Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 3, 2016 6:52 PM
Sep 2013
Man.. I'm loving this series!
Nov 3, 2016 7:21 PM

Jun 2015
There we go, this is the kind of episode I was waiting for lol. Figured after I saw that creepy ass painting in episode 2 there'd be some content like this.

Not particularly scary for a horror buff like myself, but I still loved the atmosphere and the vibe as well as Cocona and Papika's bonding moments. Yayaka also shows her own softie side saving the two of them when the clock tower breaks down. Kind of saw that coming at the end since she obviously likes Cocona :P Good stuff!
Nov 3, 2016 7:49 PM

Aug 2015
So is there any reason why Papika couldn't say Flip Flapping correctly? Like being to panicked?
Nov 3, 2016 9:28 PM

Apr 2013
And I was gonna go to sleep after watching this... qrE3TInqs.
The first time (especially) they turned around made me really uneasy.

Nov 3, 2016 10:33 PM

Oct 2016
this show keeps geting better and better..but demn that doll si creepy :v
Nov 3, 2016 11:17 PM

Feb 2015
A more serious episode with a real structure, the only thing is, why are they collecting the gems? why all this started?
Nov 3, 2016 11:41 PM

Sep 2015
Well I got my Halloween scare, a bit late, but I was dealing with the mansion. Anyway, this episode got progressively more creepy as it went on. Those distorted qrE3TInqs were just frightful.
Nov 4, 2016 12:50 AM

Feb 2016
I found these. Some guy named Zzzs made them.

Jaguar-chanNov 4, 2016 1:01 AM
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Nov 4, 2016 12:59 AM

Feb 2016
Jaguar-chan said:
I found these. Some guy named Zzzs made them.

Here's the pics without the player bars at the bottom. The pics now have weird centering though.

"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Nov 4, 2016 1:09 AM

Feb 2015
DAMN dude. i just love the fantasy element in this anime so much. and moreover the horror stuff lol in this episode. that was actually pretty scary imo xD

and i bet there is one more girl like them. i saw it in the op sequence. and probably she will make her appearence in the next episode. just gonna be honest, this anime is getting better each week.
Nov 4, 2016 3:04 AM

Sep 2015

Man this show is so good at visual storytelling. Each episode is a wonderful fairy tale-like short story in of itself and it shows in this episode, from the eerie vibes that blanketed this entire episode to its classic cartoonish comedy. This could also be considered "Subtext: The Anime" with how they're expressing this show's themes of 'adolescent sexuality' and 'finding your own identity'. Flip Flappers has a chance of being one of the best anime from this year, but even if it isn't it will be by far the most creative.

Like the nod towards The Shining here

Nov 4, 2016 3:54 AM

May 2010
Watched this last midnight, didn't expect a creepy episode.
Nu~be, heeelp!
Nov 4, 2016 5:05 AM

Jan 2016
spooky episode is spooky. i dont really get this roboter Buu-chan, he doesnt seem very usefull at all lol
Nov 4, 2016 5:28 AM

Jun 2013
Greetings madafaka!!
Nov 4, 2016 8:09 AM

Sep 2009
I'm liking this more and more, especially with the mystery surrounding the fragments.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Nov 4, 2016 11:20 AM

Dec 2012
Entertaining from start to finish.

And creepy as well. Mad props for being anime original, I can't praise this enough.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Nov 4, 2016 11:30 AM

Jul 2015
_Kairu_ said:
So is there any reason why Papika couldn't say Flip Flapping correctly? Like being to panicked?

Keep your voice down, Papika is obviously a special kid.

