Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 29, 2016 7:37 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hinata is just adorable in this show. This episode also made me a bit hungry with all the ways they were making food.

A bit of baseball themes as well while the show still retains a good amount of realism and emotions. Rei's chemistry with the girls still remain charming imo.
Oct 29, 2016 7:39 AM

Apr 2014
Love seeing the sisters all together interacting with Rei. I feel like he is more human now then he was 3 episodes ago. A lot of expressive voice acting. And man Momo is cute as ever. A very family moment. Oh my the comedy was def amazing!!! You can tell Rei is feeling uncomftable but at the same time opening up. Its great seeing how the sister interact and how they feel about each other. Another relastic trait being displayed in this anime.

Amazing faces throughout the entire episode!!!!! HanaKana really bought her A game.

Oh do we see a bit of love interest oh oh oh!

But damn it gets deep as fuck...holy. shit. seems like Rei was raped as a child.

Nice to see Onodera not being able to cook

Overall another wonderful episode. Glad we see more characters getting the development they need and the crazy part is that its only been 4 episodes thus far.

moodieOct 29, 2016 7:45 AM
Oct 29, 2016 10:43 AM

Feb 2015
Such a lovely series. Though that rapey flash back is concerning.
Oct 29, 2016 10:45 AM

Jan 2012
Very food-centric outing. Poor Hina, her bento could have gone better. Meanwhile Harunobu and his plump, mascot-esque physique scored big points with Momo and Akari(whose got some nice, plump things of her own), lucky bastard! XD
Oct 29, 2016 11:01 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode, Was so much fun to watch. :D All those blushing faces were so cute.

Loved the family interactions in the beginning. That argument about spending money for another person when Rei was sitting right there must have been so awkward, Yet at the same time it's also more of the fact that they didn't consider him an outsider which was really sweet.
The part with Momo asking if Rei was someone's else kid and not her big brother was so cute and also reinforces the fact that they all consider Rei more of family. Akari can't just leave strays alone after all, I suppose that does explain the cats as well.

Those blushing Hina faces were so adorable, Sadly her first love doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Was also very nice to see how Akari was in the exact same situation as Hina in the past.
The food was bad, XD I actually never considered that until I saw the cats on the floor after tasting.

That flashback in the middle though transient was very intense. Just what happened to Rei? :O

Akari fawning over Harunobu's round, plump structure was so cute and hilarious. XD
Lelouch0202Oct 29, 2016 11:05 AM
Oct 29, 2016 11:14 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Rei got a real shitty past, man he also got abused in some way.
Oct 29, 2016 11:43 AM

Jan 2015
Great episode. As someone said in the previous thread, I care more about the family's scenes than the shogi's ones
Oct 29, 2016 12:03 PM

Sep 2014
There were a couple of good moments but otherwise this wasn't an interesting episode. Still, decent slice of life fun I guess. This show ranges from being one of the best things ever to slightly above average. Pretty weird.
NeromonOct 29, 2016 12:26 PM
Oct 29, 2016 12:13 PM

Sep 2015
First episode was excellent. But like everyone else has mentioned, that flashback is deeply disturbing. (ಥ﹏ಥ)

Second half did lighten up the mood, but the change over would've been more palatable if I took a commercial break in between. Sigh, I can't win, can I?

fear me, wretched nobs and clods alike, for i am fabulous - nyan.
Oct 29, 2016 12:27 PM

Nov 2009
Oh, finally a little of Kyouko, Rei's not very healthy love for her and the most controversial panel of the manga animated. Can't wait for Kyouko to show up in the show proper and not just in the flashback.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Oct 29, 2016 12:28 PM

Nov 2015
All the food made me hungry.

Oct 29, 2016 12:55 PM

Aug 2015
Wait til next episode to see who Kyouko (flashback girl) is. You'll be surprised.
Oct 29, 2016 12:56 PM

Apr 2014
The subs for this show continue to annoy me but that's not at all the anime's fault itself.
Great episode as always, still moving a bit slow for my taste but everything is being adapted with the attention and care it needs.
Oct 29, 2016 1:48 PM

Jun 2014
This show is so pleasant to watch. It always puts me in a good mood, a nice and comfy slice of life. Sometimes it is depressing-ish though.
:3
Oct 29, 2016 1:58 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Neromon said:
This show ranges from being one of the best things ever to slightly above average. Pretty weird.

