Forum Settings
Forums

Does a good plot twist equate to a good story?

New
Oct 23, 2016 9:43 PM

Apr 2014
This topic can apply to pretty much any form of entertainment medium, but heck this is an anime site so we'll roll with that. Basically, a neat twist happens that rocks the story to its core and fundamentally changes how events play out from there. There can't be any doubt that a twist like that is an integral point in the story, but does it necessarily make the story good as a whole?
For example, the twist in the Soul Society arc in Bleach is considered one of the best in anime, but Bleach's story in general is less than well regarded, albeit the Soul Society arc is universally praised; in part for how its story flowed throughout. It's believed that that arc was so well received Tite Kubo strived to recreate a similar story to follow its success for the rest of the manga, to less than stellar results but still an attempt none the less.
If you ask me, a story is made up of multiple elements that cannot function in conjunction without the other. Characters, setting, plot, etc. all make up the core of a story and something like a plot twist is just icing on the cake. But a single good plot twist in my opinion could strongly alleviate the weakness of a bad story to an extent as it should for everyone I believe. Ultimately we are watching anime for entertainment so it'll probably vary from person to person how much a plot twist affects us.

But now discuss and tell Protaku your thoughts on this topic.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 23, 2016 9:49 PM

Oct 2011
Not necessarily, there must be a well-founded buildup beforehand.
Oct 23, 2016 9:55 PM
Jul 2018
The Soul society twist? Which one is that? Aizen?

OT: A plot twist must be used to either tie everything together or break everything apart. A game changer. A half assed plot twist coming out of nowhere will make the story worse.
Oct 23, 2016 9:56 PM

Aug 2015
Like all things, there are a number of factors that contribute to something bigger. I think a good plot twist can definitely enhance the story but it doesn't necessarily mean the story is good solely due to the plot twist.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Oct 23, 2016 10:18 PM
Jan 2009
Stopped reading at "Bleach"

Bleach shouldn't be brought up in conversations about good stories

And a twist's quality is indicative of the story's quality and not vice-versa

The end
Mods lock this topic
Oct 24, 2016 12:36 AM

Feb 2013
yes everyone who says otherwise is a tool
Oct 24, 2016 12:47 AM

Oct 2016
I agree. Basically anything with a good plot twist I've rated in the top half of my animelist regardless of how bad the rest of it was. And it was also the determining factor in why I rank certain anime above others at the top.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2016 12:55 AM

May 2016
A good twist would mean there was a good story and build up before it to begin with so yes.
Oct 24, 2016 1:01 AM

Mar 2014
As long as said plot twist had been foreshadowed and is competent, then yes, it could correspond to a good story.

I say "could" because it depends on how it's handled after the fact. Since you used it as an example, I'll also use it to drive my point home: The Aizen plot twist was masterfully executed, and should indeed be considered as one of the best plot twists in anime (though for manga, Bleach's Zangetsu plot twist in the final arc is superior); however, how the story was conducted in the succeeding saga was poor, and thus the great story that was established, mitigated into mediocrity.
ziggy_ZOct 24, 2016 1:04 AM
Oct 24, 2016 1:05 AM

May 2015
Nyron said:
Stopped reading at "Bleach"

Bleach shouldn't be brought up in conversations about good stories

And a twist's quality is indicative of the story's quality and not vice-versa

The end
Mods lock this topic
wow what a jackass
blocked. reported. banned.
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 24, 2016 1:18 AM

Jun 2015
i say Mars of Destruction
best twist, best plot, amirite?
Oct 24, 2016 1:49 AM
Jul 2018
Not always. Twists certainly leave impressions, however. I'd rather not have a bad series leaving an impression on me, I'd rather forget about it.
Oct 24, 2016 1:58 AM

Jul 2013
It's doesn't guarantee at 100% that the story could becomes better, but it can make it a bit more interesting, however.
Oct 24, 2016 2:13 AM

Jun 2015
Not all the time. If a show is horribly bad, then not even a good plot twist can save it.
Oct 24, 2016 2:17 AM
Feb 2012
A plot twist usually serves to further improve an already good story. Adding a nice garden to an already solid and nice-looking house, so to speak.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 24, 2016 2:28 AM

Mar 2016
Some shows depend on it. Like "Detective Conan". Others go twist happy. Like "Death Note". A well-timed twist can salvage what would be otherwise a poor Anime. But, to rely upon it entirely is dangerous and ill advised. So, to answer your question, no.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Oct 24, 2016 2:28 AM

May 2015
No but it probably contributes a bit to making it a good story.

About soul society's twist I don't think the twist itself is that good but how it was revealed was great. The typical good guy that becomes one of the most badass villains of battle shounens just by dropping his glasses and passing his hand through his hair was jaw-dropping. In a manga/anime with physical transformations this was at Superman's level of genius.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2016 2:30 AM

May 2015
I don't really care about plot twists.

