Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is an Oyasumi Punpun anime adaptation a good idea?
Nov 1, 2016 12:53 AM
Nov 2015
I personally have HUGE doubts on how well an Oyasumi Punpun anime adaptation would actually turn out. I mean, you'd have to take in consideration that the many aspects that came across well in manga may not work as well on screen. Like Punpun's zero use of actual text bubbles in the manga. How will that work in an anime? Will he have to be silent or something throughout the anime? And etc., there are many other Oyasumi Punpun things I feel may not work in an anime.

But the purpose for this discussion is for your opinion. Would it be a good idea if an Oyasumi Punpun anime adaptation were placed into production?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 1, 2016 3:31 AM

Nov 2014
Why would punpun being silent be an issue? Unless its implied that he talks in-between frames I don't really remember.
Nov 1, 2016 4:42 AM
Nov 2015
Touniouk said:
Why would punpun being silent be an issue? Unless its implied that he talks in-between frames I don't really remember.

It kinda is a big issue. Yes, of course, Punpun can speak like any other normal person. However, in the manga, he doesn't actually "speak". His speech is almost never in the same panel as he is (it's usually in some lone dark panel), and you never actually see him make any mouth movements that symbolize speech. In this way, he is portrayed as sort of mysterious and "speechless".

It would seem rather off if Punpun will remain silent throughout the anime since he, after all, is the main protagonist, and I don't see how an anime can pull it off properly with a silent protagonist. And if otherwise Punpun does speak in the anime, it would destroy the kind of image he had in the manga, since he never actually "speaks" in the manga.

That's just how I see things at least.
Nov 4, 2016 4:04 AM

Oct 2014
I'm sure an adaptation would do Punpun justice if he would narrate the story. It would get the same vibe as the Tatami Galaxy, where the main character just speaks to himself and thus not interact with the characters around him. Another case where this worked is in Saiki. He does not interact physically but mentally, but of course this is a different case to punpun. Overall the adaptation must not be rushed as any of these would be pointless to boot.
RedInfinityNov 5, 2016 2:39 AM
Nov 4, 2016 4:28 AM

Oct 2015
Nope. I haven't finished reading it yet but when I picture it being animated, I actually don't think it'll work out
Nov 4, 2016 5:23 AM

Apr 2014
It won't.

But on the other hand, I feel like "Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction" might have the potential for it. It would be hard to do it, but in the hand of a talented director (and supervised by Asano himself or something), it could be great and actually interesting.

The question with any adaptation of manga into anime should be : will it add something to it ? Is it meaningful to do so ?
Of course, in reality, this question don't apply, since it's only for the money and commerical purpose 99 percent of the time.
But when there is an artistic goal and pure desire behind it, it's when it become worth trying and watching (in my opinion)..
I don't think music, sounds, colors, and all the cinema language would give something more/meaningful to "Oyasumi Punpun" ... but I think it could for "DDDD".
So far it's the only work of Inio Asano I can picture in my mind as an anime (I even thought about a perfect episodes end credits for it, with the music and all, actually ^^)
DullboyNov 4, 2016 5:30 AM
Nov 4, 2016 3:44 PM
Nov 2015
RedInfinity said:
I'm sure an adaptation would do Punpun justice if he would narrate the story. It would get the same vibe as the Tatami Galaxy, where the main character just speaks to himself and thus not interact with the characters around him. Another came where this worked is in Saiki. He does not interact physically but mentally, but of course this is a different case to punpun. Overall the adaptation must not be rushed as any of these would be pointless to boot.

Do you think a voice actor for Punpun is a good idea? I've never pictured him to be a speaking character in the manga, and I think seeing Punpun outwardly speak on scene would ruin the "Punpun effect".

I don't think the protagonist-centered monologue effect used in The Tatami Galaxy can be applied similarly here, because the two seem to have polar opposite narrative styles. While it is Watashi who narrates the overall experience in The Tatami Galaxy, Oyasumi Punpun seems to be centered upon either a limited omniscient narrator of Punpun or the other characters. We mostly have access to Punpun's thoughts... well, Punpun does speak, but when he does, we never see him do the actual action of speaking. His speech is always to be found on some lone dark text panel. So we've got the illusion of Punpun as being a non-speaking character. So if Oyasumi Punpun did get an anime adaptation, it would be best if Punpun didn't have a voice actor to play him.

