Forum Settings
Forums

Would you be happy with only just a boring/normal job?

New
Oct 24, 2016 8:31 PM

Feb 2015
I was at the movie theater the other day, never actually worked at a movie theater to be honest but it occurred to me that's definitely IMO one of the better just kind of beginning jobs... at least compared to something like a restaurant and waiting tables which was my first job which was kinda overly stressful IMHO. Everyone I know that worked at like a theater had a pretty good time of it although weekends could be hard.

Honestly it seemed so good I was like.. why do you have to advance? I don't know, wouldn't it be fine to just be at like this normal kind of job/normal kind of life forever, if you didn't really lust after like power/influence or something..

That said, one friend left because it wasn't enough money basically... but like.. imagine it was enough money, at least for decently nice stuff, would you just deliver mail or whatever, like you would get enough money to basically live in a nice situation, have a girlfriend/boyfriend, etc, like, you just have a pretty humdrum sort of thing..

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 24, 2016 8:46 PM

Sep 2014
Working at a movie theater is nice, I've worked in one for about a week when a friend went on vacation and they needed a replacement. It certainly curb stomps working at a restaurant or Walmart. But why do people advance? Because minimum wage is not nearly enough for you to buy good shit. "Decent" is for the losers who don't want to experience a better life just because they keep using the excuse "My life is good enough at is, why ruin it."
Oct 24, 2016 8:53 PM

Jan 2009
i know that feel since i work on a public library before but my contract ended since i do not have a civil service eligibility at that time and the city government at that time was removing contractual employees to save more money, and i totally agree i just want a decent paying job to have some financial security through out the rest of my life even if that means not having my own family
Oct 24, 2016 8:55 PM

Jan 2011
Kefka1134 said:
but like.. imagine it was enough money, at least for decently nice stuff, would you just deliver mail or whatever, like you would get enough money to basically live in a nice situation, have a girlfriend/boyfriend, etc, like, you just have a pretty humdrum sort of thing..

Definitely, I like to of myself as a pretty simple person. I don't really want too much so getting enough money to pick some things that I want here and there and live comfortably would be cool with me.
Oct 24, 2016 9:44 PM

Jul 2012
I think I'd be okay if I had a good amount of GOOD social interactions on a daily basis. At my current, simple/boring job, I'm stuck with lots of older coworkers who's native language isn't English and they all talk like old people, while I still talk like a average teen pretty much, so it's quite impossible to have a good convo with them, so I'm usually just by and keeping things to myself which is boring.
Oct 25, 2016 9:28 AM

Mar 2015
I think living as a prostitute is pretty good, I mean all the sex :P
Oct 25, 2016 9:35 AM

Apr 2016
For me, as long as I am surrounded by good people I am happy. Even if I end up with a desk job, I'd be okay if the people around me were good people. Kinda like Wagnaria, I guess, it's less about the job and more about the coworkers.

Oct 25, 2016 9:50 AM

Oct 2012
i don't want to do a job for a long time where i feel like i'm doing the same thing every day, a job which i don't think is special in some way, or a job which sees the stagnation of my general pursuits

it's fine working a 'boring/ normal job' to gain a bit of experience that will allow me to progress to something else, or improve an artistic skill...

but there are a lot of things which i'd rather do than live a boring life and plenty of them could well mean a much shorter life

it wouldn't feel like i was really alive (´・・`)

but i'm not against anyone feeling differently (or my own options might decrease!)

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Oct 25, 2016 10:07 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Annoyin said:
I think living as a prostitute is pretty good, I mean all the sex :P

u right m8 at this r8 the money money money

Oct 25, 2016 10:13 AM

May 2012
I will never be happy until I get a sugar daddy and can quit working altogether.
Oct 25, 2016 11:59 AM

Sep 2014
I wouldn't care as long as my job is related to my fields of study and have a stable income.
Oct 25, 2016 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
Unless I win the lottery and retire early then naw I won't be happy.

With my current job I'm content.
Oct 25, 2016 2:30 PM

Nov 2009
I'm in art school specifically because I don't want a "normal job." Of course, the things being listed on this thread mostly sound to me like jobs and not careers. Some people choose to make those things their careers, which is cool, but I could never think of being a cashier or waiting tables as a career.

I think "normal jobs" are fine for a lot of people. It's simpler and you probably won't need to go to college if it's not your thing, however you probably won't make much money unless your company has a lot of room for growth. Some people are fine with that, though.

