Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 24, 2016 8:08 AM

Nov 2011
Kyoto Animation animating this apparently which is a big surprise imo.

Having read the manga for awhile, I really hope they capitalize on the comedy (expressive facial reactions) aspect of the characters.
Oct 24, 2016 8:51 AM

Sep 2013
KyoAni Does It Again! :)

Op is by fhána as well.

Oct 24, 2016 9:36 AM

Jul 2010
Yeah it really took me by surprise KyoAni animating this.
Oct 24, 2016 9:40 AM

Aug 2015
Even better since it's confirmed to be full-length as well

Gotta have another SOL of monster girls again
Oct 24, 2016 10:00 AM

Aug 2012
Haven't read this manga specifically, but I really enjoy the author's other work 'Ojojojo', so I was planning on checking it out anyway.
KyoAni just made it a lot better.
.................................................................................
Oct 24, 2016 10:53 AM

Jul 2010
Mizunashi said:
Even better since it's confirmed to be full-length as well

Oh it will? that's great.
Oct 24, 2016 10:54 AM
Jan 2013
IT GON BE KYO ANI?
EXCUSE ME?
gone bai bai
Oct 24, 2016 12:32 PM

Jul 2007
inbefore Yuri content is relegated to just queerbait again.

The change in character designs already is...just why...
AhenshihaelOct 24, 2016 12:42 PM
Oct 24, 2016 5:34 PM

Aug 2015
Ok, so this project assignment basically took everyone by surprise. Even industry insiders and KyoAni studio followers were taken by surprise. Some saw it as a quick investment for extra pocket money, in case their double assignment in Eupho 2 and Koe no Katachi flopped (Yeah. In retrospect that's a damn cute worry that needn't exist).

Anyway, KyoAni's role seems to be much less devoted in this project, as they merely accepted the role of animating it, kinda like a more traditional setup of external producers with a project in mind, assigning it to a studio of their choice, while KyoAni usually work from their own licenses.

https://twitter.com/NaChiKyoTsuki97/status/790709040204554240
Anime talk, music and analysis, plus random moments of inspirations and rants | https://atmafunomena.wordpress.com/
Oct 24, 2016 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
I havent read the manga yet,hope kyo ani is making a good,interesting anime.I hope this will be interesting anime.
Oct 24, 2016 7:37 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like KyotoAnimation is able to take any premise, even one as silly as a monster-run amusement park run by a loli princess, and make it into something that will stick with us for a while.

Looking forward to it.
Oct 24, 2016 9:04 PM

Sep 2013
NaChiKyoTsuki97 said:

Anyway, KyoAni's role seems to be much less devoted in this project, as they merely accepted the role of animating it, kinda like a more traditional setup of external producers with a project in mind, assigning it to a studio of their choice, while KyoAni usually work from their own licenses.

https://twitter.com/NaChiKyoTsuki97/status/790709040204554240

Koe no Katachi is the one that they only animated it so they don't get alot of money of the movie's success but they do get recognition which is important.
Oct 26, 2016 3:04 PM
May 2015
Kyoto Animation adapting a source material that isn't from their awards? This is surprising...

This reminds me of Phantom World for whatever reason, except no harem. I'll probably give this a shot since it's by KyoAni.

Oct 27, 2016 8:31 AM

May 2013
Sorry, but i like the character design from source material more than this boob stuffed, kyoani face Tooru (read:"mai-senpai v.2). Seriously why kyoani, WHY?
Nov 26, 2016 1:39 AM

Jan 2013
Fai said:

But the manga is barely yuri even though it's tagged shoujou ai. Like... the protagonist has clearly stated she's straight. She only becomes attracted to the dragons in one quick shortstory where she gets turned into a guy.

What are you even expecting?
Dec 3, 2016 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty excited since for one: It's something out of the usual Kyoto stuff which means it'll probably be a sign for Kyoto to adapt other stuff outside of their own stuff, which is nice.

Second, I love the designs, it's pretty much my cup of tea of course .w. Plus it fits with the genres too. So.
Dec 7, 2016 2:35 AM

Feb 2013
TitanAnteus said:
Fai said:

But the manga is barely yuri even though it's tagged shoujou ai. Like... the protagonist has clearly stated she's straight. She only becomes attracted to the dragons in one quick shortstory where she gets turned into a guy.

