Forum Settings
Forums

Ive got some questions related to life/death, does someone has an answer?

New
Oct 31, 2016 1:48 PM
Nov 2015
I just entered my philosophical phase in life and there are questions which bug me.

1) What if my life is a dream and everyone will die, except me? What if Im actually an old women in coma reliving her life or a millionaire who decided to take a nap?
2) How can I tell for sure that other human beings have feelings and are not just a part of my dream?
3) What if after death we begin to live, thus THIS what we call life is death?
4) What if every person sees life differently?
5) How can we tell for sure that history has actually happened (World War, dinosaurs, Medieval times etc.) and someone didnt just made things up?
6) Am I clever for thinking about these questions or just batshit crazy? Has anyone here thought about stuff like this before?

Maybe Im just thinking too much about crap lol
Oct 31, 2016 2:01 PM

Mar 2012
hello my sweet child
1) Solipsism is kind of what you're getting at. Fascinating stuffs. I also like imagining that our whole universe is contained in just a grain of sand on some ugly beach, just waiting to get swept into the ocean, which will then fuck everything up instantly.
2) Again, kind of like solipsism. But I know that other humans have got to be real because I watch Rupaul's Drag Race and I'm just amazed at the genius that comes out of their mouths every episode so if the world is truly a figment of my imagination then I'm amazed at myself.
3) Nah I'm pretty sure we just die.
5) Because there is a lot of recorded proof. Bones and shit. Science. Diary of Anne Frank. Come on now.
6) I'm pretty sure everyone goes through a phase of thinking through shit. I remember telling my mom back in 2nd grade after thinking about the lyrics to Row Your Boat. "Mom, what if life REALLY is just a dream."
Oct 31, 2016 2:09 PM
Nov 2015
tit said:
hello my sweet child
1) Solipsism is kind of what you're getting at. Fascinating stuffs. I also like imagining that our whole universe is contained in just a grain of sand on some ugly beach, just waiting to get swept into the ocean, which will then fuck everything up instantly.
2) Again, kind of like solipsism. But I know that other humans have got to be real because I watch Rupaul's Drag Race and I'm just amazed at the genius that comes out of their mouths every episode so if the world is truly a figment of my imagination then I'm amazed at myself.
3) Nah I'm pretty sure we just die.
5) Because there is a lot of recorded proof. Bones and shit. Science. Diary of Anne Frank. Come on now.
6) I'm pretty sure everyone goes through a phase of thinking through shit. I remember telling my mom back in 2nd grade after thinking about the lyrics to Row Your Boat. "Mom, what if life REALLY is just a dream."

Tbh, solipsism scares the shit out of me. 99% of me thinks that its complete and utter bullshit, but there are always those "what ifs" which scare me nonetheless. My biggest wish is that I can COMPLETELY erase that thought about solipsism from my mind.

btw you skipped question nr. 4 lol
Oct 31, 2016 2:10 PM

Aug 2016
1. You are. None of us are real. The lives you see portrayed in television and mainstream media are actually the lives of those who really existed. Your subconscious disguises them in this way so that it doesn't cause you trauma. I've been sent here to try and wake you up. Many of us have tried reaching out to you, so please if you see this, just wake up. Just...wake. up...

2. Feelings are for pussies. We're all actually a bunch of sociopaths.

3. Death is the end of the first level.

4.No one sees it differently, because none of us have eyes.

5. Trust me, they happened. I was there. The dinosaurs fought for our independence from Carl Weezer...that sick, tyrannical bastard...

6.You need many injections of many questionable drugs. I fear for all of our safety that you are not in a place where you can't wreak havoc upon us all...

nah, we all think like that at some point or another,
Oct 31, 2016 2:22 PM

Aug 2013
1) Solipsism is a weak, juvenile and unsophisticated philosophical position; it is logically unassailable, it doesn't really say anything useful, and it is ultimately pointless. You can believe that you're an old woman in a coma, or that life is a simulation, or that you're in a dream, but does it change anything? No. There are many things that I have against solipsism, but I'm not gonna bother listing everything right now. There was a period in my childhood where I was frightened by it as well, but I started reading philosophy once I got older in order to refine my philosophical views, and I encourage you to do the same if it troubles you.

2) This is the kind of stuff that makes people subscribing to solipsism/radical skepticism annoying to deal with. Short answer: You can't.

3) Not a single person on the planet has an answer to that, m8.

4) They do see life differently. We all perceive the world according to how we interpret it, filtering external stimuli through past experiences, memories, et cetera. The explanatory gap makes this tricky to talk about, though. This doesn't mean that we have an entirely different view of life, but we certainly don't see it the same way, because we're not identical robots.

