Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 1, 2016 9:03 AM

Aug 2013
Well, I hate action fantasy from the bottom of my heart, but Rezero is totally different than all other series of this genre (and thankfully it's not focusing on action). Personally I love this series (which is totally unusual for me - as I mentioned - I hate action fantasy, and I'm very skeptical towards superpopular series), because of this and because of awesome characters, interesting story etc. But the people who hate it have the same reason for hating it which I have for loving it.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 1, 2016 9:23 AM

Jan 2011
rsc-pl said:
Well, I hate action fantasy from the bottom of my heart, but Rezero is totally different than all other series of this genre (and thankfully it's not focusing on action). Personally I love this series (which is totally unusual for me - as I mentioned - I hate action fantasy, and I'm very skeptical towards superpopular series), because of this and because of awesome characters, interesting story etc. But the people who hate it have the same reason for hating it which I have for loving it.
LOL it's all good man. I hate harem anime but I love Tenchi Muyo.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Dec 18, 2016 11:51 AM

Sep 2015
Calling someone elitist for not liking it is just as shit of an argument as calling someone fanboy for liking it. And there is no sense in bringing up taste though I have never seen anyone who outright loved re:zero and that was the only "flaw" in their taste.

The thing is, sometimes mediocre stuff gets unbelievably popular and then it's natural for them to become controversial. Yes, it's about popularity, but not popularity alone. Everyone likes some popular anime, because a lot of them has well deserved fame. Those have very little argument about if it's indeed deserves the hype or not, but instead what makes it so good. Two-third of what I consider my favorites are in MAL's top100 popular anime, and around 3/4 in the top150, and I dropped re:zero. So in this case it's about that its popularity is not in sync with its quality. Every year, almost every season has that one overly popular and really controversial series.

So if most of the arguments is if it deserves its popularity or not and about waifu wars, that's a sign.
Dec 18, 2016 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
Heldengeist said:
Calling someone elitist for not liking it is just as shit of an argument as calling someone fanboy for liking it. And there is no sense in bringing up taste though I have never seen anyone who outright loved re:zero and that was the only "flaw" in their taste.

The thing is, sometimes mediocre stuff gets unbelievably popular and then it's natural for them to become controversial. Yes, it's about popularity, but not popularity alone. Everyone likes some popular anime, because a lot of them has well deserved fame. Those have very little argument about if it's indeed deserves the hype or not, but instead what makes it so good. Two-third of what I consider my favorites are in MAL's top100 popular anime, and around 3/4 in the top150, and I dropped re:zero. So in this case it's about that its popularity is not in sync with its quality. Every year, almost every season has that one overly popular and really controversial series.

So if most of the arguments is if it deserves its popularity or not and about waifu wars, that's a sign.

Dude, if I wanted to, I could rate Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 1/10 for it being nonsensical to extremes; for it being too false--too lacking in realism--for knowing well the characters wouldn't succeed the way they did, and noone would have what to argue against this. And yet you rate it 10--you ignored its flaws and gave it a 10.

Re:Zero is a better written, longer, better structured story; for this, and for it having too much of what I like, I rate it higher than something like Gurren.

Because it doesn't matters what messages Gurren conveyed, when you know nothing (or close to) of what they did there would've been possible in the first place. It's such a laugh--so infantile. But yes, it was entertaining...cheaply. Those mecha fights, huh.

But anyway, there's this topic, about a video made on this show: Re:Zero: The Otaku's Tale - An Excelllent Analysis and Summation

And yeah dude, you appear too cocky when the taste for what you consider 'better' appears to be so fundamentally flawed in my view. Couldn't you excuse that score in your list by writing something like 'it's my bias!'? Well then.

About topic: Well, just for the show having broken some people's dream, of thinking they'd succeed well as some hero in fantasy world, coming from a different world, being so inept as some slothful teenager (or even if not- but you'd still die), it can already be deserving of (unjust) hate, lol. With Subaru, his purpose was to even be used in some scheme; his Return by Death was given to him to improve his success, pretty much.

There's also writers that might've felt offended by the realism of this story (that theirs might lack)... And people that considered better, stories where a Subaru succeeds well.

Yet the ending still gave a good impression that he did succeed. But we can't forget what he went through, and the help he was given. The ending also might've been unsatisfying for those that wanted more than only what they were shown, as the show should've 'told' them that there were more else to see...