I prefer something more interesting and flexible, which (to me) the art field most certainly is. Even if I don't make much money, at least I'll be doing what I love instead of something I consider thankless and boring.
Oct 25, 2016 2:34 PM

Oct 2007
I worked as a carer on minimum wage until the beginning of this year, and I loved it because of my staff and clients. I earned less than I do now, but I was happier.
Oct 25, 2016 2:52 PM

Mar 2014
That sounds like shit tbh. I would hate to do the same thing my whole life, especially something that easy and boring, I'd be dead inside. People need stress, goals, advancement, not stagnation.
Oct 25, 2016 2:54 PM

Sep 2016
I would need a job that would be enjoyable and that i could be happy coming to, if it wasn't i'd be out of there.

Instagram: qtchriss
Steam: sora
Discord: sora#0420

Oct 25, 2016 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
Happy? No. I'd be happy getting payed for a job in a field that i love.
Satisfied? Yes. It brings money, and you kinda need that shit.
Oct 25, 2016 3:02 PM
Mar 2016
I really like your OP Kefka! From my Experience: Just go with whatever makes you happy. And dont plan too far ahead. Even the greatest Jobs can get boring and once you are no more fulfilled with it, just try something new, you kinda always got that option if you keep working on yourself in at least some way!
Oct 25, 2016 3:19 PM

Jun 2016
I 'm not a naive idealist, but I believe in the importance of emotional satisfaction. Yeah, things can be hard or tiresome, but when you produce something new with your own efforts and imagination, the satisfaction is priceless.

I get what you mean, though. And after some point, all jobs become monotonous in a way. But still, as someone who always waars herself out, I'd go with something that improves me and satisfies me.
Oct 25, 2016 6:19 PM

Oct 2010
I honestly think the smell of popcorn would start to repulse me if I worked in a movie theater.

The perfect first job would be at a bookstore imo.
I don't think I would mind working at a pet store or my favorite clothing store either if I needed extra cash. I definitely wouldn't do anything that involved food or working for a big chain store.

As for a career, definitely not. I'm not getting myself into debt to work a boring office job or anything of the sort.
Oct 25, 2016 6:24 PM

Oct 2016
Honestly I used to work as a bus boy and I was totally cool with it. It never did bother me at all, so yea
Oct 25, 2016 8:10 PM

Jul 2015
No, I would kill myself if i was forced to work a basic minimum wage job forever.
Oct 25, 2016 11:32 PM

Oct 2015
I'm actually currently a dishwasher at a restaurant and I like it a lot because I actually think it's the most peaceful job in the restaurant as I get to be back in a uncrowned room to work. Every time I half to go into the kitchen theirs people going all over the place and getting in the way, I wouldn't like to be in there. On really busy days they have made me bus some tables though which was kind of annoying. I initially went to college to get a job related to computers but I'm planning to switch my major to automotive because I think that would be easier for me (I love working a desktop computers but despise working on laptops as you frequently half to take them complete apart to fix them and they are more complicated put together and I learned I wasn't really goo at networking or programming either) and I like cars, my sisters car is always having a problem anyway so I'm having to work on the thing almost every month anyway.

I actually wanted to look into working at a movie theater but I had applied to so many places that I forgot to apply to a movie theater.
Oct 26, 2016 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
No. After I went through my first big breakup, I actually wanted to kill myself, and the thought of having to work every day to barely be able to afford the cost of living when I didn't have any desire to live in the first place was absolute torture.

For now, I'm okay with working simple jobs to have some pocket cash and make college life a little easier on myself, but seeing as how I'm still not incredibly happy, I think I would ultimately break if I had to live this way forever.

I have pretty lofty goals because that's where I found strength when I wanted to give up on everything.

There's my overly serious post of the night.
Oct 26, 2016 3:48 AM
Nov 2013
I don't think I'd be happy with a boring/normal job at all. I've never worked before, but I don't think I'd just be fine with a dead end job. Maybe my opinion might change over time though, and I'd end up being okay with settling due to laziness.
Oct 26, 2016 3:54 AM

Apr 2013
If I get enough money to continue living the way I do and have fun with a boring job sure. I'm a boring person after all.
Oct 26, 2016 7:38 AM

May 2015
If it gets me enough money, why not?

