Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 29, 2016 4:38 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
People generally tell me that my grammar is terrible, but when I read every message I read in English, I don't even tell what is wrong. Are they rules to know? Do they matter that much? And especially what is included in the grammar?

Oct 29, 2016 4:43 AM

Aug 2016
uh well grammar is usually only important in a professional situation (at least, to a degree). As long as you can speak/write in a way that people can understand what you're saying, it doesn't really matter.
Oct 29, 2016 4:45 AM

Aug 2013
If I can understand you; we cool.

But

Just a touch of a typing accent can actually be kinda cute. That's probably just me, though.
People who grew up speaking english are the only ones who are gonna be able to tell when it's slight enough to be cute at any rate.

You can spot bad grammar from someone who actually speaks english a mile away too. That's almost always a bit of a put off for whatever reason.

Someone out there gets what I'm talking about I'm sure.
Oct 29, 2016 4:47 AM

Jan 2015
Here, let me fix the grammar in your post, and change the wording as well to make the sentence flow better.

People generally tell me that my grammar is terrible, but when I read my English, I can't even tell what is wrong. Are there any rules to follow? Do they matter much?

And I don't really understand what you're specifically trying to say with your last sentence.
Oct 29, 2016 4:52 AM
Nov 2013
Grammar matters in the aspect that the other person or people hearing what you have to say can make sure they know what you are talking about.

There are a lot of grammatical rules in the English language... They're a little hard to explain, but someone who speaks English fluently for example would be able to tell that your writing is very wordy.

For example, in this post alone, "every message I read in English" should be "every message I wrote in English"... "I don't even tell" should be "I can't even tell", and "Are they rules to know" should be "Are there rules to know?"

Your grammar is good enough that your point gets across to the other person though. So if you don't feel the need to improve your grammar, that's fine.
Oct 29, 2016 8:25 AM

Jun 2015
Grammar isn't something that you can get by reading or memorizing a few rules, it's something you pick up when you immerse yourself in the language. Now, of course you can read about all the grammatical rules in the English language, but there are chances that you will still make mistakes. Those mistakes are eliminated when you read a lot, listen to the language etc. I don't have the commitment, desire or the time to memorize all of the English grammar rules, but it's something that I inherently know because of reading books as a kid and whatnot. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually.
Oct 29, 2016 8:38 AM

Sep 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax
Old dudes in universities like Oxford define grammar. If you want to learn proper grammar, buy a textbook, or take an English class (English classes are pretty bad; most would probably require two levels to actually learn all of the relevant rules)

Insanius said:
Grammar isn't something that you can get by reading or memorizing a few rules, it's something you pick up when you immerse yourself in the language. Now, of course you can read about all the grammatical rules in the English language, but there are chances that you will still make mistakes. Those mistakes are eliminated when you read a lot, listen to the language etc. I don't have the commitment, desire or the time to memorize all of the English grammar rules, but it's something that I inherently know because of reading books as a kid and whatnot. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually.

It's pretty obvious that you're wrong when your grammar's also wrong.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 29, 2016 9:02 AM

Jun 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax
Old dudes in universities like Oxford define grammar. If you want to learn proper grammar, buy a textbook, or take an English class (English classes are pretty bad; most would probably require two levels to actually learn all of the relevant rules)

Insanius said:

It's pretty obvious that you're wrong when your grammar's also wrong.

Lol, I'm not perfect. However, you cannot deny how helpful learning more about the language is.
Oct 29, 2016 9:11 AM

Jun 2016
Grammer: the whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including inflections) and sometimes also phonology and semantics.

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
7 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 7 hours ago

6 by Nemo_Niemand »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

20 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.