Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 24, 2016 12:21 AM
Nov 2015
A recent thread I saw on Facebook was about people talking about how bad Ouran High School Host Club is. Pointing out it's awful story and tropes and no ending. I haven't seen it myself but I know it's popular. Around 600 people were talking about how bad it was but I heard the series was quite acclaimed. Is Ouran that bad?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 24, 2016 12:25 AM

Mar 2008
It's honestly almost, but not quite, as good as that bad.
Oct 24, 2016 12:26 AM

May 2015
I thought the only reason people hated the show was because it was 'gay' lol

TIL..
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 24, 2016 12:31 AM

Apr 2016
I don't think it's bad at all. It fucking hilarious most of the time, even.
Oct 24, 2016 12:37 AM

Oct 2016
No, not really I've seen a lot of worse stuff. People just don't like it because it's a reverse harem. Mind you, it's not particularly good either, it's just one of those meh shows that most people probably saw on cartoon network or something.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2016 12:38 AM

Feb 2013
yes.. every show in top 200 rating and popularity is REALLY BAD and only rated by COMPLETE RACOONS.. the kind of guys who shave their cactuses and think ketchup is only tomato based
Oct 24, 2016 12:43 AM

Sep 2012
LittleTwilight said:
A recent thread I saw on Facebook was about people talking about how bad Ergo Proxy is. Pointing out it's awful story and tropes and no ending. I haven't seen it myself but I know it's popular. Around 600 people were talking about how bad it was but I heard the series was quite acclaimed. Is Ergo Proxy that bad?

I hope you can understand this sarcasm and find an answer for your question.
Oct 24, 2016 2:16 AM

Jun 2015
They have shit taste, obviously.

/thread
Oct 24, 2016 2:31 AM

Oct 2014
When I watched Ouran it was because three people on a pony website I went on were using Honey Senpai as their avatar. I didn't enjoy it too much at the time and looking back on it I would still consider it to be one of my least favourite shoujo anime. In my own opinion even Ore-sama Kingdom, an anime whose only complete sub was done by yours truly, has a better plot. Not much in media is objective, though (budgets, sales, years of experience, and public response are some objectives, but you can't calculate quality out of them). I personally think Shugo Chara is a better reverse harem, but if some negative feedback is the only thing keeping you away from the series then you should stop caring. Their opinion isn't necessarily going to be the same as yours.
Oct 24, 2016 2:31 AM

Mar 2016
There are some moments that make me uncomfortable. The Twincest teases, mostly. And that "pay me back with your body..." scene. It can be too silly and predictable at times. By no means a masterpiece. But, I had a great time. The characters grew on me and I enjoyed the ending for what it was.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Oct 24, 2016 4:04 AM

Apr 2010
Ouran high school host club is a shoujo, so guys may not find it to appealing. And don't forget, most anime watchers are male.

Ouran, despite having the romance tag, isn't that romantic. It is full of sometimes idiot comedy, but shonens has that one too (Baka to test, for exmple, has much more idiotic comedy).

Oct 24, 2016 4:31 AM

Jul 2015
I only heard good things about that anime so far, so not sure what to say.
Oct 24, 2016 4:32 AM

Jan 2013
I remember the day I watched a series and thought it was very enjoyable despite my initial prejudice. That was six years ago now.
I hope that you too experience a day similar to such.
Oct 24, 2016 4:41 AM

Aug 2015
Extremely terrible, don't even watch it. Save yourself
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Oct 24, 2016 4:55 AM

Mar 2012
This is the first time I'm seeing someone call it bad actually.

As for me, I found it very boring, it was the reverse harem aspect that drew me to it but all the guys had really annoying personalities, specially Honey and the two twins.
Oct 24, 2016 5:50 AM
Feb 2016
yes

worst anime ever made

1/10

not good

don't watch

yes
Oct 24, 2016 6:30 AM

Jun 2014
I don't know. I'm a big fan of Shoujo Anime, but the whole "Host Club" theme seems kinda lame, and that's the main reason I've never watched it.

Oct 24, 2016 6:37 AM
Mar 2016
What? Ouran High School Host Club is one of my favorite anime of all time. It's frikkin' hilarious and I love all the characters.
Oct 24, 2016 6:38 AM

Oct 2016
Chandela said:
I remember the day I watched a series and thought it was very enjoyable despite my initial prejudice. That was six years ago now.
I hope that you too experience a day similar to such.