The main maid dragon has clearly stated that she wants to f*ck the "protagonist" too, so...
Dec 7, 2016 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
Sooo I just discovered this is Kyoani's and I might give it a chance, but honestly I'm not expecting much
It may surprisingly funny like Amaburi or it can be really bland like Phantom World
Anyway this time I swear I won't force myself to continue with it if I don't like it I did with the latter.
Baby, daijobanai...
Dec 7, 2016 7:35 AM

May 2013
I had no idea this was Kyoani although I obviously noticed the good animation on the PV, holy shit. I haven't seen non K-On/Hyouka samefaces from this studio in years.
MizusiDec 7, 2016 7:48 AM
Dec 7, 2016 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
I just watched the PV and I'm actually laughing, the fact that it kinda stated about the DCup I think it's just the girl stating who she is. It's pretty funny, also, can I say that I like the facial expressions for this?

The artstyle for this series surprisingly fits for some reason with the setting and well, I like this, and man I have never felt this genuinely excited since Amagi, like don't get me wrong, I liked Musaigen but... Ya know, it wasn't anything amazing but, it was good enough for just watching so, rather entertainment. As for Hibike... that's another story honestly (I didn't enjoyed it or liked it as much compared to the previous series they made which was Amagi, so it was rather a let down, but S2 is fixing my issues with the first season so that's something)

Not gonna lie I also like the Maid from here, she's adorable and I wanna see how she works around in the first episode. Not to mention how she would be like in there and onward, so I'm just excited for this one honestly.
Dec 7, 2016 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
Sham1sen said:
TitanAnteus said:

The main maid dragon has clearly stated that she wants to f*ck the "protagonist" too, so...

Yeah because one-way yuri has ever counted. How many anime out there have that one lesbian super in love with a character and goes nowhere.

This trope is so common it appears in harem anime like Girls Bravo. I honestly wouldn't keep your expectations up. Honestly, I see yuri fans complain about this type more than regular romance. It's why I replied to someone calling it queerbait.
Dec 8, 2016 5:31 AM

Jul 2009
Sham1sen said:
TitanAnteus said:

Awww... so it's not realy yuri? and here I thought KyoAni wil have the guts to go full yuri not just teasing
Dec 8, 2016 6:17 PM

Feb 2013
TitanAnteus said:

Yeah because one-way yuri has ever counted. How many anime out there have that one lesbian super in love with a character and goes nowhere.

This trope is so common it appears in harem anime like Girls Bravo. I honestly wouldn't keep your expectations up. Honestly, I see yuri fans complain about this type more than regular romance. It's why I replied to someone calling it queerbait.

I don't blame you for thinking that if 2 girls don't want to bang their brains out is automatically not yuri. But this one could be considered yuri because the maid dragon (Who is the protagonist btw) happens to be in love with a girl and shes pretty upfront and honest about it and even though Kobayashi has rejected her advances several times (Including that one time when she said that she didn't like girls), she still has shown some sort of affection towards the maid dragon. Theres also the fact that theres not a single male LI in this. Its not a completely yuri series like Citrus or Strawberry Panic is, but its a comedy with some yuri elements to it.

Kyokutou said:

Awww... so it's not realy yuri? and here I thought KyoAni wil have the guts to go full yuri not just teasing

I mean, i don't know what everyone definition of yuri is, but the MC is pretty upfront about her feelings for Kobayashi and theres not a single male LI in sight, so i guess some could consider this a form of light yuri? I mean, the source material is a comedy with yuri elements, so i wouldn't expect that much to begin with.
Dec 8, 2016 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
Sham1sen said:
TitanAnteus said:

I don't blame you for thinking that if 2 girls don't want to bang their brains out is automatically not yuri. But this one could be considered yuri because the maid dragon (Who is the protagonist btw) happens to be in love with a girl and shes pretty upfront and honest about it and even though Kobayashi has rejected her advances several times (Including that one time when she said that she didn't like girls), she still has shown some sort of affection towards the maid dragon. Theres also the fact that theres not a single male LI in this. Its not a completely yuri series like Citrus or Strawberry Panic is, but its a comedy with some yuri elements to it.

Kyokutou said:

I mean, i don't know what everyone definition of yuri is, but the MC is pretty upfront about her feelings for Kobayashi and theres not a single male LI in sight, so i guess some could consider this a form of light yuri? I mean, the source material is a comedy with yuri elements, so i wouldn't expect that much to begin with.

Wait, the protagonist, is Kobyashi right? Not the maid dragon?

Also I never said anything about two girls not wanting to bang their brains out. Where'd you even get that thought? I said one is interested, and the other is clearly not. I also said this is a trope that can even be seen in harem anime for comedic effect. It's in Girls Bravo. It's in Nagasarete Airantou. It's in Amaenadeyo! I mean, if you think joke yuri with almost no possibility of coming to fruition is still yuri then I don't know man.
Dec 14, 2016 9:19 AM

Feb 2013
TitanAnteus said:

Wait, the protagonist, is Kobyashi right? Not the maid dragon?

