Forum Settings
Forums

Why do most people like male characters over female characters?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 5, 2016 2:31 PM
Jan 2013
dicks > chicks
anime fans are all the fujo/gays
gone bai bai
Nov 5, 2016 2:32 PM

Aug 2014
Shoegum said:
demonskul777 said:
thirsty women who like their gay ships.

What does their dehydration have to do with their fondness of homosexual couples? :S

OT: I'm afraid to put more male characters on my favorites list (because I'd look super-duper gay) but I actually prefer male characters. I generally prefer male characters because:
-I love their MASSIVE DICKS.

I don't know if you're serious or not...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thirsty
Nov 5, 2016 2:34 PM

Mar 2016
Mkim said:
dicks > chicks
YES! Exactly. This is my motto. It's the way of life.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Nov 5, 2016 2:34 PM
Feb 2016
demonskul777 said:
Shoegum said:

What does their dehydration have to do with their fondness of homosexual couples? :S

OT: I'm afraid to put more male characters on my favorites list (because I'd look super-duper gay) but I actually prefer male characters. I generally prefer male characters because:
-I love their MASSIVE DICKS.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm no it was a joke lol :I
Nov 5, 2016 2:36 PM

Aug 2014
Shoegum said:
demonskul777 said:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm no it was a joke lol :I

Yeah, I figured, but I felt that if it wasn't a joke and I would have made some obscure remark that the situation would have been awkward. :/
Nov 5, 2016 2:36 PM
Feb 2016
YaoiMaster said:
Mkim said:
dicks > chicks
YES! Exactly. This is my motto. It's the way of life.

My motto is
dick
V
chicks

if you know what i mean ;)
Nov 5, 2016 2:37 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Female characters > male characters tho

Nov 5, 2016 5:40 PM

Oct 2013
Put simply: the most popular anime series of all time are shounen. The majority of shounen protagonists, naturally, are male characters, and protagonists are usually the most popular characters. Hence, a lot more male characters end up being loved and celebrated by both male and female fans. Additionally, most shounen writers cannot write women well and make them one dimensional fanservice dispensers, so that results in even less female characters being liked.

This also applies to the 2nd most popular demographic, seinen, except seinen usually has better written women.
Tpfang56Nov 5, 2016 5:44 PM
Nov 5, 2016 5:56 PM

Oct 2014
Most male main characters get better character development and depth.
Nov 5, 2016 6:08 PM

May 2014
I've never really thought about that but you're actually right OP!
In my case, only one of the characters on my favorites is a female- and that's Kagura from Gintama.

In my experience, female characters tend to come in one of three forms in many anime- that's the badass, the damsel in distress, or the dishrag personality. Maybe it's just the anime I watch, but a lot of the female characters really aren't developed as well as the male ones. Things seemed to feel more contrived with them and there always seems like there's an element of realism missing- like they're tropes and not people. I can't really explain it properly, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's something to do with Japan's cultural views on women??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 5, 2016 6:11 PM

Mar 2016
It's the opposite. . . But majority of author tend to focuses on only one male character and unlimited a mount of female characters. . . So, the love for male characters has converged, while female characters has diverged. . .
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Nov 5, 2016 6:12 PM
Jun 2015
Its because most great stories are created by men, it makes sense that most of these characters would be men because they are written by men.
Nov 5, 2016 6:14 PM

May 2014
It depends on the genre of the series.
Nov 5, 2016 6:44 PM

Sep 2015
Misogynists. Nobody likes women, they are a creature frowned upon by the community. I'm not even sure if they exist, so there's no need to take a liking to them.

If I'm being honest, the ratio of my favourite female to male characters are pretty equal. It's sort of hard to determine since some anime have a cast that's predominantly the same gender. Though, I have more waifus than husbandos.
Nov 5, 2016 8:30 PM

Jul 2013
I thought it was the other way around

Nov 5, 2016 8:34 PM

Jun 2014
Take a look at my favorite characters list. What do you notice? There's far more female characters there.

Some people are 50/50, and I typically don't have a gender preference. It just happens that the main characters of some of my favorite Anime are female.

Nov 5, 2016 8:43 PM

Sep 2012
Because you're delusional and live in an alternate reality.

