Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people hate fan-service when done right?

New
Nov 3, 2016 9:52 AM
Nov 2014
First i want to say that i`m not talking about those boring beach/onsen episodes that they only purpose is to show the female cast in swimsuits or naked, or those ecchi anime with no plot, i'm talking about the shows that use it to help the plot or only because it`s make sense, for example in episode 9 of konosuba darkness is naked in the hole episode, but i cuoldn`t care less since i was laughing every second, or in one episode of black lagoon (i don´t remember wich one) there were hookers in topless, but thats a logical thing. An anime is not better for having fan service but it`s not worst if it happen to have it in a no boring way.
i believe that the people who say a show is bad only for having FS are even worst that the one who only watched ecchi series.
I would like to add that in real live series like GoT no one say that the show is shit only because it has sex sence, since it`s done for plot purposes
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 3, 2016 9:56 AM

Feb 2013
>tfw to smart for fan service
i only watch mature anime with no fan service for mature people such as myself
too bad most anime nowadays is full of loli moe ecchi harem because thats what sells to them filthy otakus.. anime was a mistake
Nov 3, 2016 10:00 AM
Feb 2015
Because there is no such thing as fanservice done right?
Nov 3, 2016 10:02 AM

Jul 2009
Because people get easily triggered by slight nudity
Nov 3, 2016 10:04 AM

Aug 2014
I guess fanservice is just too deep for you. Why don't you go watch some pleb anime like Serial Experiments Lain or smth instead of complaining about things that are just too hard for you to understand.
Nov 3, 2016 10:08 AM
Sep 2015
Because what you describe is not fanservice. Fanservice is when the writers go out of their way to give us a panty shot/ boob shot etc. which in no way or form is significant to the plot. They are just doing it to appease the sex hungry primarily male audience. On the other hand, scenes with naked people as in Black Lagoon or other anime that have some bearing on the story itself do not qualify as fanservice. They are a part of the plot or in the case of Black Lagoon part of the enviroment.

Fanservice "done right" is still fanservice and "done right" may have a different meaning depending on whom you ask.
Nov 3, 2016 10:22 AM

Feb 2015
People hate it when it was done wrong, they still hate it when it was done right, the bottom line is the fact that IT IS FANSERVICE...

demonskul777 said:
I guess fanservice is just too deep for you. Why don't you go watch some pleb anime like Serial Experiments Lain or smth instead of complaining about things that are just too hard for you to understand.

Ecchi Elitist, you've done it right... where's Mamster? Summon the dude...
Nov 3, 2016 10:26 AM

Sep 2014
Because right is subjective. Left is not

Nov 3, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2014
Probably due to the commonly held misconception that objectification is inherent to sexualization, when this is not the case. A character can still look appealing to the male or female audience while being well written and/or empowered. Look at Ryuuko from KLK, she's a great example.
Take care of yourself

Nov 3, 2016 10:35 AM

Aug 2014
_Ako_ said:
People hate it when it was done wrong, they still hate it when it was done right, the bottom line is the fact that IT IS FANSERVICE...

demonskul777 said:

I can only summon Mamster if I draw all five cards of the Forbidden One:
Left Boob
Right boob
Left buttock
Right buttock
A very cute, extraverted personality

:(
Nov 3, 2016 10:35 AM
Nov 2014
Zaheezy said:
Because there is no such thing as fanservice done right?

i put two examples and i could put a few more
Nov 3, 2016 10:37 AM
Nov 2014
volt16 said:
Because what you describe is not fanservice. Fanservice is when the writers go out of their way to give us a panty shot/ boob shot etc. which in no way or form is significant to the plot. They are just doing it to appease the sex hungry primarily male audience. On the other hand, scenes with naked people as in Black Lagoon or other anime that have some bearing on the story itself do not qualify as fanservice. They are a part of the plot or in the case of Black Lagoon part of the enviroment.

Fanservice "done right" is still fanservice and "done right" may have a different meaning depending on whom you ask.

i didnt how to say it, but even if it`s not fanservice people complain all the time
Nov 3, 2016 10:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I reckon people have different ideas of what "done right" is supposed to mean?

But yeah I guess the most general answer would be that fanservice is fine as long as it does not 1) needlessly degrade the characters, 2) come off as extremely forced or even unrealistic, or 3) try to use its story as some sort of excuse to justify the presence of its fanservice; if you already know everyone is watching the show for the ecchi anyway then you shouldn't need to include a bunch of other stuff just to have some excuse in case the SJWs come after you

Other than that it's fine I'd say
Nov 3, 2016 10:41 AM

Sep 2016
Because people aren't happy if they aren't complaining about something.

Nov 3, 2016 10:41 AM
Nov 2014
Because you are a sexist for liking objectified imaginary women.
Nov 3, 2016 10:44 AM

Oct 2015
Keijo does fan service right.

