Forum Settings
Forums

What's your reaction when someone corrects your grammar?

New
Nov 14, 2016 12:34 AM

Nov 2013
What's your reaction when someone corrects your grammar? Like, when people point out a grammatical error in your message?
Example:
I used to say "the Japaneses" as a plural noun, but then someone made fun of me, saying that I should say "the Japanese" instead of "the Japaneses". And then I never made the same mistake again.

So, I usually thank people when they correct me since they were kind enough in doing me a favor by spending their time correcting me, when obviously they could have just ignored me and let me commit the same mistake over and over again.

But I don't like to correct people, since while I know there are people who will thank me for it, I also know there are people who will think I'm making fun of them and think I'm trying to make them feel small by doing it. And there are other people who intentionally write wrong for whatever reason or are just being lazy. So I always hesitate before pointing out a grammatical error.

What about you? Do you usually correct people? And what's your reaction when someone corrects your grammar?
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 14, 2016 12:52 AM

Jan 2014
I can't recall the last time I've had my grammar corrected. Either I'm just that good, or the people I usually talk to don't care about it that much.

I'm of the opinion that grammar and spelling corrections in normal conversation are a bit overly-pedantic and just interrupt the flow of discussion. Most mistakes are so minor that they don't affect the readability of the message, so it only adds unneeded awkwardness to the conversation.

I still like to mentally catalogue the types of mistakes my friends make regularly, though. I will never bother bringing it up with them, but they can rest assured knowing I will make fun of them in secret until they correct it themselves. They'll learn on their own, eventually.
Abby-Nov 14, 2016 12:57 AM
Nov 14, 2016 12:54 AM

Jun 2016
I thank them. Like, "hey thanks for preventing me from becoming an even bigger dumbass than I was before"

behind these hills
i'm reaching for the heights

Nov 14, 2016 12:57 AM

Jul 2013
i either want to kill myself or kill the person who corrected me ;-;

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Nov 14, 2016 1:01 AM
Jul 2018
Based on experience, when someone corrects my grammar around specific words when either talking during a conversation, or when writing a paragraph or giving a thought about it, I don't usually mind it. In fact, when people corrects me on what I say per say, if I wrote a sentence wrong or, when I write a word wrong, I usually would thank them, just as long as they don't act rude of course...

Because there are some people that can sometimes be like that, you know? In a way.
Nov 14, 2016 1:03 AM

Mar 2016
I usually thank people for correcting my grammatical mistakes but not so if they mock me for wrong grammar.

I usually correct other people grammar.
Mostly when they write "your" for "you're" and vice versa, I feel like punching them on the face.
Nov 14, 2016 1:13 AM

Jun 2015
Engrish is my sird language prease collect me!!!
Nov 14, 2016 1:42 AM

Mar 2016
I was grateful when someone does that. . . Even someone corrected my grammar rudely, I still thanked them. Because I learned something from them corrected my grammar.

English is my third language, and I was hate it back then in the school. So, I know that my grammar is really bad.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Nov 14, 2016 2:08 AM

Dec 2015
Only dumb people get mad about having their grammar corrected.
Nov 14, 2016 2:31 AM
Jul 2018

I'm thankful to them, because if correction comes from native English speaker it's natural to appreciate that.
Nov 14, 2016 2:50 AM

Dec 2015
That has never happened to me, so I'm not really sure. I'll probably be thankful unless he says it in a way that makes fun of me.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 14, 2016 2:53 AM

Aug 2013
I thank them, because it's an opportunity for me to improve my English further.
Nov 14, 2016 2:58 AM

Jan 2012
Language existed before grammar enthusiasts , I could give two shits as long as I know what your talking about.

Nov 14, 2016 2:59 AM

Apr 2016
Hard to express myself with words so...