Top 10 being all male just means that people prefer the same type of male character, not that they prefer male characters all together. There's room for 10 favorites per user. You could have 1 favorite male and 9 favorite females, but that 1 male character is lelouche and 50,000 other people have him as 1 of their 10 favorites, so he goes to the top. Doesn't mean you prefer male characters, it just means you have a similar criteria for what makes a good male character compared to other people.
Nov 5, 2016 8:46 PM

Feb 2015
SuperRed said:

Female Characters:

Personality+Voice+Design+Sexual Attractiveness+Waifu Potential (5)

Female Characters offer more for the audience, there you have it.

In short, when your dick-san wakes up, it's the sign that it's [finish this by adding some kind of action].
Nov 5, 2016 9:08 PM

Aug 2016
Possibly because the main character is usually a guy and is therefore more fleshed out than other characters.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Nov 5, 2016 9:39 PM

Jun 2016
Probably has to do with males being able to relate to males more.
Nov 5, 2016 10:59 PM

Oct 2016
Not to sound sexist in any way but male characters have a tendency to have more masculine side, because on all the years in anime there have not been many female protagonists, and mostly what drives an anime is to rescue the female that has been captured that has been kidnapped or that has been killed and the main character needs revenge. The whole anime media revolved on having strong masculine OP male characters, because that's the way it has been made.
Spike Spiegel: I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive. I have to do it, Faye.(CowboyBebop)
Nov 5, 2016 11:11 PM

Jan 2013
Malarkey said:
says who????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It's almost like you haven't read the first page at all.

Why do people even do this?
Nov 5, 2016 11:14 PM
Jan 2016
I like male and female characters the same, but I think there are some Bad-Ass female characters especially if the female character is the main character.
Nov 5, 2016 11:16 PM

May 2015
TitanAnteus said:
Malarkey said:
says who????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

but I have
I still dont see any generalisation of people liking female characters over male ones
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Nov 5, 2016 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
Wrong. My favorite anime character is Akemi Homura. Though there's kind of a tie between her and Emiya Kiritsugu.
And the top character on my Favorite characters section is Izayoi Sakuya, who is also female.
Nov 5, 2016 11:28 PM

Jun 2015
I... always thought I liked a lot of female characters just as much, so idk why I like male characters more o_o There are pretty great characters on both sides of the fence. Personally, I prefer to watch badass female characters with strong beliefs and willpower because I wish they existed in real life I grew up in the 90's and all you ever got were heroes and princesses so it's a cool change.
Nov 5, 2016 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
drgy55 said:
I... always thought I liked a lot of female characters just as much, so idk why I like male characters more o_o There are pretty great characters on both sides of the fence. Personally, I prefer to watch badass female characters with strong beliefs and willpower because I wish they existed in real life I grew up in the 90's and all you ever got were heroes and princesses so it's a cool change.
That. Akemi Homura is a super great character, but she is also badass. Frederica Bernkastel is also kind of badass and super cool. And they both have strong beliefs and willpower.
Nov 5, 2016 11:36 PM
Jul 2018
I like female characters more, it is kinda my fetish to like stronger female characters like shana or eureka so that is a given, also there are other reasons obviously, in fact I don't see that many strong females in animus.

And no I do not add my waifus to my fav list, OK some of them are both my waifus and fav characters but not all.
Nov 5, 2016 11:51 PM

Jan 2013
Malarkey said:
TitanAnteus said:

but I have
I still dont see any generalisation of people liking female characters over male ones

He came to that conclusion by look at MAL's most favorited characters and saw most of them were male. It's like... one of the first 5 posts.
Nov 6, 2016 12:01 AM

Sep 2011
That's news to me... I was under the impression for the complete opposite.
Nov 6, 2016 12:42 AM

Jun 2015
Lord_Sithis said:
drgy55 said:
That. Akemi Homura is a super great character, but she is also badass. Frederica Bernkastel is also kind of badass and super cool. And they both have strong beliefs and willpower.

Yah, Homura is definitely a favorite of mine. Revy from Black Lagoon... Yoko from Gurren Lagann... Senjougahara from Monogatari (Second Season and on)... Rin from Fate/Stay Night... Re'l from Ergo Proxy... Shiki from Garden of Sinners... idk what all you commenters on the first page are watching, but there are TONS of great female characters. Male characters fall into the same stereotypes. Typical harem MC with no personality, typical "justice always prevails" goody-two-shoes, typical I'm so emo and cool I put my hand on my face guy... lol it's the same both ways.
Nov 8, 2016 3:56 AM
Sep 2016
I get annoyed by both genders in anime all the time, but that's just me. There is many characters who are enjoyable to watch, on the other side there are way too many characters who give me annoying feeling when i see them.
Nov 8, 2016 4:51 AM

Nov 2009
It's because most male characters suck. The ones that don't suck tend to get a lot of favorites from people who want to be like them.
Unlike female characters, who are actually diverse, and tend to attract different people.

