Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 12, 2016 6:33 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah Hinata and her imaginations..always so cheerful. Everyone's got some place they always wanted to go. A place like Disneyland or something would suit her perfectly.

I think the show's pacing still remains pretty smooth without leaving much details.

The way this show expresses narrative through imagery is still well done imo. The Kyoko flashbacks are still haunting Rei (pretty sure we'll be getting more of that anyway). That swimming scene imo is also powerful and expressive.
Nov 12, 2016 6:45 AM

Apr 2014
This seems to be broken into 3 sections, first half of first part was very vibrant. Second part was isolation. Third was a great interaction with Sensei.

Ill speak on it more with subs but visually another strong episode. I love how shaft is filling their headtilt quota with SzS style headtilts. It really makes the show more dynamic. A ton of great shaft cues. I cant wait to see who credited it.

Man Rei gets hit with PTSD so often its sad. This is what it really means to be triggered.
Nov 12, 2016 11:10 AM

Dec 2014
Very strong episode as always. I've said it before but the way the show seamlessly integrates these heartwarming moments along with Rei's trauma is seriously amazing.

Opening segment was quite fun, Though there was a small bit of gloom in there when Rei says that he wants to go somewhere but didn't know where he wanted to go.

The middle half of the show had quite the melancholic tone to it, It's sad how Kyouko's words have stuck with Rei through all these year to the point that he's accepted it as natural.
It's both funny and sad how the teacher directly confronts Rei about his isolation and loneliness. All the shots with Rei alone in his dark room really brought out the theme of loneliness. As much of a genius Rei is, Deep down all he wants is a place that can rid him of his loneliness.

The swimming imagery was a powerful depiction of how hard Rei tried to find a place he could belong too, Though once he reached the place he thought he desired, there was nothing more left for him. I suppose it was kind of expected that he would begin losing since he lost his motivation.

Very sweet moment at the end, Couldn't help but grin when Hina invited Rei over for dinner. It's right there Rei, The place you belong to is right there.
Hina blushing after the credits was so adorable.
Lelouch0202Nov 12, 2016 11:14 AM
Nov 12, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2015
3-gatsu episode 6 production:

Shinbou: Please let me direct this episode alone.

Shaft: No, we said we're doing this differently. No headtilts, no metaphoric scenes, no quick camera cuts.

Shinbou: C'mon, just one head tilt. Just one, I promise that's all.

Shaft: Okay, fine. We're trusting you with this.

*Shaft walks away*

Shinbou: SUCKERS!!!
Nov 12, 2016 12:29 PM

Jan 2014
It's really hard to pull of lighthearted comedy moments and touching dramatic moments in the same episode and 3gatsu nailed it in all episodes so far...

Hina worrying for Rei and then blushing for her crush were kawaii af,HanaKana awawawa - ing also helped a lot...

And i so wanna pinch her cheeks :D
Nov 12, 2016 12:34 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
A character focus anime always gets better and better by the episodes. Love how little by little, we get into the mind of Rei and what drives him. The imagery in this episode went HARD to show what he went through.
Nov 12, 2016 12:39 PM

May 2014
That endscene was so awkwardly adorable lmao! As much as I am interested in Rei's past and his character development, I do hope we get to see more casual interactions between Rei and the other characters from now on.

Although it probably won't happen, I think Rei x Hina is super cute lol.
Nov 12, 2016 1:07 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A bad day, a bad week, a bad month, all have this moments, the great is find the way!!!
Nov 12, 2016 1:14 PM

Mar 2016
Rei is such a relatable character, he has so many lines that just hit home. I didn't think I'd be enjoying this series as much as I am, glad I picked it up. Hina wanting a milkshake was cute, and Rei treating her was cuter. As always I really look forward to learning more about Rei. I hope he learns to enjoy Shoji.
Nov 12, 2016 1:23 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting episode. Mainly concentrating on Rei's faltering with his Shogi. I'm now interested in learning more about the master Shogi player, Souya. His character is intriguing, despite how little we have seen of him.

The scene with Hina at the end was priceless. Her look of mortification at seeing her crush was a riot. At first I thought she might have brain freeze from the cold shake.
Nov 12, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
I wonder if the Baseball guy is gonna ask him about his relationship with Hina. Maybe the baseball guy has a crush on her?
Nov 12, 2016 1:46 PM

Sep 2011
I enjoyed the after credits scene more than the rest of the episode. It felt pretty slow this week.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 12, 2016 1:55 PM

Jun 2014
Every episode of this show always feels like it's only 5 minutes long.

