Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 3, 2016 2:31 PM

Dec 2009
Despite being #001 in the pokedex
Despite being the canon starter for Red
Despite being one of most popular and iconic pokemon worldwide
Despite being the most pokemon with screen time behind Pikachu and Meowth in Anime show
Despite being one of the best starters

They made him appear only as a TV image in this OVA......
Dec 25, 2016 3:59 PM

Apr 2015
ZeraX said:
Despite being the most pokemon with screen time behind Pikachu and Meowth in Anime show

They could have put in a Leaf cameo with Bulbasaur :P

Pokéspe is not canon to the games so that means nothing.
Dec 25, 2016 4:29 PM

Dec 2009
DanyyelTR said:
ZeraX said:

Origins is not canon to the games either, There were many differences and on top of that the mega evolution.

Bulbasaur wasn't Red's starter in Poke special only, it was his pokemon in promotional artworks, Red/Green guidebook and two other mangas and in Generations as well. Bulbasaur has been with Red in many iterations than Charmander.

Red got Charmander only in Origins and 1 short manga.

Charmander was picked for Origins because it's more popular for worldwide release and seeing how the first episode was built upon overcoming Brock gym, Squirtle or Bulbasaur wouldn't make a drama and proper development for Red.

The funny thing is that it didn't do well in Japan, its rating was lower than the TV anime despite Charmander being the most popular there too, Perhaps why they used Bulbasaur again in Generations.
Dec 25, 2016 4:43 PM

Apr 2015
ZeraX said:
DanyyelTR said:

Origins is not canon to the games either, There were many differences and on top of that the mega evolution.

Bulbasaur wasn't Red's starter in Poke special only, it was his pokemon in promotional artworks, Red/Green guidebook and two other mangas and in Generations as well. Bulbasaur has been with Red in many iterations than Charmander.

Red got Charmander only in Origins and 1 short manga.

Charmander was picked for Origins because it's more popular for worldwide release and seeing how the first episode was built upon overcoming Brock gym, Squirtle or Bulbasaur wouldn't make a drama and proper development for Red.

The funny thing is that it didn't do well in Japan, its rating was lower than the TV anime despite Charmander being the most popular there too, Perhaps why they used Bulbasaur again in Generations.
Just saying that Red has no definitive canon starter, it depends what canon you're looking at

Regarding the games Origins serves as a rough placeholder of the Kanto-events in the Mega-Timeline
Jan 21, 2017 10:14 PM
Jul 2018
Venusaur is lesser badass than charizard.
Jan 22, 2017 12:28 PM

Dec 2009
RKarim69f117 said:

You never read the manga then.

Also losing in the beauty contest doesn't mean that Venusaur doesn't deserve an appearance.
ZeraXJan 22, 2017 12:35 PM
Jan 22, 2017 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
ZeraX said:
RKarim69f117 said:

Also losing in the beauty contest doesn't mean that Venusaur doesn't deserve an appearance.
Yeah I admit that I didn't finish the manga yet, but I dont think they would follow the manga storyline.I hope they make one very soon since Ash is getting older.
Jan 22, 2017 9:27 PM

Dec 2009
RKarim69f117 said:
ZeraX said:

Yeah I admit that I didn't finish the manga yet, but I dont think they would follow the manga storyline.I hope they make one very soon since Ash is getting older.

You don't need to finish the manga. The Red Chapter (first 40 chapters) is enough to see how badass Bulbasaur was.

For a quick refresh.

It defeated an enraged Machoke and buffed-up Gyarados with no scratches when it was just a fresh Pokemon out of Oak's lab.

Caught a Mew where others couldn't.

Defeated both Charmeleon (As a Bulbasaur) and Charizard without damage. It also absorbed Charmeleons's fire spin with its bulb to make a new attack out of it.

Won against a Super-charged Zapdos, Electrode and Magnemite as an Ivysaur! Dude, Ivysaur!!
Jan 23, 2017 7:31 AM

Jul 2013
ZeraX said:
RKarim69f117 said:

You don't need to finish the manga. The Red Chapter (first 40 chapters) is enough to see how badass Bulbasaur was.