What was that series? You have me interested.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2016 6:39 AM

Jul 2009
I actually consider it good and as far as I know so do most of my friends, so it's a bit of a surprise for me that someone could say Ouran is bad. Well, it seems it depends on the person.
Oct 24, 2016 6:47 AM

May 2016
No way, man. It's not my kind of comedy, but it still got some laughs out of me, the characters are charismatic and fun, and the art style's crisp and attractive. I gave it a 7/10 not because of any major flaws that were dragging it down, but because there's not much that distinguishes it from the average comedy anime, but that doesn't even remotely make it a bad series.

Hell, I gave the same score to one of my favorite comedies, Excel Saga, so I'm not blowing smoke when I say a 7/10 from me is not a bad score.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 24, 2016 6:50 AM

Apr 2015
If you have to ask, the answer is yes.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 24, 2016 6:53 AM
Sep 2015
I think it just decent. There some boring episodes and also some funny episodes.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Oct 24, 2016 6:54 AM

Aug 2014
I'm not even a comedy person, Ouran is one of my faves tho.
Oct 24, 2016 6:57 AM
Aug 2015
Malarkey said:
I thought the only reason people hated the show was because it was gay..

Well yes that one reason
and how sexist it is
Oct 24, 2016 6:57 AM

Jun 2008
But...Ouran is such a popular and beloved show?
Oct 24, 2016 7:01 AM

Dec 2015
Ouran has a couple of dull moments but is mostly hilarious. It's actually one of my favorite comedy anime.
Oct 24, 2016 7:06 AM

May 2014
Wtf Ouran is cool and fun and lots of people had lots of fun with it and it's cool and wtf Ouran is cool what are you talking about wtf MAL srsly wtf.
Oct 24, 2016 7:07 AM

Mar 2016
Namae_nashi said:
This is the first time I'm seeing someone call it bad actually.

Same, lol.

It's probably just because of how popular it is. There are going to be people who hate anything.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Oct 24, 2016 7:09 AM

Jun 2015
It's a well recieved show, though. I found it average but it's far from bad. I guess watching the terrible dub would lead to bad thoughts.

It plays on tropes for humor, btw.

Oct 24, 2016 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
It is horrible OP, it is even worse than Boku No Pico! D:

OT: As far as i know, Ouran Highschool Host Club is considered to be pretty good by many (even some non shoujo fans like myself liked it). So to answer your question , no.
Oct 24, 2016 7:30 AM

Nov 2008
Probably. It's from that time when people thought Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was funny.

Oct 24, 2016 7:50 AM

Dec 2015
I think it is average. When I watched it, I got a few good laughs and did enjoy watching it. its nothing mind blowing, but it really isn't that bad. The people calling it bad are probably mostly guys that don't like reverse harem to begin with. I personally don't like harem in general, but will watch a few if the premise catches my interest and I did enjoy watching this one. I am a guy by the way, I don't mind a reverse harem if the premise is fine.
Oct 24, 2016 8:16 AM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Ouran Koukou Host Club board.
Apr 25, 2017 5:07 AM

Jan 2017
Malarkey said:
I thought the only reason people hated the show was because it was 'gay' lol.

I was thinking this too tbh

I loved it because i found it really funny, I'm not sure how well/badly it adapted from the manga because i haven't read it.
This is the only shoujo anime I think I've ever watched too,
Apr 25, 2017 5:38 AM

May 2010
I've never seen people hating on it tbh :v

SolidWoIf said:

I loved it because i found it really funny, I'm not sure how well/badly it adapted from the manga because i haven't read it.

Actually it adapted manga perfectly, without omitting any important stuff or adding boring filler (not counting the last episodes, but it made a good conclusion). I recommend reading the manga as well, it's just as funny and heart-warming :3
Nov 27, 2017 10:24 PM
Nov 2017
It was good. Some of my friends said that it was weird since I watched this and that I was a guy so that I was "gay" but I really enjoyed it. I literally laughed my ass off on some parts
Apr 24, 2018 7:52 AM
Jul 2017
depends, men really hate it, women love it
Jan 29, 2019 9:34 AM

Aug 2010
Mrkulci said:
depends, men really hate it, women love it

Well... THIS woman hates it... *eyeroll*
Jan 29, 2019 6:43 PM

Jul 2014
I thought it was decent. Better than most other shoujo romance anime I've seen.
Jan 30, 2019 9:16 PM
Sep 2011
So odd seeing people say it's bad or even just alright! I've only ever met people who love it!