I really liked the scene where Hina panicked after her crush showed up. So funny and adorable.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 12, 2016 2:06 PM

Jan 2012
Kiriyama in a slump episode. Thankfully Hina brought a bit of light to the gloom. How will her crush visiting her home go?
Nov 12, 2016 2:22 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

More flashbacks about Rei & playing Shogi. The pressure.

Hina so adorable & excited over a drink. So sweet of her to invite Rei over for dinner. Always looking out for him.

Hina's crush suddenly appears & she is so flustered. Nice of Rei to stay behind.
Woah he is tall though.

Interesting End Card.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 12, 2016 2:50 PM

Nov 2016
The imagery really is different from what we usually see. I'm not sure I find it beautiful, but it sure conveys the feelings in an efficient way.

That teacher is so funny (I already thought this when he was introduced) and I like how he cares about Rei in his own way.

So we got to see the person Rei looks up to. He looks cool. (When he got out of the car I thought "It's Kishou Arima!") I hope Rei advances quickly so we can see a match between the two of them! (I know, this isn't a sports anime, but still... xD)

Oh... Is Hina going to bring her crush home? Good for her! I'm curious to see how it turns out. Go, Hina!
Nov 12, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2013
We're getting flashback after flashback after flashback so far. There aren't many scenes in the present time anymore.

Rei has lost two times in a row and now can't go to the next level. He'll have to try again next year. He swam... and swam... and swam... and swam. We get it. He was swimming. That kinda felt annoying and somewhat funny even though it wasn't supposed to be either. What I got from that was that he's reached a good enough point and doesn't want to go ahead or can't go ahead. He has to now find some more determination to become better. And that child of god is someone who looks similar to him, looking so cold and distant from everyone.

Rei is a prodigy since he's the fifth kid to go pro while in middle school. The other four went on to stand on the top so people expect him to do the same. But he probably doesn't want to or doesn't care about that stuff.

That sensei was pretty fun lol. He wasn't subtle at all in telling Rei that he's a loner. And Rei is probably only attending high school as a formality since he has a job and is earning enough. He doesn't really need to go to school anymore. He doesn't have friends there so there's even less reason to go.

Lol when Hina meets her crush at the restaurant while she's with Rei. That was too much for her to handle lol. And looks like this big middle school baseball player will be joining the Kawamotos for dinner. At least the next episode preview implies that.
Nov 12, 2016 4:11 PM

May 2015
Not as good as the previous episodes. It felt kinda slower than usual, but that's just me. Still liked the episode, though. That ending was adorable, lol.

Nov 12, 2016 4:15 PM

May 2015
Scene after credits was hilarious. :DDD

Rest i pretty dark if you ask me.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 12, 2016 4:43 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
dat fucking end card tho

what the hell man
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 12, 2016 5:07 PM

Jul 2014
I'm pretty sure I've read similar monologues in Livejournal.

DatRandomDude said:
dat fucking end card tho

what the hell man

T H I C C
H
I
C
C
Nov 12, 2016 6:15 PM
Dec 2014
A little slow but still a wonderful episode. I really am impressed by how well this series manages to mesh and transition between the darker sadder scenes and the light hearted ones.
Nov 12, 2016 6:39 PM

Aug 2015
That moment when someone walks into the same room when the TV is showing this episodes endcard...
Nov 12, 2016 6:39 PM

Jun 2015
Hina freaking out that her crush was in front of her was the cutest thing in this episode xD I thought she had a brain freeze, but that wasn't the case. The imagery was very well done in this episode. I can relate to Rei when he said all he can do is sleep because there is nothing to do. The interaction between him and the teacher was great as well.
Nov 12, 2016 7:53 PM

Mar 2014
this ep is smooth but the end card is worth. i love oneechan's thickness
Nov 12, 2016 8:24 PM

Sep 2014
ending card looks weird af lol
Nov 12, 2016 8:26 PM

Oct 2011
I don't know how to explain but, each episode I got a strange feeling... It looks like everything around me blows away and I can't take off my eyes of screen. I'm in totally in love with this anime.

I really enjoy Rei's interactions with his teacher. That guy is an amazing person and teacher, and is really worried about him. Makes me glad that Rei have people like him (and the sisters, too) around.

