Forum Settings
Forums

Obama: Congress stopped me from helping Trump supporters

New
Nov 15, 2016 12:22 PM

Jan 2009
President Barack Obama blamed congressional Republicans on Tuesday for blocking his efforts to address the economic concerns of the American people before President-elect Donald Trump and others exploited it for political gain.

“And frankly that was — that's been my agenda for the last eight years,” Obama said at a joint news conference with Greece Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras in Athens. “I think raising wages, investing in infrastructure, making sure that people have access to good education that equip them for the jobs of the future, those are all agenda items that would help alleviate some of the economic fractures and dislocations that people are experiencing.”

Obama noted that despite congressional intransigence, his approval rating remains high. Maybe Americans “just wanted to shake things up,” the president mused as he sought to explain why Trump won the election despite his popularity and the fact, he said, that people are “indisputably better off.”

As for whether Trump's voters will now get what they want, Obama said it's too soon to say.

“Time will now tell whether the prescriptions being offered, whether Brexit or with respect to the U.S. election, ends up actually satisfying those people who have been fearful or angry or concerned,” Obama said. “Those folks who voted for the president-elect are better off than they were when I came into office, for the most part. But we'll see whether those facts affect people's calculations in the next election.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-congress-trump-voters-231409

lets just hope that the poor voters (which is the majority) of Trump voters will get what they expected, but ye im skeptical if they will get the improvements they want
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 15, 2016 12:50 PM

May 2010
A lot of trump voters don't want the minimum wage to go up. It should match inflation but artificial increases generally just hurts the economy. As far as investing in infrastructure goes, talk is cheap, and we haven't seen action for years. And the actions he's taken for education has largely hurt our education.

He can say that he's attempted to do all these things, but if that's really the case, then he's just done a bad job at it.
Nov 15, 2016 1:03 PM

Nov 2009
Sounds somewhat disingenuous if you ask me. Neither party has been (or will be) gung-ho about helping the working class.

I wouldn't be shocked if anything Obama tried to pass that would have helped the working class (if he did push anything) would have been blocked by Republicans in congress (and probably many Democrats as well), but had the roles been reversed, Democrats in Congress would have blocked anything a Republican president tried to push through as well.

However I will call bull shit on either party really making an effort, both are very economically conservative, and more interested in protecting and even helping the interests of big business rather than improving the situation of the working class.

The fact that when people get political, they instantly jump to cultural issues like Gun Control or Abortion, instead of economic concerns is why this whole farce is so toxic, you know that in the back rooms both parties are having a massive orgy on stacks of money while the American people truly believe the two parties are battling each other.
Nov 15, 2016 8:12 PM
Jul 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
Sounds somewhat disingenuous if you ask me. Neither party has been (or will be) gung-ho about helping the working class.

Remember, Obama does not represent the entire democratic party. It's not disingenuous. He isn't saying that Democrats never block a Republican president's efforts. He is saying that his efforts have been blocked. They are not the same. The Republicans blocked the Democratic Party and Obama's effort (so, yes. The Democrats did so something on their own as well). Obama isn't bad at all. I wouldn't say he is perfect, but he has definitely fought for the people. He has overseen largest relative increase in anti-inequality spending since LBJ.

Things proposed by Obama and Democrats that are blocked by Republicans:
Retraining workers displaced by free trade (blocked by Republicans)

Republicans block $60B infrastructure plan.

Blocked bill to end tax breaks for outsourcing.

Blocks free community college.

So if you're wondering whether he pushed anything at all, the answer is yes. Now, to talk about the hypothetical situation you have brought up. Will Democrats block anything a Republican president tries to push through? Well, you can always look back in history. The answer is no. They wouldn't block Republicans just because they dislike them. Democrats usually represent more Americans than Republicans do. Of course, the Democratic Party is interested in protecting big businesses as well. I wouldn't say that they are free of corruption. However, they definitely do care more about the interests of the majority of Americans more than the Republicans do.

It is only comparable if you look at both parties as the same (when they are not). They represent different ideologies, and their party environment is also different. So are they both extremely corrupted and bad? No. Republicans are arguably more of an asshole than Democrats. I mean, look at this. No one needs to lie about this. They themselves said that they wanted Obama to be a one-term president. They aren't even hiding it. They blocked his efforts simply because they didn't like him. They didn't care about big businesses or anything. They just wanted Obama to fail.

Then again, we must remember that the Congress make laws. The president has limited power, but Obama has done what he could. Perhaps it's still not much in people's eyes, but it'll actually be disingenuous if you were to invalidate all his efforts. The Senate holds legislative power, and the Republicans acted like a bunch of kids. They then blamed everything on Obama.

I'm not even a supporter of the Democratic Party or Republican Party. I don't even need to be biased to look for evidence that are against Republicans. They aren't the same, and the Republicans are definitely far worst. Of course, you can pretend all the evidence are fake and were conjured by the Democratic Party to brainwash everyone. If that's the narrative you want to take, that's fine too.

I feel like you're only tackling the surface of American politics.

[quote=Thrashinuva message=48589691
He can say that he's attempted to do all these things, but if that's really the case, then he's just done a bad job at it.[/quote]

Sorry, but I think you're only allowed to say that once you have examined the situation properly. You blamed him for inaction, but please see the above links. If you genuinely believe that the President has more power than the Congress, than you're horribly wrong. Unless you're delusional, you'll realize that Trump has just as much power as Obama. Trump isn't the one running the country, he is a puppet for the Republicans who are controlling all three branches.

If you're only going to blame Obama without offering any facts, then you're just parroting what others have said. The problem with a lot of you people is that you never bother to check the facts. Like the Republicans, you would just blame everything on him. There are no pros or cons in your eyes. There are just cons. It's incredibly unfortunate seeing how people act like you do. At the very least...do some research. You're not God. You're an average person. If you are so smart that you know everything about the country without doing any researches, then you would be the one running the country, no?
SamhiuyNov 15, 2016 8:19 PM
Nov 15, 2016 8:33 PM

Dec 2013
@Thrashinuva

Yeah increasing minimum wage only makes the United States even more uncompetitive in the global markets as well as hurting middle class and lower class businesses that can't afford paying 5-10 employees 15 dollars an hour.
Nov 15, 2016 8:43 PM

Oct 2012
Thrashinuva said:
A lot of trump voters don't want the minimum wage to go up. It should match inflation but artificial increases generally just hurts the economy. As far as investing in infrastructure goes, talk is cheap, and we haven't seen action for years. And the actions he's taken for education has largely hurt our education.

He can say that he's attempted to do all these things, but if that's really the case, then he's just done a bad job at it.

I think raising wages is pretty retarded anyway, and it was one of the main reasons i wasn't exactly thrilled with Bernie's economics. They'd help the poor much more by subsidizing necessities like food, utilities, and overall, reducing the cost of living for the poor. Raising the minimum wage does the opposite because you'll just end up raising the cost of living and force those who don't have a stable income source into comming up with more money.

Unless their plan is to force more people onto welfare, which is exactly what raising the minimum wage drastically will end up doing.
Nov 15, 2016 8:50 PM

Jan 2009
Seattle have increase their minimum wage and there is no negative effect

Minimum-wage opponents who claim that increases will cripple local economies, either overall or even in their low-wage sectors, thus get no help from the Seattle results. The study’s authors point out that one challenge in teasing out minimum-wage effects was that the Seattle economy “boomed” over this period, posting growth rates that “tripled the national average” and “outpaced Seattle’s own robust performance in recent years.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/10/so-far-the-seattle-minimum-wage-increase-is-doing-what-its-supposed-to-do/
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.