Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 3, 2016 10:02 AM

Nov 2015
Bonus Question: What do you think MAL does best?

Personally, I use this site mainly to stalk people. Specifically, the waifu material type. I seek them, and then I stalk them. Because, why talk when you can stalk? People are more interesting when they're not talking to you anyways. Very few, like me, are those whose ideas are more interesting than their behavior. But oh well.. I shouldn't indulge in my narcissism so soon.

The comment feature of MAL is quite a splendid thing. Don't know how many times I've lamented the PM function because there are way too many interesting people out there who are having their conversations through PMs alone and that's boring. The good ol' days of Chat Clubs are gone now too so nothing is out for me to just look at and admire anymore. This is why the entertainment value of MAL is dropping exponentially for me. So, here's my plea: Kindly have your conversations through your comments.

Anyways, to not digress any further, I think what MAL does best is the community part. The list feature may have been a serendipitous discovery for most of us but what makes MAL click is how well it brings together weirdos from all over the world. All the depressed, introverted, anxiety-stricken, folks are gathered here. There's other variety too; but that variety makes itself too apparent so I don't feel the need to mention them (don't conjecture that I'm primarily interested in either). If taken for its anime-related conveniences only, MAL would make a good app at best, not a site nor a forum. This is why I think MAL should promote changes which further turn it into a dating site. We'll have our own little neighborhood of heartbroken incisorrs and lovesick Crzy_Minuses and alpha 21s -- won't that be great?!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 3, 2016 10:05 AM

Dec 2015
I think the forums are hopeless (read: sexist people on AD), but the way MAL lists anime is something I cannot help but love. Listing anime was its primary function, and it still should be.
Nov 3, 2016 10:12 AM

Aug 2015
my primary usage of mal is to read posts that not only make me laugh but also feel better about myself, for example this
Nov 3, 2016 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
I do use the actual site to store my anime/manga, it's quite useful. But I also shit post on the forums often.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Nov 3, 2016 10:18 AM

Jul 2009
Forum games, shitposting, improving Photoshop skills, triggering others in their profile, etc. Basically anything but recording anime/manga, which takes last priority.
Nov 3, 2016 10:23 AM

Aug 2012
My prime usage is just to spam and talk shit in clubs, since forums have restrictions. I also use the comments section quite alot, too. And ok, I'll keep all my convos in my profile for you to read before bed time. My replies are topnotch, If I may say so myself.

I thought MAL was already a dating site?!
Nov 3, 2016 10:26 AM

Jun 2015
hmm I think I mainly use it to talk/meet new people ^_^
Nov 3, 2016 10:27 AM

Sep 2016
Spend time of my life cause I do not have any
Nov 3, 2016 10:34 AM

Oct 2014
I use myanimelist as my anime list xD Simple.
Nov 3, 2016 10:36 AM

Aug 2016
uh yeah I use it to track my anime, bc I often go on binge sprees where I watch 3-4 shows in like 2 days and It helps me remember what I watched.

But. I also love doing the forums thing on here, the weirdos make my day.

I'd say it's about 50/50 with keeping track of what I watch and forums.
Nov 3, 2016 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
I think the forums are hopeless (read: dumb feminist on AD), but the way MAL lists anime is something I cannot help but love. Listing anime was its primary function, and it still should be.

It actually works pretty well for me XD and I only changed one thing.

TBH I actually like talking to people mostly so comment section.
Nov 3, 2016 10:38 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I use the forum to have people to answer my random questions when my parents are overwhelmed and my comrades in classroom tell me to shut the fuck up.
And to stalk few girls, that is.
Also to list anime but I don't ever finish them so whatever...

Nov 3, 2016 10:43 AM

Sep 2014
Mainly to keep on track with anime/manga and participate in episode/chapter discussions.
Nov 3, 2016 10:44 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Filling my imoutos' loli holes with warm, sticky cream whenever possible
Nov 3, 2016 10:45 AM

Oct 2007
I don't enjoy the social side of MAL at all. I had a lot of fun talking to people up until 2010-ish, but now I don't like it. I've even turned off my comments on my profile, something which has never lasted more than a couple of days before.

I love MAL's database, the anime/manga page layout, and the list CSS function. MAL definitely has the best and easiest to use database and I believe its the site's best feature.
Nov 3, 2016 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
I use it to look up more manga and talk to some randoms.
Nov 3, 2016 10:53 AM

Nov 2015
Kuromii said:
I don't enjoy the social side of MAL at all. I had a lot of fun talking to people up until 2010-ish, but now I don't like it. I've even turned off my comments on my profile, something which has never lasted more than a couple of days before.