HaXXspetten said:
We've been through this before..

The reason most of the most favorited characters on MAL are male is not because people prefer male characters. It is because the favorites are much more evenly distributed for females, whereas people tend to like more or less the same male ones. Reason being that most anime protagonists are male and most anime non-protagonist main characters are female. As a result the individual characters with the most fans will generally be protagonists (and thus male), even though the total number of favorites per gender across all characters are probably more tilted towards females I'd reckon (though I don't actually have any stat on that). I.E: if you care about relatability and self-inserting, you'll only have one character per anime to choose from usually, but if you're in it for who you think is the most attractive for example, there'll be numerous girls to choose from and people will have different preferences, thus splitting the votes up (and you know, about 60% of MAL's users are male, most of which are straight)

This post is the best, thank you.

KazamiSan said:
Cause there isn't many female versions of Light or Lelouch
^ I'm not talking about myself.

There aren't many male versions of Light and Lelouch either.

AzraelZX said:
Because simply put. Most male characters are alot better.
They are written to be more complex and more engaging.
In most cases the females just fill a certain archetype like the tsundere, kuudere or anything of that kind.

To the guy who said the female characters offer personality... do you realize how small the amount of female characters that have an actual personality is? Most are cliché archetypes.

1) Male characters are just as cliched. Especially the main characters. They're either Generic Useless Guy, Generic Hero or Generic Edgelord. And most of them are dumb as bricks as well.
2) No, just because a character fits a pre-defined archetype, doesn't mean he or she is exactly the same as all other characters who fit the archetype. Shana isn't the same as Louise, and isn't the same as Taiga.

Psyotic said:
Possibly because the main character is usually a guy and is therefore more fleshed out than other characters.

Main characters are usually the least fleshed out, and have the blandest personalities.

RyukApplez said:
Not to sound sexist in any way but male characters have a tendency to have more masculine side, because on all the years in anime there have not been many female protagonists, and mostly what drives an anime is to rescue the female that has been captured that has been kidnapped or that has been killed and the main character needs revenge. The whole anime media revolved on having strong masculine OP male characters, because that's the way it has been made.

I have a feeling there is something wrong with your statistics. Sure, I can agree that most MCs are male, but they don't get to rescue or avenge female leads every time.

P.S. My favorites are 1 male (Shrioe from Log Horizon) to 5 females.
Nov 8, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2016
Maybe because majority of animu protagonists are men?
Nov 8, 2016 5:36 AM

Aug 2014
Maybe because lots of female characters are bland, boring with no personality and only exist to please MC-kun?
Or maybe because most male characters are just better characterized/written than females?
Or maybe it's just a matter of preference with people liking males more than females?
Nov 8, 2016 7:28 AM

Nov 2016
Heh heh, not in my case. I tend to favor females over males. :D
Nov 8, 2016 10:53 AM

Jul 2015
flannan said:

KazamiSan said:

I can name you at least 5 other minor characters.
Nov 8, 2016 12:26 PM

Nov 2008
ShakaLakaBoom said:
vvicked said:
because 90% of female characters are annoying and useless
You, my friend, deserve a cookie. Most insightful post of the day. 10/10. Throws a chocolate chip cookie.

I hope you're both joking....otherwise MISOGNY MUCH?

Nov 8, 2016 2:23 PM

Jul 2015
It depends on the series. Dragonball Z has better male characters, To Love Ru, Haganai and Squid Girl have better female characters. I like both male and female characters the same as long as they are entertaining.
Nov 8, 2016 8:52 PM

Nov 2009
KazamiSan said:
flannan said:

I can name you at least 5 other minor characters.

Please do name some. I'll use them as examples to remember some female characters like that.
Hmm... how about Momo from To Love Ru? She's got the scheming all right.
Nov 9, 2016 2:59 AM

Jul 2015
flannan said:

Please do name some. I'll use them as examples to remember some female characters like that.

