Jan 2013
I always thought Lavi is a kid in the opening, turns out he is crouching there :). Also why is he top main character? Isn't Allen the main main character? (I'm talking about how they are listed in the characters section of the anime, hmm).
Jul 13, 2013 1:40 AM

Mar 2013
In a way, Allen has it easy with that eye of his.

Somehow that hammer really suits Lavi's character, ha.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Jun 6, 2014 3:20 AM

Aug 2013
I never really thought about how scary it is for Exorcists to walk in public not knowing who's human and who's an akuma. Allen's really lucky he has his left eye.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 29, 2014 5:38 AM

Jun 2012
Pretty amazed. Reading a topic on a prominent mma forum and found a guy who sounds just like Yoshi when he's having a bad day....and his username is....EVILYOSHIDA (yes in caps).

http://www.MixedMartialArts.com/thread/1964223/Misconceptions-About-Yamamoto-and-Gomi/?&page=1
Becomes clear by page 3
"The f**ker who goes round beating people to a pulp. He thinks it'll never happen to himself. But there's gonna be a day when the f**ker gets f**king beaten to a pulp too. But that day's f**king today and the guy doing the beating is a f**king c**t." - Sang-hoon, Breathless (2009)
May 17, 2016 12:00 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I actually had the same question as Allen when he was little about wearing flashy clothes that is obvious to people (or some people, looks like most ppl aren't aware of the existence of exorcists or Akuma). Turns out there was a reason for it. Recent episodes have been giving me a double take, I do like the depth it's going for. Like other people, it also never occurred to me the fear and necessary paranoia the other exorcists go through. Being an exorcist really isn't a joke, and it's no wonder only Allen seem to be shocked that a human could be on the side of the Millennium Earl and the Akuma. I guess getting his eye hurt was sort of a blessing in disguise, opening his eyes to what it really means to be an exorcist and furthering his resolve. Lavi was right, Allen is a child, and he's naive. Only naive people would think that there would be no humans that side with the Akuma.

Loved Lavi's intro, he's so chill. Always need one of those upbeat guys around, and he's the best kind since while he's upbeat, he isn't an idiot either. Lavi's hammer Innocence is cool too, although it's quite destructive... At first I didn't feel like SuzuKen fit Lavi's image, but after a few minutes I think it's good. I can't say next season's Hanaecchi as Lavi will be any better though, lol.
Apr 19, 2018 4:45 AM

Dec 2017
It seems that Lavi will have a big role in the events in the coming times because, as it appeared, it seems to me somewhat strong and finally Allen's eye has returned to this very cool
Oct 4, 2018 8:32 PM
Aug 2012
Finally! Lavi is introduced and oh boy he's an adorable goofball, with an amazing ability. I really enjoyed his big brother approach towards Allen, I hope to see tons more of this character's personality and development. Within this important episode, we watch Allen become caught up with his hardships and some from surrounding friends, even foes. He's come to the realizations that within the world he's in not everyone has the power of his left eye, this was an important thing for him to go through, as the character now has the freedom to develop not only skill wise but also characteristic wise too. This was a very nice epsidoe and possibly my favorite so far! cannot wait to see more of the gang!
Apr 16, 2021 1:52 AM

Feb 2020
Good episode. I'm really liking Lavi so far.
Jul 7, 2022 2:27 PM

May 2018
The uniforms being lures are actually a pretty neat idea, though not good for the Exorcists' mental health
Dec 20, 2022 12:16 PM

May 2020
Lavi's a certified likeable character, I can already feel. Not just talk but he has moves too, with that super flexible hammer of his. And quite an acceptable aspect towards Akuma as well, because unlike Allen these people have no way of knowing who's human and who's akuma, so better view everyone as latter.

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 51 Discussion

ashura - Oct 5, 2007

24 by Cammell »»
Mar 23, 6:49 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 20 Discussion

kie_ - Sep 14, 2008

27 by Gouveiaa »»
Jan 10, 4:08 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 3 Discussion

andrewsch5658 - Jan 30, 2009

27 by lovefromyani »»
Jan 10, 12:43 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 2 Discussion

andrewsch5658 - Jan 30, 2009

41 by lovefromyani »»
Dec 26, 2023 1:40 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 16, 2008

83 by lovefromyani »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.