There were technical flaws: The decline in animation in later episodes, and a mistake done in one of the episodes, having a character be in a place they weren't supposed to. This should've been due to this show being exhausting for White Fox to handle alone. Also the show went through time-constraining issues, that it should've handled relatively well, but even so made some people complain... It was about some events not being as believable as could've been, if they were given more time.

drgy55 said:
I mean, there have been completely legitimate complaints made about the show to be fair man. I don't hate the show by any means, but I recognize there's a lot of exposition, a lot of unexplained motivations, one dimensional characters, an [1]overall artistic presentation that is uninspired and doesn't carry any depth, stuff that just feels cliche and thrown in (random monsters and mob characters with no symbolic meaning, silly events that are supposed to give character insight like that thing at the beginning with the apple seller, etc.)... I heard one fan say it was "trope breaking" but you can't break tropes by BEING the trope, it doesn't matter if you're self-aware or not. Try Monogatari or Madoka Magica, THAT'S trope-breaking done smartly.

I don't mind much the rest of what you say, as they're needed/answered/impressions, that can't even be considered flaws anyway. Petelgeuse? He only appeared as so, and in the story had no need to tell more about himself; it'd have been out of character, and could appear unnatural. Subaru has to become closer to other characters, before they reveal more of themselves to him. This is how it normally works. But what's this [1]? I disagree; it'd be a bother to elaborate, though, wouldn't it? The 'random' monsters--the dogs, weren't 'thrown in', but were being commanded by someone that wasn't revealed yet, belonging to some enemy faction (hinted in the show). It's the purple haired girl that was hinted to be the mastermind. Those creatures were well-designed, too, being magical beasts that feed on living beings' vial essence, by cursing them and draining them slowly. Symbolic meaning? The cult members were full of it, weren't they? Besides, whether symbolism makes something better is subjective. Apple seller? That was just a natural event. Tropes? You're talking about subverting? It did much of it.
removed-userDec 18, 2016 6:11 PM
Dec 18, 2016 6:15 PM

Jun 2015
Rehls said:

I don't mind much the rest of what you say, as they're needed/answered/impressions, that can't even be considered flaws anyway. Petelgeuse? He only appeared as so, and in the story had no need to tell more about himself; it'd have been out of character, and could appear unnatural. Subaru has to become closer to other characters, before they reveal more of themselves to him. This is how it normally works. But what's this [1]? I disagree; it'd be a bother to elaborate, though, wouldn't it? The 'random' monsters--the dogs, weren't 'thrown in', but were being commanded by someone that wasn't revealed yet, belonging to some enemy faction (hinted in the show). It's the purple haired girl that was hinted to be the mastermind. Those creatures were well-designed, too, being magical beasts that feed on living beings' vial essence, by cursing them and draining them slowly. Symbolic meaning? The cult members were full of it, weren't they? Besides, whether symbolism makes something better is subjective. Apple seller? That was just a natural event. Tropes? You're talking about subverting? It did much of it.

Unfortunately, if in your mind exposition (Very poor method of storytelling, period), one-dimensional characters, and unexplained motivations (that do not add to some sort of relevant mystery) are not flaws, I'm afraid I have no further desire to converse on this subject with you sir lol. I'm glad you got more enjoyment out of it than I did :)
Dec 18, 2016 6:19 PM
Oct 2016
wait this thread is still going xD
Dec 18, 2016 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
drgy55 said:
Rehls said:

Unfortunately, if in your mind exposition (Very poor method of storytelling, period), one-dimensional characters, and unexplained motivations (that do not add to some sort of relevant mystery) are not flaws, I'm afraid I have no further desire to converse on this subject with you sir lol. I'm glad you got more enjoyment out of it than I did :)

Dude, how about you try elaborating? That too hard? Give examples of 'expositions' you saw in it. ( o_o) Characters being one-dimensional is an impression you have of them; it doesn't mean they are, and I doubt you can prove, and much less say it's without good justification. 'Unexplained motivations that do not add some sort of mystery'? It's certainly a mystery how Petelgeuse became who he is now; what he said in his lasts moments should've made people wonder. It could've been as I tried to figure out, or not. :) Oh my.
Dec 19, 2016 1:41 AM

Sep 2015
Rehls said:
Dude, if I wanted to, I could rate Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 1/10 for it being nonsensical to extremes; for it being too false--too lacking in realism--for knowing well the characters wouldn't succeed the way they did, and noone would have what to argue against this. And yet you rate it 10--you ignored its flaws and gave it a 10.