And yeah, an anime adaptation of a manga like Oyasumi Punpun should NEVER be rushed.
Nov 27, 2016 9:27 AM

Oct 2009
Punpun wouldnt benefit from an anime adaptation. It would be random and nonsensical.

Nov 27, 2016 10:32 AM

Sep 2016
Considering that nowadays this type of anime it's 99% impossible to be adapted for demand and restrict for their content, watch most of the situation of Punpun animated not have much impact than watching in the paper work, i want to believe in a good adaptation other than fucking CGI, but for now it's imposible.
May 4, 2017 12:47 PM
May 2017
mochiguma said:
I personally have HUGE doubts on how well an Oyasumi Punpun anime adaptation would actually turn out. I mean, you'd have to take in consideration that the many aspects that came across well in manga may not work as well on screen. Like Punpun's zero use of actual text bubbles in the manga. How will that work in an anime? Will he have to be silent or something throughout the anime? And etc., there are many other Oyasumi Punpun things I feel may not work in an anime.

But the purpose for this discussion is for your opinion. Would it be a good idea if an Oyasumi Punpun anime adaptation were placed into production?
The only way that works its making it like monogatari Series cuting while he is talking and showing us a messange of what he is saying. Obiously it will be alot less than the manga and making an anime could work if it uses well the ways and a bit of exageration to make more intresting that paused time show it in the manga
May 4, 2017 5:49 PM

Jun 2015
It'd be okay if handled right, but it most certainly wouldn't be handled right.

Besides, one of the best things about Punpun is the panel transitions.

Oct 16, 2018 8:02 PM
Mar 2018
RedInfinity said:
I'm sure an adaptation would do Punpun justice if he would narrate the story. It would get the same vibe as the Tatami Galaxy, where the main character just speaks to himself and thus not interact with the characters around him. Another case where this worked is in Saiki. He does not interact physically but mentally, but of course this is a different case to punpun. Overall the adaptation must not be rushed as any of these would be pointless to boot.

I totally agree!!
Oct 17, 2018 4:10 AM

Feb 2018
Punpun inner thoughts would be really hard to handle as well the whole God thing...

I prefer that Oyasumi Punpun stays as a manga and as samskeyti mentioned, Punpun has one of the best (if not the best) panel transitions, which sort of makes an unique touch for the manga
Nov 5, 2018 8:51 PM

Jan 2017
If it's from studio Shaft and the same staff that work on Monogatari Series then Yes it's a good idea.
Nov 5, 2018 10:28 PM
Apr 2016
I really feel Punpun's character is made in a way that it would discard all sorts of external biases i.e. his appearance, voice etc. An anime adaptation would require them to give away the whole voice part at least.
But in some ways I do think it's not a terrible idea, I don't know how they'll make it dark enough but I guess it's not bad to try.
Nov 11, 2018 1:17 PM
Jul 2017
I feel that shaft would be the best studio to tackle punpun. They have that weird cut-out-and-paste art style with some of their shows like Madoka Magica and monogatari. I could see them handling the God scenes well. The only anime that has Asano’s art style is Subete ga F ni Naru, so it isn’t as if his art style would be impossible to make in anime form.
Nov 11, 2018 2:30 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I vote yes because I want to see the community squirm, given the response to Goblin Slayer's anime. Even censored this would be a beautiful wildfire to witness, regardless of if it would be adapted well or not.

Tbh I think it could be done. Question is whose real-life face would be used to play as God? Or would they just color the manga face?
Nov 19, 2018 9:55 AM
Apr 2017
I personally don't want an anime adaption. But Shaft could bring out the charm of the manga.
Feb 7, 2019 11:21 AM
Aug 2018
i hope it, but maybe it looks unrealistic. Oyasumi Punpun belong to Seinen and dark manga. Absolutly dark topic throughout story that kinda boring. I imagine it must be like "1984" or "The Lobster" (Movie)
Feb 8, 2019 5:57 AM

May 2014
They might have to cut a lot of stuff, but a 2 hour movie would be good.
Jun 10, 2019 12:45 PM

Sep 2018
It would be pretty hard but if a studio can pull it off and do the manga justice it would be one of the modern classics.

