Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 20, 2016 10:52 PM

Aug 2016
gosh drifters is by far the best thing this season and one of the best this year. it should be at least 8.00 on MAL. you know what ilike about this anime the most! the fact the main characters only live for their famine of war purposes, reflected in their strategies for war (the most gruesome ones). they are not the typical heroes with an altruistic way of life. and the music is unsane, same with animation.
:v
Dec 8, 2016 6:16 PM

Aug 2012
the series are underrated for what it is. A hidden gem to me but crippled by excessive comedy they put on the show.
With a title like "Drifter" its confusing for what they really are.
"Fear is not evil. It tells you what weakness is. And once you know your weakness, you can become stronger as well as kinder."
Dec 13, 2016 9:09 AM

Oct 2013
I'm in the same boat as you, I think this show is cool. The animation is good, story is put together in an interesting way. It has a gritty appeal to it, kind of like the newest Berserk season, just with better animation.

Clearly from reading this thread, some people just don't like it, but I think the show's MAL rating will rise over time.
Dec 15, 2016 2:05 PM

Apr 2012
its underrated by some humorless plebs... The humor reminds me a bit of FMAB.
Dec 16, 2016 6:22 AM

Sep 2016
phreeak said:
its underrated by some humorless plebs... The humor reminds me a bit of FMAB.
the only humorless plebs here is the author lol
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 22, 2016 2:18 PM

Nov 2009
I think this is the best anime of this season. And people are underrating it.
But that's just me. This type of series is just up my alley and I have been lacking 'mindless action' for a while now (when it comes to new anime especially).

Plus I started to realize that people on MAL tend to like other types of series.

Also, I personally never watched a single series for its humor so it's definitely something that doesn't stand out to me, as I hardly find anything funny anyway... So I see no problem here. I actually rather enjoyed the Scipio and Naoshi interaction and laughed hardcore over it. Good stuff.

Thank you, Hirano-sensei. We can always count on you!
Dec 23, 2016 2:23 AM

Oct 2011
Can't say I put much (or any) stock in the MAL rating of any show, but I do think this show's fun once you get into the flow of it. It's not exactly breaking new ground or anything for me, but it's doing the things it does better and with more ease than the competition, so that's something.

I'd say this show is a tad underrated, since I'm seeing people call it shit, which it most certainly isn't by a wide margin, but it's not a diamond in the rough either. It's a fun romp with good action given to us by a samurai MC and some classic fantasy tropes duking it out against what is implied to be a Jesus that fell to the dark side when he was dying on the cross. There's no moe-shit like Gate, the boobs are a side-joke instead of a main visual like Madan no Ou to Vanadis, and it feels like a more grounded combat experience than most shounen shows.

The characters aren't terrible, but sadly hasn't been dwelled upon the way the show could've, due to the way it keeps switching between comedy and action. I think that's probably the biggest hemshoe this show has. The tonal shifts can be very jarring and take you out of the story, and the humor itself is rarely what I'd call knee-slapping. Every time I think I can take this show seriously, Saint-Germi and his side-chicks enter the picture, or Oda has to obfuscate his stupidity with a lame joke (which, granted, is a good way of making people underestimate him in-universe, but it makes it harder to take him seriously for the viewer) and I just can't anymore. Thankfully, it's not as bad for me as it could be, but it still steals some of the focus from some otherwise very fun writing, and I halfway wish they'd knock it off and just stick to getting me more scenes of that crazy fighter pilot that swears up a storm shooting dragons instead.

TLDR; I think it's a wee bit underrated, but the comedy does hold the writing of this show back. People are allowed to think it's hit or miss, but for me, it's still a hit because of the action and how well it does its setting compared to the competition.
Who I want to be: Ogiue from Genshiken.
Who I really am: Tsukimi from Kuragehime.

[RAISE YOUR FLAG! intensifies]
Dec 23, 2016 9:05 AM
Dec 2008
Am bothered more by the fact that (once again on MAL), all the reviews still have 3/12 seen. When will it stop?
Dec 23, 2016 5:29 PM
Dec 2012
Cool characters do cool stuff with as much gore as possible for R 17 show. That's pretty much it. People who are looking only for action love it and who seek something more intellectual probably wont. All underrated/overrated thing is based on expectations and way too subjective to be actually worth discussion.
Dec 24, 2016 12:12 AM

Nov 2011
8/10 is too high for this pretentious series
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Dec 24, 2016 1:40 AM

May 2016
ernst said:
8/10 is too high for this pretentious series

How can a show that is all about mindless action be pretentious?
Dec 24, 2016 3:59 AM

Dec 2012
Of course it is getting rated from people who don't even know about a drop of Japanese History let alone the average knowledge of History...

To fully Appreciate this anime you must know about each character and their history ... Atleast the 3 main ones..

Half the Jokes are also based on their History after all...

For me it was a really great show ... 9/10 (Same rating as Ajin S2 which is a big thing)

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Dec 24, 2016 4:10 AM

Sep 2009
Menzo- said:
You're probably overrating it, the only thing commendable about the show is it's art and animation, everything else mediocre.

Pretty much. A poor mans FSN with less emphasis on plot and more on edgy fantasy.
Dec 24, 2016 6:14 AM

Oct 2015
Humors are a turn-off in the earlier episodes but it get moderately better with each episodes. It feel a lot more in place than Hellsing and actually fit the theme, make sense since there are multiple opportunities to use history-based jokes.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Drifters Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2016

205 by nick_el_son »»
Jan 19, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2016

167 by JackFrost1267 »»
Jan 3, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2016

119 by MizuhoKamui »»
Dec 16, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2016

129 by MizuhoKamui »»
Dec 15, 2023 6:38 PM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2016

81 by fathandz »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.