Forum Settings
Forums
New
Winter tire or all seasons?
Oct 26, 2016 10:57 AM
Mar 2016
Do you use winters or all seasons? Why so. And pass all your input cuz i'm thunkin on buyin winters for lower insurance and other fun *wink*
Oct 26, 2016 11:13 AM

Jun 2014
Well, I don't drive, but I do put "Icegrips" on my shoes during the Winter, so I can jog over snow and ice without breaking my neck.

Oct 26, 2016 11:45 AM

Aug 2014
Since I don't own a car myself it isn't really something I concern myself with. My dad changed our family car's tires to winter tires not too long ago though.

What are all seasons tires? Just some kind of in between tires that you can use all year round?
Oct 26, 2016 12:42 PM

Aug 2016
A lot of people who really care about their vehicles will switch tires depending on the season.

I am not one of those people.
Oct 26, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2012
Ardanaz said:
What are all seasons tires? Just some kind of in between tires that you can use all year round?

They don't have that "icegrip" on the surface but has something to do with fraction. At least in Finland it's forbidden to use "real" winter tires with that icegrip surface during certain months but the other tires are allowed all year long. I am not an expert and that's all I've learned about tires. Not much lol.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Oct 26, 2016 2:01 PM

Aug 2014
annmaryjay said:
Ardanaz said:

They don't have that "icegrip" on the surface but has something to do with fraction. At least in Finland it's forbidden to use "real" winter tires with that icegrip surface during certain months but the other tires are allowed all year long. I am not an expert and that's all I've learned about tires. Not much lol.

Sounds interesting. Wonder if they're good enough to keep you safe in really bad snow or icy roads.
Oct 26, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2012
Ardanaz said:
annmaryjay said:

Sounds interesting. Wonder if they're good enough to keep you safe in really bad snow or icy roads.

Yes they work fine. Finland has quite extreme winter weather so good tires are needed.
Eight-Man said:

~ Murphy's 5th law
Oct 26, 2016 2:15 PM

Aug 2014
annmaryjay said:
Yes they work fine. Finland has quite extreme winter weather so good tires are needed.

So they're better than winter tires then?
Oct 26, 2016 2:21 PM

Jun 2012
Ardanaz said:
annmaryjay said:

So they're better than winter tires then?

If you think not switching tires twice a year makes them better because it's less work. Otherwise they are just as good, feels a bit different while driving in comparison imho.
Eight-Man said:

~ Murphy's 5th law
Oct 26, 2016 2:24 PM

Aug 2014
annmaryjay said:
If you think not switching tires twice a year makes them better because it's less work. Otherwise they are just as good, feels a bit different while driving in comparison imho.

Ah like that. Seems like something I'd do then as I'm lazy with stuff like that :P
Oct 26, 2016 2:59 PM

Jan 2012
annmaryjay said:

same here in Sweden
also if u don't have that , u will be stopped by police and need to pay fine

Oct 26, 2016 10:31 PM

Jun 2016
Winter tires, since the snow gets really bad sometimes up here in Canada
Oct 27, 2016 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
we hardly get enough snow for those to be essential at all
worst we get down here is maybe icy patches during winter, but it seldom actually snows.
Oct 27, 2016 1:39 AM

Apr 2016
winter tires. ! ! ! ! .. ! ..>.. !!!. .>!>.!>.
Oct 27, 2016 1:48 AM

Aug 2015
Nope. Down under winter tyres are not needed, except in the mountains.

But if I lived in a place where one would need to think about it, i would just buy a whole second set of wheels off ebay with the other type of tyres, and change wheels seasonally.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Oct 27, 2016 1:59 AM

Jan 2012
In UK there is little snow but on the other hand my current front tyres are shit, it bloody skids when from a stand still and secondly when turning a corner it understeers or the tyre is not griping the tarmac

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Oct 27, 2016 7:51 AM

May 2013
My family uses all season tires for every season that isn't winter. Once winter comes, we switch to winter tires.

Ardanaz said:
Since I don't own a car myself it isn't really something I concern myself with. My dad changed our family car's tires to winter tires not too long ago though.

Yes, all season tires can be used all year round. Typically there are three kinds of tires. Summer, Winter, and All Season. The difference in the tires are based on the grippy parts around it. If you live in areas with lots of rains and/or snow then it would be good to use all season as they have more grip to handle slippery surfaces. Winter tires are just an extra reinforcement as All Season tires wear down since they're used all year round.
UssesaOct 27, 2016 7:58 AM
Oct 27, 2016 7:58 AM

Jun 2016
We use winter tires on the family car during the winter obviously, and summer tires when there is basically no snow or slush.
This is the optimal way considering how both of them have different constructions which are optimal for different road conditions.Winter tires have noticeably worse grip on clear road conditions and summer tires obviously have bad grip on snow and such, which is potentially dangerous.I'm not really sure about all season tires considering they're not really a thing in my country.
Oct 27, 2016 12:56 PM

Jan 2009
I'll change them every Year with my Brother, because all our Cars have Summer and Winter Tires since it's a better Feeling of Driving in the Summer with Summer ones and a safer Feeling of Driving in the Winter with Winter ones.

clandestine said:
worst we get down here is maybe icy patches during winter, but it seldom actually snows.
Icy Patches are actually worse than Snow, as with the latter, People automatically drive slower and more carefully, but with Ice on the Streets, especially with Freezing Rain that causes Black Ice, which you can't see, you may act way too free and boom! you'll land in the Roadside Ditch before you can say "Slipper-Fitch!".
Oct 30, 2016 2:45 AM

Jun 2012
Btw do people still use chains around their tires anywhere else but in Middle Europe? Just curious, I haven't seen those anywhere else.
Eight-Man said:

~ Murphy's 5th law
Oct 30, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2009
And finished with changing Tires (Yesterday).

annmaryjay said:
Btw do people still use chains around their tires anywhere else but in Middle Europe? Just curious, I haven't seen those anywhere else.
I have neither seen nor used any Chains. Probably only common in mountainous Regions over here or in Northern Europe or in Russia.
Oct 30, 2016 1:37 PM

Jun 2016
annmaryjay said:

Never seen it before in Canada or heard of that
Oct 30, 2016 2:30 PM

Nov 2008
Winter tires? They aren't used outside of the mountains or on trucks in the lower 48, most people use chains if they need traction.

