Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 26, 2016 8:25 AM
Feb 2016
If the animation was average with occasional Sakuga moments, what would your rating be for it then?

I feel like this movie is getting highly graded mostly for it's astounding animation and sounds, rather than it's overall direction in terms of plot.

Ad if it didn't look so great it wouldn't be scoring so high through the roof...

But what do you think?
For me:
Great visuals=8/10
Average visuals=7.5/10
2-2DistractedOct 26, 2016 5:11 PM
Oct 26, 2016 8:32 AM

Feb 2013
I gave it a 6/10 just because it had some good moments when they were switching bodies, that was funny.
The drama didn't get to me.
Oct 26, 2016 9:22 AM

Dec 2013
I gave it a 64/100 even with that amazing visual and music, the story should still be the main aspect afterall. This movie is the worst among Shinkai's works in story department. So without amazing visual and sound it'll go to lower 5 or upper 4.
Oct 26, 2016 11:02 AM
Dec 2015
You have ReZero scored with a 9 and SAO with a 7-8 and both are shit in visuals and everything else wtf are you talking about.
Oct 26, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2011
Lol many don't think like you as the movie success is still strong.I is dominating bot in viewers and currently top selling novel.
Oct 26, 2016 11:42 AM
Feb 2016
ArnauS197 said:
You have ReZero scored with a 9 and SAO with a 7-8 and both are shit in visuals and everything else wtf are you talking about.

Uhm... OK? (Lol although I will admit I don't frequent on MAL that much and therefore don't change my scores when I should, according to, you know... My Tastes.)
So are you gonna answer question or... give me the impression that you're trying(and failing) to be a dick?

Not even sure how what you said applies to my question since both mentioned are TV SERIES and Kimi no Na Wa is a MOVIE.

But hey I'm just an ignorant pleb. Shame on me amiright?
Oct 26, 2016 11:44 AM
Feb 2016
kaitonic said:
Lol many don't think like you as the movie success is still strong.I is dominating bot in viewers and currently top selling novel.

top selling novel? can you give me source if that no too much to ask?
Oct 26, 2016 1:35 PM
May 2014
Visuals extend beyond just aesthetic and looking at something nice. Especially in Shinkais other films, the visuals contribute a lot more to the overall work because he uses them to craft his characters, worlds, and story. It isn't just eye candy like in most anime. You take away Shinkais visual style and everything will immensely suffer because that is how he tells his story. It's what boosts him from any typical mediocre anime director who tells his basic ass story and colors it with visuals and animation that do nothing to actually help the overall work. Instead they use extremely heavy handed and amateur writing of characters and dialogue.

Shinkai is one of the greats in anime right now because he understands how amateur most of the storytellers in the format are and unlike all of them has his own style, even though you can tell he is influenced by western filmmakers like Terrence Malick and Andrei Tarkovsky. But he inserts a lot of anime influences as well and finds ways to show the surroundings as a prominent character itself and using poetic narrative voice over to add substance to his visuals.
Oct 26, 2016 4:55 PM

Apr 2014
Good story for me, happy end, i press 10/10.
Oct 26, 2016 6:23 PM

Jan 2015
2-2Distracted said:
kaitonic said:

top selling novel? can you give me source if that no too much to ask?

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=156427

OT : Personally I haven't watched it yet. Still waiting for the Bluray version
Oct 26, 2016 7:25 PM

Aug 2013
ArnauS197 said:

good point...

for me the movie is weak. 5/10
Oct 26, 2016 8:30 PM

Jun 2015
Wait, why are we trying to remove one of the most major components of what makes anime anime? I would highly rate an anime with literally no dialogue and the simplest plot that had beautiful art and animation highly because that's the artform. It's ani(mation)me. You can't just say what would your rating be if it weren't for the animation the same you can't say what would the rating be without any dialogue or plot. All of these things are extremely important and Kimi no na Wa is a masterpiece of animation. Hence it getting it's very well-deserved praise in addition to providing a simple, coherent and pleasant story.
Oct 27, 2016 12:01 PM
Feb 2016
drgy55 said:
Wait, why are we trying to remove one of the most major components of what makes anime anime? I would highly rate an anime with literally no dialogue and the simplest plot that had beautiful art and animation highly because that's the artform. It's ani(mation)me. You can't just say what would your rating be if it weren't for the animation the same you can't say what would the rating be without any dialogue or plot. All of these things are extremely important and Kimi no na Wa is a masterpiece of animation. Hence it getting it's very well-deserved praise in addition to providing a simple, coherent and pleasant story.