I'd love to do something I'm passionate about for money, but a simple job that pays is good enough too. It's less stressful and I have plenty of time to do actually interesting things. When the job takes over your life, life becomes quite shitty.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 26, 2016 9:25 AM

Oct 2015
I'd probably overthink at that kind of a job and fall into an endless pit of despair. I don't like routine.
Oct 26, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2016
Currently working as an accountant, and I really feel like killing myself from the boredom. It's doing the same thing every day, every week, every month, and every year. Job rotation once in a while but there aren't much difference.

It's stable and I'm pretty sure I'll survive till old age if I just keep this up, but at this rate, the chance of my dying by suicide is higher than by accident or disease.

This sums it up perfectly.
merryfistmas said:
That sounds like shit tbh. I would hate to do the same thing my whole life, especially something that easy and boring, I'd be dead inside. People need stress, goals, advancement, not stagnation.
Oct 26, 2016 10:58 AM

Apr 2016
If I could get enough money from growing food, yes. But anything else, where I have to get up at a certain time, no.
Oct 26, 2016 5:07 PM

Feb 2015
Yeah see I feel like money is a lot of the time a big barrier, people are where they are but there isn't enough money to live in a (decently) nice place. I know that's why I always thought of a lot of things as being unsatisfying.
Oct 26, 2016 5:13 PM

Apr 2013
I use to work at an adult store...best job ever.

Didn't pay enough though
Oct 26, 2016 5:25 PM
Dec 2014
Boring? No, I wouldn't.

However a "normal job" isn't necessarily boring to everyone.

I am self-employed for 8-9 months of the year doing something a semi-"normal" job (though one might argue that running a business isn't the most "normal" route people choose) to earn enough money for a 3-4 months on holiday and/or doing a side job that I love.
Oct 26, 2016 8:55 PM

Mar 2014
UnpopularAnime said:
If I could get enough money from growing food, yes. But anything else, where I have to get up at a certain time, no.
you have to wake up really early to farm though, at least you do if you want to do a good job
Oct 26, 2016 9:44 PM

Apr 2016
merryfistmas said:
UnpopularAnime said:
you have to wake up really early to farm though, at least you do if you want to do a good job
You don't have to do much most of the time. I do garden, and all you need to do is plant, water, and harvest. You have to do weeds, but you can do that later in the day.
Oct 26, 2016 9:48 PM

Jun 2016
I've always worked on my feet and my current job can be stressful. Some days I think about just getting a boring office job but then I don't know if I would like it, maybe the stimulation is good for me.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Oct 27, 2016 1:14 AM

May 2013
I think you have to look at what lifestyle you want to support and what you want out of life and your job in general. Personally I'm a low maintenance kinda guy so I can live really comfortably on a low paying stress-free job. It let's me focus on my own goals and interests which are not job related. Some people want to do things that require money like own a house, travel, party like rockstars, or maybe get rich and retire early. It all depends on what your own personal wants/needs are.
Oct 27, 2016 6:59 AM

May 2015
GrizzlyAdams said:
I think you have to look at what lifestyle you want to support and what you want out of life and your job in general. Personally I'm a low maintenance kinda guy so I can live really comfortably on a low paying stress-free job. It let's me focus on my own goals and interests which are not job related. Some people want to do things that require money like own a house, travel, party like rockstars, or maybe get rich and retire early. It all depends on what your own personal wants/needs are.

A lot of people also tie their life's meaning with their career. When asked 'what do you do with your life?' they'll think of a job, not of a hobby or any other activity.
Oct 27, 2016 8:12 AM

May 2013
Lots of people are into taking on jobs and hoping to get promoted (climbing up ranks). Those people are more likely to take on new job opportunities even if the one they had before was great.

As a mediocre individual with little work experience, I'll take whatever I can get. I'd prefer low stress over high paying jobs. I like to joke that I already have crippling depression, I dont need crippling anxiety as well.
Oct 27, 2016 3:24 PM

Feb 2015
The thing about repetition though is a lot of things are pretty repetitive in my opinion, regardless of how glamorous or fancy it might seem....

Like I've been on a TV show set for instance, and seriously that was kind of amazing just how tedious, and kind of like.. I mean if you look at behind the scenes for YT videos and stuff it's just a lot of recording and re-recording, planning.. I mean people spend a lot of time and energy on a few things basically. They spent like 6 hours on pretty much one scene, doing it over and over again, I actually had to take a break and I fell asleep, when I came back, still the same scene.