This episode had way better horror elements than all the other "horror" anime I've seen btw.
Nov 4, 2016 12:48 PM
Nov 2013
oh my god, I cant believe everybody is saying how creepy the gokigenyou-ing faceless girls were, but nobody is talking about that freaking doll?!?!?!
That was creepy as HELL man, scarred for life lol
On another note, I feel like this show is getting more and more interesting. It really caught be by surprise by how good it is, definitely deserves more attention.

oh. and.
those transformations are godly <3
Nov 4, 2016 1:16 PM

Nov 2014
this episode was pretty hot. I really want Papika and Cocona get on with it already

...like that's ever gonna happen : (
Nov 4, 2016 1:30 PM

Dec 2015
Really cool episode.
It started off with a creepy horror setting and at some point (?) switched over into a giant battle and suddenly I was getting some serious Madoka Magica vibe from that final scene.
Nov 4, 2016 2:10 PM

Oct 2011
Those girls are scary. Damn.

Best episode so far.
Nov 4, 2016 4:24 PM

Jan 2013
Tiemuuu said:
this episode was pretty hot. I really want Papika and Cocona get on with it already

It's like you missed the point of the faceless girls.
TitanAnteusNov 4, 2016 4:40 PM
Nov 4, 2016 4:41 PM

Jun 2014
Why did that doll close his eyes at the end? Urgh that was sooooo creepy... I didn't expect an horror story but it was really good though...
Nov 4, 2016 5:06 PM

Aug 2012
-They seem to have skipped ahead in the narrative a bit, enough for 2 more encounters with Team Yayaka. Seems like we missed a mecha Illusion and a Jack-and-the-Beanstalk Illusion.
-Papika scaring the shit out of Cocona was great
-Jesus fucking christ these genre shifts are an adventure
-There is no way that blood-looking liquid when they went to the roof was a good thing
-Those first 7 minutes were pretty great actually
-Seems like those faceless whatever the fuck those were are just inhabitants of this Pure Illusion
-wow lewd fingerplay
-jesus fucking christ that fucking doll is fucking creepy
-hell no hell fucking no that fuckin thing turned its head while they were asleep
-is papika gonna suck cocona off every day now
-dam papika's really goin in on that finger by the third day
-I didn't think I would be so into this type of Pure Illusion but I'm actually loving it
-Did they really sneak a Shining reference in there with the twins in the hallway
-The ascent of the clock tower was pretty fun to watch, and it was also pretty aesthetically impressive.

This episode was miles ahead of Episode 4, and it was just as enjoyable as the best moments of the series prior to this episode. I actually really liked the almost complete genre shift that happened in this episode, and I happened to think it was executed well. The utter contrast that existed between this episode's color scheme and the color schemes of the previous Pure Illusions only served to make this episode stand out more. I had a feeling that something wasn't right when they started reusing animation frames but the reason ended up being a plot point. I also liked the general feeling that something is wrong that the show continues to have, especially with pink hair's statement that Team Yayaka was "built" differently from team Papika, and the whole blood rain thing when they got on the roof of the mirror school.

Really cool episode, it gives episode 3 a run for its money.
Nov 4, 2016 7:11 PM

Mar 2014
nice we will get to know what those crystals are in the upcoming eps.
Nov 4, 2016 11:06 PM

Jan 2013
Thai777 said:
Why did that doll close his eyes at the end? Urgh that was sooooo creepy... I didn't expect an horror story but it was really good though...

That doll represented the viewer. It's eyes were on the girls and it meant that they were being watched. When its eyes closed the show ended.

The whole point of this episode was to make fun of how girl's love is generally seen in society. It's cute and pure but all superficial. It never goes past being about the girls taking showers together or one sucking the others finger, because the day resets.

The way I see it, it's kind of making fun of the people who see yuri in everything, and where their desires are in relation to the world. It's why the doll is drawn so ugly in my opinion and doesn't fit in with the room.
Nov 5, 2016 5:01 AM

Jul 2007
TitanAnteus said:
Thai777 said:

That doll represented the viewer. It's eyes were on the girls and it meant that they were being watched. When its eyes closed the show ended.

The whole point of this episode was to make fun of how girl's love is generally seen in society. It's cute and pure but all superficial. It never goes past being about the girls taking showers together or one sucking the others finger, because the day resets.