For a quick refresh.

It defeated an enraged Machoke and buffed-up Gyarados with no scratches when it was just a fresh Pokemon out of Oak's lab.

Defeated both Charmeleon (As a Bulbasaur) and Charizard without damage. It also absorbed Charmeleons's fire spin with its bulb to make a new attack out of it.

Won against a Super-charged Zapdos, Electrode and Magnemite as an Ivysaur! Dude, Ivysaur!!

Wow the manga looks like its overblown with asspulls. Is his Bulbasaur lvl 100?
Jan 23, 2017 7:51 AM

Dec 2009
Tenshi_Shura said:
ZeraX said:

For a quick refresh.

During that Charmeleon it was around level 15, and at Zapdos event, it was around level 30s (The manga has levels, unlike anime)

But Bulbasaur isn't any less badass in the anime either.

It never evolved in the anime but was on par with fully evolved Pokemon like Charizard, Vileplume, Exeggutor and Meganium (both fainted because of long battle).

Also it defeated a Dusclops which defeated Charizard, and afterwards defeated a Solrock which defeated Squirtle.
In this single episode, Bulbasaur took several Fire and Psychic moves in two battles. He went into battle with Solrock in terrible shape after his battle with Dusclops (who landed direct hits with Fire moves). Solrock used Psychic moves against Bulbasaur which is also super effective on it. Successfully defeating both and fainting at the end.

Yeah, that's how badass Bulbasaur is. But the manga version is still far superior, i mean that thing eats Fire moves with its bulb and making pokemon like Zapdos and Charizard a total jokes!
Jan 23, 2017 8:03 AM

Jul 2013
ZeraX said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

During that Charmeleon it was around level 15, and at Zapdos event, it was around level 30s (The manga has levels, unlike anime)

But Bulbasaur isn't any less badass in the anime either.

It never evolved in the anime but was on par with fully evolved Pokemon like Charizard, Vileplume, Exeggutor and Meganium (both fainted because of long battle).

Also it defeated a Dusclops which defeated Charizard, and afterwards defeated a Solrock which defeated Squirtle.
In this single episode, Bulbasaur took several Fire and Psychic moves in two battles. He went into battle with Solrock in terrible shape after his battle with Dusclops (who landed direct hits with Fire moves). Solrock used Psychic moves against Bulbasaur which is also super effective on it. Successfully defeating both and fainting at the end.

Yeah, that's how badass Bulbasaur is. But the manga version is still far superior, i mean that thing eats Fire moves with its bulb and making pokemon like Zapdos and Charizard a total jokes!

Okay. I'm convinced. The manga is indeed full of asspulls. Bulbasaur should have already fainted by then and it doesn't even have Synthesis to heal itself but it was somehow able to tank moves that were super effective against it and defeat opponents it shouldn't have.
Jan 23, 2017 8:16 AM

Dec 2009
Almost every protoganist's Pokemon has such moments.

Let's not forget about Pikachu defeating legendaries by himself. And Charizard defeating Golem and Blastoise in row (both are stronger type-wise) and the list goes on.

Pikachu though, is known to have a thick plot armor because it's the main Pokemon of the franchise (It's even worse in the manga, it did has some miracles too), Charizard is just row power and fan-favorite. But i find Bulbasaur is underrated because it has incredible achievements in his base, unevolved form.

The poor one is Squirtle, neither in anime nor the manga had its moments. Really, it wasn't special anywhere.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yuzukko - Oct 2, 2013

176 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:32 AM

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HiyuuT - Oct 2, 2013

131 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 28, 2023 10:17 AM

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 3 Discussion

Jialyn - Oct 2, 2013

49 by Nerdason »»
Nov 1, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

belatkuro - Oct 2, 2013

102 by Nerdason »»
Oct 31, 2023 4:07 PM

» End Theme

jawsome274 - Apr 18, 2020

0 by jawsome274 »»
Apr 18, 2020 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.