Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 5, 2016 8:24 PM

Feb 2013
So this chapter had nothing to do with the one that came before. Must've been a fake out for those that didn't realize that the events of the previous chapter were resolved in 119.

Gonna miss this manga sorely tbh.
Nov 5, 2016 9:19 PM

Apr 2008
I feel like we just got punked.
Nov 6, 2016 11:56 AM

Mar 2008
I feel like there was still so much to happen, like all 16 volumes was just a tiny part. But we don't really need to see all that to have the feeling that it was a fulfilling experience. It was a really rich manga in the way that there was so much going on and everything blended so well.

I'm really gonna miss Hotori...

Nov 6, 2016 1:51 PM

Oct 2010
This manga was slightly less entertaining than falling down stairs and not knowing what floor you're on.
Nov 10, 2016 9:20 PM

Feb 2013
Why does it only say 130 chapters?

Anyway, I loved the whole thing!!! I am going to miss this manga very much :(
Nov 14, 2016 5:20 AM

Oct 2016
That's quite a sedate, nonsensical ending. I like it.

I'll sure miss this series. It has a cool honest charm that's hard to describe.
Jan 3, 2017 11:53 PM

Mar 2014
I will miss this manga. Though I didn't think the supernatural stories were as strong as the SOL ones, the overall structure (chapters released in a non-chronological order) was refreshing.

But I would have atleast liked to see a chapter set after 10 years or so- there was one but, as is so often the case in SoreMachi, it turned out to be a story Hotori wrote. In the end no one confessed and things stayed the same. It doesn't feel like the manga ended at all. There are still so many stories to be told.

What happens to Ebi chan and Takeru? Hotori-Sanada-Tatsun love triangle? Kon-senpai and her upperclassman in middle school exactly? Moriaki and that teacher who had a crush on him? When will things, as they inevitably will, change in the shopping district? So many things, and the manga ends abruptly.

Its disappointing to see shonen action manga, without even a decent story, run so long but manga like SoreMachi ending. But I guess its all the authors wish. If he thought this was all the best way to end the series, so be it.
Jan 4, 2017 9:23 AM

Mar 2008
This list here: http://pastebin.com/0vx1uewG

28 chapters still left to order.
Chapter 26 is obviously the older one.

And by the way, what happened to chapters 103 to 107?

@SpikeCB
By that list above, we had not one chapter during the last three months where your questions would be answered.
Jan 4, 2017 9:42 AM

Mar 2014
PaninaManina said:

@SpikeCB
By that list above, we had not one chapter during the last three months where your questions would be answered.

I didn't understand what you wrote. Can you be more clearer? The manga has ended after 138 chapters, right? As far as I remember, the questions still remain.
Jan 4, 2017 11:24 AM

Mar 2008
PaninaManina said:

@SpikeCB

103 to 107 is the abandoned village arc, which was for some reason divided as just one chapter (102-1, 102-2 and so on).

SpikeCB said:
PaninaManina said:

@SpikeCB

I didn't understand what you wrote. Can you be more clearer? The manga has ended after 138 chapters, right? As far as I remember, the questions still remain.

He mean that there is still a gap of three months (January, February and December) which didn't have any chapter about. So maybe some of those things happened, maybe not. Personally I find those intentional plot holes charming. They show how a lot of things happened offscreen and you just didn't happen to see it.
OverkilledRedJan 4, 2017 12:23 PM

Jan 4, 2017 11:25 AM

Mar 2014
OverkilledRed said:
SpikeCB said:

SpikeCB said:

He mean that there is still a gap of theree months (january, february and december) which didn't have any chapter about. So maybe some of those things happened, maybe not. Personally I find theses intentional plot holes charming. They show how a lot of things happened offscreen and you just didn't happen to see it.

Oh, it makes some sense now, thanks. Still, if any major plot advancement happened in those months, we would have seen something in the subsequent chapters.

Its one of Soremachi's charms. A lot of things happen but we are only given a small glimpse in their everyday life. I atleast hoped to get some conclusion to the love triangle.
Maggot_BrainJan 4, 2017 11:28 AM
Jan 4, 2017 11:34 AM

Mar 2008
SpikeCB said:
OverkilledRed said:

He mean that there is still a gap of theree months (january, february and december) which didn't have any chapter about. So maybe some of those things happened, maybe not. Personally I find theses intentional plot holes charming. They show how a lot of things happened offscreen and you just didn't happen to see it.

Oh, it makes some sense now, thanks. Still, if any major plot advancement happened in those months, we would have seen something in the subsequent chapters.