I love MAL's database, the anime/manga page layout, and the list CSS function. MAL definitely has the best and easiest to use database and I believe its the site's best feature.

Why do you not like talking to people now?
Waifu_Material said:
my primary usage of mal is to read posts that not only make me laugh but also feel better about myself, for example this

Are you referring to your own post?

Yarub said:

I thought MAL was already a dating site?!

It's nearly there. It only needs to implement a relationship status feature and, if possible, then 'personality compatibility' feature too which would be judged by a person's favorite characters.
Nov 3, 2016 10:56 AM

Apr 2015
My time on MAL is mostly counterproductive.

"Oh hey, look at all these anime that look cool. I could be watching them but instead I'm on here arguing with a troll who says the age of consent should be lowered to 8."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 3, 2016 11:07 AM

Oct 2007
@Trance very few people seem to enjoy holding a conversation anymore. Its all "lol" and "kek" and "mfw". Also sometimes I just wanna talk about anime but apparently thats a no-go on here, an anime site.
Nov 3, 2016 11:12 AM

Oct 2015
Trance said:

Personally, I use this site mainly to stalk people. Specifically, the waifu material type. I seek them, and then I stalk them.

Meaning, all girls you can find :p

I use the forum to post thoughts (But since I'm a lazy-ass, I tend to avoid the ones with too much to read) and to chat with people ;)
Oh and also to keep up with what mangas I read and animes I watch o:
Nov 3, 2016 11:12 AM

Nov 2015
Kuromii said:
@Trance very few people seem to enjoy holding a conversation anymore. Its all "lol" and "kek" and "mfw". Also sometimes I just wanna talk about anime but apparently thats a no-go on here, an anime site.

mfw someone wants to talk about animu

mfw kuromii doesn't understand that MAL is for dating
CatSoul said:

"Oh hey, look at all these anime that look cool. I could be watching them but instead I'm on here arguing with a troll who says the age of consent should be lowered to 8."

Relatable.

Nyarlathothep said:
Trance said:

Personally, I use this site mainly to stalk people. Specifically, the waifu material type. I seek them, and then I stalk them.

I use the forum to post thoughts (But since I'm a lazy-ass, I tend to avoid the ones with too much to read) and to chat with people ;)

No, I actually have standards. And 95% of them don't meet them.
Nov 3, 2016 11:15 AM

Oct 2015
Trance said:
Nyarlathothep said:

Lol Ain't you picky :p (I can relate ^^)
Nov 3, 2016 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
It started out as a way to track anime and find new anime, though now I like interacting with other users on the forums.
Nov 3, 2016 11:19 AM

Nov 2015
literally-who said:
Trance said:
People are more interesting when they're not talking to you anyways
yeah you are a pretty boring guy

cant even dunk

seems like your daddy problems are going away that you are on this site again

you're just jealous of my phat ass
Nov 3, 2016 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
I am almost always posting on the forums, since they are great for intellectual debates.
Nov 3, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2016
I hang around the CD board in hopes of finding topics that encourage conversing like normal civilised people, quite frankly that happens once in a blue moon.Another potential pleasant side effect of this is that I occasionally find people with whom I can have a civil conversation with.

I'm also incredibly abominable and a sucker for grammar, therefore I get a weird sense of masochistic pleasure from finding people butchering the English language in posts because I revel in others' incompetence and misery.
Erg_OrgyNov 3, 2016 11:46 AM
Nov 3, 2016 12:08 PM

Jan 2016
I use MAL to keep track of the anime I watch and to use the casual discussion forum.
You are now breathing manually.
Nov 3, 2016 12:11 PM

Aug 2013
I'm mostly here to interact with friends and meet interesting people.
Nov 3, 2016 12:18 PM
Sep 2015
so I can take a break from my lonely lifestyle, from time to time.
To meet fellow nerds on here, since my rl friends despise animanga :(
I also use it to keep track on my anime watching.
But I mainly lurk between Casuals and Games ;)
YuckydiyuckNov 3, 2016 12:23 PM
Nov 3, 2016 12:20 PM

Jun 2015
I use it primary for writing reviews and keeping track of how much anime and manga I have watched/read.
But every now and then I interact with the fourm.
Nov 3, 2016 12:47 PM

Oct 2010
The list function, procrastinating on the forums instead of doing things I'm supposed to be doing, and harassing having friendly conversations with @DejWo.
Nov 3, 2016 12:49 PM

Jan 2013
Browse forums 90% of the time and get depressed when theres no good threads to reply to
Nov 3, 2016 12:50 PM

Oct 2015
Talk in forums and TRY to make friends
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Nov 3, 2016 12:58 PM

Mar 2016
Reading interesting threads. There are not that many of them out here, but they still exist.