Re:Zero is a better written, longer, better structured story; for this, and for it having too much of what I like, I rate it higher than something like Gurren.

TTGL was chosen to be "nonsensical to extremes" to convey its message and it's doing it just fine and builds up its characters to make sense in context of the series. Re:Zero, from what I've seen, is a patchwork of genre clichés with so little originality that it's painful. Saying it's better than TTGL in any way is a personal insult to the writers and directors who put effort into their work.
Dec 19, 2016 2:01 AM

Mar 2016
Swagernator said:
Because Felix is best girl..... oh wait...
Felix is a guy Lol XD..I'm not a fan of Re:Zero myself nor a hater of this anime but let the haters hate this show..it's their own opinion and preference.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Dec 19, 2016 2:11 AM
Dec 2016
You see, It doesn't matter what they think about it, If you liked it you liked it. I know you did nothing wrong of course. To be totally honest with you I kinda didn't like the ending of Re:Zero, but hey just my opinion. Not sure if this is relevant, but I absolutely hate people(Not just Re:zero haters) that say, "Oh bro, this anime is shiet don't watch it, If you watch it your a retard, If you watch it your not a real anime fan".
I absolutely have no tolerance for them.
I hope you understand what i'm trying to say.
Sorry if i went off the course a little bit ;)
Dec 19, 2016 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
Heldengeist said:
Rehls said:

TTGL was chosen to be "nonsensical to extremes" to convey its message and it's doing it just fine and builds up its characters to make sense in context of the series. Re:Zero, from what I've seen, is a patchwork of genre clichés with so little originality that it's painful. Saying it's better than TTGL in any way is a personal insult to the writers and directors who put effort into their work.

This show is supposed to be using these 'genre clichés' (tropes, mostly); but if you've not noticed, it had been subverting them. Some people agreed that it did well in deconstructing this protagonist, that in other shows would've succeeded well, in this setting.

Some interesting stuff: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SubvertedTrope
removed-userDec 19, 2016 10:28 AM
Dec 19, 2016 10:21 AM
Jul 2012
I feel like I'm the only one who likes Subaru and find him to be a realistic character lol. I can understand his actions and why he became, uh, somewhat insane and extremely desperate at some point. I believe a lot of haters fail to understand that.

We are all different after all. I am genuinely curious about how the haters of Subaru would act if they were put into the exact same position as him though.
When people tell me to stream anime on CR instead of downloading from fansub sites.

Dec 19, 2016 11:24 AM

Sep 2015
Rehls said:
This show is supposed to be using these 'genre clichés' (tropes, mostly); but if you've not noticed, it had been subverting them. Some people agreed that it did well in deconstructing this protagonist, that in other shows would've succeeded well, in this setting.

Some interesting stuff: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SubvertedTrope

Yes, I'm already familiar with those arguments. Deconstructing a formula is neither good, nor bad. School Days is methodically a successful deconstruction of the harem genre and one of the most hated anime of all time while Hunter x Hunter as a deconstruction of the shounen genre the 6th highest rated anime on MAL.

And as subverting, it should have done it better, because after 8 episodes, one third of the total length of the anime, it still didn't go anywhere. Baiting works only if it's shows that it'll change tracks soon. That's for example something HxH (or KonoSuba one season earlier to Re:Zero) for example also did right. If there wasn't so much hype around Re:Zero I probably would have dropped it even earlier.

But I must record that I won't go in an in depth argument about the entire series, obviously I can't form an opinion about the parts I haven't seen.
Dec 19, 2016 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
@Heldengeist

School Days was too dark and edgy in the end, and before it had been so very unbelievable as to how such an average person that the protagonist appeared to be, he was still made to successfully sleep with every girl in the school... There was more, but yeah... Oh, yeah, their parents...that were never present, lol. It was all made so convenient, for apparent reasons. Hard for me to believe something like this was well-written, eh. Anyway.

About HxH I'd only have the freedom Nen is given, to (bother to) criticize... Overall it was a 10/10 for me.

