Forum Settings
Forums

Do you ever feel like anime fans are too nerdy?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 29, 2016 10:33 AM

Feb 2015
I don't know if that's true or not. I've never really been had a conversation about anime in real life.
Oct 29, 2016 10:33 AM

Mar 2016
Do you ever feel like 21 should stop posting random things?
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 29, 2016 10:41 AM

Feb 2016
21 said:
I'm a long time anime fan, but When talking to me you would never guess I was hardcore anime freak-a-leak. Anyways, I recently went to my first anime convention hoping to meet like minded individuals and all I found was nerdy, sad individuals whose worlds revolve around 1 thing, Japanese cartoons. Like come on do you like sports, do you like film, art? No I just like naruto and little 8 year old girls but I can only enjoy them in anime since it's illegal in 3D world

I know what you mean although I also agree with everybody else that you won't be finding the people you are looking at anime conventions lol basically what happened to me was that almost everybody I met in real life who was into anime were not really taking care of themselves (not showering for a long time, shaving or just smelling bad generally) most of them also had very hateful and bitter personalties from this point on I kinda avoided talking to people irl about anime I don't want to generalize but I haven't been proven otherwise either yet
Oct 30, 2016 1:40 AM

May 2015
Lyrel said:
21 said:
I'm a long time anime fan, but When talking to me you would never guess I was hardcore anime freak-a-leak. Anyways, I recently went to my first anime convention hoping to meet like minded individuals and all I found was nerdy, sad individuals whose worlds revolve around 1 thing, Japanese cartoons. Like come on do you like sports, do you like film, art? No I just like naruto and little 8 year old girls but I can only enjoy them in anime since it's illegal in 3D world

I know what you mean although I also agree with everybody else that you won't be finding the people you are looking at anime conventions lol basically what happened to me was that almost everybody I met in real life who was into anime were not really taking care of themselves (not showering for a long time, shaving or just smelling bad generally) most of them also had very hateful and bitter personalties from this point on I kinda avoided talking to people irl about anime I don't want to generalize but I haven't been proven otherwise either yet

You should come to Israel. Anime fans here are some of the most happy, accepting people you can find.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 30, 2016 1:45 AM

Feb 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Lyrel said:

You should come to Israel. Anime fans here are some of the most happy, accepting people you can find.

Well not so much in my city :/ I have also heard from other people they are a lot better off than I am it would be nice if I could talk about anime in irl but I don't feel like this will be happening anytime soon
Nov 27, 2016 7:05 AM

Jun 2016
I agree with you,it may be because most are virgins. As soon as they get laid they will forget about those dumb waifu things.
Nov 27, 2016 7:12 AM

Aug 2014
DiangeloKun18 said:
I agree with you,it may be because most are virgins. As soon as they get laid they will forget about those dumb waifu things.

as soon as you touch a football you will forget about this dumb "watching sports" thing
Nov 27, 2016 7:13 AM

Jun 2013
Well you probably have bad luck at meeting people, because i've been in anime conventions and i only find cool people who are open minded.
Nov 27, 2016 7:15 AM
Dec 2015
Yes, but nobody have to be social. I think it is choice and i choose be asocial and i like it.
Nov 27, 2016 8:27 AM
Sep 2014
its either nerds or guys who take pictures in underwear. very disappointing.
Nov 27, 2016 8:34 AM

Jun 2015
Time to read some comments boys. Weebs vs normies.
weebs
Nov 27, 2016 10:46 AM

Jun 2016
demonskul777 said:
DiangeloKun18 said:

as soon as you touch a football you will forget about this dumb "watching sports" thing

Are you retarded? add this q to your FAQ.
Nov 27, 2016 10:50 AM

Aug 2014
DiangeloKun18 said:
demonskul777 said:

Are you retarded? add this q to your FAQ.

Are you a bee?