MAL as dating site?
Am I missing something? Are really that many people here for this reason?
If MAL is precieved as dating site, than if people with same interest gather in one room makes it also a group date? (ofc when there are singles for each sex :P)
XeutronNov 3, 2016 1:02 PM
Nov 3, 2016 1:19 PM

Nov 2015
Usagi said:
The list function, procrastinating on the forums instead of doing things I'm supposed to be doing, and harassing having friendly conversations with @DejWo.

That last part is a little suspicious. Don't you know how many people are after dej? Leave him alone.
Xeutron said:
Reading interesting threads. There are not that many of them out here, but they still exist.

MAL as dating site?
Am I missing something? Are really that many people here for this reason?
If MAL is precieved as dating site, than if people with same interest gather in one room makes it also a group date? (ofc when there are singles for each sex :P)

They may not admit it openly but it becomes quite apparent from their behavior. And yes to the group date. We are all group dating each other.
Nov 3, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2007
I come to the forum to kill time when I'm not busy. I do get some big laughs reading through some of the threads here. Some of the stuff that gets posted is seriously crazy.
Nov 3, 2016 3:39 PM

Jun 2013
i use it to track the anime/manga that i complete and to find randoms from the forums to stalk occasionally.
Nov 3, 2016 3:44 PM

Jun 2016
To keep track of what I watched/haven't watched and to look for new animes.
Nov 3, 2016 4:18 PM

Sep 2016
To keep track of shows mostly, but i've started to just come here in forums and kill time.
Nov 3, 2016 4:27 PM

May 2016
Trance said:
Kuromii said:

mfw someone wants to talk about animu

mfw kuromii doesn't understand that MAL is for dating
CatSoul said:

Relatable.

Nyarlathothep said:

Wait, what? One in every twenty women meet your standards? Damn, you must have some really low standards. I mean, of course there are the types who'll go after anyone, but I'd say one in twenty is more than most normal people would find meet their standards.

OT: I used to use it as an anime list. Now I mostly just browse the forums looking for a good place to get into a debate and try to see others' points of view. Although there is an unfortunate amount of stupidity present, as with all facets of society (any society), I still find people with whom I can have decent conversations.
"Shocking truth!" ~Chaika Trabant
"How unpleasant." ~Kuriyama Mirai
"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there." ~Rem
"You don't die for your friends; you live for them." ~Misaka Mikoto
"Now I believe. In my own strength... and in the one who gave me that strength." ~Roze
"I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams."
Signature and forum avatar courtesy of @SenpieX
Nov 3, 2016 6:08 PM

Feb 2016
I use the site for its primary function: to keep track of the anime I watch. But I also drop by the CD forums or just interact with others on my profile.
Nov 3, 2016 6:34 PM

Jul 2015
I use it as a dating site, and sadly I have to say it sucks.
Nov 3, 2016 6:37 PM

Mar 2016
Nowadays mostly to keep track of my anime and manga and to skim through the CD and AD forums for a quick chuckle. I post every once in a while. Used to participate in several RP clubs in MAL back when I started. Not the case anymore.
Nov 3, 2016 6:39 PM

Feb 2015
Clebardman said:

I'm very offended I'll have you know

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven

Nov 3, 2016 6:39 PM

Aug 2013
To waste away all my time and life. I guess Mal is good for listing anime, can't find any other positives for it. Community is the worst part of Mal for me.
Nov 3, 2016 6:40 PM

Jul 2015
Whoremoans said:
Clebardman said:

That's what you say in public, but I still haven't got even a feet pic.
Nov 3, 2016 6:41 PM

Feb 2015
Clebardman said:
Whoremoans said:

That's what you say in public, but I still haven't got even a feet pic.

I only give feet when I get them, you should know this about me by now </3

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven

Nov 3, 2016 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
doing what I want when I want where I want because I feel like it
Nov 3, 2016 7:49 PM
Apr 2014
Trance said:
Usagi said:
That last part is a little suspicious. Don't you know how many people are after dej? Leave him alone.
Poor dej. Almost everyone on the Discord channel is after his dick.
Nov 3, 2016 7:53 PM
Mar 2015
To waste time and to try and find an anime/manga that is really interesting.
I don't have time to watch anime or read manga anymore because of work. If I start watching/reading them and take a break (because of work) I end up losing interest in the series unless it is very good.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 8 hours ago

7 by TibetanJazz666 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Yesterday

12 by Lightskynight »»
14 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - 4 hours ago

6 by LoveYourEyes »»
33 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 3 hours ago

6 by PostMahouShoujo »»
1 hour ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

54 by Meusnier »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.