Well it already didn't go the usual way, having Subaru being saved in the first episode. There was also Felt that appeared, but didn't give him a hand... It's all these little events that I'm counting. Another 'little event' was Puck, the pet, only trusting Subaru, for being being a spirit, and being capable of sensing evil intentions in a person, recognizing that Subaru possess none. While in other fantasy shows, the protagonist would be instantly accepted by some cute pet, right? There's many, many more of these, eh. This show is really serious, too, if you notice. This is also something that made me love it. I had the same feeling with HxH. ... This show earned its own hype (while airing), by the way (noticed some people caring about this). Many were actually put off by the cover, thinking it was just another harem (although with this it could've attracted more than repelled- possibly a marketing strategy).
removed-userDec 19, 2016 4:43 PM
Dec 19, 2016 4:47 PM

Apr 2011
Bashing overhyped shows is always fun, no exceptions.
Dec 19, 2016 7:41 PM

Aug 2015
We still doing this 3 months after the show finished airing?? >.>

Half of them are butthurt cause "Rem didn't win"

The remaining half of them are butthurt cause "White fox didn't go Hitler on Rem" aka they didn't show that epilogue...

And then there's me in the non existing part who's butthurt cause the comedy died down after Arc 2 and the show turned into edgy shit in ep 13-16...
Dec 20, 2016 5:30 AM

Sep 2015
@Rehls

I think the MC being saved or not get accepted immediately is just as common as the opposite. And that the series mostly takes itself seriously in contrast that it ignores really important parts from the beginning is not really a merit. For example, Subaru just goes into a fantasy world and he didn't give a damn about it. We don't know why and how he got there. And I mean why and how and why him, where does his checkpoint power comes from? He's just "Look, a fantasy world! Let's dick around!" He just accepts everything, like it was completely normal. Even after his first death. Sure, he knows a lot of "geek goes to another world" stories and assumes he is the hero. And yes, he gets bitchslapped by the plot, but that's all. It's just as lazy as this scene was in Musaigen no Phantom World. Just "look at me! I'm self aware!", and then it doesn't do anything with this self awareness. Self awareness alone is not enough to break conventions.
Dec 20, 2016 6:00 AM

May 2015
Kirito_Alsufi said:

I can't see how Subaru come to this world ?
I can't see who is Emilia he love ?
I don't know how he get this power (return from death)?
Who is Satella that she is inside Subaru?

The only discussion I know from many forums

Rem is the best girl
Who is Subaru is going to end up with?
TeamRem vs TeamEmilia?
Subaru is shit?
Why Subaru loves Emilia?

You're not reading the light novel. There's more to it than the anime.
Dec 20, 2016 6:03 AM
Mar 2016
lieznerf said:
Kirito_Alsufi said:

I can't see how Subaru come to this world ?
I can't see who is Emilia he love ?
I don't know how he get this power (return from death)?
Who is Satella that she is inside Subaru?

The only discussion I know from many forums

Rem is the best girl
Who is Subaru is going to end up with?
TeamRem vs TeamEmilia?
Subaru is shit?
Why Subaru loves Emilia?

You're not reading the light novel. There's more to it than the anime.

25 episodes cover 3 arcs with nothing but waifu wars ?!
Dec 20, 2016 6:13 AM

Dec 2014
well the show was memorable nonetheless
Dec 20, 2016 6:14 AM

May 2015
Kirito_Alsufi said:

25 episodes cover 3 arcs with nothing but waifu wars ?!

Bleach has 366 episodes with only 3 arcs (Soul Society arc, Arrancar arc and Fullbring arc). And it's not even finish.

You've watched all those 25 episodes and you only see 'waifu wars'? Really?
Dec 20, 2016 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
Heldengeist said:
@Rehls

I think the MC being saved or not get accepted immediately is just as common as the opposite. And that the series mostly takes itself seriously in contrast that it ignores really important parts from the beginning is not really a merit. For example, Subaru just goes into a fantasy world and he didn't give a damn about it. We don't know why and how he got there. And I mean why and how and why him, where does his checkpoint power comes from? He's just "Look, a fantasy world! Let's dick around!" He just accepts everything, like it was completely normal. Even after his first death. Sure, he knows a lot of "geek goes to another world" stories and assumes he is the hero. And yes, he gets bitchslapped by the plot, but that's all. It's just as lazy as this scene was in Musaigen no Phantom World. Just "look at me! I'm self aware!", and then it doesn't do anything with this self awareness. Self awareness alone is not enough to break conventions.