To Love-Ru is a comedy anime, so even the evil can't be that serious in the series (It's a good one tho, I can laugh while fapping to it), but I guess that counts.
The character that represents The Monster from the anime Monster, his name was Johan or something.
Also, the main character of One Outs, Kaiji, Akagi and Liar Game, I think they're all made by the same author.
As well as Nine and Twelve from Zankyou no Terror.
Some people think that most of the characters from HxH count as well, like Hisoka, but I watched it a long while ago so I don't remember, but really, that depends on your perspective.
Nov 9, 2016 3:32 AM

Nov 2009
KazamiSan said:
flannan said:

To Love-Ru is a comedy anime, so even the evil can't be that serious in the series (It's a good one tho, I can laugh while fapping to it), but I guess that counts.
The character that represents The Monster from the anime Monster, his name was Johan or something.
Also, the main character of One Outs, Kaiji, Akagi and Liar Game, I think they're all made by the same author.
As well as Nine and Twelve from Zankyou no Terror.
Some people think that most of the characters from HxH count as well, like Hisoka, but I watched it a long while ago so I don't remember, but really, that depends on your perspective.

Well, scheming is pretty much a female profession, so I don't think it's hard to find some female examples.
(Note that I haven't seen Code Geass, Monster, One Outs, Kaiji, Akagi and Liar Game, so I might have latched into wrong characteristics)
Some female examples that I remember offhand: Empress (Hyouka), Seventh (Rokka no Yuusha), Five (Zankyou no Terror), Aika (Zetsuen no Tempest), Mina (Dance in the Vampire Bund).
I can probably find more with TVtropes, but I will not do so now.
Nov 9, 2016 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
flannan said:
Well, scheming is pretty much a female profession, so I don't think it's hard to find some female examples.
(Note that I haven't seen Code Geass, Monster, One Outs, Kaiji, Akagi and Liar Game, so I might have latched into wrong characteristics)
Some female examples that I remember offhand: Empress (Hyouka), Seventh (Rokka no Yuusha), Five (Zankyou no Terror), Aika (Zetsuen no Tempest), Mina (Dance in the Vampire Bund).
I can probably find more with TVtropes, but I will not do so now.

I respect that, but it doesn't really make sense to me, the ones I listed above aren't only meant to be evil, but they also want to be the best in their worlds and spread their names, like God, King whatsoever, they're also SUPER smart, and they love to use their brains to confuse the opponent mentally and physically, just like Light and Lelouch.
Btw, I haven't watched Dance in the Vampire Bund, so I can't judge that one.
Nov 9, 2016 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
karineyn said:
I like characters who are either like me in some way, or like someone I want to be. Don't care much about gender.

Pretty much sums me up. Tho, I often tend to lean on the male ones because I'm attracted to the opposite sex and it usually feels satisfying for me when a male has the qualities I personally lack. However, I recently started to take a bigger notice on the females although it doesn't change my genuine attraction.

Tpfang56 said:
Put simply: the most popular anime series of all time are shounen. The majority of shounen protagonists, naturally, are male characters, and protagonists are usually the most popular characters. Hence, a lot more male characters end up being loved and celebrated by both male and female fans. Additionally, most shounen writers cannot write women well and make them one dimensional fanservice dispensers, so that results in even less female characters being liked.

This also applies to the 2nd most popular demographic, seinen, except seinen usually has better written women.

Seconded. But what about josei? Does it mean seinen is always superior compared to the other demographics in terms of female characters or...?
Nov 9, 2016 5:27 AM

Apr 2015
I have not yet met anyone like this.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I AM ONE CHARACTER SHORT OF THE 30 CHARACTER LIMIT!?!?
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Nov 9, 2016 5:29 AM
Aug 2015
Mangashines said:
Why do you like male character more than female characters?

Actully there more female Chacters I like then male chacters
Nov 9, 2016 5:37 AM

Jan 2014
cause female characters are too femalish compared to myself
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Nov 9, 2016 5:42 AM

Apr 2011
Because the majority of female characters are portrayed as weaklings, unable to fend for themselves or they are merely there as penis-bait. Saying this as a woman.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Nov 9, 2016 12:06 PM

Feb 2015
flannan said:
It's because most male characters suck. The ones that don't suck tend to get a lot of favorites from people who want to be like them.
Unlike female characters, who are actually diverse, and tend to attract different people.

HaXXspetten said:
We've been through this before..