Oct 31, 2016 10:46 AM

Feb 2016
I use all season tires. The winter isn't severe enough to warrant an entire specialized set, and most employers here either shut down on snow days or allow telework.

annmaryjay said:

I heard they stopped allowing those in some states because they could damage the roads.
Oct 31, 2016 11:13 AM
Mar 2016
all seasons, the winter here is really lame
Oct 31, 2016 5:36 PM

Jul 2016
There is a scarily high risk that I would end up dead if I were to drive my car without winter tires in the autumn, winter and spring
Oct 31, 2016 6:00 PM

May 2013
haha, what? I've driven my camry out in snow lands before, just drive slow you don't really need special tires if your'e on the road...
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Oct 31, 2016 6:44 PM

Aug 2011
Well I live in Australia so ... HA HA HA HA HA winter :P
^_^
Nov 1, 2016 2:32 AM

Jul 2016
xrockxz89 said:
haha, what? I've driven my camry out in snow lands before, just drive slow you don't really need special tires if your'e on the road...

That definitely depends on where you drive/live, just because there's snow doesn't mean it's the same conditions. "Snow lands" aren't all the same.
Nov 1, 2016 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
It rarely snows where I live and since it barely snows Ice on the road is enough to shut down schools.
Nov 1, 2016 5:43 AM

Jul 2016
Bezaliel said:
It rarely snows where I live and since it barely snows Ice on the road is enough to shut down schools.

I always find it crazy when people from other countries tells me that their school were shut down because of snow or ice, wow.
Nov 1, 2016 9:58 AM

May 2013
Rottegift said:
xrockxz89 said:

That definitely depends on where you drive/live, just because there's snow doesn't mean it's the same conditions. "Snow lands" aren't all the same.

I realize that, but it was an area where winter weather can become pretty severe, Boone North Carolina (it's in a valley and due to wind patterns gets way worse winters than anywhere else that far south). It's not as intense as like North Dakota but it's a harsh winter for sure. The roads would often be totally covered in snow and slush.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Nov 1, 2016 10:24 AM

Jul 2016
xrockxz89 said:
Rottegift said:

I realize that, but it was an area where winter weather can become pretty severe, Boone North Carolina (it's in a valley and due to wind patterns gets way worse winters than anywhere else that far south). It's not as intense as like North Dakota but it's a harsh winter for sure. The roads would often be totally covered in snow and slush.

I have no idea of how the weather is over there, so I can't really picture that, sorry.
I live on a mountain in Norway, the roads here are narrow and despite this being a very rich country, the roads are absolutely awful. There is always extreme winters here, and there's alot of snowstorms. The roads here is often complete ice with many centimeters of snow, often powdersnow on top. The car loses grip even with winter tires, and that's no fun on a narrow road that is 8 km downhill, complete darkness and dangerously many meters straight down on one of the road. The roads here is also very different in the summer, so we don't actually have real all seasons tires
Nov 1, 2016 10:34 AM

May 2013
Rottegift said:
xrockxz89 said:

I have no idea of how the weather is over there, so I can't really picture that, sorry.
I live on a mountain in Norway, the roads here are narrow and despite this being a very rich country, the roads are absolutely awful. There is always extreme winters here, and there's alot of snowstorms. The roads here is often complete ice with many centimeters of snow, often powdersnow on top. The car loses grip even with winter tires, and that's no fun on a narrow road that is 8 km downhill, complete darkness and dangerously many meters straight down on one of the road. The roads here is also very different in the summer, so we don't actually have real all seasons tires

well that does sound worse. Knowing me i'd be a dumbass and not have the winter tires lol but yeah I'm sure they help. Just don't think too many people bothered with them in Boone :P
I CELEBRATE myself,
Nov 1, 2016 10:41 AM

Jul 2016
xrockxz89 said:
Rottegift said:

well that does sound worse. Knowing me i'd be a dumbass and not have the winter tires lol but yeah I'm sure they help. Just don't think too many people bothered with them in Boone :P

It's illegal to not drive with winter tires here though.. and there's a big chance you would die if you lived here
Nov 1, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2013
Rottegift said:
there's a big chance you would die if you lived here

if it's that dangerous it sounds like driving wouldn't even be a good idea, with or without added traction.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Nov 1, 2016 1:57 PM

Jan 2016
i only ever buy winter tires (who has enough to buy two sets for the seasons???)
Nov 1, 2016 2:28 PM

Jun 2012
Rottegift said:
xrockxz89 said:

It's illegal to not drive with winter tires here though.. and there's a big chance you would die if you lived here

I was thinking natural selection would do it's share here lol.
Eight-Man said:

~ Murphy's 5th law
Nov 2, 2016 11:03 AM

Sep 2013
I switch them according to the season. I've had winter tires on from last year though.
Forgot to change. Oh well.
One man's freedom is another man's terror.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 5 hours ago

9 by Adverrito »»
2 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 7 hours ago

16 by Rinrinka »»
11 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

52 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
24 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

24 by bevarnow »»
39 minutes ago

» I'm currently on a keto diet.

scarydragon - 6 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.