Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2016 4:43 AM

Aug 2015
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So, this is the end of the volume, huh? Well, kind of expected more to happen. The guy Shima-kun fell in love with seems to suspect something after Misora-san insulted him at the firework display. Having to wait til late August next year will be annoying as hell, but I guess I'll have to wait. Nontheless, great art yet again and an awesome second volume.
Chicken is love, chicken is life ~ ♥
Oct 27, 2016 5:04 AM
Jul 2013
After reading this chapter I think I might have a grasp of what happened with Misora in chapter 9.

So a couple of factors probably happened to cause Misora to lash out like that. I'm going to list them out because I don't think I can articulate them in prose.
Firstly just a recap:
- So Misora in chapter 8 or 9 has been questioning their gender for a while.
- All Misora knows about their gender is that they are happy when presenting female, and that they don't want to go through male puberty. But they are unsure if that makes them a 'girl' or not.
- While Misora has interacted with the people inside the lounge in a female presentation, they have not done so in public.
- So what Tasuku did by asking them to come with him to the fireworks festival is essentially giving them the opportunity to present female in public and see if that is affirming of their gender.

Before I talk about the remaining, there's a little detour. While what Tasuku did was actually a good thing trying to help Misora explore their gender. But exploration a bit paradoxical when it comes to trans people. Because while doing things to confirm one's gender can make that person more sure of themselves, it can also easily trigger heavy dysphoria when external factors are involved. These triggers can be a lot of things. In Misora's case, it seems to be multiple things from what I'm seeing in this chapter:
1. Envy for their sisters feminity and also being deprived of a childhood as a girl
2. Angst over knowing that despite everybody saying they look cute as a girl, with puberty coming soon their body will change in a way that they don't want it to.

Anyway, getting back on track now. So just as Misora was getting somewhere with figuring themselves out ("I think, I wanted to do stuff like this" meaning just be a regular girl), they get groped and that throw everything off balance. Top this off with them running into Misora's beautiful sisters etc. Misora in a vunerable state, then turns to Tasuku for reassurance and he throws in the worse phrase he could've said in that situation. That is a recipe for a disaster.

The purge in this chapter (Misora giving all the clothes back to the lounge) is of huge significance. It's pretty much Misora going completely into denial and trying to block everything out. D:

I probably didn't cover even half of what was going on, and you totally beat me to starting this discussion Accelerity.

Edit: Whoa whoa whoa, just accidentally stumbled across the discussions on Dynasty Scans, and some of the theories suggest that Misora might be non-binary and maybe even ace? As they look up to Anonymous. This is entirely possible because the mangaka is ace and nb. Although I guess it is all still conjecture at this point, and nothing will be concrete until more chapters come out.
YTkDec 11, 2016 6:34 PM
Oct 27, 2016 5:09 AM
Jul 2013
Accelority said:
Having to wait til late August next year will be annoying as hell, but I guess I'll have to wait. Nontheless, great art yet again and an awesome second volume.

Nah, I'll most likely be picking up a copy of hi-bana every two months.
Oct 27, 2016 5:52 AM

Aug 2015
YTk said:

That's a nice thing if you can read japanese/live in Japan. Btw, according to Hachimitsu scans, chapter 11 came out already earlier this month. :)
Oct 27, 2016 6:03 AM
Jul 2013
Accelority said:
YTk said:

That's a nice thing if you can read japanese/live in Japan. Btw, according to Hachimitsu scans, chapter 11 came out already earlier this month. :)

Yeah, I had a quick peek at some spoilers just now :p.
For your curiosity:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/gogo_konomichi/archives/49728496.html
Oct 27, 2016 1:50 PM

Aug 2015
YTk said:

Yeah, I had a quick peek at some spoilers just now :p.
For your curiosity:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/gogo_konomichi/archives/49728496.html

That's nice, but I can't understand a thing xD And the google translate doesn't help at all.
All I could get from it was
Oct 27, 2016 6:56 PM

Oct 2014
How often do chapters come out for this?

And what Takusu's crush at the end said was pretty nice. He still called him 'a friend' despite the possibility of him being gay so any chances of him being a bigot are gone hopefully :)
Oct 27, 2016 8:35 PM
Apr 2013
pereeia said:
How often do chapters come out for this?

It's bi-monthly so once every two months or 6 chapters per year.
Aug 29, 2018 9:35 AM

Jul 2010
Anyway, getting back on track now. So just as Misora was getting somewhere with figuring themselves out ("I think, I wanted to do stuff like this" meaning just be a regular girl), they get groped and that throw everything off balance. Top this off with them running into Misora's beautiful sisters etc. Misora in a vulnerable state, then turns to Tasuku for reassurance and he throws in the worse phrase he could've said in that situation. That is a recipe for a disaster.

Agreed. Tasuku basically wound up blaming Misora for having been groped, even though it wasn't Misora's fault at all. It's easy to see why Misora flipped his shit and called him our for his insensitivity. I do feel kind of bad for the both of them, though.
Feb 22, 2019 12:21 AM

Dec 2011

^Yeah, ok, but I'd just like to point out that Misora's gender identity (and sexual orientation) is never confirmed. And it is left ambiguous on purpose. Because Misora might identify as female, or male, or agender, or nonbinary. The point is: how a person presents themselves does not correlate to a specific identity or sexuality. Likewise the opposite is also true. Don't try to put a label on a person because they have those characteristics. And just because a person identifies as something doesn't mean they will posses all/any of the stereotypes of their label. It's like saying "all effeminate men are gay" or "all gay men are effeminate."

Apr 29, 2019 10:02 AM

Jun 2015
I hope the ending is a hint that he returns the feelings tasuku has
Mar 1, 2021 11:59 AM

Jun 2014
There's nothing that Tasuku can do for Misora at the moment. He simply needs to give Misora some time alone.

Meanwhile, Tsubaki seems interested in Tasuku, referring to him as a "friend."

May 11, 2021 10:44 AM

Aug 2018
Misora really needs to chill and think trough everything that happened

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 23 Discussion

Dullboy - May 23, 2018

31 by princesjelyfish »»
Feb 25, 2:37 AM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 20 Discussion

BlueKite - Apr 7, 2018

5 by princesjelyfish »»
Feb 25, 2:19 AM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 6 Discussion

YandereYuuya - Jul 6, 2017

3 by Zankrax »»
Feb 4, 5:58 PM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

5 by Zankrax »»
Feb 4, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

7 by Zankrax »»
Feb 4, 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.