- This...
Nov 14, 2016 3:03 AM

Jun 2011
I would be thankful to them, but sometimes people can come off as a jerk and have a condescending tone when they correct you, so I would be like "dude, why you gotta be so rude"
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 14, 2016 3:12 AM

Aug 2016
It's alright to me if someone corrects my grammar (bcs english isn't my native language) as long as that person doesn't sound too haughty
Nov 14, 2016 3:47 AM

Jan 2016
I will send them friend request and ask them to check my grammar every time I need it. jk. oh, wait. I might be serious. I'm very welcome to criticism no matter how they do it. If someone do it harshly, I just laughed because looks like something is wrong with them, like, why get so outrageous over grammar?
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
Nov 14, 2016 4:05 AM
Jul 2018
I'm just like "oh okay" and then I move on....
Nov 14, 2016 4:10 AM
Jul 2018
I would thank them for correcting my grammar. It's more kind to alert somebody about their mistakes than it is to let them slide.
Nov 14, 2016 4:19 AM

Oct 2014
English is not my native language, so I really like when someone corrects my grammar. Probably I will not do the same mistake again.
Nov 14, 2016 7:00 AM

May 2013
I encourage others to correct my grammar. I cant recall how many times ive posted shit, just to smack myself once I read it over, because the grammar was off.
Nov 14, 2016 8:45 AM

May 2016
I'd stay awake late at night thinking of how embarrassing it was xD

I have to confess that I take pride in my "Englishing" because it's one of the few things I'm good at. As rare as it is, I don't really take corrections very well but I can always laugh it off and forget about it ever happening :P

Nov 14, 2016 8:46 AM

Nov 2013
Ryo_Misaki said:
Engrish is my sird language prease collect me!!!

Kurniawan_Ktr said:
I was grateful when someone does that. . . Even someone corrected my grammar rudely, I still thanked them. Because I learned something from them corrected my grammar.

English is my third language, and I was hate it back then in the school. So, I know that my grammar is really bad.

Well, this is the point.
Ryo Misaki is definitely just joking because it tells you when you write a word wrong.
But I really can't tell if Kurniawan is joking or serious.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Nov 14, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2015
That never even happens.
Not in real life at least.
Nov 14, 2016 8:50 AM

Jul 2015
Hey, thanks, man.

Life is completely different after you pass that 10yo milestone
Nov 14, 2016 8:56 AM

Oct 2015
I just say "Oh ok, um thanks". I mean, there is nothing to say after that,really
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Nov 14, 2016 8:59 AM

Feb 2015
I just fall back on the "Burh, English ain't my first laguage". It's pretty convenient and almost always turns someone correcting your grammar to someone commending you on your English.

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven

Nov 14, 2016 9:20 AM

Nov 2016
I appreciate, cause I'm leaning english .. so please always do this :D
There's no heart without you!

Nov 14, 2016 9:30 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Depends... I appreciate when they point out my mistake and tell me how it should be done - you never stop learning.
But when that person is trying to be a dick or pointing out grammar/spelling mistake is their last ditch effort in an argument then I don't really give a shit.
Nov 14, 2016 9:33 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well I'm generally the one pointing out others' mistakes rather than vice versa. Guess that's just the way I was raised

Rather out of habit I usually read through my own words and correct any mistakes I happen to find even when just posting on internet forums like this
Nov 14, 2016 10:27 AM
Aug 2016
i can learn if someone corrects my grammar. because i prefer learn some english by talking to other person than learn it on my class(it just so boring)
i don't understand many of vocab too, so i usually open a dictionary software on my pc
Nov 14, 2016 10:33 AM

Nov 2016
i thank them for correcting me genuinely cause its nice to know proper way tho ill just continue my lazy way
Nov 14, 2016 11:01 AM

Jun 2016
I appreaciate it, so long as it's done in a civilized manner.
Nov 14, 2016 11:02 AM

May 2016
SymphoniacTippy said:
In fact, when people correct me on what I say per se ("per se" doesn't really work here, and is not actually based on English), if I wrote a sentence wrongly or, when I write a word wrongly (or, if you prefer, as many people do, "incorrectly;" it looks more natural, I guess), I usually would thank them, just as long as they don't act rude of course...

Kurniawan_Ktr said:
I am grateful when someone does that (be wary of tense shifts). . . Even when someone corrected my grammar rudely, I still thanked them. Because I learned something from them correcting my grammar.