The way I see it, it's kind of making fun of the people who see yuri in everything, and where their desires are in relation to the world. It's why the doll is drawn so ugly in my opinion and doesn't fit in with the room.

Now that's a homophobic post if I ever saw one. Nobody "sees yuri i n everything". People see the relationships the way they are. Some people are limited to homophobic and hetero-normative world view trained to only see straight relationships and ignore certain things unless for self-titilation. Others have a wider comprehension and do not ignore interactions based on the fact that they are between same gender understanding that romantic interactions are romantic interactions - they do not change just because gender changes. If you genuinely think that the MEANING of interactions changes depending on if they happen between same gender or opposite genders, then that is a problem with you.

The doll represents the otaku viewers who enjoy the ambiguous class S yuri stories because the actual yuri never progresses. They can still identify the characters as "straight but experimenting" and stories end without actual textual confirmation of them being actual lesbians so the otaku viewers can pretend they went on to birth babies. Class S originally was means to escape media censorship in terms of portrayal of LGBT romances, but since then has been twisted into a marketing technique for straight male and fujoshi titillation, spawning thousands of tropes and narratives that bait but never deliver because that appeals to the certain audience(ex: Euphonium). Hence why the doll is represented as a creep, observing the never-ending loop, stalking those stuck in it. The Doll is literally the embodiment of male gaze and objectification.

The whole world int his represents being unable to escape status quo and to actually openly face your sexual identity. Its a loop of subtextual interactions and queerbaiting that is not allowed to progress to actual relationships. And its a world designed to hide that fact and that futility and bait lgbt communities into expecting it to happen. And since Cocona and Papika transcend that and escape that, the generic otaku stand in loses interest because they are no longer "pure" for this fantasy. Its essentially same message as Yuri Kuma Arashi - a critique of Japanese media for LGBT erasure, censorship and blatant queerbaiting in form of fanservice for otaku.

Tiemuuu said:

That's where this is leading?

This episode pretty much condemned queerbaiting in anime. It was a critique of countless identical works that bait and bait and never get anywhere. It would be pretty hypocritical to give a non-conclusion to their relationship then.

Instead of being locked in a loop of countless works with relationships designed to never escape beyond subtext and being reset before textual confirmation, Cocona and Papika escape that and break the loop. In result of that, Cocona and Papika attained something together that Cocona does not want to give up and that Yayaka implies will be tested by realities of the world. The message seems to be obvious.
AhenshihaelNov 5, 2016 5:16 AM
Nov 5, 2016 6:54 AM

Nov 2015
The episode was really cool. I liked the horror atmosphere.

Nov 5, 2016 7:51 AM

Jun 2016
the world was super scary!

ALSO WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO KISS
THE SMITHS ARE THE BEST BAND
Nov 5, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2009
Atlas77 said:
A more serious episode with a real structure, the only thing is, why are they collecting the gems? why all this started?

Well, these gems seem good enough to bring about world domination.
Also, it seems that the greater the wish, the more gems you need. Or maybe gathering all the gems is what harnesses all the world's power of dreams, leaving the other people unable to resist.

Thai777 said:
Why did that doll close his eyes at the end?

Because it was finally freed from that world, and could get a rest?
I really feel that TitanAnteus and Fai went overboard with their analysis.

_Kairu_ said:

Maybe she can't finish saying it when she is not in the right frame of mind for the spell to work? Unlike Cocona, Papika is very direct.

TragicRomance said:
I am starting to think that Yayaka's organization is the 'good' one while the one Cocona and Papika are working for is the bad one.

1) Well, wholly evil organizations probably can't get a teenage girl as resolute as Yayaka.
2) Good organizations don't call their goals "world domination".
3) In the end, no, it's never a good idea to take over the world, even if your intentions are good. The world is too diverse a place to be ruled by one group of people.
4) Personally, I think Yayaka's organization is Order, and Papika's organization is Chaos.
Nov 5, 2016 2:54 PM

May 2010
flannan said:
Atlas77 said:

Well, these gems seem good enough to bring about world domination.
Also, it seems that the greater the wish, the more gems you need. Or maybe gathering all the gems is what harnesses all the world's power of dreams, leaving the other people unable to resist.