Rei tried to let Hina alone with the baseball guy, but in the end, he didn't do that... hahaha! Her face was so red! It was so cute.
Nov 12, 2016 8:56 PM

Apr 2014
For people who cant see the flashbacks as a tool to show that he has PTSD or depression you should read up on mental illnesses more. Those flashback on flashbacks were important for developing Rei and understand who he is in the current time.
Nov 12, 2016 10:26 PM
May 2016
Really a great episode. Those visuals to show Rei's interpersonal struggles was top notched. I felt the deepness on it.

Too bad Rei's already depressed and the shogi players putting much expectation for him, I'm really glad there's Kawamoto family for him. And there's also his amazing teacher.

btw that master Shouya resembles Arima Kishou of Tokyo Ghoul a lot xD
Nov 13, 2016 12:10 AM

Jan 2008
Great episode. It was easy to relate to Rei because of his isolation and struggles. The ending was hilarious xD
Nov 13, 2016 1:39 AM

Jan 2013
First time it's mentioned he lost at shogi. Good episode as usual, liking how each episode hits on a different aspect of his life.
Nov 13, 2016 3:16 AM

Oct 2016
another calm episode we have here and we got to know more about rei's past and somewhat that white-haired guy reminds of arima(Tokyo Ghoul) :v and hina is so cute when she saw her crush, the way hina acts is very funny , and she's pretty concerned about rei, well, all of them are concerned about rei specailly the 3 sisters..
Nov 13, 2016 3:41 AM

Feb 2012
this show is great. definitely AOTS
Nov 13, 2016 3:44 AM

Aug 2016
So happy this is longer than 12 episodes :D
Nanika ga Okashii
Nov 13, 2016 3:49 AM

Jul 2014
I had no idea that Rei had lost at Shogi before, but including it in a period where he has clearly entered a mental slump is a good way to bring it in and to tie all these ideas together.
Nov 13, 2016 6:57 AM

Apr 2011
I'm honestly in love with this anime (and Rei-Chan. Protect him.)
I've been reading the manga and it follows it pretty closely. It makes my day reading and watching this.
Nov 13, 2016 8:10 AM

Dec 2014
I like those family moments between the show,,, It's still hard to understand rei.... that last scene was flawless
Nov 13, 2016 8:31 AM

May 2016
Phlippy said:
It always says 'Chapter XY'. Is it the manga chapter which is adapted during this section, or are they just dividing the anime in little parts?

Those are the corresponding chapter titles in the manga.
Nov 13, 2016 9:22 AM

May 2015
Another very nice episode. It was great seeing Rei and that high school teacher interact, I could definitely tell he was worried about Rei. The flashbacks were wonderful as well. It must be really hard on Rei, having all that pressure. The after credits scene was hilarious. Hina's so cute!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Nov 13, 2016 10:24 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing episode. Have to admit, the show's got some real good dialogues. And the narrative approach of the monologues is beautiful.
Nov 13, 2016 10:55 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Great episode and a relaxing one as always
Hina and her imaginations are always a joy to behold lol

Lol its nice that Hinata is able to imagine the food from various places
thats shes been to and wants to do again if just for the food

Akari's wish though was actually quite simple but relaxing lol

wow the rules for Shogi is pretty strict
even school comes second to Shogi

Lol he didn't really want to go to study camp eh
shouldn't have showed it on your face though lol

In a way Shogi is like a professional sports player
man that teacher is way too straightforward
So Kyouko's words still haunt him eh
Its interesting in that Rei wanted to succeed at Shogi
because he wanted a place to cling on to and support him with
and thats why after he become successful he moved out to his current place

Its nice how this episode shows Rei's first year after he moved out
and also shows how he met some of his friends in Shogi

Lol Rei solved that puzzle within seconds that took the teacher weeks to
create
Even geniuses can be stumped though
Lol you would stand out even more if you ate your lunch with a teacher

Hina is always so positive
its a welcome change for Rei as well too
Hina's expression when Rei offered to buy her a drink lol
she's cute

Lol Hina's expression when she's inviting Rei to dinner
and Rei's expression lol
Too bad about the age difference though
as i think they would make a great pair

lol Hina's reaction on seeing her crush was just lol
and when Rei actually left
Hina's reaction was probably going to be
Rei you traitor lol
or maybe Rei no wait

wow the height difference between Rei and Hina's crush was just
a marked difference
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2016 2:15 PM

Feb 2014
Quite a big focus on Rei this time around. It's understandable that being called a prodigy by other shogi players, going into a small losing run can be costly, in terms of progression and mental state of mind. The two players speaking to Rei in his slump showed what they told him, but also what they probably meant by those "words", which must hurt Rei even more.