Also I never said anything about two girls not wanting to bang their brains out. Where'd you even get that thought? I said one is interested, and the other is clearly not. I also said this is a trope that can even be seen in harem anime for comedic effect. It's in Girls Bravo. It's in Nagasarete Airantou. It's in Amaenadeyo! I mean, if you think joke yuri with almost no possibility of coming to fruition is still yuri then I don't know man.

Nope, the maid dragon is the protagonist. 90% of the chapters revolve around her daily life and how she's dealing with things after leaving her own world. Kobayashi is the titular character, but she isn't the main character.

Anyways, back to the yuri. All those series that you mentioned are harems and in those instances the yuri is non-existant since their "yuri" interactions are used to attract the male MC or just to fool around while waiting for him and not because they like each other. Awful examples, my friend.

Kobayashi-san is more similar to Mikagura School Suite, where only the MC is gay for the other character and even though she doesn't show signs of reciprocating the MC feelings to the fullest, she has shown interest in her and has grown to not only see her as a nuisance.
Dec 14, 2016 11:48 PM

May 2014
Sham1sen said:
Kobayashi-san is more similar to Mikagura School Suite, where only the MC is gay for the other character and even though she doesn't show signs of reciprocating the MC feelings to the fullest, she has shown interest in her and has grown to not only see her as a nuisance.

Also there was that one chapter where Kanna visited Saikawa's house and tried to pork her.

The manga is pretty gay regardless of Kobayashi's nonchalance.
Dec 16, 2016 10:55 AM

Feb 2013
WrongPriest said:

Also there was that one chapter where Kanna visited Saikawa's house and tried to pork her.

The manga is pretty gay regardless of Kobayashi's nonchalance.

Yeah, its pretty gay. I mean, i get that some people need to see both characters longing for each other to consider it yuri, but sometimes less is more. Thats the case of Kobayashi-san, if we got both characters going crazy for each other, the dynamic would've gotten stale pretty quickly.
Dec 17, 2016 11:57 PM

Jan 2013
@WrongPriest
@Sham1sen

You know, I don't get it. If this was hetero romance where a guy and a girl move in with each other. And the guy's all over the girl but she's super not interested. IN FACT, the only time she's ever physically interested is when she gets genderbent into a guy as well, I'd be mad. How are you happy with how the manga's treating you? That's rude. It's like saying hetero romance is the only one with any weight. Back to reality.... this manga takes the homosexuality as joke.

In every case the Dragon's homosexuality is relevant it's as a joke.

Kanna about to get physical with Saikawa? Oh look it's just a gag. There's no weight to this situation. In this guy's other manga, whenever shit happens between two people of the opposite sex, even if it's generally for comedy there's a mutual feeling or actual weight to the situation.

It honestly feels like Kobayashi's only a girl so that the manga didn't get all sexual, because they're actually living together in this one.

Think about that. In order to avoid the situation getting physically intimate from one side's advances, he makes them both the same gender.

At least you got your yuribait though right? No chance of the girls getting physically intimate? No problem. No chance of the relationship progressing further unless one side changes gender? As long as the dragon's Kobayashi sexual no problem.

==================================

EDIT: I'm not even writing this to be mean. I'm just saying this to curb people's enthusiasm about that aspect of the show. In Cross Ange, Euphonium, and just... TONS of other shows people get crazy attached to the idea of the characters being lesbian that it affects discussion and public perception about it.

I don't want that to happen to this show.
TitanAnteusDec 18, 2016 12:02 AM
Dec 20, 2016 11:57 AM

Feb 2013
@TitanAnteus

The dragon maid's feelings for Kobayashi are not treated as a joke at all. She decides to defy her father orders by staying in a world where dragons are feared and considered bad creatures that need to be slayed because the things she feels for Kobayashi are very real to her. If you think thats taking her feelings as a joke or comedic relief, i don't know what to tell you anymore.

The story itself is not about romance either, so them being all over each other makes no sense either because if that were the case, the story would've gotten stale by now. The story is about how the dragon is dealing with her new life in a foreign world, its a SoL story with yuri elements. Theres no need to overanalyze or wish for something more.

Cross Ange and Hibike are completely random series to name-drop. In one of them there were some actual lesbians in it, the fact that the protagonists decided to just ditch the relationship she was building with the other girl for the guy in the last second was shitty but wasn't unexpected. In the other one its completely your fault if you were baited into thinking something yuri was going to happen, because in the source material no such thing ever happens. And what those two have in common with Kobayashi-san anyways? That we might get some people expecting something more out of a non-romantic series?
Dec 20, 2016 2:31 PM

Jan 2013
Sham1sen said:

That we might get some people expecting something more out of a non-romantic series?