English is my third language, and I hated it back then in school. So, I know that my grammar is really bad.

RJBScarletRain said:
Probably I will not do the same mistake again.

Adverbs of certainty (probably, certainly, obviously, etc.) are placed after the "be" verb, i.e. "I will probably not make the same mistake again." Note that "make" is used here rather than "do." This is because you are creating a sentence, not performing it.
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Nov 14, 2016 12:36 PM

Nov 2013
VagueClarity said:
SymphoniacTippy said:
In fact, when people correct me on what I say per se ("per se" doesn't really work here, and is not actually based on English), if I wrote a sentence wrongly or, when I write a word wrongly (or, if you prefer, as many people do, "incorrectly;" it looks more natural, I guess), I usually would thank them, just as long as they don't act rude of course...

Are you sure? I thought it was okay to use wrong instead of wrongly. I actually used google for it before doing it, since I'm using "wrong" instead of "wrongly" in the opening post. And I found this:

"Wrongly is an adverb, but that doesn't mean that wrong can't be one too. Wrongly is an adverb, and the word comes up a lot in news stories: people are wrongly arrested, wrongly jailed, wrongly convicted, and wrongly released. ... But wrong can also be an adverb—and a noun, verb, and an adjective."

Please tell me if I'm missing something. English is not my first language so, chances are high you probably know more than me about it.
― Saint Augustine
Nov 14, 2016 1:00 PM

Mar 2016
@pkKodama
eh??? Why?? I was being serious.

Well, I was born and raised in a rural village (or town) which has it's own language. It's completely different from my national language (their structures and vocabulary), even the letters that used to write are different. I used my national language more often after I was moving to a new city for studying at university. So, basically, my first language is my mother language, my second language is my national language, and english comes as the third language for me.

I hated learning english back then. I hated being forced by teachers to remembering words, tenses and such. I was avoiding english as much as possible, even until my first year at university. But later, I realized that english is so important nowadays.

Then, I tried learning english by myself using books and internet. But honestly, learning english using books didn't going well. I also tried socializing with people from different countries in online games I'd played. That's when I met different types of people. Since I was really bad in english, some people made fun of me, while some others corrected my grammar mistake friendly.

In 2013, I met a british english native speaker who is being my online-friend later. I had chatted with him almost everyday and I tried to imitate the way he talked. Sometimes, I also asked him about the phrases' meaning that he used. I've learned many english-related things from our chat. That's how I learn english. So, I honestly don't know if my grammar is being better or not, since I just try to be an english speaker.

@VagueClarity thanks for correcting my mistakes friend :)
Kurniawan_KtrNov 14, 2016 1:18 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
Nov 14, 2016 1:00 PM

May 2016
pkKodama said:
VagueClarity said:

Are you sure? I thought it was okay to use wrong instead of wrongly. I actually used google for it before doing it, since I'm using "wrong" instead of "wrongly" in the opening post. And I found this:

"Wrongly is an adverb, but that doesn't mean that wrong can't be one too. Wrongly is an adverb, and the word comes up a lot in news stories: people are wrongly arrested, wrongly jailed, wrongly convicted, and wrongly released. ... But wrong can also be an adverb—and a noun, verb, and an adjective."

Please tell me if I'm missing something. English is not my first language so, chances are high you probably know more than me about it.

Hm. You're right on that. There are several instances where words like that can be used as adverbs. I hadn't considered that, to be honest—and looking at it, "wrongly" does indeed give it a different connotation. I tend to look for whatever is both grammatically correct and has the best aesthetic sense, which is why I mentioned "incorrectly;" as a writer, one of the things I hate the most is creating a sentence that sounds awkward. That seems to have led me astray. My apologies.

(It's been a while since I last made a mistake like that. Always good to learn more, though.)