It's being unveiled throughout the story. This show uses much mystery. The part the time is frozen where he Subaru tries to tell Emilia about what's happening, tells us that there's a someone that doesn't wants him to... It was probably the one responsible for bringing him there. In later episodes it's made more clear (although not much) why. The mastermind wants to use Subaru for a purpose... You heard about what the character Beatrice said about the Witch, right? Yeah... I'll put it here why I think the protagonist is being used, based on what's been hinted in the show, plus more:

Well, in later episodes he's well-rejected by some characters in the story, when he tries to pass himself for something he isn't, but was thinking was worthy of being, for all the sacrifices he did previously. The problem was that he couldn't reveal his power, Return by Death, to anyone... There is some stuff that'll happen that's quite beautiful to see, heh. But the show wants him to actually become a hero [at much sacrifice], and this 'journey' is serving to improve himself as a person (ah, I just wish this show had more episodes). ... At this point you might've noticed that he was being optimistic, and putting up a façade to hide his fears and frustrations... not only for his sake, but the others'. The time he jumped from the cliff, he did so because he thought he'd live an easier life where he'd not be hunted down, if he restarted. While some people misunderstood it as some kind of turning point, where he'd then struggle without crying, not giving up.
Dec 20, 2016 9:50 AM

Sep 2015
@Rehls

Than that's what you wrote in the first paragraph and the spoiler how they should have build up the start. Not to tell everything, but to play out in a way that raises interest. Or at least make a clear and reasonable motivation for Subaru for what he does and doesn't do. Subversion and mystery is good, but only if those are leading somewhere. And that's not what they did. The baiting was endless without payoff. The point where I should already have been deeply invested in the characters and the story, I lost all interest. And as I feel from your words, they didn't really got to anywhere relevant for big picture with the story by the end of the season. You work with a lot of guesses and outside sources. So maybe they just messed up the adaptation and the story in its original works. It doesn't help on the adaptation.
Dec 20, 2016 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
@Heldengeist

Well that appears pretty fair to me (relatively), what you said. It's known that adapting from VN is a challenge, hm. I'm just reading what's said in a MAL's topic about it, and they talk about long VNs are, besides many other things, that makes it hard to adapt them well. From what I saw, there were time-constraints involved in the adaptation. A big example a important speech had by some characters in episode 12, that was made shorter. While in the manga much more was said. But it was overall good, as popularity tells. And you might've noticed them removing OPs and EDs for the sake of more content... I heard that someone said that it could've had double the episodes... and I can imagine it, hm.

'Outside sources' were for some users that were impatient and wanted to know more, of what happens later on. I didn't read the source, so I just passed around what those that did, said. The else was answered in the show, but wasn't made clear enough for most, as expected.

Well I won't tell you to pick it back up and finish, I guess. I just think that if you found it worth watching up to episode 8, the later episodes should be even more. Because things will happen. Many more things than what you've seen up until then, for sure. It 'starts turning' in episode 12 and beyond. Anyway.
Dec 20, 2016 1:11 PM

Sep 2015
Rehls said:
@Heldengeist
But it was overall good, as popularity tells.

Popularity tells nothing. Akame ga Kill, Gate, Mahouka and Sword Art Online are also popular and you dropped all 4 of them. I don't know your drop policy and don't understand their high ratings despite they are dropped, but I guess you dropped them because you think they are bad regardless of their popularity.

Rehls said:

Well I won't tell you to pick it back up and finish, I guess. I just think that if you found it worth watching up to episode 8, the later episodes should be even more. Because things will happen. Many more things than what you've seen up until then, for sure. It 'starts turning' in episode 12 and beyond. Anyway.