I think because of the LGBTQ+ representation in a way that wasn't hypersexualized (or sexualized at all really...) made this anime special to a lot of people even if it wasn't perfect. You see more non-binary and trans representation in anime nowadays but back when Ouran came out, there wasn't a lot. Especially not in more mainstream anime. It may not be the BEST ANIME EVER, but I've considered it a favorite since I first saw it when I was a teenager because of how much I related to Haruhi. And all my friends who don't typically like shojo or harem have fallen in love with it, even in recent years, so it still holds up well even with everything that's out today. Plus, it's just a quality feel good anime, and sometimes those are the best even if they aren't the *best*, ya know?
Feb 14, 2019 8:04 AM
Nov 2018
Shoegum said:
yes

worst anime ever made

1/10

not good

don't watch

yes

I

Thought

The

Worst Anime

Is

Maken-ki
Mar 16, 2019 5:26 AM

Jul 2014
I'll start with the disclaimer that reverse harems aren't my thing, but I'm being forced to watch this. It's made me laugh once or twice, but for the most part I hate this show. 99% of the "comedy" is absolutely atrocious, the characters are so stupid and overblown as to become completely unfunny (particularly Honey-senpai, but that's mainly because I consider his character type to be moronic and clear shotacon-bait).

Also, it's honestly absurd how sexist this show is at times, and the classist humour also isn't funny. And let's not forget the explicit Nazi references in one episode either.

I have little choice but to complete it now, but this is so far one of the worst anime I've ever had to force my way through.
May 11, 2019 5:28 PM

Apr 2019
I'm at the 10th episode and i think it's great- one of the funniest anime I have watched in life. All the silly and over-the-top, tho not too cringy, humor is just what I need from a comedy school anime. Most funny rom-com school anime also have a lot of emo baggage- eg Toradora, Oregairu or Sakurasou(tho i like those too)- but I have found few anime like Ouran and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, that you can see just for laughs.
I wish the female eyes could be a little more "normal" tho- retinas are ginormous, even for anime standards. But then maybe that used to be a thing a decade ago (Clannad also has that)
MashiiironMay 13, 2019 2:55 AM
Apr 5, 2020 10:49 AM

Jun 2011
I don't know why I even bother leaving a comment on this forgotten topic, but I would just like to express my humble opinion.

I watched Ouran for the first time in 2006 when I was in middle school. Then again in 2011 and a couple of weeks ago in 2020. All those 3 times I truly enjoyed it. Of course, I am not laughing as hard as I was the first time I watched this anime. Though it does have absolutely moronic moments and times where I want to facepalm myself from the ridiculous dialogs, it still brings a smile to my face and is one of the few anime that can make me feel at ease when I am extremely down and overwhelmed with work.

Having read the manga as well, and seeing how the story ended was a pleasant thing, but I still enjoyed the anime more. This animation aspect and the amazing voices of the seiyuus that could not be depicted in the manga must have been what made me love it so much.

In the end, everyone perceive a specific anime differently. You just have to watch it and judge it for yourself. :-)
LuckyAlixApr 16, 2020 9:06 AM
Apr 16, 2020 11:20 PM

Aug 2015
AkihitoZero5454 said:
NoobAsian said:
Extremely terrible, don't even watch it. Save yourself
Man just stop! Allow him to!

Hmmmm.... lemme think about this one...

How about... no.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jun 12, 2020 10:02 AM

Sep 2017
It's not bad really.But not the type of media boys would be pleased to watch
خ
Aug 24, 2020 2:25 PM
Oct 2019
sasalx said:
LittleTwilight said:
A recent thread I saw on Facebook was about people talking about how bad Ergo Proxy is. Pointing out it's awful story and tropes and no ending. I haven't seen it myself but I know it's popular. Around 600 people were talking about how bad it was but I heard the series was quite acclaimed. Is Ergo Proxy that bad?

I hope you can understand this sarcasm and find an answer for your question.

To be fair, Ergo Proxy is truly awful.
Jul 16, 2021 10:38 AM
Jan 2021
It's not that bad the only problem I have with it is the awful sexist episode 8 beach episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

theeggman85 - Nov 15, 2008

62 by starrydrop »»
Apr 13, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 17 Discussion

shinigami034 - Nov 16, 2008

43 by turbo_sloppy »»
Apr 9, 11:47 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 3 Discussion

notestinet - Jun 1, 2008

46 by ExploitedUsagi »»
Apr 7, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kenkei - Sep 9, 2008

66 by crazykralardabab »»
Mar 3, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sintaku - Mar 17, 2008

109 by exsantiagod »»
Jan 30, 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.