They seem to be mainly about audience's reactions, to doing a 'surprise motherfucker'. That's nice and all, but I'm interested in what the story means. Merely twisting the story isn't enough. Does the twist also change the meaning of the story? Shows something new about the themes?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 24, 2016 2:52 AM

Apr 2011
No, not in the least. It can be one of the components, but not by itself.
Oct 24, 2016 6:33 AM

Oct 2015
No.

Hence the one is called "plot twist" and the other "story".

This is not the Smurfs.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 24, 2016 6:48 AM

Mar 2015
i couldn't careless about plot twist... they are more oftenly abused to be plot convinience if anything to make plot moving instead properly telling what actually happened and give a proper hint and tough to the story...

sure it does work however to make intensitifity and i can't reject that, but i am can't bring my self to liking a story just because it has soo much intense.. i am prefer pleasntly surprised than shocked..

so IMHO,... it does however to make story exciting, but it self doesn't mean shit... it's just the tip.. it can be highest tip or lowest tip...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 24, 2016 6:49 AM

May 2016
A good story is a good story, and a good plot twist is a good plot twist. The only connection is that an attentive writer can generate both.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 24, 2016 7:04 AM

Apr 2015
Not unless you're very, very easily entertained.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 24, 2016 7:37 AM
Jul 2018
Twist? Ya, sometimes. I rarely find any interesting plot-twist nowadays. The more you are watching or reading any meadia that contains plot-twist(s), the less you are entertained.

Oct 24, 2016 8:01 AM

Oct 2013
zal said:
No but it probably contributes a bit to making it a good story.

About soul society's twist I don't think the twist itself is that good but how it was revealed was great. The typical good guy that becomes one of the most badass villains of battle shounens just by dropping his glasses and passing his hand through his hair was jaw-dropping. In a manga/anime with physical transformations this was at Superman's level of genius.

For once I agree with you, I always got the superman vibes from Aizen. Kubo inspiration for making Aizen must be from superman.

BannoBunka_snork said:
No.

Hence the one is called "plot twist" and the other "story".

This is not the Smurfs.

What if the story overall was a build up for this huge plot twist?
Oct 24, 2016 8:31 AM

Oct 2015
keragamming said:

Then "plot twist" would still be just one element of narration/ story.

Morevover, if it has nothing else to offer but "plot-twist" then in the very most cases I likely would not call it "good story" in the first place.

I am not saying that a plot twist (or also a deceiving-the-audience) can not add to or detract from a story's quality, but I oppose saying they are the same.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 24, 2016 8:38 AM

Oct 2013
BannoBunka_snork said:
keragamming said:

Then "plot twist" would still be just one element of narration/ story.

Morevover, if it has nothing else to offer but "plot-twist" then in the very most cases I likely would not call it "good story" in the first place.

I am not saying that a plot twist (or also a deceiving-the-audience) can not add to or detract from a story's quality, but I oppose saying they are the same.

I agree totally that plot twist alone wont make a series great, but all I'm saying it can enhance the series and story quality, if this plot twist change how the characters react and act, and completely change the perspective and the overall world in a series.

But I think op, is referring to just small plot twist, and not one's that would completely change the series overall in a massive way.
keragammingOct 24, 2016 8:51 AM
Oct 24, 2016 9:26 AM

Apr 2015
A good plot twist will not inherently make a good story. There is SO much more to a good story then just a good plot twist. However, the twist can help make a story better overall.

If a plot twist shows up, and come to find out there were small, subtle hints leading up to it, then that's great. It meant that the writer(s) had some thought and pre-planning, and were trying to challenge the more aware viewers while still blowing everyone away. If a twist happens early enough in a work, this might not be necessary, but then it is up to debate if its really a twist.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 24, 2016 9:35 AM
Feb 2009
Qualidea code had a cool plot twist and it was terrible throughout.
Oct 24, 2016 10:37 AM

Jan 2008
No, a good story does not need plot twists and not every story works with twists.

In few stories a twist could contribute to make it more interesting, especially if it is well written. But a twist could ruin the whole story if it is out of place or turns everything upside-down
Oct 24, 2016 10:40 AM
Feb 2014
Ingr1d said:
I agree. Basically anything with a good plot twist I've rated in the top half of my animelist regardless of how bad the rest of it was. And it was also the determining factor in why I rank certain anime above others at the top.

That makes no sense. You are saying if a show is shit but it has a good twist somewhere you ignore the bad stuff and rate it highly?
Oct 24, 2016 10:49 AM

Jul 2015
no
but it can be a great + to the story .
Oct 24, 2016 11:44 AM

Jan 2015
No no, keyser soze's story is boring as fuck

la critique de l'intention pure
Oct 24, 2016 11:55 AM

Aug 2013
Not necessarily. It can however make a story more enjoyable.
Oct 24, 2016 12:32 PM

Dec 2012
No, a good story just needs to be entertaining. Now a great story, that needs a plot twist or some other form of complexity.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 24, 2016 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
Now that depends on the plot twist doesn't it?
Oct 24, 2016 1:54 PM

Oct 2016
IronResistance said:
Ingr1d said:

That makes no sense. You are saying if a show is shit but it has a good twist somewhere you ignore the bad stuff and rate it highly?