Thai777 said:
Why did that doll close his eyes at the end?

Because it was finally freed from that world, and could get a rest?
I really feel that TitanAnteus and Fai went overboard with their analysis.

_Kairu_ said:

Maybe she can't finish saying it when she is not in the right frame of mind for the spell to work? Unlike Cocona, Papika is very direct.

TragicRomance said:
I am starting to think that Yayaka's organization is the 'good' one while the one Cocona and Papika are working for is the bad one.

1) Well, wholly evil organizations probably can't get a teenage girl as resolute as Yayaka.
3) In the end, no, it's never a good idea to take over the world, even if your intentions are good. The world is too diverse a place to be ruled by one group of people.
4) Personally, I think Yayaka's organization is Order, and Papika's organization is Chaos.

Ah you make solid points. I completely forgot about the world domination thing when I said that. Yours make more sense.
Nov 5, 2016 2:55 PM
Oct 2010
flannan said:
TragicRomance said:

Order/Chaos might indeed apply better here instead of Good/Evil.

Beside the inherent dangers of Pure Illusion just diving might risk death, as alluded in the first episode. Yet Salt and co. had no qualms with testing an innocent and apparently unrelated person (Cocona), so he definitely doesn't seem to be good from my perspective.

On the other hand, Yayaka's organization is cult-like and seemingly cutthroat. That doesn't scream good either even if we assume Yayaka's declaration was sardonic (which I believe as she is rather secretive)

But if we judge by they way they operate, then Order/Chaos can be more clearly identified... So I concur with using this "axis" instead.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Nov 5, 2016 2:57 PM
Nov 2015
This episode is absolutely cool, mixed horror, cute and fun. It really made me laugh when qrE3TInqs girls were clapping.
Well, I think, the description of this episode shown in official website seems to kind of reflect on irony of class S yuri.
Just translation from Google:
'“ごきげんよう”そこは女学生達が優雅な学園生活を送る秘密の花園。“ごきげんよう”それは永遠に続くリバイバルの呪文。今日起きなかったことが明日起こるはずも無く、世界は繰り返されていく。そして、ふとした思いがパピカとココナの胸をかすめたとき、時計塔の鐘の音が鳴り響いた─!'
'"Have a nice day" there is schoolgirl who is elegant school life Secret Garden. "Have a nice day" That spell of revival that last forever. That did not occur today without going to happen tomorrow, the world is going to be repeated. And, when the casual thought was glanced harmlessly off the chest of Papika and Cocona, it rang the sound of bells of the clock tower ─!'
Nov 5, 2016 4:03 PM

Jun 2014
I felt this episode was an homage to the Corpse Party series (though 100x less grim). If there are any gamers on here who liked the creepy atmosphere, I can't' recommend the games enough.
Nov 5, 2016 10:28 PM

Nov 2009
xyloshooter said:
This episode is absolutely cool, mixed horror, cute and fun. It really made me laugh when qrE3TInqs girls were clapping.
Well, I think, the description of this episode shown in official website seems to kind of reflect on irony of class S yuri.
Just translation from Google:
'“ごきげんよう”そこは女学生達が優雅な学園生活を送る秘密の花園。“ごきげんよう”それは永遠に続くリバイバルの呪文。今日起きなかったことが明日起こるはずも無く、世界は繰り返されていく。そして、ふとした思いがパピカとココナの胸をかすめたとき、時計塔の鐘の音が鳴り響いた─!'
'"Have a nice day" there is schoolgirl who is elegant school life Secret Garden. "Have a nice day" That spell of revival that last forever. That did not occur today without going to happen tomorrow, the world is going to be repeated. And, when the casual thought was glanced harmlessly off the chest of Papika and Cocona, it rang the sound of bells of the clock tower ─!'