Yep. I can't decide whether Rei is somber or lighthearted, whether the overall theme is serious or comedic, or just what lens I should watch this through. It feels like the director didn't quite know either so we get little tastes of different moods throughout. But that's not a bad thing really since life similarly is made of a patchwork of moments each with their flavor and color. Some are uncomfortable, some are wacky, and some are all too heartbreaking. But now that I consider it, 3-gatsu is all the better for it. Those "slightly above average" moments seem to make the story more comfortable and real than if we were kept at the same distance and mood throughout.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 29, 2016 1:58 PM

Aug 2016
I REALLY liked the first half of this episode, really wanne know more about that scene with that girl.... Seems intresting :o
Nanika ga Okashii
Oct 29, 2016 2:04 PM

Oct 2013
Another great episode.
Oct 29, 2016 2:35 PM

Sep 2014
kyoudai said:
Neromon said:
This show ranges from being one of the best things ever to slightly above average. Pretty weird.

Yep. I can't decide whether Rei is somber or lighthearted, whether the overall theme is serious or comedic, or just what lens I should watch this through. It feels like the director didn't quite know either so we get little tastes of different moods throughout. But that's not a bad thing really since life similarly is made of a patchwork of moments each with their flavor and color. Some are uncomfortable, some are wacky, and some are all too heartbreaking. But now that I consider it, 3-gatsu is all the better for it. Those "slightly above average" moments seem to make the story more comfortable and real than if we were kept at the same distance and mood throughout.

This is a compelling argument, but I just wish the transition didn't feel as awkward and the humor was toned down. That would make the show a decent bit better imo.
Oct 29, 2016 2:50 PM

Jul 2014
..this is pretty much a really good adaptation of the manga...it's maybe lacking a bit on the humor undertone...but it's still one of the most 'artful' show ... I've ever seen...

Hoping it to get better and better...!!
Oct 29, 2016 2:55 PM

May 2015
Entertaining and highly enjoyable episode. Felt like it was over in an instant. I hope we get to learn more about Rei's past soon, since each episode makes me even more curious, especially after today's flashback.

Oct 29, 2016 3:03 PM

May 2013
interesting and heartwarming episode.
I loved how they make momo's expression looks cute as hell.

and for those who already read manga know how this episode makes big influences for Kiriyama to attracted and understand affection between peoples.
Oct 29, 2016 3:14 PM

Dec 2012
Wonderful episode. Bump of Chicken doing the OP & ED song is so amazing. Love listening to it.
The moon shots are stunning & beautiful in the night sky.

The family dynamics between the Kawaoto Sisters is so fun to see. Rei is so lucky to have them in his life.

Poor Hina not able to give her Bento to Takahashi. Probably for the best since it didn't taste that good, but she can improve for next time.

Nikaidou's enthusiasm is great to see. Such a great friend to Rei.
LOL MecBurger & Bodoro.

Momo is the cutest & seeing Akari blush was wonderful.
LOL the Butler has a GPS.

Lovely End Card.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 29, 2016 3:18 PM

Jul 2014
Decent episode this week, I guess.
Oct 29, 2016 3:25 PM

May 2015
More lightehearted than last weeks ep. Best part was Hina panicking when she was making that bento
Oct 29, 2016 4:45 PM

Sep 2015
Another good episode of my weekly dose of 3-gates no Lion
Oct 29, 2016 4:48 PM

Apr 2011
Aww this was more of a chill episode I didn't mind it was still cute and Hina is so kawaiiness.
Oct 29, 2016 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, very calm and meandering. Nothing specific to look forward to.
Oct 29, 2016 5:59 PM

May 2015
It's refreshing to see characters with a real sense of humanity to them. Also, Hina is adorable.
Oct 29, 2016 6:09 PM

Aug 2015
It was a pretty lighthearted episode if we ignore some of those ambiguous flashbacks...
Oct 29, 2016 6:20 PM

Jun 2013
So here they're basically showing different events and Rei's take on them. Last week we had them dealing with the right way to mourn and here Hina is dealing with her crush on a cool guy in her school. She makes lunch for him, screws up a lot, but is unable to give it to him. And Rei has had some pretty messed up experiences in his life. And he's probably learned to stay away from shit like this.

Lol Akari loves soft and round things and took an instant liking to the ball of fat. I like how they showed him trying to hold himself back from eating too much protein, even though he really wants to, because of his disease. Lol his butler tracks him down by GPS and Bodoro thinks it's magic.

Really liking the character interactions here. The comedy is so good here. And all that shaftness makes things even more funny at times. Showing Harunobu from different angles when he was saying something stupid lol. And we're getting to know more about what kind of weird experiences Rei has had in his life so far.
Oct 29, 2016 6:32 PM
May 2016
Somewhat refreshing and lighthearted episode. Hina did try her best, well its better she didn't give the bento, look what happened to the cats. Though that flashback, is Rei been abused? kinda intriguing. A second half with Nikaidou, Akari's weakness, soft and fluffy. Looking forward for the next episode.
Oct 29, 2016 6:43 PM
Oct 2016
Hey guys! We have a special post about 3 gatsu no lion! It's about the real shogi players that inspired the creation of the characters and other curiosities about the show! Check it out: http://luxasblog.com/facts-that-make-anime-interesting/
hiluxasDec 2, 2016 6:56 AM
Oct 29, 2016 6:56 PM

Aug 2010
Really enjoyable episode. The whole major cast has been great. I enjoy every second of them.

