Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 3, 2010 12:18 PM

I'm excited, since YenPress just announced they licensed the novel series, with the first volume to be expected this July!

BOOK GIRL AND THE SUICIDAL MIME

Count me in!

Feb 3, 2010 1:15 PM

same here:D I just hope it won't end up like Zero no Tsukaima

Feb 16, 2010 9:53 AM

Why they did this to me. There's no way i could buy it, and now i can't read cause they licensed it and B-T abandoned translation project. *despair*
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー

Apr 5, 2010 1:47 PM

Tadadadadadadaaah.

I came across the cover for the novel.. so, what do you guys think?

(The size of the title is perhaps a tad too eh.. out there, but it has Touko. IT. HAS. TOUKO.)

It looks quite 'americanized/aimed for the Western market, but that's okay. What else could or should we have expected? Sure, I would have preferred something closer to the original, they could have kept a clean, white background with a neat little red font, but of course they're not trying to emphasize the 'light novel' aspect too much. I can really see this book ending up in the young adult aisle. And I'm fine with that. (And the color pages inside.. they will be gorgeous.. Touko Amano.. I love her..)

I'll buy it. I'm really not going to boycot a release simply because I don't 'like' it's cover.
(Everyone should be satisfied with everything that Yen Press offered them in the case of the S&W debacle. You could either get a free slipcover with their magazine, or order the novel via various websites that would ship it as an extra. I chose for the latter option. Do you think Tokyopop or a comparable company would have done something like that? But, I think YP wanted to avoid a situation like that by all means again, because it seems like they went safe and used the regular cover for the second release.. anyhow..)

@OrochiPL: What do you mean 'can't buy it?' It'll be available pretty much everywhere in the case of popular online bookshops. I already checked the website of a small local bookchain over here, and it's already listed in their inventory for pre-order! And, if it's the case of 'money', you should save for it. I'm sure it'll be worth it. ;)
Modified by desolato, Apr 5, 2010 1:51 PM

Apr 11, 2010 5:47 AM

I can't wait to buy myself a copy.

I read the first volume and it seemed very interesting.

Apr 23, 2010 10:40 AM

The cover looks better than I thought. I agree that the title is a bit too big, but hey, we've at least got Touko on the cover! I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out.

May 9, 2010 7:28 PM
i'm a bit sad with the cover but well what can i do except buying it since I cant read japanese. T-T

May 12, 2010 8:15 PM
Like everyone else, I think the title size is a tad on the big side. Hmm, is it me, does anyone else think that the brown cover w/ the rip looks like a dust jacket? I personally think it would be a cool idea for them to make that a dust jacket, and underneath that is a clean white cover kinda like the original.

Nonetheless, I will be buying this and I am happy it managed to get licensed.
Modified by ADiSiNS, May 13, 2010 3:32 PM

Jul 31, 2010 10:17 PM

I've finally got the book but I would say the title sucks, "Book girl and the Suicidal Mime".

Aug 1, 2010 1:58 AM

Has YenPress said anything about translating the other novels as well?

Aug 2, 2010 1:13 PM

Ajean said:
Has YenPress said anything about translating the other novels as well?

Not explicitly, but I think we can assume the rest of the novels surely will follow, as YP is always fairly trustful with this. But in case you're not convinced yet, you might wanna check this page out: http://www.yenpress.com/book-girl-novel/
BOOM! They already scheduled each and every upcoming novel of the series; even up to 2014! I don't even want to think about my age at that time. I wonder if I'll still be into anime and manga? ...

metanix said:
I've finally got the book but I would say the title sucks, "Book girl and the Suicidal Mime".

Did you finish it already? If so, you might realize the title once again..

Aug 4, 2010 1:50 AM

@desolato
Yeah, I've read it but it's just the title 'book girl' that I don't like. I would have prefered literature girl. But I guess once you hear about books then it's easier to understand then literature.
Modified by Nagiii, Aug 4, 2010 1:57 AM

Sep 22, 2010 9:38 PM

Just ordered the first volume. I would have preferred Literature Girl for the title as well but oh well, at least they're releasing it.

Feb 14, 2011 10:29 PM

Just ordered the first two books. Can't wait to get my hand on them!

Feb 14, 2011 10:31 PM

This sounds interesting. I could walk into Borders or something and pick these up or I guess not? Mail order?

Sep 15, 2012 11:15 AM

I'm honestly in awe at the skill of the translator of this series.

4 books read and can't wait to get my hands on the fifth one.
Weekly light novel release list (data back to 20th October 2014)
Monthly light novel sales rankings (Jan 2015 onwards)
Best selling Light Novel volumes of the year/all time*.
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Oct 3, 2012 9:34 AM

First book bought and read.
Can't buy second book. It's over £100 on Amazon. I don't want to skip out on buying the book, but I might go onto the rest and hope it's cheaper later on.

Oct 3, 2012 12:07 PM

Hahaha you and me both it would seem, I just finished the first one the other day and know am playing with the idea to buy it despite the price.

Oct 3, 2012 12:20 PM

I bought the second one (and all the others for that matter) from Waterstones, but they only have 1 copy in stock now (in Wandsworth, if you live anywhere near there).

It'll probably become more available again soon.

Sorry, my copies of this series are not for sale. Ever. This series is too good to sell off to anyone.
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Oct 4, 2012 8:46 AM

Im just going to read No longer Human instead. I hope to buy the rest of Bungaku Shoujo later

Feb 15, 2013 10:26 AM

Man those books are so good, i always have to read the entire book in one go.
Looking forward to the 2 last ones more than ever now :)

Aug 13, 2013 12:00 PM

In case anyone was still waiting on it - volume 2 is listed as in stock for £5.31 (free shipping anywhere) on aphrohead here: http://aphrohead.com/Product/Detail/24928036
Modified by kuuderes_shadow, Aug 13, 2013 12:40 PM
*that there is data for

Aug 27, 2013 7:13 PM
If someone else is looking for them:

I, too, manged to get every available volume. I ordered some at BookDepository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Girl-Suicidal-Mime-Mizuki-Nomura/9780316076906) and some at Books etc. (http://www.booksetc.co.uk/books/view/book-girl-and-the-famished-spirit-9780316076920).

Jun 15, 2014 2:00 PM

I just finished reading this series.
Good stuff but I'm really disappointed that Inoue ended up breaking up with Kotobuki because he had a change of heart for Tohko. I really hate the first girl wins trope when it's forced like that (especially when it was really cute and natural how Inoue and Kotobuki got together, while Tohko was just there in the background as someone who magically saves the day at the end of each book). He didn't even get with Tohko after that (with the them not talking for 6 years). Bittersweet and disappointing ending I guess.

(I'm refering to the light novels of course, not sure what the status of the manga series are)