But i would rather have no adaptation than a bad one.
Jun 10, 2019 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
I'm gonna have to agree with The Anime Man and say no. Asano Inio's artwork for one is too damn good for it to translate well in moving form in my opinion. Also the story gets depressingly dark and morbid at times that I would worry about how it was handled. I'd just rather it be left alone.
Jun 10, 2019 4:33 PM

Jul 2016
Manga is literally praised through and through as if it were the greatest thing to grace Japan, an Anime adaption wouldn't make a difference
Jun 10, 2019 6:10 PM

Sep 2018
It wouldn't work unless you get a real genius as the director and even then it'd be a coin toss. Punpun utilizes the possibilities of a manga to its limits. I can't see it working in any different medium.
Jun 10, 2019 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
I just pooped the biggest brick in my entire life, holy frick
Jul 5, 2019 3:01 PM

Jan 2018
Ramy_Stereo said:
It wouldn't work unless you get a real genius as the director and even then it'd be a coin toss. Punpun utilizes the possibilities of a manga to its limits. I can't see it working in any different medium.

I came here to say the exact same thing. As some of the others said, it could be possible with the visuals of a studio like Shaft and a talented director at the helm of the project, but even then it would really be a huge risk. Punpun plays way too heavily on the strengths of the manga medium for me to be able to see an adaptation working out very well.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jul 24, 2019 3:49 AM
May 2018
I know that now this isn't possible as of now but I believe a director like Naoko Yamada, which specializes in visual storytelling and body language, and a studio like KyoAni, who is the definition of beauty and quality, could do it.
I saw what other people said about the inconveniences and thought that that team would be the solution.
Shaft could probably do it as well but they haven't been in the greatest state as of now, with a bunch of employees leaving the studio and all.
SaltyMusicGuyJul 24, 2019 3:54 AM
Jul 26, 2019 2:04 AM

Mar 2019
Just use narration in key scenes. Punpun would technically be a silent protagonist. Could work. I second the KyoAni suggestion.
Mar 16, 2020 3:55 AM
Dec 2018
I feel like there's only one way for this to be adapted to semi-quality. And that's if it was done by shaft and styled the same as the monogatari series where whenever there'd be a "dialogue" text from pun pun they'd just go to a separate screen with text, EXACTLY like in monogatari.
Mar 20, 2020 6:44 PM
Sep 2019
maybe if it’s really well made, but even then i don’t think it’d ever happen with how long the manga is and some of the more messed up scenes of it.
Mar 26, 2020 2:49 PM

Oct 2009
I do agree that in the hands of most studios it probably wouldn't do the material any justice.

But saying that it can't be done is just greatly underestimating the power of a proper production and good directing.

The manga is brilliant and I think a proper anime adaptation could be as well. Interesting topic though.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Mar 29, 2020 9:10 AM

Oct 2019
If either Shaft or Science Saru adapt it, sure. If any other studio adapts it, god no.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Mar 29, 2020 12:22 PM

Jul 2014
If it gets an anime adaptation, the art style needs to be modified effectively to better suit the medium of animation. And it NEEDS a talented, creative director.
Take care of yourself

Mar 29, 2020 12:41 PM

Jan 2014
Surprised it's pretty much half and half with the poll

Honesty I'd say no. But if it did get an anime, it would HAVE to be animated by Shaft
May 27, 2020 8:09 PM
May 2020
I’d like to see an anime adaptation. If it’s bad it wouldn’t ruin the manga for me it’d be cool to see if they could pull off the adaption though
Jul 5, 2020 7:30 AM
Jul 2020
even though he cant speak but he can actually do sign language just like nishimiya from a silent voice idk if it will work but it worth a try
Jul 14, 2020 11:49 PM
Jan 2019
If you ask me? The Director of Mushishi would make this sht lit asf.
Jul 15, 2020 12:43 AM

Jan 2020
Pretty surprising to see that there's almost an equal amount of people on both sides. I thought there would be a lot more who think it's a bad idea.