5) Historical accounts oftentimes stem from multiple sources, and not just one. There are also archaeological evidence and other physical evidence. Is history distorted/unclear? Definitely, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

6) I reckon most people have these thoughts at some point in their lives, usually in their early teens. Just start reading some philosophy and become even more insane.
MoogOct 31, 2016 2:54 PM
Oct 31, 2016 2:51 PM

Jul 2015
I think about 4 and 5 all the time but DAMN 3 got me thinking and questioning everything

Also, you can't really answer any of these for sure except 4 (everyone does see things differently)
Nov 1, 2016 4:13 AM

Aug 2015
1 & 2) sounds like solipsism, which is an incredibly pretentious, pointless concept imo. there's no way you can tell for sure.
3) that's actually a good question, haven't thought about that before. technically unanswerable, though, considering the fact that only dead people know the answer for sure.
4) of course they do. personalities, man.
5) evidence, artifacts, bones, ruins, etc. though, there is that one theory that everything is happening at the same time but the human brain has created the concept of time to deal with it all.
6) you're no different from anyone else, people think about shit like this a lot, don't worry too much about it.
Nov 1, 2016 5:32 AM

Mar 2016
What if every person sees life differently

Humans are meaning-making creatures. And we create meaning differently so we see life differently.

Am I clever for thinking about these questions or just batshit crazy?

I don't think either of those are the reason. . . The reason why you are thinking those questions is because you are a Human

Has anyone here thought about stuff like this before?

Me, yes. A bit different with what you are thinking but they are still similar stuff

I am not too good to answer your other questions

Maybe Im just thinking too much about crap lol

Yes, lots of people do.
Kurniawan_KtrNov 1, 2016 5:36 AM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Nov 1, 2016 5:48 AM
Jul 2018
This is pretty simple. All those questions have no answer. Yeah.
Nov 1, 2016 5:48 AM

Jun 2016
Basic human wonders, no your not special for thinking them but nobody has the answers. Don't think too much about it...
Nov 1, 2016 6:35 AM

Sep 2015
Seems to me, someone at some point of their life will be perplexed by all of this solipsism stuffs even though having zero knowledge about philosophy or philosophical concepts when they enter this 'philosophical phase' - as how OP term it - eventually. Not sure why it has to be that, though.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Nov 1, 2016 8:25 AM

Nov 2015
UpperCat said:
Seems to me, someone at some point of their life will be perplexed by all of this solipsism stuffs even though having zero knowledge about philosophy or philosophical concepts when they enter this 'philosophical phase' - as how OP term it - eventually. Not sure why it has to be that, though.

At 'this point', majority of available experiences have already gotten old. The phrase 'numbing out' perfectly captures this point. I would hypothesize that everything seems meaningless and thereby, to justify this meaninglessness, we are inclined to ponder philosophies that dabble between 'all or nothing' -- solipsism, existentialism, nihilism etc.
Nov 1, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2015
1. Dont worry about it
2. Don't worry about it
3. Dont worry about it
4. They do
5. Don't worry about it
6. You're incredibly clever and surely the first person ever to have these thoughts Tiny Sarcasm!
Nov 1, 2016 3:30 PM

Apr 2016
no one knows.
ooOOOooooOOOoooOoooooo
Nov 2, 2016 5:19 PM

Sep 2015
Trance said:
UpperCat said:

At 'this point', majority of available experiences have already gotten old. The phrase 'numbing out' perfectly captures this point. I would hypothesize that everything seems meaningless and thereby, to justify this meaninglessness, we are inclined to ponder philosophies that dabble between 'all or nothing' -- solipsism, existentialism, nihilism etc.

That makes a lot of sense, and pretty much covers everything I'd like to know.

Well, maybe this is obvious and not worth mentioning but I also think this 'everything seems meaningless' is also related to circumstances. People are due to undergo certain hardship in their life which makes the occupied by that mindset and the rest of the case is the same as your explanation and leads them to seek salvation through philosophy. I recognized that lot of people exhibit the same pattern as that, from my little observation at my surrounding.
UpperCatNov 2, 2016 5:49 PM

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Nov 2, 2016 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
Lord_Sithis said:

Actually even tho they may not have a definite Yes the historical one can be a 99% certain yes because we have archaeological findings unless you really wanna go into the "they are fake" territory.
Nov 2, 2016 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
Darek said:
Lord_Sithis said:

Actually even tho they may not have a definite Yes the historical one can be a 99% certain yes because we have archaeological findings unless you really wanna go into the "they are fake" territory.
There's archaeological evidence, true. But "they are fake" territory is also pretty interesting. And if life is fake and just a dream and all that stuff, then who cares about archaeological findings?

More topics from this board

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 22

9 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

97 by Ex-Aid »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
5 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by R-unknown »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.