Yes that! That's exactly what will happen.

You're right though. I did say too much when I said whenever the homosexuality is brought up it's as a joke. That was my bad.

This isn't Cool Kyoushinsha's first forray into romantic comedy though. Ojojojo had a straight couple that were exactly like what you described ("so them being all over each other makes no sense either because if that were the case, the story would've gotten stale by now"). In fact, all of his prior works undeniably have the love reciprocated and are still great.

What you heard about Cross Ange was wrong btw. She met Tusk at like episode 5. It's ironic because the romance everyone was rooting for for some reason AngeXHilda. Hilda is the one that sabotages Ange's unit and forces her to crash land on Tusk's island. There's tons of buildup between Ange and Tusk, where they're alone in the Dragon universe and just... a bunch. People just wanted AngeXHilda anyway cause it was lesbian and the fact that you were misinformed shows how much focus that one small aspect of the show got.
Dec 21, 2016 12:16 PM

Feb 2013
@TitanAnteus

I'm going to be completely honest and say that i've never watched Cross Ange before, all i know from it comes from a friend who completely hates the show due to the romance.

Anyways, i've never read any other Cool's story before this one since the premise of this one was kinda interesting to me, so i wouldn't dare to argue about whether his other series are good or not, but to me, a slow build-up towards that point is better than being at that point right off the gate. Thats just me though, you probably like when a romantic relationship is stablished from the get-go and thats why you don't think it would get old.

As to whether people would expect something more, let them. I mean, it would be their fault for expecting romantic stuff from a non-romantic series. Kinda like when some people get mad when Hibike doesn't go the yuri route, when that was never a real possibility to begin with.
Dec 21, 2016 3:02 PM

Jan 2013
Sham1sen said:
@TitanAnteus

I'm going to be completely honest and say that i've never watched Cross Ange before, all i know from it comes from a friend who completely hates the show due to the romance.

Anyways, i've never read any other Cool's story before this one since the premise of this one was kinda interesting to me, so i wouldn't dare to argue about whether his other series are good or not, but to me, a slow build-up towards that point is better than being at that point right off the gate. Thats just me though, you probably like when a romantic relationship is stablished from the get-go and thats why you don't think it would get old.

As to whether people would expect something more, let them. I mean, it would be their fault for expecting romantic stuff from a non-romantic series. Kinda like when some people get mad when Hibike doesn't go the yuri route, when that was never a real possibility to begin with.

Lol you're a positive person XD.

To me, I kinda think it's bad because it affects the discussion or the focus on the show. It happened with Cross Ange and Euphonium where the majority of the weekly discussion focused on that minor subplot to the point where it colored my own perception of the show. I do blame myself for that partially as well.

Oh man... READ THEM. Read the other Cool Kyoushinsha works. They're all fantastic. I highly recommend him as a mangaka.
Dec 22, 2016 10:55 PM

Feb 2013
TitanAnteus said:
Sham1sen said:
@TitanAnteus

Lol you're a positive person XD.

To me, I kinda think it's bad because it affects the discussion or the focus on the show. It happened with Cross Ange and Euphonium where the majority of the weekly discussion focused on that minor subplot to the point where it colored my own perception of the show. I do blame myself for that partially as well.

Oh man... READ THEM. Read the other Cool Kyoushinsha works. They're all fantastic. I highly recommend him as a mangaka.

I mean, i get what you're trying to say, a weekly discussion where people bicker at each other for something they would never see or get, gets pretty tiresome quickly. One of the reasons i dropped Hibike was because even though i knew where the show was going, i would get "baited" into thinking it may not go that route. That and the fact that only 4 characters got properly developed.

I'll try to read them whenever i have the chance. Right now i'm pretty hooked on Jojo and since the manga its on hiatus, i thought that it was the best time to catch up to it.
Dec 23, 2016 2:44 AM

Jun 2013
more like nichijou, i guess?
Dec 26, 2016 3:32 PM

Feb 2015
I haven't read the manga but it sounds like it might be quite crazy and extreme humour (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, KyoAni can definitely pull it of as we saw with Nichijou.
Dec 28, 2016 10:16 PM

Oct 2016
Luke72 said:
I haven't read the manga but it sounds like it might be quite crazy and extreme humour (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, KyoAni can definitely pull it of as we saw with Nichijou.

I CANT WAIT FOR THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2017

189 by MoonlightVT »»
Apr 12, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2017

315 by _untitled »»
Apr 7, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2017

131 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2017

113 by _untitled »»
Apr 1, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2017

169 by _untitled »»
Mar 31, 7:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.