Personally, I don't mind an anime adaptation since I'm interested to see how they are going to adapt it. But I don't think that it would be a decent adaptation.
Jul 28, 2020 6:22 PM
Apr 2019
shit yeah i think, with a good enough team behind it, anything can be animated. and even if it's garbage it wouldn't affect how good the manga is.
Jul 28, 2020 7:51 PM

Oct 2015
It's probably going to be pretty divisive if there was one depending on the type of tone the hypothetical directors go for
Aug 2, 2020 7:59 AM
Aug 2014
I wouldnt mind if Yuasa does it, it would definitely require someone who knows how to get experimental.
Aug 29, 2020 5:05 AM

Apr 2019
Seems like I'm pretty late, but if Shaft did this, I think it could work well.
my life was made with mematic.
Aug 30, 2020 8:29 PM

Jan 2016
I think it would only be a good idea if it were done extremely respectfully and faithfully to the manga. However, I doubt it would be, so it's a no from me on an adaptation. Asano Inio's artwork might also be traded for a different style in an anime, which would be a shame.

As for Punpun's silence, he often talks between manga frames, so perhaps it would have a similar effect if they made the animation seem like it cuts to people's responses. Those special instances where his words and thoughts are white text over plain black could be kept as is-- just text over a black screen with no voiceover.

You are now breathing manually.
Nov 26, 2020 11:05 AM

Jul 2020
It is a different style of artwork that only works on paper, so I think that the magic would be gone in an anime adaptation.
Nov 26, 2020 12:21 PM

May 2020
even if it won't turn out great, I would really want an adaption

kljakjkjasndnkjnsadk

Nov 26, 2020 12:53 PM

Sep 2014
Nope, the art is the only good thing about this manga
Nov 28, 2020 8:39 AM

Oct 2019
Oyasumi punpun as Manga lacks color, but any color pallette, no matter how dark would honestly ruin punpun. Making it black and white like in Manga would be useless. Also, there are many questionable scenes so it would not fly on TV. OVA format would be good, but to be honest, this Manga does not need anime adaptation if it's only purpose giving it recognition.
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Nov 30, 2020 10:08 PM

Dec 2012
In order for this to succeed as an Anime Adaptation, an enormous amount of work would be needed, and obviously experienced directors. Even if it became one, unless it's a masterpiece, it would receive a huge backlash given how well appreciated the manga is. Also, I don't see how Punpun being mostly silent can work, but I'm sure given enough thought someone in the industry or even Asano himself can find a way.

Theoretically it can work, but I'd prefer not to be given hope when it will most likely be an empty one. Also, I don't think Shaft adapting Oyasumi Punpun would work. In fact, I can't imagine any studio picking this up and me being confident they will make it decent.
Kal'tsit: Is that... really worth it? Amiya...

Amiya: Even if no one understands me... I'll keep going on the path I choose.
Maybe it will incinerate me to dust... But if I don't do it, no one can.

Arknights ▵ Crylix#0810
Dec 4, 2020 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
The artwork couldn’t line up with the manga in any regards so I think it’s a bad thought.
Jan 13, 2021 9:45 AM
Sep 2016
crotaku15 said:
Oyasumi punpun as Manga lacks color, but any color pallette, no matter how dark would honestly ruin punpun. Making it black and white like in Manga would be useless. Also, there are many questionable scenes so it would not fly on TV. OVA format would be good, but to be honest, this Manga does not need anime adaptation if it's only purpose giving it recognition.

That's a VERY GOOD point. Some shows rely on their color scheme to make it stand out, one example I'm thinking of is JJBA.
I can't even think of a studio that would be able to replicate everything well. It would be nice to have an anime but I think leaving it as a manga is perfect by itself.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 69 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2013

24 by shuffle_017 »»
Apr 15, 9:36 PM

» Is this the most insane piece of fiction in existence? (That's actually meaningful)

Hacker075 - Apr 12

2 by Hacker075 »»
Apr 13, 12:25 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 143 Discussion

Smooched - Oct 2, 2013

27 by Luschka_ »»
Apr 1, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2013

31 by Luschka_ »»
Mar 23, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 145 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2014

64 by astoneon »»
Mar 22, 2:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.