Its one of Soremachi's charms. A lot of things happen but we are only given a small glimpse in their everyday life. I atleast hoped to get some conclusion to the love triangle.

Well, that chapter with the 10 years after epilogue is pretty much what would happen. Hotori would not be interested in any kind of romance and would rather focus on her career as a writer or a detective. I would love to have a sequel with her and Kon solving cases.

Jan 4, 2017 11:44 AM

Mar 2014
OverkilledRed said:
SpikeCB said:

Well, that chapter with the 10 years after epilogue is pretty much what would happen. Hotori would not be interested in any kind of romance and would rather focus on her career as a writer or a detective. I would love to have a sequel with her and Kon solving cases.

Thats the ideal case scenario. I can also see a Hotori and Sanada pairing, notice Hotori looking indecisive when Tatsun told her she was going to propose to Sanada.

My point is, it would have been more satisfying if the mangaka himself clarified it to some extent at the end. Thats one reason why I liked Tamako Market too. The movie wrapped up the love story, or atleast its beginning.
Jan 4, 2017 12:15 PM

Mar 2008
SpikeCB said:
OverkilledRed said:

Thats the ideal case scenario. I can also see a Hotori and Sanada pairing, notice Hotori looking indecisive when Tatsun told her she was going to propose to Sanada.

My point is, it would have been more satisfying if the mangaka himself clarified it to some extent at the end. Thats one reason why I liked Tamako Market too. The movie wrapped up the love story, or atleast its beginning.

Hm, I think you misread what she felt, which Tatsuko explain afterwards. Hotori just didn't want things to change. She is pretty neutral about Sanada and pretty much romance in general (she even explains using a detective logic, which is what she's all about). It never did feel like love triangle to me and more like how Sanada and Tatsuko were afraid of confessing.

I get that you wanted some sort of conclusion, but it was just a minor part of the story. Then again, I really liked the relationship between Hotori and Kon and, though I'm satisfied with the amount of chapters about it, would love to have more material.

Jan 4, 2017 12:33 PM

Mar 2014
OverkilledRed said:
SpikeCB said:

Hm, I think you misread what she felt, which Tatsuko explain afterwards. Hotori just didn't want things to change. She is pretty neutral about Sanada and pretty much romance in general (she even explains using a detective logic, which is what she's all about). It never did feel like love triangle to me and more like how Sanada and Tatsuko were afraid of confessing.

I get that you wanted some sort of conclusion, but it was just a minor part of the story. Then again, I really liked the relationship between Hotori and Kon and, though I'm satisfied with the amount of chapters about it, would love to have more material.

True, Hotori did not want things to change, but another way to look at it is that she did not want to confront her feelings about that matter.

Hotori liked Sanada when they were in elementary school, granted its too long ago to mean anything. And though Hotori wants to be eventually be a detective, her more immediate aims are to join a humanities degree program and maybe write a novel.

She's still a kid, and it stands to reason that her interests might change too. She has also spoken about getting a boyfriend, albeit in a joking way. It does not take a big stretch of imagination, for me, to see that a possible Hotori-Sanada pairing.
Jan 4, 2017 1:04 PM

Mar 2008
SpikeCB said:
OverkilledRed said:

True, Hotori did not want things to change, but another way to look at it is that she did not want to confront her feelings about that matter.

Hotori liked Sanada when they were in elementary school, granted its too long ago to mean anything. And though Hotori wants to be eventually be a detective, her more immediate aims are to join a humanities degree program and maybe write a novel.

She's still a kid, and it stands to reason that her interests might change too. She has also spoken about getting a boyfriend, albeit in a joking way. It does not take a big stretch of imagination, for me, to see that a possible Hotori-Sanada pairing.

I read this chapter a long time ago so I'm not completely sure, but I remember being some sort of misunderstanding of Sanada's part, which made him like her at first place.

I have to disagree with her being a kid because, despite her silliness, she is pretty mature and open about her feelings. She's not really the kind of character who would push around the bush. Different from Sanada and Tatsuko, she would confess her feelings if she had any for someone else. That's how she made Kon, an extremely closed person, be more open and honest about herself. And yeah, like I said before, she would rather be a detective or write a novel, much like Shizuka.

I don't really see any romance going on with her, but yeah it's an open path. I just don't see the point of making her a more down-to-earth character.
OverkilledRedJan 4, 2017 1:07 PM

Jan 4, 2017 1:17 PM

Mar 2014
OverkilledRed said:
SpikeCB said:

I read this chapter a long time ago so I'm not completely sure, but I remember being some sort of misuderstanding of Sanada's part, which made him like her at first place.