Probably, but that also doesn't guarantee that I will start to like it and it's bad enough for me if an anime 'starts running' when you are or should be half way through it. Maybe the key factor that I was turned off so soon that I have seen a 20-ish of those "protagonist gets sucked into fantasy world" anime from all over the scale and I got really picky about the next one with the setting/premise. I've seen some youtube videos discussing the parts I haven't seen. Some are praising it, some are bashing, but I still think I would gain anything by finishing it.
Dec 20, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
@Heldengeist

Well I knew you'd pick on that. But popularity should tell things, yeah; like, for example: if I heard about an anime that's popular, I'd think that a major reason it became so was because it delivered much of what was wanted by many people. I'd then probably want to check it out. We know that not every popular anime is what we'd consider bad.
Dec 20, 2016 3:47 PM

Aug 2016
The unwritten MAL rule
If it isn't your taste, then they have shit taste.

I like Mirai Nikki and everybody and their mothers shits on that show. Haters gonna hate and that's how any popular show goes.

Another example is Madoka. Lots of people say it's edgy and pretentious as hell

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Dec 20, 2016 8:05 PM

Jun 2015
JokerRabbitt said:
(Sorry if there anything wrong with my english, it´s not my native language and i am not very good.)

I know people have the right to like or dislike a show, but Re:zero haters are disgusting, if you try to defend the anime they say that you are a butthurt fanboy or someshit, every single fan of the show to them is a fanboy or have "bad taste" in anime, they compare Re:Zero fan with SAO fanboys (wich 50% who says that doesn´t know what it´s to have a "discussion" with a SAO fanboy), they say is a fact that the anime is shit, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

Typical of mal, but re:zero and SAO Were actually bad in a critic's point of view.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Dec 20, 2016 8:09 PM

Aug 2015
I really do not have problems with anyone, but some, they are annoying.

Dec 20, 2016 9:06 PM
Jul 2015
The best part of Re:zero for me was Subaru himself and how he reacts to his situations. He doesnt make the most correct choice ever the first time around, and he suffers for it. He also doesnt just walk away unfazed by getting shitted on either.

Most of the hate I have seen for the show revolves around those aspects, people straight up expect Subaru to walk in and stomp everything out of existence just because hes the MC. That isnt how it should work.
Dec 21, 2016 1:55 AM

Sep 2015
@Rehls

No, of course not all popular anime are bad. As I said, the majority of my favorites are popular. But I'd say around half of the popular anime are average at best. That still means that popularity is not a good indicator of quality. And as I also said in my first comment here, sometimes subpar products get insane popularity, because reasons. Whether good marketing, an opinion leader praises it, or it's just the right place at the right time.

I sometimes come through a lot of praises about Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry and it has a high rating. My guess would be because Digibro made a video about it in contrast of Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and told, Cavalry is not completely without merits but still just an average show, and what got to people, that it's good and the revolution of the high-school battle-ecchi genre. And for example Arcada (Glass Reflection) made two praising videos about Re:Zero. Maybe that's not the core of its popularity, but might have given a boost. And Digi an hour long drunk rant where he shits on it, but that's too little too late to counter a channel twice as big.
Dec 21, 2016 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
@Heldengeist

I don't think videos had anything to do with it. They were made late on it, most when it ended. The show earned its score and popularity on its own. The source, LN, was unavailable for most (for being korean), unlike those shows that are adapted from manga. The manga for this one started after the anime aimed aired. It had hundreds of people posting in every episode before any of those videos were made on it. In one episode that people felt very impressed by (15), it seems like the rating increased by almost 0.10, even (I think it reached over 8.80), but before it, episode 7 was the most praised (and reached over 700 posts in a few days, if I remember correctly). People said this show was the 'dark horse' of the season.

There was also much hate towards the protagonist for being who he is. Also towards 'loli' characters, and the archetype characters. There was such a pitiful review MAL, but that became one of the most thumbed up, for others that were praising it being removed for having been made during its airing time... Somehow, the negative review was thought to be an exception, but then was removed. Also, the current top negative review is...bad. You probably don't think well of them anyway, right? In the first paragraph where this one starts, it's already a huge misconception. It makes me want to facepalm, but I know I shouldn't care about it, hah. Well, not saying the positive ones are better... Anyway.
Dec 21, 2016 6:17 AM
Apr 2014
Well I never watched this show so I don't hate it and have never commented about it, but when the biggest discussion going on about a show is "who is best girl", I keep my distance.
Dec 21, 2016 8:50 AM

Apr 2016
Honestly, both sides are incessantly toxic. Say anything bad about Re:Zero on one of these threads, chances are, you'll get mauled (I did for about an hour on the episode 25 thread), but if you love it on certain threads and certain people, you'll probably get grilled almost as hard. No wonder people compare this to the SAO fan base. It is hell. It it tiresome. It is...dumb, like both shows, but hey, at least this show is better than SAO.