Honestly most of the people there seemed pretty stressed and not even really happy, etc, anyway, obviously most of (not all though, really) were making a lot of money but everything else...

Most often people seem really happy when they can just turn off all the stuff and just mellow out...

So I keep asking myself well then why do people spend so much time on the big mega stuff, and a lot of the time I think it is money and such and that's really unfortunate IMO.

Kefka1134Oct 27, 2016 3:27 PM
Oct 27, 2016 3:30 PM

Jan 2015
Nope. I need a job where I feel like I'm accomplishing something great. I am not bashing any jobs out there. Do what you love, or do what you have to do to make it. I need to be able to make enough money to have a house, car, food, clothes, utilities, and some left over to support my anime addiction. Ill need more money to support a family one day. A boring/"normal" job will not cut it for me.
Oct 27, 2016 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
no I am not very good with boredoom and it feels very similiar to pain, wish I want to avoid if I can.

merryfistmas said:

also I agree with this, you just feel worthless and like a dirty old whore doing simple shit for money. there's no sense of personal accomplishment or fulfillment.
AnimeFreak-SanOct 27, 2016 4:34 PM
Oct 27, 2016 5:57 PM

Jun 2016
I wouldn't be able to handle a "normal" job all my life, I'd rather see the work I'm doing having a direct affect on society.
Oct 27, 2016 7:53 PM

Sep 2007
Well, my job is typing numbers into a computer all day. But it's no more boring than browsing on MAL. ^^;

Oct 27, 2016 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
Eventhough I don't like the job, the salary is not that bad. I always give off positive vibe to improve my mood, like "I am taking this job for my family and my future, etc." So, I can enjoy my work just a little, albeit some rare occasions can make my mood swings. Moreover, I can't find any place better than my current workplace.
removed-userOct 27, 2016 8:37 PM
Oct 28, 2016 2:33 AM

Sep 2016
I'm working as an office worker and enjoy it (although it can sometimes be stressful and boring due to lack of work tasks, but thank god that internet exists whenever that happens!). I've pretty much told everyone I know that I want to live a boring and normal life, besides, it gives me just enough money + some extra to live my everyday life comfortably.

The pressure of money is always an important and high factor for people who want to have a job, but imo, I've never once thought that I NEED more. It's more like I WANT more, to buy all the shit I have ever put in my 100s of wishlists online, but it has never ever bothered me.
If money is important to you, study and get paid 10 times more than me, I'm fine with my "boring" job.

Oct 28, 2016 2:41 AM

Mar 2008
I don't want to live to work having my life revolve around a career so I think I would be fine with some jobs but it has to be somewhat interesting to me so I would likely switch jobs often. I would prefer having a hobby be an income.
Oct 28, 2016 8:25 AM

May 2015
juui said:
I'm working as an office worker and enjoy it (although it can sometimes be stressful and boring due to lack of work tasks, but thank god that internet exists whenever that happens!). I've pretty much told everyone I know that I want to live a boring and normal life, besides, it gives me just enough money + some extra to live my everyday life comfortably.

The pressure of money is always an important and high factor for people who want to have a job, but imo, I've never once thought that I NEED more. It's more like I WANT more, to buy all the shit I have ever put in my 100s of wishlists online, but it has never ever bothered me.
If money is important to you, study and get paid 10 times more than me, I'm fine with my "boring" job.

Stressful and boring at the same time? That kind of doesn't make sense.
Oct 28, 2016 1:39 PM

Sep 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
juui said:

Sometimes it can be stressful due to busy work hours or having to deal with troublesome customers, and sometimes it can be boring because I either have to wait for other people to finish their work, so I can continue mine, or just in general, I have dead hours - with nothing to do for half of the day or more.

Oct 29, 2016 12:37 AM

May 2015
juui said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Sometimes it can be stressful due to busy work hours or having to deal with troublesome customers, and sometimes it can be boring because I either have to wait for other people to finish their work, so I can continue mine, or just in general, I have dead hours - with nothing to do for half of the day or more.

Dead hours sound like one of the best things in work, honestly. Getting paid for doing nothing is great.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - Yesterday

17 by DigiCat »»
20 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

26 by 9765 »»
35 minutes ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

57 by DigiCat »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » JAPAN?

BaronLukis - Yesterday

16 by DesuMaiden »»
51 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Yesterday

13 by deg »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.