I wasn't trying to do that, I was simply curious what your rating would've been.
Oct 27, 2016 12:44 PM

Jun 2015
2-2Distracted said:
drgy55 said:

I wasn't trying to do that, I was simply curious what your rating would've been.

Fair enough, there's was a strong implication to me that art/animation is not as important as straight up story so I was kinda put off :P Without the art/animation factored in, it would definitely be lower. Hard to say, maybe 7/10? So much of the story is actually told visually without words, like that great scene where the dude (forget his name) walks into the center of the crater and drinks the sake. Some really cool birth/re-birth/metaphors stuck in there all just shown through the art. So without it... yah,it's just not the same anime at all.
Oct 27, 2016 2:47 PM
Mar 2013
Welp, Given that i watched in a semi bad quality, i was able to rate it without giving too much bias to the visuals. Story is Above average(?). Story wise, it's good. good, not great. I still gave it a 8 for that. Some parts were confusing and the ending still left quite a bad taste in my mouth as i was expecting a sort of closure.
Oct 27, 2016 3:56 PM

Apr 2016
The plot is pretty weak tbh, but it got overshadow by such visuals and music.
Oct 28, 2016 2:51 AM
Sep 2016
ArnauS197 said:

LMAO but my friend you need to understand that kids have opinions too.
Nov 10, 2016 6:17 AM
Feb 2015
I'm not one to be bothered by animation quality unless it's an action genre so either way, I still rate it as 5/10. Plotholes don't really bother me that much but once it became a forced romance and drama, then I'm out. My tears are not that cheap.

ArnauS197 said:

lol. XD
Nov 14, 2016 6:52 AM

Apr 2016
I agree the plot and the characters are pretty average. main characters are pretty cookie cutter characters but the animation, art and soundtrack are what the studio used to cover that up.

If I was going to use an analogy it would be that if anime was a soup the characters and story are the base of the soup. The main ingredients tomato carrot etc. while the animation and soundtrack and meant to just improve the overall flavor spice, seasoning etc. in the movies case, the main ingredients are basic and processed not fresh from the ground giving the soup an average texture and an uninspired taste. but the spices and seasoning used are completely top of the line stuff very expensive and exotic really refining the flavor of the soup and makes it look good but still does not change the texture and the originality of the soup. regular common customers will taste the soup and say its the best thing they have ever taste and only focus there ratings base on the taste forgetting the texture and the dull ingredients that are unrefined. whereas pro critics would appraise the taste but question the process of the orgininal ingredients.

but we know that these people are outnumbered by like 30 to 1 so it gets overrated

my personal scores
story 7
characters 7
sound 9
animation 10
enjoyment 7
overrall 8
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2016 5:21 PM

Aug 2013
>visual medium
>hey guis, what if the visuals were bad?

Lmao.
Nov 17, 2016 3:30 AM
Feb 2015
Toshiya_K said:
>visual medium
>hey guys what if the visuals were average?

Lmao.

There, fixed it for you. Although the Lmao part doesn't make sense now. :b
Nov 18, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2008
I saw it on a big screen and I was sitting a bit far to my liking so at least half the movie I was more focused on the plot itself so I can't really lower the score. So I still rate it 10/10. Had I been sitting closer to the screen where I could've enjoyed the visuals a lot more (I'm not saying I didn't from where I sat, it was still absolutely stunning throughout), I would probably rate it 100/10. Shinkai is my favorite director so I'm juuuuust a bit biased. Just a bit, hehe.
Nov 24, 2016 1:51 PM

Jul 2014
Agree with OP. After seeing it on the big screen and being awestruck by the visuals it can be easy to forget the problems, it's got a solid story but had some real glaring plotholes although I need to see it again. Still a solid 7 maybe 8 out of 10.
Nov 26, 2016 10:57 PM
Nov 2016
Okay, wait. I struggle to see the connection. This is an anime movie. Visuals are its core- lighting, colors, acting is all portrayed with the visuals. Visuals lead its plot, visuals are what orchestrates it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1385 by Takai_Shinji »»
11 hours ago

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

adharshcs - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.