Let's be fair, there's always the stupid generic harems in the bottom half. I'm not exactly being ridiculous here.
Oct 24, 2016 2:06 PM

Oct 2016
Plot twists are a part of the story.

Imagine having a shitty appetizer, soup, salad, and main course, followed by an amazing dessert. No one's gonna say the rest of the meal was good. Maybe the meal was still worth having because the dessert was delicious.

It can salvage the experience, but the rest of it was still awful.
Oct 24, 2016 2:09 PM

May 2016
How could a having a good twist make a story? A twist itself lasts but a moment. It can be, of course, very effective (Gakkou Gurashi!), but it's not a +5 to defense from criticism.

So we should excuse the downsides of all of the content pre-twist, if everything before it was only there to set it up? (Clannad: After Story)

What if the show does nothing interesting with it afterwards?
Oct 24, 2016 2:09 PM
Feb 2014
Ingr1d said:
IronResistance said:

Let's be fair, there's always the stupid generic harems in the bottom half. I'm not exactly being ridiculous here.

While I agree that the bottom half is full of stupid generic harems I think that the top half should be full of good shows not shows that have a twist. Like a show can have a twist and still be absolute trash. Having a twist isn't a free way to making a good show is what Im trying to say. xD
Oct 24, 2016 2:27 PM

Oct 2016
IronResistance said:
Ingr1d said:

While I agree that the bottom half is full of stupid generic harems I think that the top half should be full of good shows not shows that have a twist. Like a show can have a twist and still be absolute trash. Having a twist isn't a free way to making a good show is what Im trying to say. xD

Yeah I see your point, but a plot twist done extremely well will cause me to rate it highly, especially if the plot twist is near the end because then it affects how i perceive the anime at the end. My easiest example would be Mirai Nikki. I rated it a 9. I'm not going to disagree that it was garbage tier for most of the anime. It was a 4 for me before the plot twist happened. I've seen the criticisms on the internet and I agree with their points. But that's just how good I think the plot twist was.
Oct 24, 2016 2:32 PM

Oct 2016
Specimen021 said:
How could a having a good twist make a story? A twist itself lasts but a moment. It can be, of course, very effective (Gakkou Gurashi!), but it's not a +5 to defense from criticism.

So we should excuse the downsides of all of the content pre-twist, if everything before it was only there to set it up? (Clannad: After Story)

Wait, do people actually like the "plot twist" in clannad after story? I thought it was terrible!
Oct 24, 2016 2:39 PM

May 2016
Ingr1d said:
Specimen021 said:

Wait, do people actually like the "plot twist" in clannad after story? I thought it was terrible!

Didn't say they did, just picked a random example. Though, believe it or not, I've had people argue with me over that idiocy.

And yes, they liked it solely because it was set up beforehand. People like their continuity, they'll accept a literal turd as an ending, provided there was an artistic shot of some toilet paper in episode 1.
Oct 24, 2016 3:08 PM

Jul 2014
Not necessarily but some shows need to be shaken up after edging close to predictability. But some shows do live off plot twists to keep the audience on their toes.

So I really don't think its a true black and white answer. So in the end I feel shows really don't depend on them but a twist can definitely make it better while some have heavy dependence on them in order to create suspense.
Oct 24, 2016 3:46 PM

May 2015
Specimen021 said:

Sometimes, a good twist can shed light on all that came before and provide a new context. I'm pretty sure I once saw a movie that did this, but I can't recall.

I'd say the ideal twists don't just surprise you, they change the meaning of the story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 24, 2016 3:52 PM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Specimen021 said:

Sometimes, a good twist can shed light on all that came before and provide a new context. I'm pretty sure I once saw a movie that did this, but I can't recall.

I'd say the ideal twists don't just surprise you, they change the meaning of the story.

They can make a story better. They can't make a story good.

There is no twist in the world that could un-bore you after a dozen episodes of nothing in particular. Yes, I am over exagerrating slightly, but you get the point, I believe.
Oct 24, 2016 3:56 PM

Jan 2015
I think a plot twist can greatly enhance an anime. It's like a seasoning though, if the base is terrible the seasoning can only do so much. I loved the twist in From The New World.
Oct 24, 2016 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
Not quite, a good plot twist can make the story more interesting yes but if the writing doesn't stay consistent afterwards(or up until that point) then it is a bad story regardless.
Oct 24, 2016 4:19 PM

Apr 2016
Not necessarily
Just look at Mars of Destruction,
It gave an unexpected plot twist,
but how did that turn out?
currently in a state of denial
Oct 24, 2016 4:52 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No, but does anyone actually believe that? Where is this even coming from?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 6 minutes ago

2 by Rachiba »»
31 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

69 by Gensouori »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

32 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

119 by Miyamotodex23 »»
13 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

33 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.