So does Flip Flappers.
Nov 3, 2016 10:50 AM

Aug 2016
I have no idea what this topic was about I honestly couldn't be bothered to read the entire post, all I saw was fanservice. And that's all I needed. I love fanservice, it's a gift from the anime gods. All should revere in its greatness. There is no way to do fanservice in a bad way, for it is the truest of any art form. I am humbled by the amount of fanservice in the anime industry. I think that--no...I HOPE that one day, fanservice will be spread across the globe, and all will know of its beauty. Children will study it, scholars will archive it. Yes, that is the future.
Nov 3, 2016 11:01 AM

Jul 2014
But how often is fanservice done right? Most of it feels thrown in to keep our attention. Keijo does it right but that's a rarity by itself.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Nov 3, 2016 11:03 AM

Oct 2016
Tiddy is never done wrong so the concept of fan service done wrong is 100% foreign to me. Sorry.
Nov 3, 2016 11:05 AM

Mar 2012
HaXXspetten said:
3) try to use its story as some sort of excuse to justify the presence of its fanservice; if you already know everyone is watching the show for the ecchi anyway then you shouldn't need to include a bunch of other stuff just to have some excuse in case the SJWs come after you

this especially. so annoying when people have to put up ten walls of deflection
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Nov 3, 2016 11:11 AM

Oct 2015
HaXXspetten said:
3) try to use its story as some sort of excuse to justify the presence of its fanservice; if you already know everyone is watching the show for the ecchi anyway then you shouldn't need to include a bunch of other stuff just to have some excuse in case the SJWs come after you

Kill la Kill fanbase in a nutshell right there.
Nov 3, 2016 11:12 AM
Oct 2015
Because of moral offense no matter it's done right or failed. Not sure though. Just an opinion
jeninNov 3, 2016 12:10 PM
Nov 3, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2015
Because it is never done right. Give me one good example of fanservice that isn't sexist.
Nov 3, 2016 11:16 AM

Aug 2012
Is it even fan service if it's not gratuitous though?
Nov 3, 2016 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
Fanservice done right? Fanservice is always done right. It's just that fanservice doesn't add to a story, and sometimes even detracts from it.
Nov 3, 2016 11:23 AM
Nov 2014
CherryLover said:
Because it is never done right. Give me one good example of fanservice that isn't sexist.

i already put two examples in the post
Nov 3, 2016 11:30 AM

Dec 2015
elnikok said:
CherryLover said:

Kono Suba is a bad show that is blatantly sexist, as I've already repeated dozens of times in the subforum. Your examples are invalid.
Nov 3, 2016 1:42 PM
Nov 2014
CherryLover said:
elnikok said:

Kono Suba is a bad show that is blatantly sexist, as I've already repeated dozens of times in the subforum. Your examples are invalid.

i`m very tired of feminist, i always feel like i`m talking to wall
Nov 3, 2016 1:46 PM

Aug 2014
elnikok said:
CherryLover said:

i`m very tired of feminist, i always feel like i`m talking to wall

This feminist probably also feels like she's talking to a wall. She didn't agree with your examples, now you have to either proof they are correct or provide an example that she will agree with.
Nov 3, 2016 1:48 PM

Sep 2012
CherryLover said:
elnikok said:

Oh god not again....
@demonskul777
@elnikok

Please don't feed the troll.

Sooo what side are we talking about OP?
>done right.
>opinions
Fun.
Nov 3, 2016 1:51 PM

Aug 2014
sasalx said:
CherryLover said:

Oh god not again....
@demonskul777
@elnikok

Please don't feed the troll.

Sooo what side are we talking about OP?
>done right.
>opinions
Fun.

lol I guess I shouldn't. But I like seeing heated discussions. :(
Nov 3, 2016 2:02 PM

Feb 2015
CherryLover said:

"How to please every anime viewer in the world"

- Unknown random dude

demonskul777 said:
_Ako_ said:

I can only summon Mamster if I draw all five cards of the Forbidden One:
Left Boob
Right boob
Left buttock
Right buttock
A very cute, extraverted personality

:(

Dude, post one pic of Mai-senpai... He'll be here faster than you fapping...
Nov 3, 2016 2:03 PM

May 2016
See, people love tits.
Reasonable, since why wouldn't you love tits.

Except, once they actually get the tits they asked for, even if just drawn, they'll feel shameful and disgusting and they'll try to ban boobage of any kind from existence.
Also, it's not intellectual, and yes, all of us on MAL are such intelligent wonderful creatures, hope for human kind and not trash at all. We're above fapping to pirated doujins (except when we aren't).

And honestly, if somebody says that girls can't enjoy fanservice anime, well, I do have some friends, and hey, some of them happen to be girls, weirdly.
From experience, my anime go-to for having fun while drinking is Monster Musume.
It just works.
Nov 3, 2016 2:03 PM

Sep 2016
Nov 3, 2016 2:09 PM
Oct 2016
Only straight women don't like it, it doesn't turn them on like it does you.
Nov 3, 2016 2:10 PM

Sep 2015
CherryLover said:

You mean, most forms of fanservice that aren't sexually oriented? Because, you know, there's far more to fanservice than just throwing female boobs or male abs at the viewer.