I have to disagree with her being a kid because, despite her silliness, she is pretty mature and open about her feelings. She's not really the kind of character who would push around the bush. Different from Sanada and Tatsuko, she would confess her feelings if she had any for someone else. That's how she made Kon, a extremely closed person, be more open a honest about herself. And yeah, like I said before, she would rather be a detective or write a novel, much like Shizuka.

I don't really see any romance going on with her, but yeah it's a open path. I just don't see the point of making her a more down-to-earth character.

She wanted to give Sanada Valentine's chocolate, with a weird face in the middle, but couldn't. The dry cleaning guy takes it and gives it to Sanada. He mentions the face to Hotori and she is surprised he knew about it.

I disagree that making Hotori and Sanada a couple would make her a 'down to earth' or 'common' character.

She herself ackowledges that detective work in real life does not happen like in novels. And while she is clear about her feelings, she is not organised enough. She has next to no idea what she has to do and how she has to prepare to be a detective. It is this aspect which makes her childish.

The way I see Hotori, the future will not look like she wrote at all. She might become an author and/or an elementary school teacher.
Jan 4, 2017 1:22 PM

Mar 2008
Hotori likes Sanada enough to accept being his girlfriend, but why change anything when everything is just fine? For more that Hotori likes Sanada she loves others things and her life more, she has other priorities in live. Hotori seems the type to start being concerned about a man in her thirties, marriage after the forties.
If... only if Kon don't try to "marry" her because she has chances.
Jan 4, 2017 1:57 PM

Mar 2008
SpikeCB said:
OverkilledRed said:

I read this chapter a long time ago so I'm not completely sure, but I remember being some sort of misuderstanding of Sanada's part, which made him like her at first place.

I have to disagree with her being a kid because, despite her silliness, she is pretty mature and open about her feelings. She's not really the kind of character who would push around the bush. Different from Sanada and Tatsuko, she would confess her feelings if she had any for someone else. That's how she made Kon, a extremely closed person, be more open a honest about herself. And yeah, like I said before, she would rather be a detective or write a novel, much like Shizuka.

I don't really see any romance going on with her, but yeah it's a open path. I just don't see the point of making her a more down-to-earth character.

She wanted to give Sanada Valentine's chocolate, with a weird face in the middle, but couldn't. The dry cleaning guy takes it and gives it to Sanada. He mentions the face to Hotori and she is surprised he knew about it.

I disagree that making Hotori and Sanada a couple would make her a 'down to earth' or 'common' character.

She herself ackowledges that detective work in real life does not happen like in novels. And while she is clear about her feelings, she is not organised enough. She has next to no idea what she has to do and how she has to prepare to be a detective. It is this aspect which makes her childish.

The way I see Hotori, the future will not look like she wrote at all. She might become an author and/or an elementary school teacher.

It wasn't for Sanada. His father happened to get it because she didn't have the courage to give it to the boy she liked. It's not disclosed who he was, but as the whole chapter is about Sanada's misinterpretations, I'm pretty sure it wasn't him.

My point is that she is a free-spirited character who likes to make the world more imaginative and bigger than it's, and wouldn't really care about investing in a relationship and having the worries that it brings. Yeah, she is still have ways to go, but that's the point in life where we all are still unsure about the future and if we want to pursue our dreams or a more grounded choice. It's not clear what Hotori will choose in the future, but she is bright enough to pursue what she really wants.

PaninaManina said:
Hotori likes Sanada enough to accept being his girlfriend, but why change anything when everything is just fine? For more that Hotori likes Sanada she loves others things and her life more, she has other priorities in live. Hotori seems the type to start being concerned about a man in her thirties, marriage after the forties.

I guess she would have a hard time breaking down her perception of Sanada. The way she sees him is more like a brother and a close friend. I mean, that's how SoreMachi goes. Everyone around her is like her family. And she wouldn't want it to change at any point, not at least in a close future. She wants everything to stay the way it has always been.

Jan 4, 2017 2:03 PM

Mar 2014
OverkilledRed said:
SpikeCB said:

It wasn't for Sanada. His father happened to get it because she didn't have the courage to give it to the boy she liked. It's not disclosed who he was, but as the whole chapter is about Sanada's misinterpretations, I'm pretty sure it wasnt' him.