I don't get all the hate Subaru gets when aside from Rem and maybe Crusch, he is easily the best character in this show by virtue of actually doing something and having a personality that isn't generic as all get out.
CodeBlazeFateDec 21, 2016 8:53 AM
Dec 23, 2016 11:46 AM

May 2015
A bit bland? Maybe. Enjoyable? Yes!

Heldengeist said:
@Rehls

It seems to just be an excuse to get a character that's a fish out of water, weak and dumb (just to be a subversion of most light novels), but nothing more. I don't know, it's so glossed over that I see little reason to really care much for it. Like 99% anime ever.

The scene where he convinces Crusch and co. of the white whale's upcoming apperance by observation comes to mind at least of inventive utilization, though he spends half the series failing miserably. And how he got his abillities clearly seem like something that *won't* be glossed on, or hasn't entirely? Well, if it was more than a atypical 25 episode series.
ashfrliebertDec 23, 2016 12:00 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Dec 23, 2016 1:49 PM

Sep 2015
@Rehls

That will be the interesting part. Its popularity. Since my first comment here until yesterday, its rating dropped by 0.02. And since it ended it dropped out from the 25th place to the 59th. That's a huge drop in 3 months. To rise the ratings while it's airing is not uncommon, but it's a steady drop since then. Even more than Erased which caused a general disappointment around the end. I'm really curious about where will it be stabilized.

@ashfrliebert

That was my point. It's neither entertaining, nor atypical enough. Maybe some parts later are, or at least less common, I don't know, but what I've seen didn't impress me at all.
Dec 23, 2016 2:42 PM

May 2015
Heldengeist said:

@ashfrliebert

That was my point. It's neither entertaining, nor atypical enough. Maybe some parts later are, or at least less common, I don't know, but what I've seen didn't impress me at all.

You didn't finish it? e_e

Don't think you got my point, the "transport into another world" only serves to throw a complete idiot into a world of magical people and watch him grow into..a less complete idiot (tho still an obxnious idiot anyway) courtesy of dying alot. The transport into another world is so meaningless in the series (because it's been noted that he didn't really do *anything* of note in his world at all), that I don't see the reason for complaint.

Their both thrillers and both have time travel, but it's really nothing like Erased, that aside (and Erased is far better admittedly, the manga at least).

Erased is "Intelligent, precognitive character sets right what once went wrong (and figures out what went wrong in the first place)", Re:Zero is more "Dumbass, precognitive character figurs out how to stop what he (And the audience) knows wrong (and goes crazy doing so)". Re:Zero is fantasy skin, aside from the unexplained world warp, Boku daka is Mystery dectective.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Dec 23, 2016 2:48 PM

Aug 2014
Idk but before that, I wanna ask what about the fanboys? Those guys trash talks and insults anyone who even dares say a bad thing about the show. I remember some guy rating the show lowly and wrote a review about it, over half of his comments afterwards were people bashing him for doing that, but ofc none makes a thread for that.

Also the show is popular and hyped up as the second coming of christ, that's enough for it to gather a "hate" base as with all other popular shows.
Dec 24, 2016 1:42 PM

Sep 2015
@ashfrliebert

Since that's the setting of the series, I wouldn't say it's meaningless, and I can't root for an obnoxious idiot and aside from him, the series is full of character archetypes I hate, but not a single one that is sympathetic or at least I would love to hate to give me some passion to continue watching. So of course I didn't finish it. Why would I? Why should I torture myself and waste my time while I could watch something better?
Dec 26, 2016 12:31 AM
May 2016
I see a lot of 'What is wrong with haters of this show' and 'Why would you love this show'

Well, people can watch an anime Arc in different Ways (Spoiler Alert):

Arc 1:
Person one: Subaru wants to save Emilia, so sweet ^^
Person two: Why would you save someone you barely know?!
Person three: How Will he survive?! Does he have Some trick on his sleeve?
Person four: SAO is stupid and this looks like it so I hate it.
Person five: again such a overrated anime why do people like it

Those are just a few ways, but I'll Tell you which Person focuses on what:

P1: Romance
P2: Romance/Everything the MC does
P3: The Actual Plot/Thinks forward about what Will happen
P4: comparison with other Anime
P5: too influenced by other people

Different ways you can see the MC (same people as above):

P1: Romantic
P2: pathetic
P3: He is a bit whiny, but If I saw someone killed, would I be able to laugh it of like a typical OP shounenprotagonist (eg: Ichigo, Bleach)?
P4: AGAIN such a stupid whiny MC like Yukiteru Amano
P5: they said on the forum that he is stupid, and they were right!!