The reason most of the most favorited characters on MAL are male is not because people prefer male characters. It is because the favorites are much more evenly distributed for females, whereas people tend to like more or less the same male ones. Reason being that most anime protagonists are male and most anime non-protagonist main characters are female. As a result the individual characters with the most fans will generally be protagonists (and thus male), even though the total number of favorites per gender across all characters are probably more tilted towards females I'd reckon (though I don't actually have any stat on that). I.E: if you care about relatability and self-inserting, you'll only have one character per anime to choose from usually, but if you're in it for who you think is the most attractive for example, there'll be numerous girls to choose from and people will have different preferences, thus splitting the votes up (and you know, about 60% of MAL's users are male, most of which are straight)

This post is the best, thank you.

KazamiSan said:

AzraelZX said:
Because simply put. Most male characters are alot better.
They are written to be more complex and more engaging.
In most cases the females just fill a certain archetype like the tsundere, kuudere or anything of that kind.

To the guy who said the female characters offer personality... do you realize how small the amount of female characters that have an actual personality is? Most are cliché archetypes.

1) Male characters are just as cliched. Especially the main characters. They're either Generic Useless Guy, Generic Hero or Generic Edgelord. And most of them are dumb as bricks as well.
2) No, just because a character fits a pre-defined archetype, doesn't mean he or she is exactly the same as all other characters who fit the archetype. Shana isn't the same as Louise, and isn't the same as Taiga.

Psyotic said:

Main characters are usually the least fleshed out, and have the blandest personalities.

RyukApplez said:

I have a feeling there is something wrong with your statistics. Sure, I can agree that most MCs are male, but they don't get to rescue or avenge female leads every time.

P.S. My favorites are 1 male (Shrioe from Log Horizon) to 5 females.

Those male stereotypes you listed are just of shitty Slice Of Life anime or anythng ecchi that don't really emphasise on the male so they can sell figurines of their heroines.
Not that the heroines are any better but stupid virgins will not take that into account. They're just stupid archetypes, not a single unique female character out of a small minority.

Revi from Black Lagoon is an example but Rock is just as complex as her so...
Eureka is a really good female character as well.

If you think Saber from Fate is a good female character or any Date A Live, Highschool DxD or any other character from those sort of anime then you're dead wrong. Or any character from animes with forced weeb humor. (Sakurasou No Pet No Kanojo as an example)

In any other form of anime that actually takes itself seriously, males are way more diverse and complex.
Action/Adventures for example.

In Toaru Majutsu No Index for example, not a single good female character except Misaka and she is pretty cliché as well, just enjoyable cliché.
Which one is the most complex and most liked character in there? Accelerator, that's right. A male character

You can't deny that male characters are waaayy more diverse

Lelouch

Edward Elric

Naruto (Might seem cliché at first but tell me another anime with a protagonist like this, he may seem dumb so he can fit the shonen stereotype but he is actually smart).

Hei from Darker Than Black

Spike Spiegel

Jin and Mugen from Samurai Champloo

Kuroro Lucifer from Hunter X Hunter

Soul ''Eater'' Evans from Soul Eater

Tsunayoshi Sawada

Toshiro (Bleach)

Urahara Keisuke

Trafalgar Law

Sakata Gintoki

Ryuzaki L
And alot more. All of these are diverse, unique and some of them are complex.
List me a few anime girls to prove diversity and uniqueness.

''Shana isn't the same as Louse and Louse isn't the same as Taiga'' speaks volumes of how you think...

They are almost the same with a very small non-essential difference.
If this is how little it takes to convince you that a character is different then male cast must be like the fucking rainbow for you. (If you actually stop watching anime who shit on males just so they can sell their figurines, since 2 of the animes of which characters you mentioned are like that.)

I could go on for days listing male characters but I have stuff to do.

''Main characters are usually the least fleshed out and have the blandest personality'' Yet again... that's simply untrue.
That's the case in stupid weeb trash like all ecchi anime, most slice of life anime (the generic ones like Sakurasou No Pet Na Kanojo, Boku Wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, etc.)
Not a slice of life but Ookami San to nakama-tachi falls in that generic category as well.

Main characters in good stuff are actually developed alot.
Good stuff = something that's made to actually progress the story in a good way, not to just show us boobs and progress story to manage to show even more boobs like (Shinmai Maou No Testament).

This is usually the dumb logic of people who think Rakudai Kishi was some sort of a masterpiece.
AzurealXNov 9, 2016 12:17 PM
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Nov 9, 2016 12:40 PM

Mar 2015
Because the protagonist is usually the most well-written/popular character in a show. Combine that with the fact that there's more male leads and there you have it.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
4 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
13 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
28 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.