My point is that she is a free-spirited character who likes to make the world more imaginative and bigger than it's, and wouldn't really care about investing in a relationship and having the worries that it brings. Yeah, she is still have ways to go, but that's the point of life where we all are still unsure about the future and if we want to pursue our dreams or a more grounded choice. It's not clear what Hotori wil be in the future, but she is bright enough to pursue what she really wants.

PaninaManina said:

I guess she would have a hard time breaking down her perception of Sanada. The way she sees him is more like a brother and a close friend. I mean, that's how SoreMachi goes. Everyone around her is like her family. And she wouldn't want it to change at any point, not at least in a close future. She wants everything to stay the way it has always been.

Sanada's father didn't get the chocolate, the fat guy did. And the chocolate had a note with Sanada's name, if I remember correctly. This incident happened much before the gym jersey misunderstanding.

Hotori does not want things to change, but is also clever enough to know that they will. Thats what I took in from her and Tatsuns confrontation.

I say you are projecting some of your own ideas about how Hotori thinks, but maybe we all do a bit.
Maggot_BrainJan 4, 2017 2:18 PM
Jan 4, 2017 2:33 PM

Mar 2008
SpikeCB said:
OverkilledRed said:

It wasn't for Sanada. His father happened to get it because she didn't have the courage to give it to the boy she liked. It's not disclosed who he was, but as the whole chapter is about Sanada's misinterpretations, I'm pretty sure it wasnt' him.

My point is that she is a free-spirited character who likes to make the world more imaginative and bigger than it's, and wouldn't really care about investing in a relationship and having the worries that it brings. Yeah, she is still have ways to go, but that's the point of life where we all are still unsure about the future and if we want to pursue our dreams or a more grounded choice. It's not clear what Hotori wil be in the future, but she is bright enough to pursue what she really wants.

Sanada's father didn't get the chocolate, the fat guy did. And the chocolate had a note with Sanada's name, if I remember correctly.

Hotori does not want things to change, but is also clever enough to know that they will. Thats what I took in from her and Tatsuns confrontation.

I say you are projecting some of your own ideas about how Hotori thinks, but maybe we all do a bit.

I reread the chapter and the laundry guy tried to get it, but was stopped by Sanada's father and the other guy, who then decided who would get it in a jankenpo match. She only mistakenly wrote "form* Arashiyama".

Yeah, I agree that's my interpretation, but there's more than one side of her, which also reflects in the structure of the manga. We have chapters about her solving cases like a wannabe detective, witnessing (for the most part unaware) supernatural phenomena and, sometimes, just her daily life. The world around her goes as far as her imagination and she wants to embrace it all without worrying about any change for now.

Jan 4, 2017 8:41 PM

Mar 2014
OverkilledRed said:
SpikeCB said:

Sanada's father didn't get the chocolate, the fat guy did. And the chocolate had a note with Sanada's name, if I remember correctly.

I reread the chapter and the laundry guy tried to get it, but was stopped by Sanada's father and the other guy, who then decided who would get it in a jankenpo match. She only mistakenly wrote "form* Arashiyama".

Yeah, I agree that's my interpretation, but there's more than one side of her, which also reflects in the structure of the manga. We have chapters about her solving cases like a wannabe detective, witnessing (for the most part unaware) supernatural phenomena and, sometimes, just her daily life. The world around her goes as far as her imagination and she wants to embrace it all without worrying about any change for now.

You may be right, but I also got the sense that it was meant for Sanada in the first place. Remember, Sanada was pretty much the only guy Hotori was close to in elementary school. But this must be how I would like to look at it.

I agree that romance is not a major theme of the manga, but it was also one of the few left completely unresolved.
Maggot_BrainJan 4, 2017 9:10 PM
Aug 3, 2017 6:51 PM

Aug 2014
SpikeCB said:
OverkilledRed said:

can you tell me what happened with Hotori,Sanada and Tatsun? what is that about proposing? which chapter? and also did she do it? i'm too lazy to read the whole manga so i just want to know what happened in the manga? also i read a weird chapter where it started with lots of congratulations and stuff so what was that about?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 3, 2017 7:46 PM

Mar 2014
Mezo-RPWPA said:
SpikeCB said:

can you tell me what happened with Hotori,Sanada and Tatsun? what is that about proposing? which chapter? and also did she do it? i'm too lazy to read the whole manga so i just want to know what happened in the manga? also i read a weird chapter where it started with lots of congratulations and stuff so what was that about?