Nikaidou... hard not to like this guy.
Oct 29, 2016 7:11 PM
Aug 2016
it was a lovely episode , the more i watch the i am becoming the fan of this anime
Oct 29, 2016 7:35 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode. I know your feel hinata "kokoro ga itai.." :'(
Still looking for the romance
Oct 29, 2016 9:03 PM

Oct 2011
His past looks painful... I wonder what other things those people did to him...

But this episode was cute and funny. Akari sure love cute & chubby things. xD

And I love to see Kiriyama and Nikaidou interactions. Kiriyama looks so alive when they're together. lol
Oct 29, 2016 9:50 PM

Jun 2013
Somehow i end up loving this more and more every episode!
Is a shame that this is so underrated.
Oct 30, 2016 12:23 AM

Mar 2013
great episode, Hina try her best to create that lunch for Takahashi give that lunch to me! meow~
hina and the cats are so cute.
good thing that Kiriyama is adding some furnitures in his apartment
honokiOct 30, 2016 12:29 AM
Oct 30, 2016 1:17 AM

Jan 2008
Now I am more eager to know what happened in Kiriyama's past. Hina can't cook and Akari loves chubby things. Could there be more between Nikaidou and Akari? xD
Oct 30, 2016 1:33 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Neromon said:
This is a compelling argument, but I just wish the transition didn't feel as awkward and the humor was toned down. That would make the show a decent bit better imo.
I agree with you mostly. It definitely needs better transitions. In real life, we have these boring periods between dramatic events which serve as emotional buffers and transitions, so nothing ever feels too extreme or out of place. You can't do that in fiction, though. The humorous scenes do detract from what I think will be an overall serious (possibly heavy) story, but I'm willing to overlook that as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
Oct 30, 2016 1:35 AM

Aug 2013
First half was priceless. The best episode for now. My rating is rising up.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 30, 2016 1:48 AM

Jul 2014
So, er, Rei got... raped by that woman, right? Oh boy. I wonder how long it'll be until the series really touches on that properly, as that is some extremely sensitive subject matter to be dealing with if my assumption is correct.
Oct 30, 2016 3:34 AM

Sep 2013
I didn't liked this episode,clearly too focused on the secondary character and all these humor scenes damn...

Still its a 23 eps anime and they have all the time they need to refocus on the main character so i will pardon these "not really important episodes" i just hope there will not be that much.
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 30, 2016 3:51 AM

Jul 2009
Seeing Akari and Hina fighting in the first part was cute. It reminded me of how my sister and I were (and still are) fighting. For Rei it must have been VERY awkward though, he was so silent peeling those chestnuts, not knowing how to act or what to say. But as someone else has mentioned already it just means that girls don't treat him like a stranger, they consider him as a member of the family in some way.

I smiled when Akari said their mother said to her the exact same thing she said to Hina now. Hina and Momo are lucky to have a sister like her, a sister who cares about them so much and tries to make as happy and normal home for them as much as she can. The one thing that bothers me though is how is she going to find a boyfriend and start her own family in the future if she spends almost all of her time being a mother to her sisters?

Seems like Rei was sexually abused in the past. God, how much that poor boy must have suffered...
Oct 30, 2016 6:40 AM

Oct 2016
another heart warming episode , i am bit curious about the girl in Rei's flashback thou :v .. but demmet the 3 sisters will always have a room in my heart, they are so relaxing to watch ..
Oct 30, 2016 7:16 AM

May 2015
Well, another great episode. Felling the storm is coming though. Poor Rei - he has some issues. :(
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 30, 2016 7:23 AM

Mar 2013
It was boring episode for most of the part.
So we get another insight of Rei's past.
Oct 30, 2016 8:38 AM

May 2015
Another great episode. The first part in particular was great. I loved the sisters' interactions and poor Hina working so hard on that bento only for her to not be able to give it to Takahashi and for it to taste bad.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 30, 2016 8:58 AM

Dec 2014
hinata's crush and hat chubby closeup though lol...

I kinda liked the sound with the backup emotions.... Badump and stufff
Oct 30, 2016 9:09 AM

Apr 2014
ropiel said:
I didn't liked this episode,clearly too focused on the secondary character and all these humor scenes damn...

Still its a 23 eps anime and they have all the time they need to refocus on the main character so i will pardon these "not really important episodes" i just hope there will not be that much.
the fact that u think the sisters are just secondary just means that u will hate this show because they are as much of a main character as Rei
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.