That statement has about as much of a basis as yours.
Nov 27, 2016 10:52 AM

Jul 2014
Not really. Whenever I tell people that I love anime, they give me a puzzled look. I'm obsessed with sports (playing and watching), so people often categorize me as an athlete and nothing more, so I suppose I don't look nerdy. They're shocked when they find out that I'm constantly watching anime, reading manga, playing video games, writing novels/short stories, and other "nerdy" things. I mean, when I go running on the treadmill at the gym, I'm always watching anime on my phone, so why are they so surprised when I tell them? What do they think I'm watching? xD
Anyway, they usually believe me after I show them some of my "nerdy" tattoos, hahaha.

So, long story short: No, I don't think anime fans are too nerdy.
But, there's always an exception, of course.
Nov 27, 2016 12:22 PM

Nov 2016
I don't know any real life anime fans, but that's sadly my impression from the obvious fans I've seen around. I remember a couple of girls at my school would dress up like characters and look like freak shows. I mean, there's a time and place for everything..
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Nov 27, 2016 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
I think a good comparison would be to Japan. Consider that most young people in Japan watch anime and read manga, but rarely identify as otaku. It's just a normal thing.

Then compare to America. Weebs, super otakus, cosplaying conventions(every damn one, some make 3-4 costumes for a single show), elitists, damn elitists.

It's a huge difference and I get what OP is saying. There's a huge difference between being an anime lover and what we westerners do as nerdy. There's a difference between enjoying a show and making it your life.
removed-userNov 27, 2016 12:33 PM
Nov 27, 2016 1:03 PM

Nov 2016
I don't think there's anything wrong with being passionate about your interests, sure there are those that can be obsessive but that's really not a bad thing. It just means they've found something they can enjoy talking about with others. If that's not the kind of person you'd like to be talking to, then just avoid those kinds of situations and go for something more low-key, like finding IRL friends who can enjoy both anime and other hobbies like yourself.

Though admittedly I also don't have many IRL friends who are into anime as much as I am so I mostly just stick to online discussions, I'm fine with it that way since online friends are great too.
Nov 27, 2016 8:13 PM

Nov 2016
Well, ofc people would talk about anime at an anime convention. And just like anime, people can be really passionate for anything else such as Harry Potter, DC Comics, etc. And there is nothing wrong with that.
"Stop pitying yourself. Pity yourself, and life will become an endless nightmare."
Nov 27, 2016 8:17 PM

Aug 2008
Yes they are. Anime fans are usually very nerdy but not all of them of course.

I think elitist and critic will be the nerdiest one while casual will be the least nerdiest
ZapredonNov 28, 2016 1:29 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 27, 2016 9:36 PM

Nov 2009
martiooo said:
I think a good comparison would be to Japan. Consider that most young people in Japan watch anime and read manga, but rarely identify as otaku. It's just a normal thing.

Then compare to America. Weebs, super otakus, cosplaying conventions(every damn one, some make 3-4 costumes for a single show), elitists, damn elitists.

It's a huge difference and I get what OP is saying. There's a huge difference between being an anime lover and what we westerners do as nerdy. There's a difference between enjoying a show and making it your life.

I think you're suffering from Spotlight Fallacy here. There are plenty of people who enjoy anime, but the most visible ones are naturally the most extreme ones.
Nov 27, 2016 9:54 PM
Feb 2014
The elitist/reviewer community comes off as too nerdy to me. Otherwise, I don't think so.
Nov 27, 2016 10:19 PM

Aug 2016
>Glances at OP's profile pic

Oh, I see.

Now, I know this may come as a shock to you, but people like to talk about things they have in common. It's like if you walk into a concert and everyone is talking about the band. Should that be a surprise? At all? To like, anyone?
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Nov 27, 2016 10:21 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah, just like Star Trek nerds.

Lmao jk, no not really.
Nov 28, 2016 12:39 AM

Nov 2009
> Do you ever feel like anime fans are too nerdy?
No, anime fans are nerdy enough. My kind of people. It's the OP who is a dirty reajuu that has no place here.
[/evil]
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 48 minutes ago

9 by Dumb »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 23 minutes ago

4 by iThink »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

160 by Saiunknown »»
10 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

35 by SignsOfSuicide »»
19 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

27 by Mishiia »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.