Edit:
@Kurniawan_Ktr You're perfectly understandable as you are; right now, the only things I notice are some errors regarding tenses, and those are common even among native speakers. The only time I can see you having a problem is if you're submitting a formal essay or report, and even then, again, many native speakers make the same sorts of mistakes; I've seen worse grammar in reputable scientific articles than in your posts.
VagueClarityNov 14, 2016 1:06 PM
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Nov 14, 2016 1:06 PM

Nov 2008
No one ever corrects my grammar, and I don't correct other people.

Nov 14, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2012
It's either "yeahyeahyeayhyeahyeahyeahIknowshutup"

or I get a sassy black girl attitude
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Nov 14, 2016 1:15 PM

Mar 2016
@VagueClarity waah. . . Thanks for the compliment, you made my day, sir. :)

edit: honestly, sometimes I had many things to write but I limited myself to only write the sentences that I think people will understand. It might be due to human nature that afraid to make a mistakes.
Kurniawan_KtrNov 14, 2016 1:23 PM
Nov 14, 2016 1:26 PM

Nov 2013
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
@pkKodama
eh??? Why?? I was being serious.

Well, I was born and raised in a rural village (or town) which has it's own language. It's completely different from my national language (their structures and vocabulary), even the letters that used to write are different. I used my national language more often after I was moving to a new city for studying at university. So, basically, my first language is my mother language, my second language is my national language, and english comes as the third language for me.

I hated learning english back then. I hated being forced by teachers to remembering words, tenses and such. I was avoiding english as much as possible, even until my first year at university. But later, I realized that english is so important nowadays.

Then, I tried learning english by myself using books and internet. But honestly, learning english using books didn't going well. I also tried socializing with people from different countries in online games I'd played. That's when I met different types of people. Since I was really bad in english, some people made fun of me, while some others corrected my grammar mistake friendly.

In 2013, I met a british english native speaker who is being my online-friend later. I had chatted with him almost everyday and I tried to imitate the way he talked. Sometimes, I also asked him about the phrases' meaning that he used. I've learned many english-related things from our chat. That's how I learn english. So, I honestly don't know if my grammar is being better or not, since I just try to be an english speaker.

@VagueClarity thanks for correcting my mistakes friend :)

Nah, I wasn't criticizing you. You are perfectly fine as you are. What I meant to say was just that I really can't tell if people are serious or joking even when they really sound serious like you.
― Saint Augustine
Nov 14, 2016 1:35 PM

Jul 2015
I would react be saying "Heh, teacher, Leave us kids alone!" Also, there is such a concept as colloquial and idiomatic speech as well. If I was to write a Wikipedia entry , I would try to use good grammar though
Nov 14, 2016 1:37 PM

Dec 2014
I would report them for nazism, sounds fun.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Nov 14, 2016 4:08 PM

Jun 2015
i don't know how that feels, i've never been corrected
Nov 14, 2016 4:14 PM

Nov 2013
crashinho said:
I don't know how that feels, I've never been corrected.

Well, now you know how that feels. xD

AllenVonStein said:
Language existed before grammar enthusiasts , I could give two shits as long as I know what your talking about.

Are you doing it intentionally just to annoy @YatoGod ? lol
ColtBuntlineNov 14, 2016 4:27 PM
― Saint Augustine
Nov 14, 2016 4:22 PM

Apr 2016
I feel like it's some dumb kid that wants to feel smart.
Nov 14, 2016 4:46 PM

Oct 2012
It depends on the errors, i suppose. There is a difference between doing it out of benevolence and doing it to be a dick.
Nov 14, 2016 5:30 PM

Jun 2015
I only point out grammatical mistakes when the one pointing it out is making it themselves. You know, for irony reasons and correction shaming.
Nov 14, 2016 5:33 PM

Jun 2016
I thank them and try not to embarrass myself again in the future.
Nov 14, 2016 5:43 PM

Jul 2015
I only correct my friends' grammar as a joke, and I rarely do it.

I feel like this post is gonna be grammatically incorrect somehow.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 1 hour ago

7 by Crystepsi »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

23 by Adnash »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 7 hours ago

12 by MalchikRepaid »»
11 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

46 by Malkshake »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 10 hours ago

15 by pludel2 »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.