Forum Settings
Forums

Anxiety/irrational scary thoughts and how to deal with it?

Oct 24, 2016 8:01 AM
Hi. I know Ive made tons of idiotic threads in the past few months, but this time Im being completely serious. Im opening this thread because Im struggling with a certain problem and cant get rid of it. Im doing this because I hope someone here can give me some advices on how to defeat this problem, as I dont have any friends to ask for help and my parents dont understand me.

So, recently I started to feel very bad, no matter what I do or where I go, my mind is occupied with some really scary irrational "worst scenario" thoughts ALL THE TIME, like no matter what I do, I only think in a negative way and these thoughts wont let me enjoy my life. The weird thing is, I dont believe these thoughts for a second as they are complete and utter bullshit obviously, and yet I cant get rid of them. They cause me to feel stressed and panicked, often when I think of these thoughts I feel FEAR and like Im losing my breath and dying....I cant focus on my family or hobbies anymore, I constantly only think about myself and how Im not doing well etc...Ive turned from a happy person into a worrysome scared human being. Some of these thoughts include:

- what if Im crazy but I dont know about it? what if I go grocery shopping and the lady at the shop tells me that Im not really shopping, just hallucinating and that Im actually in a psychiatric hospital, tied to a bed?
- what if I think Im well but Im actually not?
- what if I die tomorrow?
- what if everything around me is just an illusion or a dream, my school, my parents, all those people around me, my entire life? what if I wake up at any moment?

I KNOW, I KNOW these thoughts are absurd, ridiculous and fucking dumb and I dont believe them and yet they are in my mind 24/7 and I cant forget about them. The harder I try to battle them, the stronger they get.

However, few days ago I went to a psychologist (without telling my parents or anyone) and took a test, I answered some questions about myself and how I feel/think and the result was that Im suffering from high level anxiety (89 out of 100 points). Funny: I asked my doctor if Im going crazy and she laughed and replied "no, youre a normal human being, you dont act like anyone who is crazy, the only problem is that you only think too much about nonsense, youre worrying about nothing."

Here is the question: she prescribed me to take xanax to cure my anxiety, but Ive read online that xanax can cause hallucinations and that you can get addicted to it. Now Im scared to take it. What should I do? Help, I cant talk to my parents about this, I dont know what to do, hope someone here has been through a similar situation and can give me some good advices?

Oct 24, 2016 9:07 AM

You can't think when you're passed out. Time to start drinking.

Oct 24, 2016 9:14 AM
Embrace those thoughts. Embrace it, maggot.

Oct 24, 2016 9:22 AM

Not sure why you're asking for help on an anime forum, but it sounds like you have GAD, or generalized anxiety disorder.

Xanax will definitely be effective in the short-term to relieve the physical symptoms of anxiety, such as fatigue, restlessness, lack of ability to concentration (not even sure if you've been experiencing them). Unfortunately, it may not get rid of all the negative thoughts you've been having - you'll need another drug on board for that. However, I'd recommend that you still take it as prescribed - as long as you don't take more than that or abuse alcohol in the meantime, you shouldn't develop an addiction or start hallucinating.

I'd also recommend doing regular follow ups with your doctor (she should be the one scheduling them) and psychologist, as the more exposure you have with them, the faster and more likely you'll improve. Feel free to message me if you want to talk about this in more detail!

Oct 24, 2016 9:43 AM

There is literally nothing you can do about being a neurotic, anxious mess.

Doctors will happily throw benzos and beta blockers at you because it gets you the fuck out of their office. Additionally, CBT has never been proven to be effective and its 'usefulness' is actually declining.

If you've been blessed with the sweaty palms gene you might as well kill yourself because you are going to be allocated to the dirty broom closet of society for the rest of your life. Unless you've got some crazy nepotism going or something.
Modified by Latent, Oct 24, 2016 9:47 AM

Oct 24, 2016 12:34 PM

I would definitely ask her to prescribe you something other than Xanax. Besides hallucinations being potentially symptomatic of Xanax, it's a very controlled substance that's easily addictive. If not taken in moderation it can fuck you up. There are other medications that can quell severe anxiety without the aftereffects of Xanax. Ask the psych about one of those.

TL;DR took xanax once and it didn't produce improvement or even that many results, luckily I never got hooked on it, but Xanax is definitely a "last resort" pill that should be used when no other medication proves to work effectively, not the pill you should primarily be taking.

FINALLY XX YOU OUT
feels so good to forget ya, i've become someone better

Oct 24, 2016 1:55 PM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

I've been suffering really fucking terrible anxiety over the course of the last month (drug-related) and have also had intrusive thoughts very similar to yours regarding my mental health and personal wellbeing coupled with a sense of derealization. The best advice I can give you is to keep occupied, surround yourself with people you enjoy being around and go outside often. Feeling a hell of a lot better now with some on-off physical symptoms but I'm fairly certain they will subside.

I'm personally unsure about Xanax as I've never had it myself but I've heard it can be habit-forming, so be careful if you're gonna give it a shot.
Modified by ThatRazorGuy, Oct 24, 2016 2:02 PM
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Oct 24, 2016 2:22 PM

scary thoughts? oh those are the best kinds, just go with them and see what you become.

Oct 24, 2016 2:51 PM

myscary thought is airplane and i have to ride it 4 times a year and every single time I always imagine final destination scene and i just convince myself "even if i die, at least it would be painless instant death..."
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)

Oct 24, 2016 4:06 PM

Yo, you sound fine. Think twice before taking Xanax. It's very addictive and can have super terrible withdrawal symptoms... it cures panic attacks, so dependency kind of comes with the territory. I think meditation is way better because you actually learn something about your own mind and the art of relaxation rather than rely on a pill.

Oct 24, 2016 4:19 PM

If you can think that you might be crazy, you are not.
If you die tomorrow, well, sorry. What can you do about it?
Other questions, same logic.

If you're afraid of that stuff, just don't care about that. Not caring is the perfect solution for anything.

Oct 24, 2016 4:47 PM
as a clinically mentally ill person i advice you to check your family history if you have relatives or ancestors that have mental illness too then if you have a family history of mental illness then talk to a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist about it

if you are afraid of taking medication then you can ask some clinical psychologist about none drug treatments like CBT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy mindfulness meditation and even cognitive defusion/distancing

you can google those terms to give you an idea, and also google intrusive thoughts and thought-action fusion too those infos might help you if your fears are repeatedly happening and are becoming obsessions (OCD)

Oct 24, 2016 5:22 PM

Don't think so much. Accept that there are things in life out of your control, so meanwhile you can just let you live.

I remember when I was a kid and realized for the first time that I am mortal and will die one day. I used to feel at my heart all the time to check that it didn't stop beating, lol.

Some of us are a bit more sensitive, neurotic and anxious than the average Svensson. It could be that you had some exaggerated anxiety and therefore needs treatment, but don't assume that's the case first thing you do.
It's also like this that the more you think about something, the more you will feel it so to speak. Try to distract/occupy yourself with something stressful and challenging. I don't mean anything damgerous, but make a speech infront of people, ask a girl out or something. Direct your attention to something else.

If that doesn't work, well, talk to your psychologist again.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

Oct 24, 2016 5:33 PM

It sounds like you're having some serious existential dread-type issues. That stuff can pop up out of nowhere sometimes.:( Try to find out ways to focus your mind on other things that aren't so negative. There's more to life the thought of inevitable mortality, right?

Or go cheer yourself up on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mioYkBdyOlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NoSSCmaHn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw