Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 5, 2016 6:56 AM

Aug 2012
Hi!
I have no point I just want to hear your opinion about shonen made by women.
Lets start with facts : I am a girl, I love shonen, seinen, shojo, josei, sol, comedy...mostly anykind.
I realized recently that all the shonen I loved the most (Pandora Hearts, Inuyasha, Noragami) where made by women and were shonen. Itself it means nothing, but then I wondered why I loved them and I guess its because of the way the relations between the characters are portrayed. Most of the time in these, its beyond friendship or love, its attachment and a deep bond.

(Im not talking about seinen, but about usual shonen)
(Maybe I couldve added FMA there too? From what Ive heard it seems I could but since i haven't read/watched it myself I won't)

I haven't found that kind of relation in many other shonen and its turns out to be those ones : is it just a coincidence?
Have you noticed a link between if the authors is a man or a women, and how it influences the manga? Of course it does, but I mean a caracterisitc beyond shojo/shonen and that could work for any genre of manga no matter what it is.
Its also interesting to see that in the manga Ive quoted the readers are not only guys (since its shonen and that lets face it there is shonen explicitly made for guys, some arent but some are, and those that Ive quoted and made by women aren't : is it just a coincidence?

I don't really have an opinion about the questions I'm asking you, I just really wanna know what you think about it.
Thank you!
AmyltiaNov 5, 2016 2:51 PM
Nov 5, 2016 6:57 AM

Oct 2015
I think Ao No Exorcist is written by a woman
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Nov 5, 2016 7:27 AM

Aug 2012
gracey781 said:

And do you think its different from other shonen (and that it could be related to that)?
Nov 5, 2016 10:49 AM

Oct 2016
I'm pretty sure Hikaru No Go was written by a woman. I can't say if it's all that different from other series (besides not being centered around action/fighting) since I mostly read seinen.
Nov 5, 2016 1:23 PM

Jul 2014
Amyltia said:
gracey781 said:

And do you think its different from other shonen (and that it could be related to that)?

Yeah, it is written by a woman, and she knows her fans are mostly women. It shows in the way the the character system is structured and in the designs. Personally, I think that what sets female authors apart is that for them relationships, not necessary love, are the most important, and these relationships must create context for action. Men can enjoy action for the sake of action more often, for women psychological meaning of actions must be present.
Interestingly, it doesn't help female characters.
Btw, I suppose you talk about traditional battle shonen, because there're different types, aren't they? I wouldn't put Noragami together with Naruto, for example.

Ao no Exorcist offers material for incest shipping, while it's not in the story itself at all, it has love and complex character relationships. Later it has also become bolder with female-oriented fanservice.
Kekkaishi is of the same breed - a battle shonen with good cast and emotional issues.
Nov 5, 2016 4:32 PM

Jul 2014
Yamada and the Seven Witches is written by a female author.
Nov 5, 2016 4:35 PM

Mar 2015
Magi's written by a female author and it's my fave manga.
Nov 5, 2016 4:49 PM

Sep 2013
It usually has less hotblooded and less passionate characters.
Nov 5, 2016 5:04 PM
Feb 2015
Katekyo Hitman Reborn,D.Gray Man
Nov 5, 2016 10:58 PM

Nov 2014
Some Shonen series i know that written by woman :

- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Katekyou Hitman Reborn
- Magi : the Labyrinth of Magic
- D.Gray Man
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Nov 6, 2016 11:36 PM

Apr 2014
gracey781 said:
Oh, that explains why the illustrations and characters looks so girly.
RiceLover said:
Yamada and the Seven Witches is written by a female author.
Yes, this is the best one I can think of, because she really knows "that" stuff.
RayzerNov 6, 2016 11:40 PM
Haters always gonna hate.
Nov 14, 2016 8:06 AM

Jan 2012
gracey781 said:
I think that what sets female authors apart is that for them relationships, not necessary love, are the most important, and these relationships must create context for action. Men can enjoy action for the sake of action more often, for women psychological meaning of actions must be present.

I agree that there is a stronger emphasis on character building through relationships in manga written by women. But is this necessarily because they know their audience is mostly female? I would be curious to see MAL breakdown what manga are read my male/female users to see if readers are drawn content written by their gender. I can imagine Naruto having a much higher male readership than Inuyasha, but Full Metal Alchemist, Magi, and Ao no Exorcist are interesting middle grounds.
Nov 14, 2016 5:56 PM

Mar 2009
I actually do think women make the best shonen manga. Hikaru no Go, Kekkaishi, Magi, Blue Exorcist, I didn't even realize Noragami was a team of two women, but yeah, I overall do prefer shonen manga written by women. And yes, I do think the characters are usually just better.

They also sometimes make really manly shojo to the point where it might as well be shonen. That's where Banana Fish and Basara come in, if you need more "shonen by women" but have run short on the "shonen" part.

I do still enjoy shonen made by men too though, Firefighter Daigo is one of my favorite manga period. But it's really an action series with minimal character development, so maybe that's part of why it works so well (that and the action is amazingly drawn).
Nov 14, 2016 7:43 PM
Jul 2018
D. Gray-Man, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Pandora Hearts. All written by women.
Nov 15, 2016 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
FallnKnightFakir said:
They also sometimes make really manly shojo to the point where it might as well be shonen. That's where Banana Fish and Basara come in, if you need more "shonen by women" but have run short on the "shonen" part.

What distinguish shōnen and shōjo is not that much the content, since you can find both action/adventure and romance stuffs in the two demographics, but it is more how it is made.

Shōjo focus more on the psychological aspect, hence the better character development and more "romance"-oriented (or broader interpersonal relationships) in general.
Shōnen, I didn't read much of them, but to me they seems to be more "primal" and "technical", hence a better « action » (in the broad definition of that word, be it combat, sport or shōgi) at average and more simplistic emotions (all those "-dere" stuffs notably that are more frequent in shōnen than in shōjo).

By extension, women authors have a more "shōjo-ish approach" and men authors a more "shōnen-ish one", independently of them writing a shōnen or a shōjo manga.
Because that difference in the approach reflect in fact the stereotyped psychology of men and women in the Japanese society.
The difference is when a female author writing a shōnen manga or a male writing a shōjo one, there is the editors who ensure that the manga stay more or less in the shōnen/shōjo canon.
And of course, we are speaking of "stereotype" here, most people don't follow them perfectly. I particularly think of the authors who specialize themselves in their "opposite demographic".

And in addition of speaking about "stereotype", what I said is a generalization anyway, it is easy to find some exceptions.

For speaking about an action/adventure shōnen manga written by a woman (a very shōjo-ish one), there is the case of Terra e. To me, it was obvious that in the first part of the manga, the author forced herself to fits the shōnen canons, especially when the MC discover his powers, but she quickly dropped it to return in a more shōjo-ish work. Clearly, it wasn't natural for her.
Nov 15, 2016 6:13 AM

Jul 2015
LouM said:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn,D.Gray Man

I was going to recommend these exact two lol.
Nov 15, 2016 10:22 AM

Nov 2016
You can easily tell D. Gray Man is written by a woman. Mostly because of how the characters behave (and I think the fact she makes the boys wear very tight clothes is some kind of fan service... Not really a fan of this honestly, but the stroy is great!!!)

Now to answer OP's question, Fullmetal Alchemist, Katekyo Hitman Reborn and Kekkaishi feel exactly the same way than the mangas written by men, wether it is in terms of action or personality of the characters.
Jul 31, 2019 10:16 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
hello hello hello sorry to blast into the past here but i got a few two cents ig

I too am a girl who doesn't mind some shonen and seinen and shoujo and a lil bit of josei manga.
I don't think I read that many shonen manga, but one of the few shonen manga I actually finished and liked is Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. And that manga was made by CLAMP, which is a pretty much all-female mangaka group best known for classics like Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits (which I didn't read but I've definitely heard a lot about).

I can't say the authors being female actually influenced Tsubasa in a way that makes it a more distinct shonen though. Yeah, some part of the manga is definitely different (especially in the later volumes), but I doubt the authors' gender played a part of that different taste. I have read a few other shonen like Bleach and My Hero Academia, and I don't feel that much of a difference like how you described between Tsubasa and series like these examples.

I honestly haven't thought about something like this before
Jul 31, 2019 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
Damn, 3+ years and no one mentioned rumiko?

Ranma 1/2 and inuyasha, babies. More so inuyasha.
Aug 1, 2019 8:34 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Veneficia said:

OP literally mentioned Inuyasha:
Amyltia said:

Lets start with facts : I am a girl, I love shonen, seinen, shojo, josei, sol, comedy...mostly anykind.
I realized recently that all the shonen I loved the most (Pandora Hearts, Inuyasha, Noragami) where made by women and were shonen.
Aug 2, 2019 3:25 AM

Jan 2009
Kimetsu no Yaiba is another shonen made by a woman i heard and its great
Aug 4, 2019 12:29 AM
Dec 2017
Well, there's Blue Exorcist by Kazue Kato, Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi, Katekyo Hitman Reborn by Akira Amano, and D Gray-man by Katsura Hoshino.
Aug 4, 2019 5:50 AM

Feb 2018
Amyltia said:
Hi!
I realized recently that all the shonen I loved the most (Pandora Hearts, Inuyasha, Noragami) where made by women and were shonen. Itself it means nothing, but then I wondered why I loved them and I guess its because of the way the relations between the characters are portrayed. Most of the time in these, its beyond friendship or love, its attachment and a deep bond.

(Maybe I couldve added FMA there too? From what Ive heard it seems I could but since i haven't read/watched it myself I won't)

I haven't found that kind of relation in many other shonen and its turns out to be those ones : is it just a coincidence?
Have you noticed a link between if the authors is a man or a women, and how it influences the manga? Of course it does, but I mean a caracterisitc beyond shojo/shonen and that could work for any genre of manga no matter what it is.
Its also interesting to see that in the manga Ive quoted the readers are not only guys (since its shonen and that lets face it there is shonen explicitly made for guys, some arent but some are, and those that Ive quoted and made by women aren't : is it just a coincidence?

I don't really have an opinion about the questions I'm asking you, I just really wanna know what you think about it.
Thank you!

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38000/Kimetsu_no_Yaiba was written and drawn by female mangaka, Koyoharu Gotouge

also if you're a girl, i recommend you to read https://myanimelist.net/manga/112115/Act-age. Yes the author is male (the artist is female though) but it feel like a shojo manga that have shonen elemen in that, especially because the MC is female. Same as The Promised Neverland (male author, female artist) https://myanimelist.net/manga/100128/Yakusoku_no_Neverland, but it feel more shonen despite have female MC.
Aug 4, 2019 7:18 AM

Oct 2015
Shonen works by female authors seem to have more pretty boys and personal stories. If that is to your liking, then you'll likely enjoy it more.
Aug 29, 2019 8:53 AM

Mar 2017
Switch: a shonen made by two women,
Saiyuki : the author is woman, the first series was a shonen before switching to josei magazine.
Aug 29, 2019 1:36 PM

Jan 2019
Demon Slayer Kimetsu no Yaiba is written and illustrated by Koyoharu Gotouge, a women and it's honestly one of the best shonen out right now!
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
Sep 2, 2019 1:55 PM

Jun 2016
Pandora Hearts still has that shoujo vibes and that put me off.
FMA is my all time favorite shonen manga.
Sep 8, 2019 1:33 PM

Apr 2010
I think there's something in it, but I never deeply checked that out. I must say I was a bit surprised Rurouni Kenshin was written by a male mangaka.

Sep 8, 2019 5:24 PM

Mar 2019
Amyltia said:
So, are you talking about the target demographic or mean you merely magical boy as a genre: as in the genre with a male protagonist action hero with superhuman powers — be it alchemy, ki-manipulation, or turning into a Titan — of some sorts?

I generally feel that more often than not the best authors are the ones that write outside of their own gender demographic with the best syouzyo also written by male authors. This is I assume because ere an author get published he has already shown that he can do the usual things. So a female author writing for a male demographic by default can typically already do the usual "boy things" right but often the male authors lack in the "girl things" which the female author often does not.

It's of course hardly an absolute rule: I would, when pressed, have guessed the authors of Lotte's Toy and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun to have been female and male respectively but that was not the case. Quite often when fan-servicy stuff is made for a male demographic it lacks in præsentable, or interesting male characters but with Lotte that was not the case.

Also: this "women authors" neologism is vile and needs to stop: the correct English form is, and has always been "female authors"; "women authors" is ridiculous: adjunct nouns in English do not pluralize along with their head noun; at the very best it's "woman authors" and even that sounds silly and absurd. The English word "woman" is not an adjective and when used as an adjunct describes a patient.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Sep 8, 2019 7:07 PM

Jun 2014
Shounen (some) written by female authors tend to be shoujoish. You can still see some elements that are usually in shoujo. Lots of bishounen characters, BL undertones, reverse harem vibes, normal female x supernatural male etc.
The author of Good Ending, Ichigo 100% and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches are female too but their story are very shounen although you can still notice the art style were drawn by a female.
And imo
Seinen written by a female is better than shounen written by a female.
Sep 8, 2019 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
I know this thread is kinda necro-y but there's Mitsudomoe and Hare+Guu, both shonen gag manga by female mangaka.
Oct 21, 2019 11:02 AM

Aug 2016
as far as i know the only female mangaka who makes seinen,horror or shounen in a different way is hayashida
otherwise you can easily tell the difference between shounen written by male and female as others have pointed out before me
Nov 21, 2019 2:39 PM
Dec 2015
Soho-Jin said:
I'm pretty sure Hikaru No Go was written by a woman. I can't say if it's all that different from other series (besides not being centered around action/fighting) since I mostly read seinen.

I think it's pretty remarkable that she makes us care at all about "go", a game i have no idea how to play myself. I'd say the author really has a mind for understanding what her readers like.

EfiChan said:
I think there's something in it, but I never deeply checked that out. I must say I was a bit surprised Rurouni Kenshin was written by a male mangaka.

He definitely has a shoujo-ish style. The author claims to have read alot of shoujo as a kid.
Veneficia said:

Urusei Yatsura? Maison Ikkoku?
Nov 21, 2019 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
YesterdaysJoe said:
Soho-Jin said:

I think it's pretty remarkable that she makes us care at all about "go", a game i have no idea how to play myself. I'd say the author really has a mind for understanding what her readers like.

EfiChan said:

He definitely has a shoujo-ish style. The author claims to have read alot of shoujo as a kid.
Veneficia said:

Urusei Yatsura? Maison Ikkoku?

Those are slice of life basically.

More topics from this board

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - 5 hours ago

0 by XGirl86 »»
5 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

148 by claricespectro »»
6 hours ago

» How do I report a review with spoiler?

Alice23_ - Today

1 by Kazzeon »»
6 hours ago

» Tell me an anime with good female cast that is used correctly

kirA_-_ - 9 hours ago

1 by zckfox »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Today

5 by rohan121 »»
Today, 8:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.