Depending on the way you watch it you'll see the anime in a different light. P1 + P3 Will probably see it in a good way an P2 + P4 in a bad way. P5 depends on what other people say.

I think its the best to focus on the plot, and less on Romance, since that Will kind of take away the fun of the anime

And dont look too much at ratings/forums beforehand. Ratings Will Maybe rise your expectations to high and forums Will spoil the fun

Edit: Please dont Go and argue about what girl is better etc. Because anime *Is not Reality*
YaskDec 26, 2016 12:39 AM
Dec 27, 2016 4:40 PM

Aug 2012
Mostly Haters is just an Attention Seekers

The series is great though I got bored in the last few episode.

Maybe some of them are "M" because they keep watching it even though they hate it, so they can say only bad things on the series.
Dec 28, 2016 12:10 AM

Jul 2015
Actualy people just triggered by forum thread and some post from anime haters ....and inserted the wrong opinion about re zero to they head.... When i watch anime between 2005-2016. I never see anime like re zero.....the story is really good actualy the best i have been watched this year .....
Community opinion does'nt affected to me ,,,i just believe what i see with my own eyes!
Dec 28, 2016 12:10 AM

Jul 2015
Actualy people just triggered by forum thread and some post from anime haters ....and inserted the wrong opinion about re zero to they head.... When i watch anime between 2005-2016. I never see anime like re zero.....the story is really good actualy the best i have been watched this year .....
Community opinion does'nt affected to me ,,,i just believe what i see with my own eyes!
Dec 29, 2016 1:27 PM
Aug 2013
What's wrong with the fans?
Jan 6, 2017 5:57 AM

Oct 2010
I wouldn't take people not liking Re:Zero to heart. Me personally, I thought the show was ok. It had its faults and its strengths, but seeing it from that perspective I can understand why people thought so highly of it and I can understand from the others thought so lowly of it.

There are a few reasons I didn't like the show as much as some people love the show, and the main reason being the MC. When he was not annoying the show was great, but when was annoying the show was hard to watch. Most other people had problem with the MC which stop from enjoying the show as much as they wanted, I do think there are those people who are just going to not like the show just because it is popular or they just want to have unpopular opinion of the general consensus of the show, which stupid to me too.

If somebody has a problem a show then I think it's rude to go on a forum where the show is celebrated and talk bad about it because that ruin the forum's conversation. I did that before and in hindsight that was a**hole move. I think for people who don't like Re:Zero going to forum where the show is celebrated should a place of getting to understanding on why people like it. Only vent when the forum ask why people don't like it or when in context of the forum conversation.

In the same token, people not going to like your favorite show regardless of how relatable you think the characters are, how good you think the story is, how good you think the character development is, or how good you think art and animation are because are going to have they own opinions on shows.

Be Happy, Re:Zero is a popular with a lot more loving it than hating it. There are show that I think are really good, but people most don't enjoy like School Days. More times then not, I agree with a lot popular view of most mainstream shows. At the same time, there are plenty of shows or movies that is popular that I don't like for example Evangelion, Gintama, Welcome to NHK, Star Wars, the Godfather, and more, but that doesn't mean I have bad taste it just mean that my opinion differ from the view of the majority of the populace.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 7:31 AM
May 2016
u dont compare re zero to sword fail fuckline

those people are just triggered that the show is popular thats all

tho i gotta say the fanboys of the show are no better
Jan 6, 2017 7:40 AM

Apr 2015
What Is wrong with the haters? What Is wrong with the fanboys? The eternal questions.

Jan 6, 2017 7:41 AM
Dec 2016
re zero's haters are nothing compare to Terra Formars's haters
Jan 6, 2017 8:50 AM

Dec 2015
Mmm dem salt sure taste good
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

32 by KuyaC »»
4 hours ago

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.