Read Chapters 58 Blood Valentine and 132 Ddetective Girls Final. Tatsun did not have the courage to propose in the end. And I don't remember what the chapter you are talking about is.
Aug 4, 2017 5:59 AM

Aug 2014
SpikeCB said:
Mezo-RPWPA said:

Read Chapters 58 Blood Valentine and 132 Ddetective Girls Final. Tatsun did not have the courage to propose in the end. And I don't remember what the chapter you are talking about is.

ok, thanks, also it turned out to be the extra chapter of volume 16 after the chapter when the author said he doesn't know how to end the manga.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 30, 2020 2:59 AM
Nov 2017
I'm a couple years late to this, but...
I just finished this manga only moments ago. About an hour ago I accidentally mistook the last chapter to be chapter 137, where Hotori presses the button, and to be frank it shook me in a bad way. It was just too abrupt and cruel. My stomach turned and I had to just sit and sulk for a bit.
Thanks to this thread, though, I realized I missed a chapter. I went to read it immediately. When they finally said her name and revealed that she still existed, it got me. I'm not sure if it was intentional by the author but that was the most relieved I've ever felt from a manga. I'm still reeling from it.
I'm really going to miss this manga.
Jul 10, 2020 12:12 PM

Jan 2019
This might be one of my favorite manga, and i accidentally stumbled up it and decided to read it on a whim, lovely characters and stories. Was confused at moments about the story and the chronological order of it all, but i really enjoyed it altogether. I will miss my girls (and boys) :(
Jul 10, 2020 2:58 PM
Nov 2017
mrboko1234 said:
This might be one of my favorite manga, and i accidentally stumbled up it and decided to read it on a whim, lovely characters and stories. Was confused at moments about the story and the chronological order of it all, but i really enjoyed it altogether. I will miss my girls (and boys) :(

There's also an anime that does have at least one original bit iirc, though much of it is adaptations from manga chapters. Would recommend the blurays for it since the difference was actually pretty huge.
Oct 24, 2020 1:27 PM

Aug 2014
Really dope manga with a swell cast of characters. The author pushed a lot of occult/sci-fi yadda yadda chapters one after the other at a point in the last third and can't say I was that glad about it. But they are part of what made this manga so fresh to read, even if I thought it was because it sprinkled them in and not push them a bit more strongly. Most of these stories were still alright, but leave me with confused feelings about the manga overall compared to just more normal friends n family shenanigans.

Glad I read it and sad it didn't go on longer since it felt like it could and the interactions between the characters were so enjoyable.
Jul 31, 2021 10:43 AM
Apr 2021
Maggot_Brain said:
I will miss this manga. Though I didn't think the supernatural stories were as strong as the SOL ones, the overall structure (chapters released in a non-chronological order) was refreshing.

But I would have atleast liked to see a chapter set after 10 years or so- there was one but, as is so often the case in SoreMachi, it turned out to be a story Hotori wrote

Well this is necroposting to the nth degree but there is an epilogue chapter set a couple years afterwards
Its a really sweet epilogue and I love it
Sep 8, 2021 12:22 AM

May 2020
Well, that felt like a bit of a tongue-in-cheek ending, what with her unable to write an ending.

The epilogue was also nice.

Overall, this was pretty enjoyable. I didn't care for the non-chronological order of the stories but it wasn't too annoying to keep track of what was going on. The characters were fun and the stories were enjoyable. I thought some of the more supernatural stories (The Messie monster in grade school and that chapter with the ray gun) were a bit superfluous, since the author didn't really end up doing anything with it. I did like the creepy undertones the manga had during those chapters though.
Feb 13, 2022 4:52 PM
Dec 2015
The most difficult decision for me is whether to read something this good, knowing that it will end. Sigh.
Mar 3, 2022 5:55 AM
Nov 2017
bk2 said:
The most difficult decision for me is whether to read something this good, knowing that it will end. Sigh.

No kidding. This manga in particular is a real gut punch because the characters feel so alive and you get to know them for so long that it's almost like having a friend die once the story comes to a close. Not nearly as intense of course, but it hurt.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Chapter 137 Discussion

gedata - Oct 22, 2016

7 by HibiChika »»
Jan 8, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Chapter 79 Discussion

HibiChika - Jan 7, 2023

0 by HibiChika »»
Jan 7, 2023 5:08 AM

Poll: » Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Chapter 29 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Mar 22, 2013

2 by Ryan_Melvin15 »»
Jun 18, 2022 5:26 PM

Poll: » Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Chapter 1 Discussion

Eris-w- - Sep 8, 2020

1 by Gosplan14 »»
Apr 1, 2022 7:26 PM

» Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Chapter 3

Eris-w- - Sep 26, 2020

0 by Eris-w- »»
Sep 26, 2020 1:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.