Google isn't having a good day with translations.
"Greetings", where schoolgirls are sent to a secret garden of elegant school life.
The second sentence is okay - "Greetings", this is a spell of revival that lasts forever.
That what did not occur today surely will not occur tomorrow, this world is repeating.
And, when a sudden thought touched Papika and Cocona's hearts, the clock tower's bells rung!

(it's funny that Japanese say "chest" in idioms that mean "heart", kind of like Americans say "ass" in their idioms)

class S yuri

People keep saying that phrase. How does one classify yuri, preferably with a list of examples?
Nov 5, 2016 11:14 PM

Jan 2011
It's because of the Pure Illusion world that Cocona is getting all hot and bothered. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.
Nov 6, 2016 1:53 AM

Dec 2015
I appreciate the time skip made here. (most other series would have gladly made full episodes of more of the same, even in a short show)

Nice change of ambiance, really successful (loved the twin waiting imitation). Though I was oblivious to the main thing in the episode, judging from some posts I read here).

5/5 (sadly, on a superficial level)

About things I didn't see...
When did the lily became a representation of homosexual women? I thought it was a symbole of some christian figure and (in France) of the King. The most female-oriented meaning I knew was "maternity" and this has little to do with homosexual relationships.

Answer: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1566113&show=50#msg48462142

Edit: a bit annoyed/disappointed to see how this series excites the bad side of some viewers.
Rei_IIINov 6, 2016 3:38 AM
Nov 6, 2016 1:32 AM

Jul 2007
flannan said:

People keep saying that phrase. How does one classify yuri, preferably with a list of examples?

I'll just copy a portion of ANN's brilliant Yuri Kuma Arashi review that mostly matched iwth mythoughts on that subject.

Romantic friendship is an intimate relationship between two adolescent girls. While homosexuality is largely condemned in Japan, romantic friendships are socially acceptable because they're perceived as nonsexual and temporary – the girls are expected to grow out of the relationship and marry men as adults. An early 20th century literary genre called Class S helped develop the idea of romantic friendship in Japan. Class S works usually depict intense emotional relationships between schoolgirls that end with them separated by marriage, graduation, or death. This genre serves as the bedrock for modern yuri. Adult women-loving-women are still stigmatized in Japan, where their sexuality is often perceived as a mental illness.

Class S started as form of liberating LGBT writers from the bounds of censorship but then mutated into basically queerbaiting in modern shows. Same kidn of subtextual interactions, school setting, no confirmation, ends with graduation or death or separation. etc.

If you want to learn more you can always read my posts in Yuri Kuma Arashi episode threads as they deal with that topic a LOT, since that show is basically a 12 episode version of the critique this episode presents.

As for examples, the obvious one that this episode is referencing is Maria Sama Ga Miteru.
AhenshihaelNov 6, 2016 1:37 AM
Nov 6, 2016 1:43 AM

Jun 2013
Wow, this episode had a very creepy atmosphere.

Good stuff so far~
Nov 6, 2016 2:04 AM

Nov 2009
Rei366 said:
When did the lily became a representation of homosexual women? I thought it was a symbole of some christian figure and (in France) of the King. The most female-oriented meaning I knew was "maternity" and this has little to do with homosexual relationships.

Lily is pronounced "yuri" in Japanese. Answering why "yuri" means "homosexual women" is harder.
Here's what Wikipedia has to say: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_(genre)
P.S. Could not make BBCode work right with this URL.
Nov 6, 2016 2:44 AM

Jul 2007
flannan said:
Rei366 said:

Lily is pronounced "yuri" in Japanese. Answering why "yuri" means "homosexual women" is harder.
Here's what Wikipedia has to say: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_(genre)
P.S. Could not make BBCode work right with this URL.