OT : Define 'done right'. Having scantily-clad characters does not immediately mean it is fanservice. If it's relevant to the plot, scene, etc then it cannot be fanservice, unless it is specifically used in a certain manner. A large portion of Kill la Kill has some very good plot reasons for the characters to be scantily clad (stop the armours taking over their body by reducing surface area) or outright naked (all the mostly male members of the Nudist Beach organisation) but that doesn't mean we don't get tittilating angles throughout. The gif of Ryuko adjusting her straps and having her boobs bounce up and down comes to mind.

It's all down to how it is used. KlK has some scenes that are obviously designed to appeal to the viewers on a more base level, but at the same time it has plenty of decent reasons for the characters to dress how they do.

To address the Black Lagoon example - showing us topless hookers isn't really fanservice if the characters are in a brothel / shady part of town where that sort of business runs rampant. I really can't get around this notion that showing skin or having sex in a story is immediately fanservice. It's all about how it is used.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 3, 2016 2:11 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
"done right" my ass

the ONLY THING i need to know if ecchi is "done right" is my boner and my urge to fap
Nov 3, 2016 2:23 PM

Feb 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
"done right" my ass

the ONLY THING i need to know if ecchi is "done right" is my boner and my urge to fap

That's the signal to you dude... But... What about to other butthurt viewers?
Nov 3, 2016 2:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
_Ako_ said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
"done right" my ass

i couldn't tell you what "done right" means for a person who isn't attracted to anime girls or just doesn't want to fap to them

fanservice is done right when ppl are turned on by it... i don't see any other way
Nov 3, 2016 2:34 PM

Sep 2016
volt16 said:

Exactly, the term "Fan Service" itself implies that it's something cheaply done for nothing more than eye candy. It's like saying "What's wrong with cheap laughs when done right?", it's a negative term out the gate.
Nov 3, 2016 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
As far as I'm concerned, if it's fan service, it can't be done right.

That's the whole point. It's service. If it actually pertains to the plot it's no longer service. This is especially true for ecchi. If it's relevant, it's not really ecchi anymore, it's just a regular sensual or erotic scene.

Many anime and manga have nudity but don't fall into the ecchi "genre."
Berserk isn't ecchi. But Übel Blatt is. The differences are pretty obvious, even within similar works.

Anyway, sexual fan service is there to grab you by the balls. No more, no less. And man, it works...
Nov 3, 2016 2:52 PM

Feb 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
_Ako_ said:

i couldn't tell you what "done right" means for a person who isn't attracted to anime girls or just doesn't want to fap to them

fanservice is done right when ppl are turned on by it... i don't see any other way

Lol... To be honest, different viewers have different perspective on how something is "done right". But in terms of fanservice, I'd agree on what you said.

Wensbane said:

Due to the fact that, they just gets butthurt too easily... If they don't like it why bother watching it from the start? If the see constant fanservice, why don't doubt the series? Ultimately, it's how you view a series, not just if the fanservice is executed right or wrong.
Nov 3, 2016 3:00 PM

May 2010
Because your definition of fanservice done right and mine is different. I don't remember that black lagoon scene but it doesn't even sound like fanservice
Nov 3, 2016 5:25 PM

Sep 2016
I like fan-service they give rise to many good things, but also many bad things is like a scale that is equivalent.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Nov 3, 2016 5:28 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Wensbane said:

That's the whole point. It's service. If it actually pertains to the plot it's no longer service. This is especially true for ecchi. If it's relevant, it's not really ecchi anymore, it's just a regular sensual or erotic scene.

Many anime and manga have nudity but don't fall into the ecchi "genre."
Berserk isn't ecchi. But Übel Blatt is. The differences are pretty obvious, even within similar works.

Anyway, sexual fan service is there to grab you by the balls. No more, no less. And man, it works...

i just fucking lol'd irl at your tag... you finally did it man xD
Nov 3, 2016 5:41 PM

Jan 2015
Most important thing is good is subjective. Though I agree with your example from Black Lagoon, because the environment made sense for them to be dressed like that.
Nov 3, 2016 5:51 PM

Sep 2014
Just a tiny spoiler from Berserk, but this is fan-service done right.
Nov 3, 2016 5:52 PM

Mar 2016
Fanservice = fan + service. . . What do you mean by story/plot purposes?
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Nov 3, 2016 5:54 PM

Aug 2012
Goku said:

How the fuck is that fan service?

*Filler cause MAL is annoying*
Nov 3, 2016 5:56 PM

Sep 2014
FrancWyvern said:
Goku said:

How the fuck is that fan service?

*Filler cause MAL is annoying*

All I'm saying is Donovan got some cheeks. No homo though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

195 by TitanOfPlasma »»
7 seconds ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 3 minutes ago

0 by Cyborgium »»
3 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

20 by ScarRufus »»
6 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

58 by Vendicator »»
7 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

16 by Vendicator »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.