Still, I'm happy that Hina was able to help him out by wanting him to come over to have with them once again. That's really sweet of her. =)

Same goes for Rei buying Hina a milkshake too. Then came along Hina's crush, whose height makes Rei look pretty small. His appearance made Hina blush like a tomato and she spilt milkshake on her jacket. That's pretty embarrassing having that happen in front of the person you have a crush on, that's for sure. ^^;

A great episode overall. =)
Nov 13, 2016 3:39 PM

Oct 2012
So instead of school trip episode we got super-gloomy and heavy storytime and main character who still feels down.. well, I kinda like the approach Shaft took this time. Although I really hope he would get at least pinch of developement throughout the series and become more accepting and opened in time.

But the ending after-credits scene was priceless and I simply can't wait to see its resolution. Blushing Hina is really cute and seeing how MC had hard time dealing with the boy I was laughing too hard. Wonder if both of them at least starts to talk with each other now when they finally met, and surely there can also be a bit of envy in sports-guy seeing Hina in restaurant with older man.
But it seems very promising, he at least seems to know her (maybe he also has some hard time approaching her). No matter what the resolution is, one thing is certain - Rei has also no experience with women (not counting Kyouko) to give life advices to anyone and that's why it will be hillarious the next time.
Nov 13, 2016 4:13 PM

May 2015
The OP is growing on me.

Another good episode, yadda yadda. Hina is still the most adorable character this season, this show still balances it's comedy and it's powerful moments beautifully, it still looks amazing(we got the Shinbou tilts today), and I love it.

Next episode seems like it'll have a pretty funny start. I wonder what Sports Man's deal is and how Rei's going to interact with him.

but for real though what was up with that end card, suddenly it was just "T H I C C A F" Akari.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Nov 13, 2016 6:17 PM

Oct 2008
We get to see more thoroughly the everyday life of Rei a.k.a. "Future Master" lol
on the last part Hina blushed so adorable because of the baseball dude that suddenly showed-up on the café...
4/5.

Nov 14, 2016 2:27 AM

Jul 2013
Those head tilts were strong this episode.

Loving how the series portrays Rei's depression and PTSD. It not only makes me feel sorry for the guy, but also makes you understand pretty well why he is the way he is instead of throwing up just to know his backstory.
The interactions with the teacher were also good.

The ending was adorable. Hina it's so damn cute and shy it's ahrd to not love her. And Rei is left alone with the tall student...

That endcard was... interesting.
Nov 14, 2016 10:17 AM

Nov 2011
Voted the human introspection, it makes the narrative fruitful, because through this "alignment of the stars", you can give more incisiveness to the plot as a function of its evolution. Without this particular, we would have been facing a step ahead of the story, but without really understanding what this meant in terms of human feelings. Affected by what happens in the final, a change of scenery from reaching the plot. The three sisters, are something pleasant and never a stopgap or something unnecessary just to satisfy the male viewer. They are cute and striking, the sets; I love the designs and shades of colors used.
Nov 14, 2016 6:04 PM
Dec 2012
This show does a pretty good job of capturing so many core feelings. Like the stagnation of life. Not really being happy with where you are at in life, but not being miserable enough to make meaningful change. I think it also does very well capturing depression. From the wanting to sleep all the time to not being able to concentrate, leading to losing matches and in general trying to shut the world out.
Nov 15, 2016 5:09 PM

Apr 2014
i feel so stupid but i just realized this was made by the same producer as Bakemonogatari and Nisekoi. no wonder those weird zoomed in head tilts seemed familiar, i guess they add on that sort of animation for every anime they have. they had a lot of those head tilts this episode so i just had to check who the producer was. to be honest they don't really suit this anime when they're so overdone

still really wanna see his step-sister but i'm also really interested in this Souya Touji guy. i almost kinda wish this was a sports anime like Chihayafuru
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2016 10:18 PM

Aug 2012
Damn this episode hit home. He is having trouble cause he has nothing to fight for or win for as he says, and has lost his way I guess you could say.

I went to Uni for music. I had always been pretty good at it honorband and the like. So I went for music since it was the only thing I enjoyed. Went did my audition...was told I should find a different goal in life cause I clearly didn't have what it took. Normally things like that I ignore and just shrug it off and keep going. But something broke in me that day...I still don't know what it was but I have just lost my goal in life and I don't know this episode really struck that cord with me again and really fucking hurt.

Rant ended. TLDR: comparing my experiences with his. Also its anime so whatever I guess.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.