Its not that hard. It comes form 70's when "coding" the LGBT stuff was common(after all in places like USA it was literally banned by censorship laws to even mention lgbt stuff in textual way). Yurizoku was just a lesbian analogue of barazoku. And then it just stuck
Nov 6, 2016 3:44 AM

Dec 2015
@Fai So it's simply build on a word itself derived from a magazine's name. Thank you.
(though that's kind of sad to learn that even the press segregates the population based on sexual taste)
Because of my twisted logic, I am wondering now if male characters posing with a rose or having it as a symbole/flag are supposed to be a reference to the term of bara-zoku (in manga/animation). I am wrong, right?

Out-of-curiosity: is this female "romantic friendship" even a real thing (seems so fictionnal) ? And why is it female-exclusive (since the term doesn't include anything to make it know that it is about girls only)?
AND... (I sense, I will regret this) Why isn't this simply viewed as a stronger friendship than the average one?

Sorry if it strands too far away from the thread.

@flannan Thanks too. You tried. ^^
@flannan I see. Quite proud to not wear any of those two deforming goggles. (looks like anything would look like a CLAMP manga through them)
Rei_IIINov 6, 2016 3:56 AM
Nov 6, 2016 3:51 AM

Nov 2009
Rei366 said:
Out-of-curiosity: is this female "romantic friendship" even a real thing (seems so fictionnal) ? And why is it female-exclusive (since the term doesn't include anything to make it know that it is about girls only)?
AND... (I sense, I will regret this) Why isn't this simply viewed as a stronger friendship than the average one?

Sports anime and battle shounen anime often feature pretty strong male friendships. Fangirls are likely to view them as romantic, which is why some people call anime like that "fujobait".
Viewing a "romantic friendship" as friendship or romance is a matter of state of mind (called "yuri goggles" or "yaoi goggles" if you see it). I think it's easier to see such things about opposite gender, and you only notice the relationship between two people of your gender might be romantic when it's obvious, or when it crosses your personal boundaries.
No idea what strong friendships between girls or women are like IRL.
flannanNov 6, 2016 3:54 AM
Nov 6, 2016 4:22 AM

Jul 2007
flannan said:
Rei366 said:

Sports anime and battle shounen anime often feature pretty strong male friendships. Fangirls are likely to view them as romantic, which is why some people call anime like that "fujobait".
Viewing a "romantic friendship" as friendship or romance is a matter of state of mind (called "yuri goggles" or "yaoi goggles" if you see it). I think it's easier to see such things about opposite gender, and you only notice the relationship between two people of your gender might be romantic when it's obvious, or when it crosses your personal boundaries.
No idea what strong friendships between girls or women are like IRL.

Its not a matter of state of mind. Baiting is very real marketing technique and the shows are written and shot in such a way as to bring the subtextual interpretation to people without actually getting the textual confirmation.

There's no such thing as "yuri goggles". THere is however a social conditioning based heteronormative view that a lot of straight people take up, which leads to those people essentially seeing interactions between opposite sexes in different way than interactions between same sex. As in what they view as romantic for opposite sex interactions becomes "come on guys, they are just really great friends" when it happens for same sex. LGBT community and actually more educated people who are not as influenced by conservative upbringing or religion, however, see both in the same light without being blind to it. So the companies present subtextual content and parallels that then gets interpreted one way by one side and completely ignored by other. So it is less about "gay people seeing things" and more about heteronormative people being intentionally unable to see things. Thus the company manages to "bait" LGBT community into consuming the product while at the same time not actually GIVING them what they expect, thus retaining more homophobic part of their customers. This is a great long post from a film graduate covering the concept of queerbaiting and how and WHY it is used in modern media

That is what this episode critiques after all. Class S queerbaiting stuff. An infinite loop of same interactions and subtext that never progresses and gets cut off "at eleventh hour"(as in at last possible moment). Thousands of works that use those interactions and lead nowhere.
You have dozens of stories set in girl schools, filled with subtext and intimate interactions and then they all mostly end before graduating without an actual textual confirmation of lesbian relationship actually happening. And it gets repeated from work to work to another work. Same tropes, same subtext, no pay off, no confirmation, no progress.

Cocona even gets it put into words about how it is about a "feeling" that persists but can't get anywhere.

Rei366 said:

(though that's kind of sad to learn that even the press segregates the population based on sexual taste)

There's nothing sad about reaffirming your identity.

"not segregating" within heteronormative society would mean being drowned in heteronormative content.

People HAD to use terms like that to identify their demographic and their own identities because actually using LGBT terms was impossible and frowned upon. Even now it is not uncommon for people who reveal themselves to be gay to be "erased" from public view in Japan.

"I don't see sexual orientation", "I don't see gender", "I don't see skin color/race" ONLY works in balanced world. The world is not balanced, thus pretending to use moderate terms like that leads to discrimination. As an example - it is easy for white people in USA to say that they don't really judge people by skin color. However black people HAVE to see their skin color and interpret everything according to it lest they be shot by the police like it happens all the time. One group can happily "not see race", the other - has to if they want to live.
AhenshihaelNov 6, 2016 4:34 AM
Nov 6, 2016 4:41 AM

Dec 2015
@Fai Ok, then I will excuse myself for my brackets, I simply ignored tht there were dedicated magazines when homosexuality should not concern anything part from the sex you can feel romantic with. That kind of reminds me the ideas that my parents tried to force on me like "an homosexual male will be like that, wear this, talk like that, like those things while a female one will blablabla". (maybe I misunderstood, but that is what it rings like. It's like those horrible press publications endorsing gender roles)

edit: sorry, the last comparison was probably because I must work on some disgusting text from Rousseau)
Rei_IIINov 6, 2016 4:46 AM
Nov 6, 2016 6:00 AM

Nov 2009
Rei366 said:
@flannan I see. Quite proud to not wear any of those two deforming goggles. (looks like anything would look like a CLAMP manga through them)

I do wear yuri goggles. I am a straight male, by the way. People often seem to find homosexual relationships between opposite sex to be romantic/sexy.

Rei366 said:

In my opinion, target audience is a very powerful tool that allows shows to appeal to their target audience a lot more than bland "family" shows.
Especially when it comes to sexual taste. People often have pretty weird and specific preferences.
Separating different kinds of works into different magazines is pretty natural, because they all will never fit into a single magazine. At it's a lot easier for works to find their readers too.

But in the end, we are all watching and reading different works, and grow up to be different people who have trouble understanding each other. There is no easy way around that, we all have to learn do deal with people who are not like us.

Fai said:
Its not a matter of state of mind. Baiting is very real marketing technique and the shows are written and shot in such a way as to bring the subtextual interpretation to people without actually getting the textual confirmation.

Yes, I do know some shows are intentionally written this way. I argue that interpreting such works (and some works that are just about strong friendships, but don't share the viewer's background) is dependent on the viewer.

Fai said:
So it is less about "gay people seeing things" and more about heteronormative people being intentionally unable to see things.

I am under the impression that a large amount of heterosexual (but not heteronormative) people enjoy these "baiting" shows for their homosexual content. It just has to be homosexual content of the opposite gender.
I think it's wrong that yaoi fangirls are more disliked than yuri fanboys.
Nov 7, 2016 5:08 PM

May 2015
This episode was both creepy and fun at the same time. It felt like they set the right atmosphere. Great episode.

Nov 7, 2016 8:14 PM
Oct 2007
This episode was like some kind of weird twisted version of Maria Watches over us with all the gokigen'yō and the church setting
Nov 7, 2016 8:21 PM
Oct 2016
In every episode and especially this one I'm here like "That's some Yume Nikki stuff right there..."
Nov 8, 2016 2:53 AM

Apr 2014
This ep was really creepy. It had a lot of Madoka-ish feeling in it too.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

0 by Pish_Posh »»
Dec 3, 2023 7:37 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

189 by Atsunome »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.